closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RSC

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.

RSC

Just about to send a watch to Rolex for servicing, on timing it's running around +1 second a day, but being just on 10 years old i feel it's over due, my main dilemma is should i let them polish it ?

I thought this was going to be about the forthcoming production of King Lear.

Disappointed

Do you want it to look brand new when it comes back or are you happy to let them remove some metal.

Grand Master
    Just get it serviced.

Blog Entries
    Just leave it and wait untill it's going to run a lot different than your usual results.

The service costs won't be any higher.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    Just about to send a watch to Rolex for servicing, on timing it's running around +1 second a day, but being just on 10 years old i feel it's over due, my main dilemma is should i let them polish it ?
    I am in the same situation and undecided if I should polish the watch or not so will watch this post with interest.

I am inclined to just have the movement only serviced as the watch is now 13 years old (running at less than +1s p/d) and leave the case and bracelet unpolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Just leave it and wait untill it's going to run a lot different than your usual results.

The service costs won't be any higher.
    The service costs could potentially be higher as RSC have recently increased the cost of a service from £600 to £700 so there is the possibility of an increase in cost.

Master
    I wouldn’t trust them, but that’s me.

Blog Entries
    I’m not sure I’d get it serviced at all if it’s running at +1sec/day as long as the amplitude is ok? If going near water I’d maybe have the wrt tested though. (I’ve had new Rolex running a bit faster than that).

Depends which camp you are in. Oils from 2012 should be modern so don’t gum up like the old ones (happy to be corrected on this).

https://nobswatchmaker.com/blog/the-...watch-serviced

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th June 2023 at 12:45.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Do you want it to look brand new when it comes back or are you happy to let them remove some metal.
    It's in pretty good nick anyway a few surface marks as you'd expect, but the purist in me is saying leave them alone.

It's in pretty good nick anyway a few surface marks as you'd expect, but the purist in me is saying leave them alone.
    I sent my 5512 off and said absolutely no polishing. Ultrasonic clean is fine when watch in bits, but no polishing.

1 second a day?

I wouldn't bother.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’m not sure I’d get it serviced at all if it’s running at +1sec/day as long as the amplitude is ok? If going near water I’d maybe have the wrt tested though. (I’ve had new Rolex running a bit faster than that).

Depends which camp you are in. Oils from 2012 should be modern so don’t gum up like the old ones (happy to be corrected on this).

https://nobswatchmaker.com/blog/the-...watch-serviced

Martyn.
    Brilliant read that Martyn, looks like i'm in the get pressure tested mode for now.

Master
    I sent my 5512 off and said absolutely no polishing. Ultrasonic clean is fine when watch in bits, but no polishing.
    Looks like i'm headed in the same direction to be honest, although from what others are saying at +1 sec i might get away with it for a bit longer, i'll get Robinson to pressure test it for me though, see how that goes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    1 second a day?

I wouldn't bother.
    My thoughts exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance it’s coming back from service equal to or better than 1 spd.

To answer the original question I wouldn’t let them polish it. Though it sounds like it may not require a service at all. How much have you worn it in the last ten years?

Grand Master
    OP doesn't mention how much use the watch has had over the years, and that's a very relevant point. It's likely that the lubrication to the points that affect timekeeping and amplitude is holding up OK, but other parts of the watch (keyless work, rotor bearing and post, reversers) could be lacking lubrication and starting to wear. Unfortunately there's only one way to be certain and that involves stripping the watch down and observing carefully, which is a moot point that involves servicing it! I had a similar situation with my Speedmaster Reduced, owned new by me since 2004 and eventually serviced by me in 2019, the watch had been worn very sparingly over the years and it was interesting to see how the original lubrication was still present in some places but not others!

Given that prices for servicing will only increase, I think I would have it serviced and I would get it lightly refinished to restore the appearance to virtually 'as new'. I would be tempted to send it to a Rolex accredited indy such as Duncan Potter (Genesis) and discuss the job, making clear what I wanted with regard to refinishing. Provided it doesn`t involve significant metal removal (it shouldn't if done properly) II don't see the point in not getting the watch looking new and sharp again, there's a lot of rubbish talked about not refinishing watches and it's generally from folks who have been influenced by poor examples that have been grossly over-polished. In typical internet fashion the subject has gathered momentum like a snowball rolling down hill.

At 10 years old I would service it, and if it was a newish watch with little to no polishing I would accept a polish. I did with the last 3 watches I sent, a 2010 16610, and two older Explorers that had never been to RSC, a 16570 and a 14270.

If old and heavily polished I would think differently

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    To answer the original question I wouldn’t let them polish it. Though it sounds like it may not require a service at all. How much have you worn it in the last ten years?
    very sporadically special occasions that sort of thing, along with the odd week or two.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    OP doesn't mention how much use the watch has had over the years, and that's a very relevant point. It's likely that the lubrication to the points that affect timekeeping and amplitude is holding up OK, but other parts of the watch (keyless work, rotor bearing and post, reversers) could be lacking lubrication and starting to wear. Unfortunately there's only one way to be certain and that involves stripping the watch down and observing carefully, which is a moot point that involves servicing it! I had a similar situation with my Speedmaster Reduced, owned new by me since 2004 and eventually serviced by me in 2019, the watch had been worn very sparingly over the years and it was interesting to see how the original lubrication was still present in some places but not others!

Given that prices for servicing will only increase, I think I would have it serviced and I would get it lightly refinished to restore the appearance to virtually 'as new'. I would be tempted to send it to a Rolex accredited indy such as Duncan Potter (Genesis) and discuss the job, making clear what I wanted with regard to refinishing. Provided it doesn`t involve significant metal removal (it shouldn't if done properly) II don't see the point in not getting the watch looking new and sharp again, there's a lot of rubbish talked about not refinishing watches and it's generally from folks who have been influenced by poor examples that have been grossly over-polished. In typical internet fashion the subject has gathered momentum like a snowball rolling down hill.
    I have spoken to Duncan he say's he not able to do this particular model because of something to do with Rolex training and lack of equipment, to service the newer cases, and recommended sending it back to Rolex, given your experience i will very much take it into consideration cheers.

I have spoken to Duncan he say's he not able to do this particular model because of something to do with Rolex training and lack of equipment, to service the newer cases, and recommended sending it back to Rolex, given your experience i will very much take it into consideration cheers.
    There are other independents. When I was looking to get my 5512 serviced I contacted Duncan and he couldn’t do it. I then contacted Prestige Watch Services who have done Rolex services for me in the past.

https://www.prestigetimeservices.co.uk/

There were happy to take on the work, their only question was the condition of the plexiglass as they cannot replace those. Any watch that needs a plexiglass replacing needs to go back to Rolex now. Mine was fine, so off the watch went, due back at the end of this week. They are Rolex accredited and only use Rolex supplied parts. They can also service SDs, which many independents cannot.

I asked for the case and bracelet to be cleaned, but not polished.

Master
    There are other independents. When I was looking to get my 5512 serviced I contacted Duncan and he couldn’t do it. I then contacted Prestige Watch Services who have done Rolex services for me in the past.

https://www.prestigetimeservices.co.uk/

There were happy to take on the work, their only question was the condition of the plexiglass as they cannot replace those. Any watch that needs a plexiglass replacing needs to go back to Rolex now. Mine was fine, so off the watch went, due back at the end of this week. They are Rolex accredited and only use Rolex supplied parts. They can also service SDs, which many independents cannot.

I asked for the case and bracelet to be cleaned, but not polished.
    Let us know how you find them when the watch comes back, doesn't have any Plexiglass so should be okay, how long has the watch been away ?

I dropped mine off at RSC a few weeks ago. No polish for the head but ok on the bracelet. They are quoting 20 days for it to be ready which I thought was ok

Let us know how you find them when the watch comes back, doesn't have any Plexiglass so should be okay, how long has the watch been away ?
    Will do, it is due to be posted back to me tomorrow, hopefully in time for the Friday thread. When I sent it they said 8 to 10 weeks, but it will be 12 this week which is fairly normal for an independent. The good thing is you can chat to the guy Paul who does the work, so not a faceless organisation like RSC.

How does the price compare to RSC?

To service or not to service, that is the question.

I would personally wait until it started misbehaving.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I paid just short of £600 for a full service with no polishing. Basically £480 + VAT and postage.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    To service or not to service, that is the question.

I would personally wait until it started misbehaving.
    Depends if you can be definite about the timing of the last service, if you bought a watch new or it came with a Rolex service card then it should be fairly easy. A lot of pre-owned watches claim to have been serviced (by our guy in the back who used to work for Rolex etc) but can you be sure it was done properly.

I bought my 5512 in 2017 and the seller claimed it had been serviced although no proof was provided, thus the old adage of if there isn’t any proof then it didn’t happen. I sent my watch off this year and the guy said it was as dry as a bone and hadn’t been serviced for a long time. It was working okay and keeping good timing, but what damage was going on inside?

Would you wait for your car to break down before having a routine service.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    RSC cost is currently £700 including vat.

I went through this dilemma at Christmas with a Kermit from 2008.

I had it serviced at RSC, I'm in Harrogate so it was the easiest place to get it serviced as the AD takes care of postage/transportation.

I opted for no polish as I want to keep wearing it and didn't want the sinking feeling the first time you scratch it (again)

Master
    Are we talking Sports model with flat case sides here ?

Duncan at Genesis I believe, hasn’t been able to do these for a while due to the financial commitment required for the equipment and training to refinish cases to Rolex standards.

Think you maybe North West based ? All mine go to Sean Yates at https://watchrepair.expert. His work is excellent and he’s a lovely bloke, very knowledgeable and highly recommended. He’s told me the Rolex 31xx type movements are quite prone to rotor and post issues once the lubrication starts to run out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk