closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tissot Sideral Re-issue

Tissot Sideral Re-issue

This morning I have been reading about the new Tissot Sideral re-issue.

Tissot are knocking it out of the park as a manufacturer with the stunning and great value PRX offerings, so I was interested to see this heritage re-issue offering the same Powermatic 80 movement in a forged carbon case.

The other details of this watch that I appreciate are the power reserve, multiple lumiNova colours, quick release innovative fastening strap, 300m water resistance, screw-down crown, great relaxed summer colours and a price of under £1000.

70's retro is never going to be for everyone and this will likely be a marmite watch, but with strong specifications and a closeness to the original design, coupled with upgraded modern interpretation and materials where it makes most sense, makes for an attractive heritage and value led product from Tissot once again in my opinion.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/...ult/?q=sideral

https://monochrome-watches.com/tissot-sideral-powermatic-80-automatic-forged-carbon-regatta-dive-watch-video-review-specs-price/

Blog Entries
    Yellow one for me please! Funky.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    The original had a fibreglass case. While I get that the carbon case is a sort of modern take on that, hence will appeal to people who are fond of the original, for most folks it seems to me that it's a bit incongruous with the automatic movement.

People who like traditional / classic designs won't like the carbon case. People who like more modern / contemporary watches won't like the automatic movement.

I'd prefer a quartz version myself.

Interesting, but a bit too quirky for me.

The PRX is great (especially in quartz form), but I won't be adding this.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

30 Bar WR, Forged Carbon case, 80 hr Power reserve, Sapphire front and back and loads of different Super Luminova colours makes this a very compelling offer for £910 RRP as a funky summer watch

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like these, 70s styling with a modern twist.

It would have been great if they fused the colour into the case of the red and yellow versions like they have done with the blue.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I like these, 70s styling with a modern twist.

It would have been great if they fused the colour into the case of the red and yellow versions like they have done with the blue.
    Yes, strange they haven’t done that.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    30 Bar WR, Forged Carbon case, 80 hr Power reserve, Sapphire front and back and loads of different Super Luminova colours makes this a very compelling offer for £910 RRP as a funky summer watch
    Especially because you will find them for a lot less than £910.

I was going to pick up an Oris Colson because I wanted a carbon fibre with a bit of colour but this is much more wallet friendly.

I like the look of this quite a bit! I think the yellow one for me!
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 1st June 2023 at 12:45.

My old Sideral S from around 1972, long since sold. Sorry for the crap photo, my old photobucket account won't let me share directly and has downsized the file sizes.

I think the reinterpretation is very good and won't have the 'novelty/toy watch' feel the original had. Love the lume use too.

Gary

Craftsman
    Look pretty cool and a fair price ,how scratch resistant and tough is forged carbon ?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

I was hovering and then saw the lume, aye Karumba! That things a mini disco ball!
    Not sure why they didn’t do these in quartz as an 2023 answer to the 80’s Swatch, at a keener price where buying all 3 would be less than £2.5k?!

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    Look pretty cool and a fair price ,how scratch resistant and tough is forged carbon ?

It can vary depending on the construction techniques I believe, but I would suggest that forged carbon is now a better understood process than it was in the early days of forged carbon watch case construction.

AP were the originators of forged carbon usage in watch cases (if memory serves me correctly), and some of their early Offshore models such as the Grand Prix and Alinghi didn't stand up over time at all well, with chips on sharp edges and general delaminating being a visible issue on a number I have seen. However, I have a forged carbon watch that is 4 years old and the case is as new, free from scratches and delaminating. I would hope that the construction techniques are better understood now, and that longevity of the case should not be a concern, but likely only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post

I have a luminox as a beater - not a mark on it.

I like it. Looks retro but modern, cool but funky and covers all the bases as a holiday beater.

I'll wait and see if anyone takes the plunge first to get some real world reviews, but I can see myself having a dabble.

Looking further into this - is there a process reason why only the blue one has the main colour running through the case?

A longer video, in Italian but with subtitles, for anyone interested.

Gary

Funky watch! If they add an orange version at some point, I'll be on it like Phil Schofield on a twink...

Have to say that I like these, but not the RRP. Will definitely try one on in store though.

Grand Master
    Like the PRX Tissot.Resembles a well known brand......

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Like the PRX Tissot.Resembles a well known brand......
    Tissot?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Have to say that I like these, but not the RRP. Will definitely try one on in store though.
    What's wrong with the RRP?
    I grant you that as a Tissot it will almost definitely end up getting discounted, but that is an impressive specification for the money.
    Compare to Doxa's forged carbon case range? RRP £3790, with the same 300m WR.

I grant you that as a Tissot it will almost definitely end up getting discounted, but that is an impressive specification for the money.
    Compare to Doxa's forged carbon case range? RRP £3790, with the same 300m WR.

Yep - who is going to pay RRP - it's likely to get discounted to the £500-£600 and it's very tasty at that price?

As I said above - I did look at the Oris Coulson as I wanted one carbon watch but I'll save the case and get one of these to go in collection instead.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Tissot?
    I think it has a look of the Oyster quartz.

I grant you that as a Tissot it will almost definitely end up getting discounted
    This. Why not pitch it at £5-600 in the first place and sell loads like the PRX?

I’d buy one today at this price. At RRP, I’m not a buyer because I know it will end up being discounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I agree. Rather like the look of that, possibly one to try on first though as it isn’t my usual sort of thing.
    I think people are living in a fantasy world of thinking that’s a £400-600 watch at RRP though.

Blog Entries
    I’d rather by a TAG with standard ETA for a couple of thousand Pounds….
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Funky watch! If they add an orange version at some point, I'll be on it like Phil Schofield on a twink...
    Looks like you can get an orange strap at least.

I like the blue one, just like my PRX, and would have liked a cheaper quartz version again just like my PRX. Like others will wait to see what the pricing settles at new and used.

Really like the look of this watch (especially the yellow) but dont like the price at all. I know there are other watches out there of a similar spec for double the price but I wouldnt buy one of them either. When Ollech and Wajs brought out new watches their starting price was about £900 it seems thats the new £3-500 for most watch companies.

I would say it hints of trying to push Tissot towards the position Longines once had and Longines towards the position Omega once had in price and not much else. As others have said, price them at around £5-600 and I would be interested. Whenever I used to travel to Switzerland Tissot seemed to be one of the most common watches in flea markets over there sort of giving me the impression Tissot were to the Swiss what Accurist or Rotary were to us in the 1970s not a bad thing I would just rather watch companies stuck to their honest roots.

Master
    I like the one with the grey track, but I'd have to lose that red strap and replace it with a DLC bracelet. Having hidden lugs opens a whole world of bracelets; and I bet it would look great on a DLC mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

As others have said, price them at around £5-600 and I would be interested.
    Well that's the real price that most of us will end up paying for this in an Ernest Jones or Goldsmiths sale - only the mad pay retail!

Journeyman
    I really like these, was thinking about picking up an unusual case material and this certainly fits the bill.

Will be interesting to see how popular they are, hopefully they make their way to boutiques quickly!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Can the Powermatic movement only be regulated by the manufacturer? I recall reading something about laser adjustment in the factory and lack of a conventional regulator on these movements.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Can the Powermatic movement only be regulated by the manufacturer? I recall reading something about laser adjustment in the factory and lack of a conventional regulator on these movements.
    It's nonsense written by some people that lack a fundamental understanding of watch movements.

It can be regulated via the two screws on the balance wheel, like any other free sprung escapement.

Some ADs have these with 15% off already btw.

Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    It's nonsense written by some people that lack a fundamental understanding of watch movements.

It can be regulated via the two screws on the balance wheel, like any other free sprung escapement.

Thank you.

Master
    I really like these and could be tempted by a yellow one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Some ADs have these with 15% off already btw.
    Interesting, got a link?

It's through Francis & Gaye - use code FG15Z.

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    It's through Francis & Gaye - use code FG15Z.
    Thanks

Too small a discount at this point - I work on a third off as minimum for a Tissot.

These are crying out for the Hirsch Performance straps such as the 'Robby'.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 4th June 2023 at 11:06.

The Hirsch Robby is a great strap - I hope they still do a version with the black pvd buckle, would be a great alternative to the oem fitted option. I’ve had a few coloured rubber straps over the years and they tend to pick up staining from everyday wear - even something innocuous like putting your hand in your jeans pocket can result in a permanent blue stain on a yellow or red strap sadly

Just seen a yellow one in Wigan. Very nice in person and as soon as the price is right...

Can anyone tell me how to use the red/green 10 minute regatta timing marks, please?

I could be interested but I don't understand how the race start countdown timer on the dial works in practice?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Tissot Sideral Re-issue

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I could be interested but I don't understand how the race start countdown timer on the dial works in practice?
    Looks like a gimmick to me. You’d have to set the minute hand to 12 and push in the crown at the 10 minute countdown. My brother has been/ still sometimes is an Americas Cup official and sailor , he has a big collection of watches - not a single yacht timer!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Looks like a gimmick to me. You’d have to set the minute hand to 12 and push in the crown at the 10 minute countdown. My brother has been/ still sometimes is an Americas Cup official and sailor , he has a big collection of watches - not a single yacht timer!
    Yeah, to me it looks like a ''desk sailors'' yacht timer, of course one could use the countdown bezel to countdown to race starts but the red/green section on the dial is for ''desk sailors'', happy to be proven wrong tho...

I feel the same, looks funky, don’t care if the coloured bits on the dial serve no function whatsoever!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I feel the same, looks funky, don’t care if the coloured bits on the dial serve no function whatsoever!!
    That's like having a dive watch with a fixed bezel, or a chronograph with painted on subdials..

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    That's like having a dive watch with a fixed bezel, or a chronograph with painted on subdials..
    Or a swatch with Big Ben/a flower whatever on the dial! Doesn’t really matter imho