closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: institutionally anti cyclist?

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    my experience with cyclists is mostly negative , riding 2-3 abreast and holding up miles of traffic , to one recently that tried to block me from moving past in a stationary traffic jam when i was on my motorbike by moving right across to the centre and putting his leg out when i tried to go past ( he could have easily got off his bike and pushed it on the pavement to get round the traffic jam on some roadworks but was quite happy to try and stop bikers going past ).
    i suppose the main difference is that most bike owners are out on their jollies while most car owner are trying to get to/from work.
    I honestly can't think of one notable tailback that was the result of cyclists. Roadworks, temporary traffic lights, tractors, collisions, buses, delivery drivers blocking a narrow streets, bin lorries, to name a few that have caused delays but cyclists holding up miles of traffic sounds a bit of a stretch.

"main difference is that most bike owners are out on their jollies while most car owner are trying to get to/from work."

That's not true:

Nat Stats

The most common purpose for a trip by car was for leisure with 30% in 2020 and 2019. This was followed by shopping (22%), commuting (15%).

55% of cycling journeys are done for leisure (including shopping), commuting (20%).

institutionally anti cyclist?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I honestly can't think of one notable tailback that was the result of cyclists. Roadworks, temporary traffic lights, tractors, collisions, buses, delivery drivers blocking a narrow streets, bin lorries, to name a few that have caused delays but cyclists holding up miles of traffic sounds a bit of a stretch.

"main difference is that most bike owners are out on their jollies while most car owner are trying to get to/from work."

That's not true:

Nat Stats

The most common purpose for a trip by car was for leisure with 30% in 2020 and 2019. This was followed by shopping (22%), commuting (15%).

55% of cycling journeys are done for leisure (including shopping), commuting (20%).
    I can, if you know the Ridgeway in Wiltshire, beautiful stretch of road which goes from Hack-pen to Marlborough. Group of around 30 cyclists all 2 abreast come along the A4 from Avebury and tuned up into the the ridgeway. The line of traffic behind them was considerable. I followed them the distance to Marlborough all 2 abreast and not one point did they bother to pull over They were like a rolling road block. In saying that it was a lovely day, we were in no rush and I wasn’t that bothered unlike some people who were making crazy decisions with the oncoming traffic to get past them.
    And I think tbh that’s what annoys other road- users the most. If it were a farmer they would have pulled over at some point and let the line of traffic pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I've literally never seen that.
    Massively common around here, particularly with school kids and teens who cycle along, staring into their dimwit devices whilst weaving all over the place, as if completely resistant to being hit by tonnes of metal at speed.

Cycle helmets? Thing of the past, along with cycling proficiency and common sense.

An ex colleague of mine set up his own bike company (Spoon Customs) and seems to be doing well. Bikes are very premium priced though - motorbike money!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I can, if you know the Ridgeway in Wiltshire, beautiful stretch of road which goes from Hack-pen to Marlborough. Group of around 30 cyclists all 2 abreast come along the A4 from Avebury and tuned up into the the ridgeway. The line of traffic behind them was considerable. I followed them the distance to Marlborough all 2 abreast and not one point did they bother to pull over They were like a rolling road block. In saying that it was a lovely day, we were in no rush and I wasn’t that bothered unlike some people who were making crazy decisions with the oncoming traffic to get past them.
    And I think tbh that’s what annoys other road- users the most. If it were a farmer they would have pulled over at some point and let the line of traffic pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds annoying… British Cycling recommends a max group size of 12 and to pull over if causing a delay so those riders were definitely not on the right wavelength.

Let me ask you, ever been held up by cars, vans, lorries, crashes, broken down vehicles? And if so how common is that compared to the example above?

Master
    How often should the group be pulling over though, when there's 1, 2, 3 or 10 cars behind, if you kept pulling over you'd never actually get anywhere!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    How often should the group be pulling over though, when there's 1, 2, 3 or 10 cars behind, if you kept pulling over you'd never actually get anywhere!
    I think you take a pragmatic view. Usually vehicles can pass, but if it’s narrow and that’s not possible then just use common sense. If a road is so narrow that passing isn’t possible usually it’s not a busy road.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If a road is so narrow that passing isn’t possible usually it’s not a busy road.
    Sadly not so with a number of roads in my area.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Sadly not so with a number of roads in my area.
    Must be a nightmare when you get stuck behind a horse then as they are really slow ...

That sounds annoying… British Cycling recommends a max group size of 12 and to pull over if causing a delay so those riders were definitely not on the right wavelength.

Let me ask you, ever been held up by cars, vans, lorries, crashes, broken down vehicles? And if so how common is that compared to the example above?
    I never said it was common, i was only replying to the previous poster who said he couldn't think of one notable tailback.

Accidents, broken down vehicles etc do happen yeh but i think most people can understand theres not much they can do about it, whereas a long line of cyclists who knew what they were doing could have pulled over. Its hardly surprising that it makes certain people do silly things, people are impatient and shit happens. When there was such a long line it was virtually impossible to go past the lot without doing something very risky, which i wasn't prepared to do.
    Ive made peace with cyclists on roads now and realise that they do daft things like car drivers….my main beef nowadays is with horses on A roads.

Accidents, broken down vehicles etc do happen yeh but i think most people can understand theres not much they can do about it, whereas a long line of cyclists who knew what they were doing could have pulled over. Its hardly surprising that it makes certain people do silly things, people are impatient and shit happens.
    This, unfortunately. Just like you can shout in the face of that huge lock at the bar in your local when you've had one too many, but one of these days he might just snap. He could be done for assault and in any case it would be wrong, but you're the one who will suffer most and whatever happens to him is of scant consolation.

I used to sail a lot, and as you may or may not know, when in open water and you're under sails you have the right of way on most motor boats/ships. Yet we have a saying that says "might is right": it may not be fair and we all want to exercise our rights, but sometimes it's just not worth the risk. There are genuine idiots out there, and quite a few lunatics on 2, and 4 wheels.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I never said it was common, i was only replying to the previous poster who said he couldn't think of one notable tailback.
    I guess the point I was trying to make is that pretty much every car journey I make I’m delayed by the sheer weight of traffic. But that don’t make me rage anti car driver stuff on the internet or down the pub I just accept I share the road and try and be considerate and respectful. Everyone has an equal right of use and deserves to get to their destination alive.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that pretty much every car journey I make I’m delayed by the sheer weight of traffic. But that don’t make me rage anti car driver stuff on the internet or down the pub I just accept I share the road and try and be considerate and respectful. Everyone has an equal right of use and deserves to get to their destination alive.
    They do but if i knew i was causing carnage behind i would pull over. If my car had running problems and still limping along id likely make for home but wouldn't consider for minute its my right to be there and stuff everyone behind. Its strange how I, as a car driver have to have consideration for other users including bikes but some bike riders don't seem to pass that back.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They do but if i knew i was causing carnage behind i would pull over. If my car had running problems and still limping along id likely make for home but wouldn't consider for minute its my right to be there and stuff everyone behind. Its strange how I, as a car driver have to have consideration for other users including bikes but some bike riders don't seem to pass that back.
    I’d suggest that the proportion of selfish idiots on bikes is similar to those in cars, just that some people seem to get hot under the collar about the Lycra clad idiots but seem just to accept the idiots in cars which represent far more risk to them …

I never understand how people conclude one category of road user is any better or worse than another.

There is a percentage of selfish a***holes in the world, some cycle, some drive cars, vans, lorries etc … I don’t think there is any correlation between the a***holes and any mode of transport. What I do know is an a***hole in a car represents much bigger risk to me than one on a bike.

I’d suggest that the proportion of selfish idiots on bikes is similar to those in cars, just that some people seem to get hot under the collar about the Lycra clad idiots but seem just to accept the idiots in cars which represent far more risk to them …

I never understand how people conclude one category of road user is any better or worse than another.

There is a percentage of selfish a***holes in the world, some cycle, some drive cars, vans, lorries etc … I don’t think there is any correlation between the a***holes and any mode of transport. What I do know is an a***hole in a car represents much bigger risk to me than one on a bike.
    Id agree with you, I guess its far easier to vent at a cyclist who's just peed you off rather than some twat in a car who has nearly killed you and is in the distance.
    For what its worth i think car driving standards are far worse than they were even 3 years ago.

Essentially a lot of car drivers just need to chill out.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Id agree with you, I guess its far easier to vent at a cyclist who's just peed you off rather than some twat in a car who has nearly killed you and is in the distance. .
    I just think it’s another form of prejudice, people like to hate on a different tribe even if their own tribe is the bigger problem.

Grand Master
    Take the emotion out of the debate and it comes down to simple facts: cars and bikes sharing the roads is a lethal combination, with the best will in the world accidents will happen and the cyclist is far too vulnerable to death and serious injury. I like the idea of cycling and if safe cycle paths existed I might give it a go, but the reality is that our congested roads are full of cars/vans/lorries etc and there isn`t room for cyclists. Many activities in life are hazardous but for me the risks involved in riding a bike are totally unacceptable. The cyclists can argue till the cows come home but nothing will change, when 1.5 tons of metal meet a bloke on a bicycle there's only one outcome. In an ideal world it would be different.

Craftsman
    Is this thread still going? It's astonishing how intolerant people are of other modes of transport. Whatever happened to live and let live?

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk