closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kitchen and bathroom for £5k each possible?

Master

Kitchen and bathroom for £5k each possible?

Bought a 4 bed flat , its primarily going to be a buy to let but I’ll have a room in it for when I’m in the area.

Its functional but ideally I’d like to replace the kitchen and bathroom , also thought about ensuites in the rooms but I suspect its too much hassle . Might put one in my room and leave the main one to the lodgers.

I don’t need a dream kitchen and bathroom , just something decent.

I was thinking Ikea or Wickes , is £5k for kitchen and bathroom each feasible ?

Assume full rip out , new kitchen appliances , walk in shower fully tiled including floor.

Kitchen is about 12ft x 12ft square
    Bathroom is 5ft x 8ft 2 .

Master
    Round here in West Yorkshire, yes.

Are you talking gross inc Vat?

Blog Entries
    So are the tenants expected to let you walk in when you're 'in the area' and need a room?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So are the tenants expected to let you walk in when you're 'in the area' and need a room?
    Yes I’ll also demand sexual favours off them and eat their food out the fridge. I might even pee in the sink.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Round here in West Yorkshire, yes.

Are you talking gross inc Vat?
    Its in Scotland .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Bought a 4 bed flat , its primarily going to be a buy to let but I’ll have a room in it for when I’m in the area.
    Dream on - no tenants would put up with your constant drivel and aggressive manner.

Its certainly possible to buy them for that but good luck including fitting in that amount

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Dream on - no tenants would put up with your constant drivel and aggressive manner.
    Well your Mum begged me but she looks like you so no dice. My other tenants in my two other buy to let properties seem fine so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    Its certainly possible to buy them for that but good luck including fitting in that amount
    Yes I suspect I’ll have to do the tiling and snagging myself .

Be sure to pay the contractor in full for each element of work, even if another element is a dogs dinner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Be sure to pay the contractor in full for each element of work, even if another element is a dogs dinner.
    Relax I already forgave you for the terrible work you did and smoothed it over . Water under the bridge . I hope you are managing to stay sober driving the dominoes car these days. Take every day at a time . Keep brushing the teeth.

Blog Entries
    Entirely possible…. Are you handy? You can buy a nice kitchen a appliances for £3k and bathroom suites can be very reasonably priced…

My kitchen units (DIY kitchens) were under £3k…. Appliances and worktops were another £3k (ish) and and £800 to fit

In my BTL…. £900 for units and appliances were £550…. Tennant (a cabernet maker) fitted them for free in exchange for a 2 year rent freeze…

If you work stuff out ad know good people, all these things can be achieved without getting fleeced

Master
    I’m decent , build lots of computers and IT kit as well as oversee the design , shoot and execution of high end vfx sequences in movies so I’m reasonably handy. . Will stay away from the plumbing and electrics ( beyond replacing already installed light and mains sockets).

I was shocked totalling up the components , the installation was coming to about 70% of the spend on the places I’ve looked at so far . Time may be the biggest issue though .

Master
    From speaking to trades guys there's more profit in bathrooms so you may be able to get it done a bit cheaper than the kitchen.
    All trades companies will be more expensive but a heck of a lot less hassle than trying to co-ordinate it yourself.
    However if you have the time then why not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    From speaking to trades guys there's more profit in bathrooms so you may be able to get it done a bit cheaper than the kitchen.
    All trades companies will be more expensive but a heck of a lot less hassle than trying to co-ordinate it yourself.
    However if you have the time then why not.
    Cheers for the info all.

I guess the problem is if I commit to doing a lot of the work myself I regularly get called away with little notice and I’m gone for weeks and even months sometimes ( hence another reason for having other people on the property) .

If that happens I could get seriously delayed in getting it rented which isn’t ideal either.

Thanks for all the great info and commiserations to Jukeboxs Mum.

Blog Entries
    I’m decent , build lots of computers and IT kit as well as oversee the design , shoot and execution of high end vfx sequences in movies so I’m reasonably handy. . Will stay away from the plumbing and electrics ( beyond replacing already installed light and mains sockets).

I was shocked totalling up the components , the installation was coming to about 70% of the spend on the places I’ve looked at so far . Time may be the biggest issue though .
    If you’re changing over a bathroom suite and it’s going back in the same place, the plumbing in not tricky…. So, it depends on your confidence levels…. Push fit joints and extendable hoses are simple enough for most DIYers

Plenty of YouTube tutorials too

Carpentry can be a bit of an art at times…. Getting in a set of level kitchen cupboards is simple enough…. Get a chippy in to do the worktop or any routing though…

Friends have done it a lot cheaper - by buying well selected old display stock and having a friendly joiner/fitter do the work on a day rate.

Doing it yourself would work, but I suspect like a lot of us you might be time poor.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Yes I’ll also demand sexual favours off them and eat their food out the fridge. I might even pee in the sink.
    Well if that's acceptable in some communities, who am I to judge. No doubt some in Westminster would probably pay good money for a service like that.

I just thought it a bit odd that tenants would rent somewhere, on the understanding the landlord might turn up to stay in the spare room at random times. Presumably you would be using their bathroom facilities and kitchen. We live and learn.

Its in Scotland .
    That explains the previous post about peeing in the sink then.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Well if that's acceptable in some communities, who am I to judge. No doubt some in Westminster would probably pay good money for a service like that.

I just thought it a bit odd that tenants would rent somewhere, on the understanding the landlord might turn up to stay in the spare room at random times. Presumably you would be using their bathroom facilities and kitchen. We live and learn.
    Its called “renting a room” .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Friends have done it a lot cheaper - by buying well selected old display stock and having a friendly joiner/fitter do the work on a day rate.

Doing it yourself would work, but I suspect like a lot of us you might be time poor.
    Yeah , Wicks are £4k for fittings and appliances , £4k installation , going through design with them tomorrow. I lidared the rooms in the flat yesterday so have coarse geometry meshes they can use fir the visualisation and measurements .

B&Q seem a lot cheaper £3k not invouding appliances but installation included . Thats the cheapest kitchen they do. AO are excelkent in my experience with installing appliances and vetting the RCD firing and price and ease of delivery times.

Other option is buy the fittings and get a local installer to handle . There are plenty around looking online.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That explains the previous post about peeing in the sink then.

M
    I’m actually Irish .

Blog Entries
    Its called “renting a room” .
    I just can't keep up with all these new slang terms.

Master
    I just can't keep up with all these new slang terms.
    Yes I can see that.

Liking the cut of your jib. If you don’t mind mucking in and are a bit canny, I did a complete refit of my one bedroom BTL flat in CM1 a few years back with Wickes Kitchen & shower room, plus Allied Flooring throughout and redecoration for £5k all in. It was a few years ago but has stood up well and still perfectly serviceable to this day. Best of luck buddy.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    I got screwed over £7 k bathroom in Pembrokeshire and workmanship was pants. Needs replacing 5 years on - leaks like a sieve and they folded the company.

Anyway kitchen much better story. I think all in £2k worktops and materials and a chippy to fit the worktops. That includes new hood, sink taps metro tiles done by me. Didn’t include dishwasher (500) and hob / Cooker about £1k or cabinets but I really think £5k possible.

So my experience is you will easily do the kitchen but bathrooms have been hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest will the bathroom need tiling? I’m guessing a good chunk of the cost may come from that.

You can often get ex-display units for a good discount.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Out of interest will the bathroom need tiling? I’m guessing a good chunk of the cost may come from that.
    Yes fully tiled . Floor and walls .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjones3 View Post

So my experience is you will easily do the kitchen but bathrooms have been hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting ; Wicks were saying the opposite , bathroom was manageable for £5k.

Appliances I probably will go with AO as I’ve been extremely impresssed by their installations on two cookers . Curry’s were absolutely useless in comparisson.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    You can often get ex-display units for a good discount.

Eddie
    I found it was good for single expensive items like high end baths and granite worktops but still above my budget .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Liking the cut of your jib. If you don’t mind mucking in and are a bit canny, I did a complete refit of my one bedroom BTL flat in CM1 a few years back with Wickes Kitchen & shower room, plus Allied Flooring throughout and redecoration for £5k all in. It was a few years ago but has stood up well and still perfectly serviceable to this day. Best of luck buddy.
    Cheers . Trying to get , kitchen , bathroom for £10k ,
    Lounge and bedroom furniture for £4k ( mainly ikea , they do not bad full bedroom sets for £200 including double beds , that will do for the tennants rooms .

Floors are mainly laminate which is fine as I don’t like carpets outside bedrooms . Hall needs recarpeting as its in a terrible state and pungent (dog) .

Rest is painting over hideous wallpaper and snagging which I’ll do myself .

Yes fully tiled . Floor and walls .
    Why not go for wet wall on a BTL, surely more cost effective.

Sounds more like an HMO the way rooms are rented or if in a less salubrious part of town lets call it a bed sit!

5k on each is easy if fitting and sourcing yourself, we (myself and business partner) actually refurbished a 3 bed end terraced house for 7k, the only contractor we used was a trusted carpet fitter, other than that we done everything and to a high standard for just over 7k..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Why not go for wet wall on a BTL, surely more cost effective.
    Its an option discussing tomorrow . I’m a bit wary of wet rooms in flats as it can cause merry hell downstairs if it fails .

I generally go super clean modern or classic old fashioned , with most things. , bathrooms I prefer old fashioned , black and white tiles , brass/chrome , goes with my gillette fatboy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sounds more like an HMO the way rooms are rented or if in a less salubrious part of town lets call it a bed sit!

5k on each is easy if fitting and sourcing yourself, we (myself and business partner) actually refurbished a 3 bed end terraced house for 7k, the only contractor we used was a trusted carpet fitter, other than that we done everything and to a high standard for just over 7k..
    Its not an HMO . Did my checking .

Yea its the time . I’m down for all the painting and decorating already . Tiling is the question mark. I can do basic electrical like sockets and lights assuming the wiring is already there .p

Craftsman
    In terms of kitchen fitting, or plumber to do bathroom etc, maybe try and find someone to fit on a day rate basis, and supply all the materials yourself. I'd expect to pay no more than £1-1.5K for a full kitchen installation. Day rate for a skilled guy is probably £200-300 a day where I live, but possibly cheaper in Scotland ? The installation quotes from kitchen suppliers are usually astronomical, and are basically just looking for suckers. Likely one skilled guy and one labourer needed.

If you are letting, then I think you'll also need all the gas appliances (assuming there are some) and electrics all properly tested, signed off, all part of the paperwork needed to be a landlord. I think gas safety is an annual requirement as well. Perhaps existing landlords can comment further on that regard ? Usually these are all signed off by the trades person who did the installation. Risky for them to sign off someone else's work otherwise ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post

If you are letting, then I think you'll also need all the gas appliances (assuming there are some) and electrics all properly tested, signed off, all part of the paperwork needed to be a landlord. I think gas safety is an annual requirement as well. Perhaps existing landlords can comment further on that regard ? Usually these are all signed off by the trades person who did the installation. Risky for them to sign off someone else's work otherwise ...
    Thanks for the installation estimates most useful.

I’m good with all the certification and regulations , know all that side well . A lot of it doesn’t actually apply to renting out two rooms in your primary domicile but common sense dictates you keep your electrics and gas appliances serviced and safe regardless.

You also don’t need to declare up to £7500 a year in rental income again if its derived from your primary domicile . Rent more than two rooms and you are in HMO territory . Not that HMO certification is particularly difficult.

There are tax advantages to buying multiple buy to let properties through a pvt ltd company. Not least of which is offsetting mortgage interest agaibst profits . I have a couple but this one will be down as my personal as I’ll likely only occupy it 50% of the time due to extensive travel for work .

All becoming clearer now, and why it appeared odd that you were letting a house but retaining a room. You are only letting out rooms, retaining one room for yourself to use all the time or part of the time. (Or possibly not at all - but a tax/regulation benefit?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    All becoming clearer now, and why it appeared odd that you were letting a house but retaining a room. You are only letting out rooms, retaining one room for yourself to use all the time or part of the time. (Or possibly not at all - but a tax/regulation benefit?)
    I've been clear on what I've said not sure why you think anything is somehow "becoming clear" , enlighten me .

I've been clear on what I've said not sure why you think anything is somehow "becoming clear" , enlighten me .
    Bought a 4 bed flat , it’s primarily going to be a buy to let but I’ll have a room in it for when I’m in the area.”

Master
    Mission accomplished :

Wren kitchen £4k includes cabinets , worktops , tech wall , oven , hob , hood . Flooring ( laminate) .

Installation is £2.5k invluding the dropped ceiling local fitter.
    £500 for electrical install and some witk in the rest of the flat .

Bathroom was £3500, they stuffed me with the rubble removal so that was another £120.

Wetwall instead of tiles , laminate floor instead of tiles .

£10620.

Had ridiculous quotes from local companies one guy wanted £14k to give me a bespoke kitchen ; turned out it was a Wren kitchen which I found out when I went to wren direct and showed the visualisation and they tokd me it was their design.

Blog Entries
    Mission accomplished :

Wren kitchen £4k includes cabinets , worktops , tech wall , oven , hob , hood . Flooring ( laminate) .

Installation is £2.5k invluding the dropped ceiling local fitter.
    £500 for electrical install and some witk in the rest of the flat .

Bathroom was £3500, they stuffed me with the rubble removal so that was another £120.

Wetwall instead of tiles , laminate floor instead of tiles .

£10620.

Had ridiculous quotes from local companies one guy wanted £14k to give me a bespoke kitchen ; turned out it was a Wren kitchen which I found out when I went to wren direct and showed the visualisation and they tokd me it was their design.
    There you go!!!

What people are prepared to pay for ‘perceived quality’ is unreal

I bet it looks very smart too…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    There you go!!!

What people are prepared to pay for ‘perceived quality’ is unreal

I bet it looks very smart too…
    Absolutely , Don’t need marble worktops and tuscan tiles for this one its not required to be a dream kitchen just decently functional. Wren were excellent and delivery was fine , should be fitted by the end of next week touchwood .

I did want to support local companies but they were very inflexible on install dates and were clearly trying to rinse me for all they couldwhilst acting like they were doing me a favour . The fitters and electrician are local independent guys though recommended by local cabbies , ( always ask the cabbies if you want local advice ) .

Well that's encouraging news. I need my kitchen sorting and was concerned about the frankly ridiculous quotes I was hearing about other people getting!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Well that's encouraging news. I need my kitchen sorting and was concerned about the frankly ridiculous quotes I was hearing about other people getting!
    Wren or Howden’s I recommend , Magnet were also good to deal with but availability was an issue .

Wren did laminate flooring as part of the kitchen package , Howdens’s were not including floors.

Having prebuilt cabinets vs flat pack was £600 difference for my medium sized kitchen , my fitter said he’d build it all from flatpack for £150 .

Fitter is also supplying and fitting a dropped ceiling .

My fitter is handling plumbing and basic electricals but I’ve got an electrician in for adding and moving sockets and switches .

I’ll do the painting and any cosmetic plastering myself .