closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What watch would you wear to an AD?

Master
    Blog Entries

What watch would you wear to an AD?

I'm in the vicinity of an AD tomorrow and want to put my name down for something new. I've not used this AD before so want to think about a conversation piece, I have an appointment and I'll play the game if it means I get what I want.

Choices are...
    ND Submariner and risk mugging or them asking where did I get it
    Zodiac Super Sea Wolf
    Smiths Commando
    A very old gold Rotary
    Casio yellow Baby G or orange F91W

I know the real answer is who cares etc but other thoughts welcome. Current thinking is the Zodiac.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I'm in the vicinity of an AD tomorrow and want to put my name down for something new.
    Don't wear a watch. Make an appointment and turn up late, apologise for your sloppy time keeping and mention you need a watch, then ask if you've come to the right place.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good call, they will probably send me to H Samuel

Craftsman
    The first option, but I like the proposal above too.

Master
    Wear the sub but stop worrying and babying it, that marks you out as a flipper. In fact, treat it rough as a tool watch should be and get some scratches on it before you get to the shop.

I would wear a deepsea and ask what is the point if the only thing that might survive those depths is the watch
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 22nd June 2023 at 23:36.

That you even asked the question is pathetic. Who cares? Just go in pre-lubed and take the ploughing. FFS grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    That you even asked the question is pathetic. Who cares? Just go in pre-lubed and take the ploughing. FFS grow up.
    Chill out

I’d say any of those would be fine, and show your interest. My opinion only obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bad day?

Yes, pretty bad.

Bad day?

Yes, pretty bad.
    Good lad, log on and take it out on someone else. That’s the spirit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I would wear a deepsea and ask what is the point if the only thing that might survive those depths is the watch
    A very interesting thought. Are there now a couple sitting on the sea bed? If you are that wealthy, you’d surely have the watch for the dive.

Craftsman
    Good call.....

Grand Master
    Perhaps a better answer is to understand the allocation system and the tiers of watches within them, being on a list makes you feel special but if the list never reaches the supermarket you will not get any shopping. ‘My AD’ is a retail sales assistant not a decision maker!!!!
    RIAC

Master
    I'm in the vicinity of an AD tomorrow and want to put my name down for something new. I've not used this AD before so want to think about a conversation piece, I have an appointment and I'll play the game if it means I get what I want.

Choices are...
    ND Submariner and risk mugging or them asking where did I get it
    Zodiac Super Sea Wolf
    Smiths Commando
    A very old gold Rotary
    Casio yellow Baby G or orange F91W

I know the real answer is who cares etc but other thoughts welcome. Current thinking is the Zodiac.
    Well you've already overthought it, but - the old Rotary.

Craftsman
    Now there’s a man in need of a happy ending massage!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    A very interesting thought. Are there now a couple sitting on the sea bed? If you are that wealthy, you’d surely have the watch for the dive.
    Probably too soon.

Craftsman
    A Casio FW91 and a bomb vest might help to speed things up.

Master
    Personally I think it’s more about the clothes and how you are than the watch you are wearing.

Also what brand you are looking for and whether the AD is a private business or Goldsmiths / WoS / Mappin & Webb et al?

I remember a few years back going into Goldsmiths in Meadowhell wearing my Pam 609. The SA who I think was the Saturday Lad had never heard of the brand and couldn’t pronounce it.

I went back in the same store a few weeks back and they now sell Panerai but have not had any training yet according to the SA I spoke with. Her product knowledge was woeful.

So if you’re going to look for Rolex. I am assuming you are as you have an appointment, wear the Sub. Unless you’re wanting to buy another Sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried engaging with ADs by wearing something interesting and the result was...
    ...they have no interest whatsoever in what you are wearing, indeed have never heard of Zodiac, Smiths, Sinn, Tutima or any other more niche brands. They weren't impressed by my Rolex or Omegas either. Pretty much, they looked me up and down as I walked in, estimated the depth of my wallet and decided I wasn't worth their time.

I'd go Commando..... it'll make things quicker when they ask you to bend over.

Sorry, I meant WITH the Commando!

Best of luck.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Correct 👍🏻

Sorry for the rant folks, really bad day. OP I hope it goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Now there’s a man in need of a happy ending massage!

Grand Master
    Please ignore deluded comments about the clothes you wear and watch choice its a set system on tiers and personality goes a long way. Some short cuts exist but only to a privileged and unique org few.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    I've tried engaging with ADs by wearing something interesting and the result was...
    ...they have no interest whatsoever in what you are wearing, indeed have never heard of Zodiac, Smiths, Sinn, Tutima or any other more niche brands. They weren't impressed by my Rolex or Omegas either. Pretty much, they looked me up and down as I walked in, estimated the depth of my wallet and decided I wasn't worth their time.
    This.

They are interested in commission, not watches.

Wear a zip-lock stuffed with Ł20 notes.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by neuman356 View Post
    A Casio FW91 and a bomb vest might help to speed things up.
    LOL

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You'll have to excuse me as im knackered so short of subtlety today so - anything. It's an AD, they wont care.

People who go in and flash their wrists get met with an inward eye roll because there are so many who think that wearing a Rolex is going to impress the sales staff - it doesnt - They wont care.
    Zodiac - Its an AD, their business isn't niche brands - They wont care.
    Rotary - They wont care.
    Casio - They wont care.
    Smiths - They wont care.

Honestly, best thing you can do is be pleasant and enthusiastic about watches. There's a 50% chance that the assistant will care and a 50% chance that - they wont care.

If you want a Rolex - they wont care.
    If you want to buy something that they have on the shop floor and can send you away with in a matter of minutes - They'll pretend to care.

AD's arent always full of watch lovers in exactly the same way that people working in bathroom showrooms arent scatologists.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Please ignore deluded comments about the clothes you wear and watch choice its a set system on tiers and personality goes a long way. Some short cuts exist but only to a privileged and unique org few.
    Really? My personal experience is i get treated very differently if I look like I’m homeless and am wanting to shelter from the rain compared to looking like I’m well presented and I can afford to spend some money.

Agree that how you are and personality seems to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    You'll have to excuse me as im knackered so short of subtlety today so - anything. It's an AD, they wont care.

People who go in and flash their wrists get met with an inward eye roll because there are so many who think that wearing a Rolex is going to impress the sales staff - it doesnt - They wont care.
    Zodiac - Its an AD, their business isn't niche brands - They wont care.
    Rotary - They wont care.
    Casio - They wont care.
    Smiths - They wont care.

Honestly, best thing you can do is be pleasant and enthusiastic about watches. There's a 50% chance that the assistant will care and a 50% chance that - they wont care.

If you want a Rolex - they wont care.
    If you want to buy something that they have on the shop floor and can send you away with in a matter of minutes - They'll pretend to care.

AD's arent always full of watch lovers in exactly the same way that people working in bathroom showrooms arent scatologists.
    Excellent post.

I’ve never worked in an AD but I’ve been to enough to know that the above is pretty bang on.

Most of the time I just want to try stuff on and look to see if I can pick one up used, elsewhere (obviously I’m not buying Rolex). I’m therefore just friendly and polite, rather than gaming anyone. I find that most of the assistants couldn’t care what I’m wearing and are more interested in making a sale, which tbf, is their job.

Occasionally I do come across an informed and enthusiastic person who I engage in a good chat with and that sometimes leads to them showing me something a bit more exotic from the back of the shop, or putting my name down on a list for something. They usually comment on what I’m wearing as they’re usually enthusiasts, as well as employees.

I usually walk away feeling a bit guilty about wasting their time, as I navigate my way to eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    This

Chances are the sales guy was peddling mobile phones in his last job and watch knowledge will be limited to instagram education. They will fawn over Patek but nothing else will be of interest

When you try something on they will pick up your watch and start polishing it with a cloth and then say ‘nice watch’. That’s out of the training manual. Just BS.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Does it actually matter what clothes/watch you wear when visiting a watch shop?

I don't think so.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

You can buy Timefactor watches in your shreddies if you want to - online obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    You can buy Timefactor watches in your shreddies if you want to - online obviously.
    Or not, depending on your reaction speed...

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Personally I think it’s more about the clothes and how you are than the watch you are wearing.
    Not sure what clothes you wear matters. Some of my past customers I had (Hifi retailer)were a billionaire and a few millionaires and most wore T's and jeans and baseball caps.
    It's a big mistake if a retailer of watches judges you but your attire.
    Just be yourself I say.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Can we get confirmation on the odds of the AD being a scatologist?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Think Eddie offers a discount if you appear in person!!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Can we get confirmation on the odds of the AD being a scatologist?
    If you walk in and she greets you like this odds are 100%

Master
    Dunno about a watch but magnum handgun might improve your chances or getting something? Seems a great deal of time if your face fits you’re in with a chance.

I used to work in a big ski shop in a very wealthy part of the country and we would delight in customers coming in wearing branded clothing from Ski resorts (A fleece, badge adorned gilet from Whistler, Canada was a favorite), thinking that it would make the staff take them more seriously or bow down to their great 'knowledge'

In truth we would treat them all with distain. Those that were friendly and approachable and showed the staff a bit of respect, were the ones who got the best service and the best deals

It's far more important how you are, than how you look

Good Luck with getting the watch that you want

Apprentice
    I get the easy pickings of jokes about the AD visit, and nothing else to add on that amusing front, but just to share a couple of anecdotes:

I poppped into a WoS store in London a couple of years back to look at a Reverso and a Tank, wearing my Nomos Metro -- they clocked it immediately and we had a good chat, I think it helped them take me a bit more seriously.

In a LHR store a few years back I was wearing my BBGMT when asking to look at the Snowflake (back when the GMT was unobtanium), and the guy again clocked it and was really keen to show me stuff after that.

So to OP, I get why you're asking and it does make a difference at getting the conversation off on the right foot. Personally I'd wear the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    In truth we would treat them all with distain.
    Found the AD!

Craftsman
    I can never tell if these threads are real or not

Found the AD!
    Ha Ha if only. I'm just a poor, unemployed Sales Rep trying to make a living as a Handyman But thank for the exposure

Just be nice.
    Don't be a dick.
    Don't overthink it.

The ADs can sell to who they want to, ultimately. Some will have the long game in mind, some will just want to make someone's day who deserves it.

If they decide based upon what's on your wrist ... I'd go somewhere else. There will always be someone who's got something more impressive... Or so she keeps telling me!

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Not sure what clothes you wear matters. Some of my past customers I had (Hifi retailer)were a billionaire and a few millionaires and most wore T's and jeans and baseball caps.
    It's a big mistake if a retailer of watches judges you but your attire.
    Just be yourself I say.
    I'd agree but watch AD's seem to be a breed apart. I've been to a hifi dealer and given a demo of a set of speakers that I'd told them I couldn't afford yet because they were nice people and had a bit of time on their hands I had a lot of fun and strangely enough, purchased a set of speakers from them at a later date that were in my price bracket. Yet, I've been in a watch AD seriously asking about a watch that I could afford and should be available yet was dismissed quite readily and quite rudely. That said, I am the type of person who would walk away (and did) if someone treats me badly even if I really want the product.

(I nearly always wear training shoes, jeans and t-shirt)

Maybe this?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How about a different solution. As discussed in depth above, an AD has sod all to do with liking watches. How about visiting an independent watch repairer who actually repairs decent vintage and loves watches.
    my personal recommendation would be ‘Littlecogs’ in Midhurst

https://littlecogs.com

You’ll meet some lovely people who like watches and have a fascinating array of beautiful watches in tiptop condition. They can answer any question, are interested and can definitely fix it. Go somewhere that likes watches, for the Hifi experience.

I went into one of the Rolex ADs at Westfield a few years ago and was speaking to a sales assistant about the then very much available Exp II (and was actually about to try one on). At that moment the manager came over and asked her "Do you have any idea what this gentleman has on his wrist"?

I was actually wearing my McQueen, and we proceeded to talk watches for a good half an hour before I was forced to leave to hook up with Bea for lunch. I was quite surprised - in a good way, I should add - and it made the trip out there worthwhile.

Craftsman
    If you walk in and she greets you like this odds are 100%

I used to own a Toyota Shatalova. Good cars.