closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is this the 62MAS Re-Edition that we've been waiting for...?

That really is lovely. Hope it doesn’t send me back down the SLA017 path.

Picked mine up. Quick pic outside the AD. I had the SLA017 I think this is nicer

BTW lume isn't unevenly applied that's the shape. There's a kind of arrowhead shape going on with the lume plots on the indices

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    BTW lume isn't unevenly applied that's the shape. There's a kind of arrowhead shape going on with the lume plots on the indices
    That's what I was referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    The shape of the lume vs the markers would drive me nuts.

Picked mine up. Quick pic outside the AD. I had the SLA017 I think this is nicer
    Size wise Vs the 017?

It's probably a bit small by modern standards for my 8 inch wrists but that's fine as I like that retro look

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Size wise Vs the 017?
    Smaller and definitely thinner. Wears smaller than I thought

Well the AD that I ordered from yesterday has told me they didn’t receive full allocation from Seiko so may not be able to supply my order. They are trying to find out from Seiko.

Still have the Goldsmiths order but still not heard anything further from them. Might have to strike this as another one I missed out on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    ...Might have to strike this as another one I missed out on.
    Or pick up Ryan's this weekend [once he gets the feeling back in his hand and can type the PM / ad ].

It's probably a bit small by modern standards for my 8 inch wrists but that's fine as I like that retro look
    Appearing in Sales Corner in 5.4.3.2.1…….

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Or pick up Ryan's this weekend [once he gets the feeling back in his hand and can type the PM / ad ].
    Lol there’s always a chance

There's something about the glass on this and the distortion it provides that makes it different to the SLA017 and feels very retro and plays with the light more. And the compact size makes it all fit together better somehow. It is indeed a lovely thing and not going to SC sorry.

The only weird thing is why there's a black PVD stopper on the strap - a plain SS one would IMHO have looked better

Master

Is this the 62MAS Re-Edition that we've been waiting for...?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Lol

Nice looking watch and I’d like one but knowing it was never an SLA017 would be a problem eventually
    Last edited by Hood; 2nd August 2023 at 13:50.

BTW the strap isn't too tight, it looks like it is squeezing my wrist but my wrist has a weird shape anyway- see pic sans watch

Took a pic that better outlines what it looks like in real life on the wrist as opposed to my blown out pics earlier. Also doing a timekeeping check and will report back tomorrow

Master
    They do look great. I’ll be sticking with my SLA043 though, I love the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    They do look great. I’ll be sticking with my SLA043 though, I love the blue.
    Totally agree with all of the above! Love the look of this but I keep looking at my 043 (on right now) and happy to stick with that...(until they start appearing 2nd hand, possibly)

Well I just got an email that the Goldsmiths order has been dispatched! Happy days.

As a final musing for today, I remember pre ordering this on the day the watch was announced thinking it was wildly overpriced but we are what we are in this hobby and so I paid for it. There was also a lot of noise about this being the same price category as a Tudor Black Bay and how crazy that was.

Anyway having spent a day with it I was thinking earlier what a lot of watch for the money it is! Just shows.

Re the comparison with the Black Bay, well from a value perspective the Tudor is hard to beat against any watch. The Seiko probably looks more expensive and has a true in house movement vs the Tudor Kenessi but no bracelet etc. Timekeeping I'm checking.

So I think making a like for like comparison with a Black Bay misses the point as totally different watches. I would say vs an Omega SM300 at RRP the Seiko is pound for pound comparatively decent value. It isn't a better watch than the SM300 of course but is 60% of the price. Vs the Black Bay it feels and looks a fair bit more luxurious with the dialwork and indice/hand finishing. Case finishing on the Seiko is zaratsu 'scratch magnet' mirror polishing on the side and a matte polish (not really brushed just matte) on the front of the case. Nicely signed crown.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think it is overpriced compared to most brands out there, and the one brand it was compared to pre launch (Tudor) beats out pretty much every luxury brand on value for money anyway. I think the price point in hindsight is fine if timekeeping holds up and I'll have that answer tomorrow although in the 5 hours I've been testing so far it's maybe a fraction of a second fast so I'm expecting it to come either into COSC specs or close to it.

Well I just got an email that the Goldsmiths order has been dispatched! Happy days.

Happy for you - enjoy!

Happy for you - enjoy!
    Cheers! Looking forward to this so I’ll probably miss the delivery tomorrow lol

Craftsman
    As a final musing for today, I remember pre ordering this on the day the watch was announced thinking it was wildly overpriced but we are what we are in this hobby and so I paid for it. There was also a lot of noise about this being the same price category as a Tudor Black Bay and how crazy that was.

Anyway having spent a day with it I was thinking earlier what a lot of watch for the money it is! Just shows.

Re the comparison with the Black Bay, well from a value perspective the Tudor is hard to beat against any watch. The Seiko probably looks more expensive and has a true in house movement vs the Tudor Kenessi but no bracelet etc. Timekeeping I'm checking.

So I think making a like for like comparison with a Black Bay misses the point as totally different watches. I would say vs an Omega SM300 at RRP the Seiko is pound for pound comparatively decent value. It isn't a better watch than the SM300 of course but is 60% of the price. Vs the Black Bay it feels and looks a fair bit more luxurious with the dialwork and indice/hand finishing. Case finishing on the Seiko is zaratsu 'scratch magnet' mirror polishing on the side and a matte polish (not really brushed just matte) on the front of the case. Nicely signed crown.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think it is overpriced compared to most brands out there, and the one brand it was compared to pre launch (Tudor) beats out pretty much every luxury brand on value for money anyway. I think the price point in hindsight is fine if timekeeping holds up and I'll have that answer tomorrow although in the 5 hours I've been testing so far it's maybe a fraction of a second fast so I'm expecting it to come either into COSC specs or close to it.
    As someone who owns both the BB54 and the SJE, I think this is about right. In my opinion, the BB54 is outstanding value: it corrects most of the faults I found with my 14060M (terrible lume, terrible bracelet, Mercedes hands) while keeping most of the good bits. In the face of the watch market’s ridiculous price inflation, it represents an absolute steal.

The SJE is a better watch than the the BB54, in my view, as a sports watch. The face is equally as well designed (no mean feat), lume is better, crown is better, bezel is better, and the dial surface is about the same. The strap is excellent, although not on par with the BB: the BB54 bracelet is one of the few modern bracelet designs that understands that an 80g bracelet is just too heavy.

I am delighted to own both and will be undergoing a purge of suddenly pointless watches as a result.

24 hour wrist accuracy check completed. +2 spd which is excellent!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mines about the same, got to say a lot better than other seikos I’ve had, even a hi beat one

Does anyone know where to get an accurate reproduction of the tropic straps the 62 MAS came on in the 1960s? I've managed to locate a used original but it is eye wateringly expensive and I don't want a modern tropic I want something that looks like the original

Does anyone know where to get an accurate reproduction of the tropic straps the 62 MAS came on in the 1960s? I've managed to locate a used original but it is eye wateringly expensive and I don't want a modern tropic I want something that looks like the original
    Maybe something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266321264585

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Maybe something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266321264585
    Yeah close but the keeper isn't quite right. I bought this yesterday after a tip off on WUS which is closer but I'd love a 1:1 reproduction - Seiko if you are listening get it made!

Craftsman
    If anyone is after one Ryan from Francis and Gaye has just posted up on FB that someone has pulled out of buying so has one available.

Size comparison with BB54. Pic stolen from Reddit.

Yeah close but the keeper isn't quite right. I bought this yesterday after a tip off on WUS which is closer but I'd love a 1:1 reproduction - Seiko if you are listening get it made!
    How much was that Ryan? Does not look a proper Tropic.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    How much was that Ryan? Does not look a proper Tropic.
    $43.99 plus $15 shipping from US I think.

The original 62MAS one I located is around £870 with taxes!!!

Edit found the listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134592525...mis&media=COPY
    Last edited by ryanb741; 3rd August 2023 at 19:49.

$43.99 plus $15 shipping from US
    Those are not genuine. Tropic Style only.

$43.99 plus $15 shipping from US I think.

The original 62MAS one I located is around £870 with taxes!!!

Edit found the listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134592525...mis&media=COPY
    Yeah the genuine 62MAS strap I found was £870 which is bonkers so this looked closest to the original without spending something crazy

BTW the strap isn't too tight, it looks like it is squeezing my wrist but my wrist has a weird shape anyway- see pic sans watch
    True dat.

24 hour wrist accuracy check completed. +2 spd which is excellent!
    Impressive given the [-15,+10] spec.

Is this the 62MAS Re-Edition that we've been waiting for...?

https://unclestraps.com/en-gb/produc...-in-19-20-22mm

Last edited by Lammylee; 3rd August 2023 at 20:27.

Master
    Not if you're after one with exactly the same diamond hole pattern as the original strap - been looking for one of those for a long time myself, with no success.

It's nice to see that many people are enjoying this watch. I had my doubts when it was first released but I think it's an instant hit in reality.

Grand Master
    Why does it have to be genuine!,the watch aint an original 62MAS so imo the strap needn't be,will be perfectly ok.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Mines about the same, got to say a lot better than other seikos I’ve had, even a hi beat one
    did you own an SLA017 or other SLA previously by way of comparision? a pal of mine has managed to get one from Beaverbrooks and seems happy with it - as he was worrying about the Seiko alignment issues on cheaper watches. It was touch and go with the allocations so I'm pleased he managed to bag one. He is popping over tomorrow so it will be interesting to compare his new SJE with my 017 & 037..

One of Ryan's photos seemed extra distorted through the crystal and I thought he was onto something with his musings on how the crystal seemed different to the 017 he had before. Now I have seen a few short video's from 'engineer wanabee' on Youtube though I'm not so sure.. Looks pretty much similar to the 017 to me, just a bit smaller - but I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Comparison vs BB58 (pic taken from WUS), not my pic

Mine just arrived. It’s a stunning watch! I’m really pleased with it based on initial impressions.

The stock strap was way too long for me so I’ve swapped it on to a vintage style rubber I ordered off eBay that does the job for now.

Couple of wrist shots:

Master
    These look really nice, looking really good on the slimmer wrist and it’s great that they stuck to the original sizes. I might see if I can find an SLA17 to try on as the size would work better for me . I wonder if the newer movement will be used to make a slimmer cased MM300. That would be cool:)

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    These look really nice, looking really good on the slimmer wrist and it’s great that they stuck to the original sizes. I might see if I can find an SLA17 to try on as the size would work better for me . I wonder if the newer movement will be used to make a slimmer cased MM300. That would be cool:)

It has got to be nailed on that they'll go the same route and make a correctly sized reissue of the 6159 (they did the SLA025 a few years back, a year after the release of the SLA017).

Mine just arrived. It’s a stunning watch! I’m really pleased with it based on initial impressions.

The stock strap was way too long for me so I’ve swapped it on to a vintage style rubber I ordered off eBay that does the job for now.

Went with the same Tropic Sport recreation myself but I am on the lookout for something more original to the period that doesn't cost daft money.

Not proving too easy so far...

Couple of wrist shots:

I hope this one’s a keeper! It should be, looks great.

Master
    nice one waser :)

Cheers guys. Plan is to keep this one lol

I was advised yesterday that Seiko are working on and will be releasing a cheaper alternative under the prospex line in various dial configurations but with the same case dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I was advised yesterday that Seiko are working on and will be releasing a cheaper alternative under the prospex line in various dial configurations but with the same case dimensions.
    That sounds promising!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Now you are talking, a quartz version would make a great holiday watch.