closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacing 30year old conservatory

Craftsman

Replacing 30year old conservatory

Its leaking and most of the panes are blown and measures 4.3m by 3m and is attached to the rear of the house. Usual PVC white thing. The whole property has been reviewed by the planning dept some 25 years ago which noted the conservatory etc so its clearly an established part of the property etc

Wanted to replace it with something more energy efficient etc - looking a SIP panels with a flat foof with a couple of skylights.

I am getting differing counsel on whether Building Control should be involved- or indeed whether I can remove current thing and replace with SIP construct with same footprint area and not as tall etc

Thanks in advance - Tim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is there still a thermal barrier between the house and conservatory (back door?). If yes then it’s probably classed as a lean to so no probs. If no barrier then its just a quick call to local authority to ask are you OK replacing ‘like for like’?

30 years old. Knock it down and start again IMHO. That’s what we did, otherwise you are trying to polish a turd.

I can't see why Building Control wouldn't to be notified, you're demolishing and existing structure and building a new one.

Unfortunately that opens a can of worms as your foundation will need to be checked, and in most cases Conservatory companies in the 90's didn't dig deep enough footings to support a proper single storey extension to current regs. That was the case with mine which meant digging out the concrete base and existing footings, digging deeper and pumping in concrete.

You wouldn't need to notify if you were replacing the glazing and roof on your conservatory but sounds like that's not in your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Conservatory companies in the 90's didn't dig deep enough footings to support a proper single storey extension to current regs. That was the case with mine which meant digging out the concrete base and existing footings, digging deeper and pumping in concrete.
    Yep, this exactly. I think our previous 20 yo conservatory had 1ft foundations, whereas you will need 1m for anything useful.

Replacing 30year old conservatory

Last edited by noTAGlove; 9th March 2024 at 12:21.