closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garmin Solar powered watch, but which one?

Garmin Solar powered watch, but which one?

Seeking advice from members who have followed a similar thought process.

I currently wear on a regular basis a Forerunner55, which has worked perfectly without issue and until now, has done what I needed.

But I have been contemplating replacing it with a more higher spec Garmin.

Looking at getting one that at least is Solar Powered, has Heart Rate and Oxygen level features.

My wrist is 6.75" in diameter and approx 2" flat across the top.

I have been looking at the Instinct 2s Solar which is a 40mm watch.

Would I be able to go up a size to the 45mm one.

Also, should I not be limiting myself just to the Instinct, but also considering the Fenix range, though I am not sure that I could get away with a 47mm watch. I dislike wearing a watch were by the lugs overhang the wrist.

Or would you recommend me considering any of their other models?

I've just obtained a Venu off the forum and very pleased with it.
    Oled display, and battery life 4 or 5 days. Charges quite quickly too.
    There's the updated Venu 2 as well.
    I'm not bothered it not being solar.

Fenix have an “s” model in their range which is the smaller size (40 or 42mm) which wears less like a dinner plate and is more suitable for a smaller, flatter wrist (I have the Fenix 6s and think it’s a great piece of kit, my only regret is not getting the solar version).

Solar only tops up and extends battery life (and then hardly at all in Winter of course) by a few days. Nice to have but not really essential.

Craftsman
    Highly recommend the Instinct 2X Solar but try on first if you can. Fantastic battery life and comes with latest sensors.

I have an instinct 2 and previously had a solar 2s.

I have a similar wrist size and preferred the 2s in hindsight

Trying to find the cheapest way of swapping back to the smaller size

Do you need the solar? The standard 2 non solar is something like 28 days in just smartwatch mode

Master
    Have a look at the Fenix 7s which is 42mm with 20mm lug width. Comes in various models, solar, non solar, pro, sapphire etc. Think the non solar models have a battery life of up to 11 days and the solar ones up to 14 days....dependent of use.
    I have the Fenix 7x Sapphire Solar which has a ridiculously long battery life but it is rather massive on the wrist😁

Thanks for all your replies and advice.
    Will take a look at each of your suggestions.

Incidentally, I placed this thread on this part of the forum, after seeing a similar thread here.
    And pondered afterwards on whether the obvious watch section would have been more suited.
    Any thoughts?

Another Instinct solar owner here. Best Garmin I've had by a long way. Bought on SC naturally.

Last edited by gunner; 13th June 2023 at 14:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Solar only tops up and extends battery life (and then hardly at all in Winter of course) by a few days. Nice to have but not really essential.
    I have two Instinct Solars and a non-solar Instinct. Might be different for the Instinct 2 but on the "1", the solar charging is really not much more than a gimmick. Barely makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I have two Instinct Solars and a non-solar Instinct. Might be different for the Instinct 2 but on the "1", the solar charging is really not much more than a gimmick. Barely makes a difference.
    Based on your experience.
    Does the solar versions require charging as often as the non solar version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a Solar Instinct owner. Great bit of kit. Don't think the solar adds much.

Amazon has the non solar one cheap

Cheap Solar version on sports pursuit at the moment.

One thing I would say is, I only wear it when I am doing something sporty.

The big buttons are great for swimming (compared to touch screen with wet figures etc)

But if you want something to wear all the time to monitor pulse, steps etc, it's too bulky in my view

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Not sure how much the solar charging adds but the watch easily runs a month without charge so I'm pretty relaxed.

I think the monotone, non backlit, non touch sensitive screen is the main reason.

Master
    The Epix range has just been extended to add a 42mm. I like the Venu 2 plus range as well as it offers a better smartwatch experience with the phone call ability that comes in 43mm and will probably bee my next Garmin.
    As others have said i wouldn't bother with solar. Battery life is already very good and solar adds little to that. not worth the extra in my opinion.

I had a first gen solar instinct, got more solar "power" in 2 weeks in Spain than 18months UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Based on your experience.
    Does the solar versions require charging as often as the non solar version?
    No, but I'm convinced that that's mostly because the solar version either has a better capacity battery, or it uses the juice more efficiently. Even with GPS and bluetooth switched off, the solar charging feature won't keep up.

Whereas (by comparison) I have a solar-powered Casio GPS watch, and I can charge that one up to full using daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Also a Solar Instinct owner. Great bit of kit. Don't think the solar adds much.

Amazon has the non solar one cheap

Cheap Solar version on sports pursuit at the moment.

One thing I would say is, I only wear it when I am doing something sporty.

The big buttons are great for swimming (compared to touch screen with wet figures etc)

But if you want something to wear all the time to monitor pulse, steps etc, it's too bulky in my view

Thanks for the heads up.
    The price Sports Pursuit is offering is a fantastic deal.
    But sods law its only on the 45mm, which I think maybe too large for my wrist.
    If only they offered the same on the 2S!

No sure if you are still looking but loads now on offer on SportsPursuit, including the 2s

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/g..._price&dir=asc

^^^^^
    Thanks for the heads up.
    But I bought a Series 8 Apple Watch.
    In hindsight the Apple will be more suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk