closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Glasto 23 - who have you enjoyed?

Axl Rose was awful, but Guns & Roses were good despite him & Elton John was brilliant.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I enjoyed Elton more than I thought I would, he was sounding a bit "I'm till tanding" in parts but the crowd loved it and it was hit after hit after hit.

While I know and quite like the hits of GnR the rest of the set left me a bit cold, slash is amazing but axel.....oh dear.

Really like war on drugs, just need to watch leftfield the chems and rick astley doijg the smiths now.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    We watched Fat Boy on the iPlayer
    Thought you were talking about Sir Reggie for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by melhick View Post
    Editors on Sunday were outstanding, QOTSA were very good, some of the vocals a bit muffled, but still very good.
    I just found Editors set on iPlayer.

They rank as one of the best acts I've seen live and, as you say, they were excellent at Glastonbury!

Them or any of the headliners? No contest for me!

I'm still surprised people rate Elton's set, especially as many were panning McCartney's last year!

Also, Axl Rose was terrible, so I thought GnR were! Doesn't matter how good the rest of the band is, if the singer is destroying it!

ETA, trawling through and really enjoying Billy Nomates set as well (I like her stuff generally), although she seemed to be performing to a backing track a la record shop appearances!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 26th June 2023 at 16:37.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Phoenix we’re brilliant. Worth a look

Master
    Found Candi Statin’s set, in mitigation she’s 83 but there are times when one should just pack in and walk away….Axl read this!

Contrast to that is watching The Manics - superb! Very enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I’m in a small minority, but watching 80 year olds is loosing its appeal for me. I saw Elton John at the Liverpool Empire in 1975 on his louder than Concord tour, but he walked onto the stage on Sunday like he had shit himself.

Debbie Harry looked like someone’s gran jumping around in a mini skirt, wasn’t good.

For context I’ve seen The Who 16 times, but about 6 or 7 years ago I called it quits, it’s embarrassing. Okay, these old rockers surround themselves with young quality musicians and they still have the showmanship, but when when Elton, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey start singing, that cannot be disguised, they are shadows of their former selves.

I guess people just want to see rock legends, but they need to be honest. I saw Bob Dylan in 1996 in Liverpool and spent most of the concert in the bar watching England in the Euros semi - he was bloody awful and England didn’t win either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Maybe I’m in a small minority, but watching 80 year olds is loosing its appeal for me. I saw Elton John at the Liverpool Empire in 1975 on his louder than Concord tour, but he walked onto the stage on Sunday like he had shit himself.

Debbie Harry looked like someone’s gran jumping around in a mini skirt, wasn’t good.

For context I’ve seen The Who 16 times, but about 6 or 7 years ago I called it quits, it’s embarrassing. Okay, these old rockers surround themselves with young quality musicians and they still have the showmanship, but when when Elton, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey start singing, that cannot be disguised, they are shadows of their former selves.

I guess people just want to see rock legends, but they need to be honest. I saw Bob Dylan in 1996 in Liverpool and spent most of the concert in the bar watching England in the Euros semi - he was bloody awful and England didn’t win either.
    Makes you wonder who is headlining next year - becoming a bit of a old fogie event regarding the headline slot rather then huge rock stars in their prime

Master
    Agree with last 2 points
    Needs to get some bands in their prime as headliners though we'd then just moan that the modern music was crap.
    I suppose at the end of the day Glastonbury is a middle aged. middle class music festival.
    Coldplay perfect for that demographic.

My own take on this is that there aren’t the superstar bands that can headline somewhere like Glastonbury with such huge crossover appeal. Yes, you have bands like BTS who sell out wherever they go but how many of our generation would be tuning in to watch a K pop band. Muse and Coldplay are probably the exceptions who are still able to perform as good as the early days. That’s why Glastonbury turn to the old masters.

I enjoyed Elton John on Sunday but I couldn’t stop thinking of Vic Reeves’ pub singer from Shooting Stars a lot of the time. Debbie Harry did better than I expected. As for Dave Grohl, his voice just isn’t what it was. I’m just glad I’ve seen them enough times with him on top form. Many songwriters probably start out not thinking they’ll be singing the same songs on stage 40 years later with all the problems of a reduced vocal range

Master
    Blog Entries
    Was Diana Ross headliner last year. Remember that being bloody awful. Just kept shouting the odd word and “yeah” now and then whilst backing singers did main singing lol.

Master
    Seen Foo Fighters twice live. First time was very early days.. they were on main stage at T in the park at about 4 in the afternoon. 2nd time was a few years ago in Belfast. Both times were really good. I think they played for about 3hrs in Belfast.

It was good to see them turn up at Glastonbury what with the Taylor Hawkins thing, but, I thought Dave struggled a bit and was a lot more shouty than normal.

I enjoyed QOTSA on Sunday night a LOT more. That being said, I’ll still be trying to get tickets for the Foos UK tour !

As an aside, Frank Carter supported the Foos in Belfast. I’d never listened to their stuff prior, but were very enjoyable… so much so that I bought tickets to see them a few months later in Glasgow.

I think Foo Fighters ticket go on pre-sale at 9am.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tempted to grab some tickets for Foos tomorrow as my daughter badgering me.

Never seen them in a stadium and not keen on much recent stuff. Debut album, Colour and the Shape and Wasting Light more my cup of tea. Saw them on first ever tour Brixton 95 (filmed for MTV), Astoria 97 and think even Southampton Guildhall which shows how big they have become haha
    Last edited by kultschar; 28th June 2023 at 00:23.

Talking of Roger Daltrey, did anyone see The Hu? Folk rock at its best!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I liked Sir E's performance but was a little disappointed at the BBC coverage. The band line up was superb and included (probably) the most entertaining rock percussionist alive - who hardly ever featured on the coverage

Master
    I didn't get to Glastonbury and saw Springsteen in Sweden instead. Admittedly some of Bruce's upper register is a bit, er, suspect these days, but then it always was. He's wearing well, is still full of energy and and the band are on peak form; in many respects better than 40 years back when I saw him on The River tour. That said, I hope it's his last tour as I'd hate to see him become a panto act. Oh yes I would.

Saw Elton John (also in Sweden) in 2019 and it was obvious that his voice was gone then. The show was fantastic, Ray Cooper is still the world's most impressive percussionist, but I came away thinking that even with backing singers doing some heavy lifting, Elton should have stopped a decade back. The four years since I saw him have not been kind.

Just wish I'd been there to see Rick 'n' Blossoms do The Smiths. Caught up on iPlayer and it was clearly an awesome show.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Makes you wonder who is headlining next year - becoming a bit of a old fogie event regarding the headline slot rather then huge rock stars in their prime
    It's the Foo Fighters & Taylor Swift.

Just got Foo tickets for London Stadium next year. Woohoo!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Just got Foo tickets for London Stadium next year. Woohoo!
    Yeah me too after a million refreshes as I totally forgot about it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Agree with last 2 points
    Needs to get some bands in their prime as headliners though we'd then just moan that the modern music was crap.
    I suppose at the end of the day Glastonbury is a middle aged. middle class music festival.
    Coldplay perfect for that demographic.
    Exactly right which is the reason that so many past it old fogeys are the headliners - plus the price of the tickets.

I've seen lots of bands in their prime, much of the music I appreciate is from the past but don't want to see them well past their best as a sort of tribute band of themselves.

I'm an old codger myself but I'd rather see some young and vibrant bands like Royal Blood.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'd rather see some young and vibrant bands like Royal Blood.
    I wasn't that impressed with Royal Blood when I saw them, and even less so with their recent onstage tantrums. But I take your point about younger bands.

That said, it often takes 10-15 years on the road for a band to be any good at a festival where, let's be honest, the key is to turn up on time* and keep the crowd happy rather than try out your new space-jazz direction. I first saw Chvrches a decade back and they looked scared of the crowd, which you'd certainly not accuse them of now.

*Yes, Lana, I'm looking at you.

Master
    This is definitely the grumpy old man *I saw xxxx 25 years ago when they were good* thread!

For me the festival season is about discovery. The headliners are always hit and miss, but it’s the acts you’ve never heard (of) or didn’t expect to enjoy that can make it special. Last year for me it was Wet Leg who were amazing.

This year has to go to Rick Astley - pub singer / family entertainer by day turns into sweary jäger bomb swilling Morrisey tribute act by night. If it wasn’t on TV no one would believe it happened. Maneskin immediately after were excellent and terrifying in equal measure. Lewis Capaldi was emotional to watch.

Still need to catch up on QOS and Loyle Carner, then I’ll trawl through for some hidden gems. Thank you iPlayer.

Coincidentally, I saw an old codger live in Glasgow last Thursday.
    At 74, Peter Gabriel's voice is still as good as ever.....maybe they should have used him!!

Glasto 23 - who have you enjoyed?

I’m a long time Keane fan, seen them many times. Discussion was being had the other night on their FB page about they should be at Glastonbury. They appeal to a smaller demographic although that’s probably quite big but there is no way I’d pay £400 to go watch them which would necessitate me having to shyte where I stood…..
    They need the headline grabbers to fill the fields IMO. Just so happens a lot of them are older

Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 28th June 2023 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    They need the headline grabbers to fill the fields IMO. Just so happens a lot of them are older

Just a thought, but they could have 3 legends slots instead of just the Sunday afternoon one. Would suit older punters who would want to see those acts also.

Craftsman

I’m sure I read somewhere about Elton John having knee or hip surgery, which could possibly explain why he was walking how he was on Sunday?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    I’m sure I read somewhere about Elton John having knee or hip surgery, which could possibly explain why he was walking how he was on Sunday?

Probably had something Furnished
    RIAC

For a lot of the huge bands of 70s and 80s - yes, a lot of the magic has gone.

Some good ones not overly-reliant on vocals have endured (Quo, AC/DC for example) but for the rest - I don’t get too excited about.

I’m a big fan of TheClassicRockShow - who do fantastic renditions of the icons of ‘70s/‘80s and all absolutely live- 3hrs for £45.

https://youtu.be/QHVQ0qmhXFQ

But we have friends who resolutely eschew TCRS but instead go and see Springsteen, Clapton, etc who to me - are struggling now.

I guess that is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

I thought Blondie were ok, Debbie's vocals were never great but she sang within herself to not go to far out of range, Clem Burke is still a top Drummer great stick action and even Glen Matlock from the Sex Pistols on Bass how many thought he could even play ?

There was a healthy crowd for Qotsa good solid rock band
    Elton isn't for everyone, glad he didn't get up to much he looked very unsteady on his feet..

Master
    After drinking a couple of bottles of Blue Nun!

I discovered Blondie when I was 15 and she was singing at the CBGB in NYC in 1975. I was with a schoolmate named Denis (French as well) and we saw her a few times there, as well as the Ramones and the local star at the time, Patty Smith.
    Debbie was close to 40 at the time but we were completely smitten and because of the venue she was very approachable. She always had a nice word when we saw her. I have blue eyes ( unlike Denis) and we always thought that the part in French of her 1978 song was a reference to us both (and will not hear any evidence to the contrary).
    Patty Smith didn’t like her rising fame and Debbie had to go to a different venue in the Bowery where we saw her a couple of times too.
    I think I’m avoid her bit in Glasto on iplayer.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    We saw The War on Drugs in Halifax on Tuesday…if they are as good tonight they’ll be the best band of the weekend so far.

I saw them week last Sunday at the Eden Project. Great gig and a great venue. Thought they were excellent at Glasto but not much love on here…..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I saw them week last Sunday at the Eden Project. Great gig and a great venue. Thought they were excellent at Glasto but not much love on here…..

I’m with you - they’re excellent

Editors
    Weyes Blood
    Manics
    Chvrches
    Pale Waves
    Alison Goldfrapp
    Fever Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I discovered Blondie when I was 15 and she was singing at the CBGB in NYC in 1975. I was with a schoolmate named Denis (French as well) and we saw her a few times there, as well as the Ramones and the local star at the time, Patty Smith.
    Debbie was close to 40 at the time but we were completely smitten and because of the venue she was very approachable. She always had a nice word when we saw her. I have blue eyes ( unlike Denis) and we always thought that the part in French of her 1978 song was a reference to us both (and will not hear any evidence to the contrary).
    Patty Smith didn’t like her rising fame and Debbie had to go to a different venue in the Bowery where we saw her a couple of times too.
    I think I’m avoid her bit in Glasto on iplayer.
    According to Google she was born in '45. So 30 years old in 1975.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    According to Google she was born in '45. So 30 years old in 1975.

She was a member of a group who released an album in 1968, Wind in the Willows or something similar if I recall from my record collecting days, but she was around in the late 60s a good 10 years before Blondie achieved success.

Update: checked out of curiosity and found this, less of a glam puss in those days.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 28th June 2023 at 22:27.

She was a member of a group who released an album in 1968, Wind in the Willows or something similar if I recall from my record collecting days, but she was around in the late 60s a good 10 years before Blondie achieved success.

Update: checked out of curiosity and found this, less of a glam puss in those days.

Seems right, mid 20s then end of the 60s

30 it was then. When you’re 15, 30 or 40 is old (not in a bad way). She was definitely older than most other bands playing there at the time. Patty was older too but she had a LP to her name and was a much more established artist.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Difficult to accept that our heroes not only are getting old, some of them are outright old. Cut them some slack.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Difficult to accept that our heroes not only are getting old, some of them are outright old. Cut them some slack.
    This ^^^^.
    When they're gone, they're gone. Enjoy them enjoying themselves while we can.

Blog Entries
    Still love Blondie and thought she carried herself well, especially when you consider her age. The person who I thought was particularly embarrassing was Cate Blanchett 'dancing' during the Sparks' set - what was she thinking? If anyone else was seen dancing like that in a public place, they'd been thrown out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Still love Blondie and thought she carried herself well, especially when you consider her age. The person who I thought was particularly embarrassing was Cate Blanchett 'dancing' during the Sparks' set - what was she thinking? If anyone else was seen dancing like that in a public place, they'd been thrown out.

I first came across Blondie with their debut album and didn't think much of it. Plastic Letters, on the other hand, was (and remains) utterly brilliant; Fan Mail and Contact In Red Square are all-time classics, sadly not played live in decades. Still, Detroit 442 and Denis made it to Glastonbury.

Last time I saw them live was Brixton Academy in 2017 - good entertainment, but even then the voice was gone. And Ms Harry wanted to talk to us about bees, for some reason or other.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Manics putting on a proper show here, go on boys

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    Was a massive fan back in the day, not seen the Manics do anything live for ages, thought they were excellent. Just wish James had done 'Can't take my eyes off you' when the acoustic was out. As a singalong, that would have been awesome.
    Last edited by Gomers; 29th June 2023 at 13:47.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I first came across Blondie with their debut album and didn't think much of it. Plastic Letters, on the other hand, was (and remains) utterly brilliant; Fan Mail and Contact In Red Square are all-time classics, sadly not played live in decades. Still, Detroit 442 and Denis made it to Glastonbury.

Last time I saw them live was Brixton Academy in 2017 - good entertainment, but even then the voice was gone. And Ms Harry wanted to talk to us about bees, for some reason or other.
    Fan Mail is one of my favourite tracks. However, I also liked the debut album. X Offender, Rip Her to Shreds and Attack of the Giant Ants were my favourite tracks from that album, I recall.

just saying

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

The person who I thought was particularly embarrassing was Cate Blanchett 'dancing' during the Sparks' set - what was she thinking? If anyone else was seen dancing like that in a public place, they'd been thrown out.
    I thought it was great fun to recreate the video. Sparks are Sparks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTAxPhxADo0

Apparently she was on the video of the song and Sparks asked her if she would make an appearance at Glastonbury. I thought she was very entertaining and nice to see such a high profile individual not take themselves seriously.

Blog Entries
    <em>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post

Well, talking about bees... she was ahead of her time!

Back in the 70s and early 80s, there was a weekly tv program on Dutch TV called TopPop. Tons of artists made a performance in Dutch TV studios. Some amazing bands came to play at TopPop before they were famous. Including one Blondie and her band.

I was around 20 y/o and obviously a big big fan - for obvious reasons... I had a girlfriend at the time and she threw her toys out of the pram every time Blondie was on TV and I was admiring her. Needless to say that Blondie's appearances on Dutch TV and my girlfriend's reaction gave me enough to think about... and after a while I knew that this girlfriend was not the true one. We went separate ways and I never had contact with her again. I couldn't help thinking about that late 70s period, when I saw Blondie on YT appearing on Glasto '23.

EDIT: oh wait, the footage still exists!!!!

Last edited by thieuster; 29th June 2023 at 19:05.

Master
    BBC4 at 9 this evening - Elton at Wembley Arena in 1977.