closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortgage rates

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If that were me, and that were my salary, I’d have had that mortgage cleared by now.
    Depends though, as the money could be working harder elsewhere than paying the mortgage. We went the mortgage route as it opened up freedom of choice.

I went the 'keeping my son alive' route, money best spent IMHO

Master
    pay off your mortgage on your 80th birthday.

You know they are just expensive trinkets, right?
    Houses?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have not read the whole thread but I can't help but think this logic that raising rates lowers inflation as a concept is flawed.

I believe the logic is make people poor as they are paying huge mortgages so they don't have loads of spare cash to splash out on stuff and drive prices up.

But only 28% of households have a mortgage so they are hurting those 28%, typically the average middle class home owners who are working, whilst the other 72% are less impacted by rates and carry on as they were ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I went the 'keeping my son alive' route, money best spent IMHO

Can’t fault you on that one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

This will be a painful lesson for many, but people need to start taking responsibility and living within their means. Oh, and we need a GE.
    We were promised low interest rates were here to stay. Houses were ridiculously expensive (especially in London) but low interest rates made the books just about balance. You need somewhere to live so those who have mortgages don’t seem to deserve special punishment. Most likely they were living within their means until hit by a cluster of highly improbable local and global events.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Ive never understood having a mortgage debt and thousands wrapped up in watches!

You need just one watch and no mortgage.
    You have a point, but over the last decade and a half, well chosen watches were appreciating at well over the mortgage rate, so were at worst a somewhat risky guilty pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

But only 28% of households have a mortgage so they are hurting those 28%, typically the average middle class home owners who are working, whilst the other 72% are less impacted by rates and carry on as they were ...
    As above, it doesn’t seem particularly fair to hammer this group, interest rates are a blunt instrument. The BoE may not have any other tools but government might. Sunak says “We’ll get through this” - interesting use of the word “we” there! No doubt he will.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 22nd June 2023 at 17:55.

Grand Master

Mortgage rates

On the plus side Monzo instantly made the interest on current account 3.7%.

Cant fault them compared to the other players. Lets see some 6-7% Cash ISA's back too soon I hope.
    RIAC

I've always said if asked "clear your mortgage" your house is your home first and foremost.

Master
    What's the consensus on when rates will decrease? US is pencilled in for another increase and then decreases from Q1 next year. I guess we'll follow afterwards
    I would say at this moment in time it’s impossible for anyone to say.

Go back to the end of last year and the general view was that rates would have peaked by now and be coming down at the end of this year. A couple of weeks back they were intimidating that there was another 1.25% to go to take us to 5.75% and rates would start coming down in 2024. Over the weekend 2025 was being touted. Different views from various Economists, ex Bank of England deputy governors, fund managers, investment houses etc. All as clear as mud!

Only consistent story that seems to come out is that the government, Bank of England and economists in general think that rates need to keep rising until inflation is combated. Even if it puts us in recession, which many people personally would say has already happened. A lot of people don’t think that it will work as there’s too many external factors contributing to inflation and this approach is just making people suffer more.

Whatever the case, hopefully lenders have overdone the mortgage rate rises that have happened and some better deals start to come out again. Wishful thinking maybe but fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I would say at this moment in time it’s impossible for anyone to say.

Go back to the end of last year and the general view was that rates would have peaked by now and be coming down at the end of this year. A couple of weeks back they were intimidating that there was another 1.25% to go to take us to 5.75% and rates would start coming down in 2024. Over the weekend 2025 was being touted. Different views from various Economists, ex Bank of England deputy governors, fund managers, investment houses etc. All as clear as mud!

Only consistent story that seems to come out is that the government, Bank of England and economists in general think that rates need to keep rising until inflation is combated. Even if it puts us in recession, which many people personally would say has already happened. A lot of people don’t think that it will work as there’s too many external factors contributing to inflation and this approach is just making people suffer more.

Whatever the case, hopefully lenders have overdone the mortgage rate rises that have happened and some better deals start to come out again. Wishful thinking maybe but fingers crossed.
    Thanks, makes sense.

I don't typically make many financial decisions that turn out to be wise, but fixing my mortgage in December 2021 for 5 years at 1.34% was surely up there!

Master
    Thanks, makes sense.

I don't typically make many financial decisions that turn out to be wise, but fixing my mortgage in December 2021 for 5 years at 1.34% was surely up there!
    Fantastic rate the way things have gone. Good move :-)

Thanks, makes sense.

Great call. Well done Ryan 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

Completely agree with this. I personally think this Government are now resigned to an unavoidable recession by the end of Q3 this year and there is no easy answer to the huge issues at play and all at the same time.

Brexit has played a HUGE part of those external factors in the Uk that also include Covid, the Ukraine war and the increased volatility in the swap rates.

Master
    Was down in Mayfair this week. In a coffee joint overheard some conversation and can tell you - cost of living crisis? What’s all that about…
    Different world.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    ... Most likely they were living within their means until hit by a cluster of highly improbable local and global events.

Hardly highly improbable - and living within your means obviously includes a cushion for a worsening of conditions, basic finance lesson #1.

Thanks, makes sense.

Well done. You are on easy street for the foreseeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Hardly highly improbable - and living within your means obviously includes a cushion for a worsening of conditions, basic finance lesson #1.
    You seriously think the covid pandemic and lockdowns, the invasion of Ukraine and… let’s just say the B word don’t count as surprising?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    You seriously think the covid pandemic and lockdowns, the invasion of Ukraine and… let’s just say the B word don’t count as surprising?
    The vast amount of money printed, ZIRP for 12 continuous years and a stamp duty holiday to really stoke the bubble certainly wasn’t.

So Covid, Brexit and Russia invading Ukraine were all highly probable? Do you have heat stroke?

The vast amount of money printed, ZIRP for 12 continuous years and a stamp duty holiday to really stoke the bubble certainly wasn’t.
    Lucky you for being so on the ball… the economy crystal ball. Jesus! 😒

So, it's to be recession or bust then!

iirc the UK squeaked the first quarter of 2023 with a revised O.1 percent growth, you need 2 quarters of negative growth to declare a recession...wondering what Apr to June figures will show...
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd June 2023 at 19:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    You are forgetting the mass of people that rent. Their rents will be tied to the interest rates their landlords are paying. They will either get increases they can't afford or the landlords will try and sell out from under them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    You are forgetting the mass of people that rent. Their rents will be tied to the interest rates their landlords are paying. They will either get increases they can't afford or the landlords will try and sell out from under them.
    Less so than home owners because only about 50% of the private rental sector is mortgaged. Whilst rents are going up on average they are not going up as fast as mortgages falling off fixed rates.

Even if you add half of the PRS to the 28% of mortgaged owners you still have 62% of households unaffected by these interest rate increases.

Grand Master
    Thanks, makes sense.

Years ago signed up to a mortgage that tracked base rate less .5% for undefined period. Once rate reached .25% the bank wrote off the existing amount as the admin was more than the interest payment!
    RIAC

Master
    LLs are dumping flats and 2-beds due to the Tories making private letting a mugs game. Combine with first-time buyers who over-extended on 4.5x earning multiples to buy similar properties and a 30% drop in value in hot-spots is possible.

Whenever there's a UK house-price slump, it's quality properties in good locations which go side-ways, the actual drops are in the undesirable locations.

It's harder to quantify the impact of people being OK with buying further out from London because they can WFH, plus the impact of white-flight from Birmingham, Croydon, Luton, Enfield etc. This may explain the price rises in Cambridge, York, etc.

UK inflation remains high because of high input costs, mostly energy costs because of the 'green' levies for the net-zero fraud which far outweigh Brexit-driven costs.

NB On a side-note, will we see distress sales of PP, VC, AP and Rolex as peeps need to cover mortgages. Could be some value in Sales Corner.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 22nd June 2023 at 22:30.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

NB On a side-note, will we see distress sales of PP, VC, AP and Rolex as peeps need to cover mortgages. Could be some value in Sales Corner.

Well that’s a delightful sentiment towards your fellow TZ members here……I hope you do well out of others “distress sales” anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Well that’s a delightful sentiment towards your fellow TZ members here……I hope you do well out of others “distress sales” anyway.
    Ally is family money. Will do alright.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I preferred it when he was just in the Covid thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Ally is family money. Will do alright.
    It’s not him is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It’s not him is it?
    Something about him…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can I ask a question please, I have 2y 2m to go on my 3.54% mortgage but could pay it off in 9m from savings if I used the overpayment allowance etc.

Over always been brought up on the idea of clearing the mortgage asa but would you pay it off or put the cash elsewhere for 2y?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to clarify, the fix is for that time, the end date is scheduled 3y2m and there's a 600 early pay charge if I clear faster than the 9m

Master

Mortgage rates

Thanks, makes sense.

Great result Ryan
    For the likes of noTAGLove they don't seem to realise that it's punters like Ryan that the government/economy loves.
    Payes loads of PAYE and him and his Mrs spend rather than pay off the mortgage quickly.
    This is what keeps our economy afloat.

noTAGLove-You seem to be incredibly frugal(tight) and seem to be pretty obsessed by savings and not actually spending any money despite clearly having a well paid job.
    I can honestly say I've never really saved in my life and pretty much spent it as I got it.
    It was spent on the house, on cars ,on going out,clothes when single, on nice family holidays,etc.
    I'm glad I enjoyed myself when I was of an age to really enjoy it as opposed to saving for when I'm 60 plus just so I could have a more comfortable retirement and then leave it to the kids when you kick the bucket.
    Honestly enjoy it now whilst you have your health-maybe even buy a decent motor as a treat .Go on do it.
    Last edited by Hood; 23rd June 2023 at 08:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

UK inflation remains high because of high input costs, mostly energy costs because of the 'green' levies for the net-zero fraud which far outweigh Brexit-driven costs.
    This. That ridiculous nonentity Hunt can spin it any way he wants, ubt massive money printing has driven us to the cliff and it's NetZero costs which are pushing us over the edge. They could pause policies, announce some stimulus and rectify things fairly quickly, but they're going to let the BoE drive the country into recession instead.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Sorry to clarify, the fix is for that time, the end date is scheduled 3y2m and there's a 600 early pay charge if I clear faster than the 9m
    If your fixed rate is reasonably lower than a savings account, it can pay to stick it in savings. There are mortgage calculators available online that will do comparisons for you
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 23rd June 2023 at 05:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Great result Ryan
    I can honestly say I've never really saved in my life and pretty much spent it as I got it.
    It was spent on the house, on cars ,on going out,clothes when single, on nice family holidays,etc.
    I'm glad I enjoyed myself when I was of an age to really enjoy it as opposed to saving for when I'm 60 plus just so I could have a more comfortable retirement and then leave it to the kids when you kick the bucket.
    Honestly enjoy it now whilst you have your health-maybe even buy a decent motor as a treat. Go on do it.
    And as you get older you will appreciate having lived as you have, you can't buy time, enjoy (sensible) why you can with few regrets.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    And as you get older you will appreciate having lived as you have, you can't buy time, enjoy (sensible) why you can with few regrets.
    Also as I have got older I have realised the things I spent the most money on had the lease value and the things that were free are priceless.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Completely with you. Hessian sack shirts are not the way to live your life, and many lifetime experiences are not free!

Years ago signed up to a mortgage that tracked base rate less .5% for undefined period. Once rate reached .25% the bank wrote off the existing amount as the admin was more than the interest payment!
    Santander? I'm still on mine although it's slightly above rather than slightly below base. Best financial decision I ever made (more luck than judgement).

Master
    Also as I have got older I have realised the things I spent the most money on had the lease value and the things that were free are priceless.
    id agree with the sentiment that material items really dont matter (and i say this as someone who buys plenty of them) but spending money on holidays and the best house you can get (within reason) makes for a happy family life and that, for me at least, trumps all else.

Master
    Not sure how targeting the poor is going to help?
    it has always been thus... :0(

If you only have 3yrs 2 months left on the mortgage, surely you just use the time on the fix at 3.5% at the end of the fix just pay off the balance with savings.

If you can earn more than 3.5% easily which you can with a instant access with Monzo at 3.7% as of yesterday.

Master
    Can I ask a question please, I have 2y 2m to go on my 3.54% mortgage but could pay it off in 9m from savings if I used the overpayment allowance etc.

Over always been brought up on the idea of clearing the mortgage asa but would you pay it off or put the cash elsewhere for 2y?
    You can get over 5% on fixed savings, so you'd literally be throwing away money

But there is a security in having the mortgage clear, that you may consider of value too

We're just finishing up a new build and had the opportunity from the sale of our previous home to clear the self-build mortgage, but I decided to invest the cash and try and out perform the mortgage interest. YMMV and certainly not advice!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Experts expect rates to climb to 6% next year before falling towards the end of 24. If they do go to 6% there will be a whole lot more pain for house owners. People have to stop spending.
    Problem is that inflation in the past was often caused by overpending on non essentials. Raise cost of credit and inflation falls. BUT, now we have energy and food inflation. How are high interest rates going to impact those two...

I thought the rate would rise but not as much, I locked in till 2027 at 1.29%...turned out to be a fantastic decision

Master
    Blog Entries
    Should have gone for the 10 year fix in hindsight, hopefully things will calm down a bit before my 5yr fix ends in 2026

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    I thought the rate would rise but not as much, I locked in till 2027 at 1.29%...turned out to be a fantastic decision
    Three more years at 1.29% here. Fixed for five but could have had 10 at something like 1.32%. Stupidly thought we would remortgage for an extension after five years. Probably not at 6%!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Honestly enjoy it now whilst you have your health-maybe even buy a decent motor as a treat .Go on do it.
    Buy what appreciates. Lease what depreciates. This arrived 2 weeks ago. But, thanks for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just did my own mortgage rate of 1.29% against 5.5% to see the difference. Monthly difference was quite a lot but the big shock was total interest payable went from £139k to £716k. Chucking a watch or three in as an overpayment suddenly looks very tempting.
    damn, really?? im a mathematical idiot, i guess that's how it all compounds up over 20 years?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Santander? I'm still on mine although it's slightly above rather than slightly below base. Best financial decision I ever made (more luck than judgement).
    Alliance & Leicester. Brought out by Santander who kindly wrote of quite a few grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Master
    Good to see joined up government.

BoE increases rates because it’s “necessary” to control inflation. Government calls in banks and building societies to work out ways of circumventing the impact on borrowers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-....65990833.page