closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What would you have done?

What would you have done?

Earlier this year Lynn and I were on holiday. One evening we ended up sat chatting to a couple slightly younger than ourselves. The subject at one point turned to watches and the guy proudly showed me his Omega Seamaster and saying he also had a Breitling and a Rolex at home.

The only thing was, the 'Seamaster' was very clearly a fake! The HE valve was in the wrong place, (bang on 10 o-clock), and the bezel appeared to be a fixed part of the case!

He said that since he bought it the bezel wouldn't turn and that the shop that sold it to him told him never to unscrew the crown at 10 - though they never told him that it was a HE valve or what it was for.

I politely bit my tongue and suggested he took it back to the shop he bought it from and get them to have a look at the bezel.

But should I have told him it was a fake? What would you have done?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Probably would have raised the issue of fakes at the urinals or maybe on the way out?

Tricky!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldve just done the uh huh, yes, lovely watches, bit and left it well alone.
    No point getting into debates with these people, and theres a high chance that he knew it wasn't kosher.

A lot depends on the guy - e.g. did he seem like a genuine innocent victim (I mean, come on, a SM dive bezel that's fixed, is he an idiot?!), where did he buy it / the other watches from. If genuine, I would have politely raised my suspicions at a suitable point in the conversation and I suggested he take it to an Omega AD for peace of mind (offering to go with him if local). I tend to avoid watch discussion with strangers, you never know ...
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 3rd July 2023 at 12:02. Reason: typo

I think you did the right thing telling him to go back to the original shop, even if you knew that was probably a hut on a beach somewhere.

Craftsman
    If it were a friend of mine, I'd say something but someone met on holiday, I'd not.

Master
    I had a similar experience on holiday a few years ago and I suspected the person knew as well. I didn’t say anything, but couldn’t resist asking him towards the end our stay why he didn’t wear his dive watch in the pool! We didn’t speak again.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    If it were a friend of mine, I'd say something but someone met on holiday, I'd not.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I had a similar experience on holiday a few years ago and I suspected the person knew as well. I didn’t say anything, but couldn’t resist asking him towards the end our stay why he didn’t wear his dive watch in the pool! We didn’t speak again.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post

Me too - I'd have kept quiet in your position.

I'd have pointed it out as a fake.

Perhaps the owner didn't know?

I recall when I used to look at the Friday thread I spotted a fake SMP on here.

Messaged the owner who was grateful for me pointing it out and had bought it from a pawn shop for a decent wedge of money.

He got a refund I'm glad to say.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I don’t think there is anything to be gained by mentioning it to a stranger
    I think suggesting they take it to a boutique to get the bezel looked at is the sensible solution

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Earlier this year Lynn and I were on holiday. One evening we ended up sat chatting to a couple slightly younger than ourselves. The subject at one point turned to watches and the guy proudly showed me his Omega Seamaster and saying he also had a Breitling and a Rolex at home.

The only thing was, the 'Seamaster' was very clearly a fake! The HE valve was in the wrong place, (bang on 10 o-clock), and the bezel appeared to be a fixed part of the case!

He said that since he bought it the bezel wouldn't turn and that the shop that sold it to him told him never to unscrew the crown at 10 - though they never told him that it was a HE valve or what it was for.

I politely bit my tongue and suggested he took it back to the shop he bought it from and get them to have a look at the bezel.

But should I have told him it was a fake? What would you have done?

Would have spent a few minutes wondering what sort of shop he bought it from, then I'd have forgotten about it.

I just look vaguely interested and say what the person wants me to say. Last time watches came up was outside a pub, someone talking to a friend of mine kept staring at my watch and then asked if it was a Rolex. I tend not to wear mine in summer, just to avoid this kind of thing, so I said it was a Seiko (SLA023, the blue MM300). He was completely dismissive of it and told me he'd just been to Southampton to buy a Rolex, was told he couldn't have one and bought a TAG instead. I made the correct oooh and aaaah sounds and wandered off, laughing to myself.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    I would've nodded and agreed with him, nothing to be gained by claiming his watch was fake. Assuming he'd had the watch a while the likelihood of him being able to approach the seller was slim, telling him the watch was fake wasn`t going to help him and could potentially have spoiled his day big-style. Maybe he knew it was hooky, maybe not, I might've been tempted to raise the topic of fake watches in the discussion and see how he reacted. It's possible he was getting a kick out of believing he'd fooled someone into thinking his fake watch was real, best thing to do was let him have his fun!

Whichever way I look at this there's no way I would've called him out on the watch and told him it was a fake.

Master
    Would have tackled him into the pool next time he stood up and then check to see if his watch survived.

In reality I would have probably nodded while saying nice and having another sip of my margarita before giving it no further thought.

Grand Master
    Dont usually converse to strangers re watches,friends yes as some are also into their watches.
    But coincidentally and unusually for me n her to pop into our local micro brewery on Saturday for 1 drink at 4pm and left at closing time at 10:30!.Never chatted about watches as much with friends & strangers!.1 chap mentioned my 2254 because he had one on,He noticed it due to my Omega nato & liked the look.
    And a few others got chatting once we were heard and admiring our watches,but then not difficult in a room that was full with 10 people in it!.
    So a good evening with talk about watches and the addition of some nice beers too.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Probably would have raised the issue of fakes at the urinals or maybe on the way out?

Tricky!
    +1

What position should the HE valve be at then?
    I have just checked my Planet Ocean on my wrist and the HE valve is exactly at 10 o'Clock - has the Omega dealer sold me a fake?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    I have just checked my Planet Ocean on my wrist and the HE valve is exactly at 10 o'Clock - has the Omega dealer sold me a fake?

I think He was referring to the SMPs where the helium valve is slightly above the 10.
    Yours is ok for the PO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post

It's bang on 10 on the Planet Ocean, but slightly and noticeably above 10 on the Seamaster.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I'd have pointed out the fake SMP and also asked if his partners boobs were fake too, just for the bants

I'd assume he knows well it's a fake and leave him to it.

I’d fight him

Or more realistically said hey cool watch. And moved subject on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine my surprise when I bought an Omega Showermaster on the Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok for $20 only to find out it was a fake when I got home

I bought a new build house, (first mistake but that’s another story) once almost of them had been built, the dads got together for a night out. On the night I was told by the Mrs not to show off and wear something fancy on the wrist. I put on a Helson 300 Sharmaster. One of the older guys, in his mid 60’s, out that night had from a distance a ceramic gmt master. When the evening drinks flowed on, I said nice watch and he showed it to me. An obvious fake and really bad one. I was too polite to say anything but he did say that it is a rare watch and that he bought it at Hamiltons or Laings on George Street. Again I didn’t say anything other than nice watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    A lot depends on the guy - e.g. did he seem like a genuine innocent victim (I mean, come on, a SM dive bezel that's fixed, is he an idiot?!), where did he buy it / the other watches from. If genuine, I would have politely raised my suspicions at a suitable point in the conversation and I suggested he take it to an Omega AD for peace of mind (offering to go with him if local). I tend to avoid watch discussion with strangers, you never know ...
    Spot on I think, really depends on the person!

I’d have told him to take it to an AD, to get the bezel fixed. Let them break the news to him

I recalled years ago, telling a professor to screw back the loosen crown of his Rolex sub..just couldn't help it