closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 115 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    £100m cash, £5m add ons
    I don't believe it is 100m cash. It is 100m initial fee plus 5m add ons (performance related etc).
    The structure of payments of the 100m is still up for debate...from Sky Sports News:

Sky Sports News has been told Arsenal will have to negotiate the structure of their new record-breaking offer for Rice.

It's thought West Ham United want the guaranteed fee paid up in a shorter time frame.

The total amount - £105m - is not expected to be an issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I don't believe it is 100m cash. It is 100m initial fee plus 5m add ons (performance related etc).
    The structure of payments of the 100m is still up for debate...from Sky Sports News:
    I think that the idea of asking for “extended credit” terms is a nonsense (and I know it’s a common feature of transfer deals). That’s the sort of thing FFP should be stopping. If you want to buy a player, put the cash on the table. If you haven’t got the cash, get a bank loan. (And FFP should also have strict rules about debt.)

Master
    105m is a lot of money for Declan Rice in my opinion

How much would Roy Keane be worth today? £200m? Gerrard the same?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    105m is a lot of money for Declan Rice in my opinion

How much would Roy Keane be worth today? £200m? Gerrard the same?
    A lot for sure and also they are pricing him higher than Bellingham and I don't think he is a better player than Bellingham. I'm not sure he is better than who we already have in that position, Thomas Partey either! But I think Arsenal aim to have him in more of a box to box role that he plays at West Ham as opposed to the DM role he plays for England.

I also don't think City will be back in for him. City have money but tend not to pay over the odds and get into bidding wars. Being honest I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't get him as I think that is too much money. Liverpool (MacAllister) and Newcastle (Tonali) have spent money far more wisely for midfielders this window IMHO

Also say Arteta gets Rice, he gets Havertz, he gets Timber, Lavia etc. Also talk about Osimhen now from Napoli. That is likely to be around £400m outlay total. The team finished 2nd last season without that outlay so surely with that outlay the expectation would be he wins the league. You do not spend that money to come 2nd again. And even with that outlay City would be favourites so I think the pressure and expectation will be massive
    Last edited by ryanb741; 28th June 2023 at 10:18.

Twitter sources saying City have pulled out of the battle to sign Rice so he will be an Arsenal player.

Twitter sources saying City have pulled out of the battle to sign Rice so he will be an Arsenal player.
    Gaughan was pretty reliable on City transfers so I’m sure it’s accurate .
    Not a huge surprise as we tend not to exceed our valuation on players and it’s served us well in the past .
    Glad we helped West Ham get a few £ more out of Arsenal who should be expected to romp the PL next year now , surely ?

He isn’t good enough to get in the City team. He would be a squad player at best, but would be guaranteed medals. At Arsenal he will get game time, probably end up as captain, may win the odd domestic cup at best, certainly nothing else.

Game time and life in the smoke or a cabinet full of honours - your choice Declan old boy!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    He isn’t good enough to get in the City team. He would be a squad player at best, but would be guaranteed medals. At Arsenal he will get game time, probably end up as captain, may win the odd domestic cup at best, certainly nothing else.

Game time and life in the smoke or a cabinet full of honours - your choice Declan old boy!!!
    Jude Bellingham or Declan Rice for £100m+
    I don’t get the valuation

Even as an Arsenal fan, there is still no way we are winning the PL next season, we need to focus the league cup or something to at least win a cup. I would not buy Rice for 105mil, that is just crazy money. I think top 4 would be a struggle, even with the money spent, don't see Kai improving us at all, Rice would yes but at what cost.

Best case we drop out of the champs league and into the Europa and try win that.

City will win it again, and for the next 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Even as an Arsenal fan, there is still no way we are winning the PL next season, we need to focus the league cup or something to at least win a cup. I would not buy Rice for 105mil, that is just crazy money. I think top 4 would be a struggle, even with the money spent, don't see Kai improving us at all, Rice would yes but at what cost.

Best case we drop out of the champs league and into the Europa and try win that.

City will win it again, and for the next 4-5 years.
    I can't see us not finishing top 4. It will be harder this season as Liverpool will be back, Newcastle stronger and Chelsea also, But I think we have the 2nd best team and Timber and Rice in particular improve it.

Gvardiol is a massive signing for City, he is class. Losing Gundogan and Silva is big for them though

Rice to Arsenal done subject to medical. £300k a week, 6 year deal

Nice. Good money that

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Almost £100m in wages 😳

Rice to Arsenal done subject to medical. £300k a week, 6 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Almost £100m in wages 
    I was thinking the other night about Garath Bale, who was on £600k a week at RM for about 8 years, care to add that one up.

I was thinking the other night about Garath Bale, who was on £600k a week at RM for about 8 years, care to add that one up.
    Even more.

Think of the tax

Oh jeez. just read Man. United are after De Jong ............again....!

Circa £250m.

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Oh jeez. just read Man. United are after De Jong ............again....!
    They do this every season .
    Linked with all the best players , nothing comes of it and then they overpay for very average footballers.
    Plus, with the state of their finances, they might be better going for Nigel de Jong .
    FDJ seemingly isn’t for moving from Barca anyway .

Come on Ryan, what's happening with King Kai?

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Come on Ryan, what's happening with King Kai?

Deal has completed.

Rice probably Friday. Timber Friday. Lavia now has Liverpool interested. It seems Arsenal also now may go for Caicedo as well. We need a proper striker and there was talk about Osimhen from Napoli as they want Folarin Balogun but the Napoli President says Osimhen is valued at 180m and even if that is a big exaggeration it's not like he would be happy with 130m so that will rule us out I think

Might as well get Kane

Chequebook Arteta strikes again says no media outlet whatsoever.
    That’s another team that have outspent City since Pep the bald fraud took over.

Master
    Probably the most ridiculous fee of all time this one for rice.

Arsenal having an absolute nightmare here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Probably the most ridiculous fee of all time this one for rice.

Arsenal having an absolute nightmare here.

I dunno about that. There have been some shockers. Man U paid £30mn for Veron about 20 years ago and he was gash.

How much was Torres to Chelsea? £50mn?

All depends how he gets on I suppose. Will certainly make them a lot tougher

Master
    Havertz for 65m could be a bargain.

More likely a shocking mistake.

I find that more surprising than the 105m for Rice. With him you know what you’re getting. A solid performer and a professional with a level head. Plus he is even English.

It’s a gamble, Van Dike to Liverpool was a master stroke, Maguire to United was like buying a donkey off the beach at Blackpool and he was more expensive.

£105m for Rice, £65m for Havertz and £45m for Timber. So far.

Got to love Arteta and our plucky squad of Youth Team battlers

Maddison? Gone to spuds apparently.

Yep. Good signing for them I reckon as they lacked creativity in midfield last season

Master
    FFS Ken
    Dalglish and Van Dijk

He was always going to a London club. More tanning shops and ringpiece bleachers down there.

Chelsea fans will tell you he can have a flash of brilliance every half dozen games but does nowt else. I’ll bet he’ll be a flop at Arsenal.

I find that more surprising than the 105m for Rice. With him you know what you’re getting. A solid performer and a professional with a level head. Plus he is even English.

Decent price for Dec although god knows how we're going to replace him. Having actually watched him play for the last 4 or 5 years he's been our best player week in, week out. Never injured, played 3000+ minutes almost every season since making the first team and really held the team together. He'd walk into any team in the Prem.

He'll be sorely missed at West Ham although I genuinely hope he never wins anything at Arsenal.

Let's hope that Arsenal aren't paying with Klarna and we have a decent budget to play with this window.

I do find it weird that many West Ham fans are annoyed Rice went to Arsenal and hope he wins nothing. Seems they'd prefer he went to Man City. Why? It's not as if Arsenal have a bad relationship with West Ham or are rivals and just making the league a walkover for City is hardly in anyone's best interests. Rice is hardly Payet in the way he left the club.

Master
    Deal has completed.

Rice probably Friday. Timber Friday. Lavia now has Liverpool interested. It seems Arsenal also now may go for Caicedo as well. We need a proper striker and there was talk about Osimhen from Napoli as they want Folarin Balogun but the Napoli President says Osimhen is valued at 180m and even if that is a big exaggeration it's not like he would be happy with 130m so that will rule us out I think
    Not sure a club who has paid £105 million for Rice can be ruled out of any transfer.

Master

A solid performer for 105m, it’s madness.

As for Veron and Fernando they were World Class players that just didn’t work out.

I do find it weird that many West Ham fans are annoyed Rice went to Arsenal and hope he wins nothing. Seems they'd prefer he went to Man City. Why? It's not as if Arsenal have a bad relationship with West Ham or are rivals and just making the league a walkover for City is hardly in anyone's best interests. Rice is hardly Payet in the way he left the club.

But Arsenal are much closer rivals than Man City... where I grew up back in the late 70's/early 80's you supported West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool. There were a few Ipswich but in the main it was the London clubs so whilst my dislike for Arsenal is no where near that of Spurs, I'd still they rather won nothing. Seeing them spend a fortune and still fall short would be really quite amusing.

I'd have much preferred Rice to go to Man City, he would have improved significantly under Pep which is of benefit to England, I'm less convinced about Arteta. Frankly if Man City win the league for the next 10 years it makes very difference to me.

And just for clarity, I hope Arsenal win nothing. I hope Declan wins a World Cup, Euros etc etc. He did things in absolutely the right way and he'll get a great response before the home match in Feb.
    Last edited by Meesterbond; 29th June 2023 at 10:38.

I dunno about that. There have been some shockers. Man U paid £30mn for Veron about 20 years ago and he was gash.
    As an aside I was at his home debut and came away saying he was imperious, a fabulous buy, van Nistelrooy also made his home debut that day and I wrote him off as 'never going to fit into the team'.

There are reasons why I have never made a career as a football manager/scout/pundit.

Master
    What’s this belief that Pep drastically improves players ?

Any player is going to improve playing for a top side.

I see it rolled out constantly, on forums and in the papers and don’t see how anyone can claim it to be true ?

I see it rolled out constantly, on forums and in the papers and don’t see how anyone can claim it to be true ?

He certainly improves their salaries!

Master
    He certainly improves their salaries!
    True! Lots of success bonuses paid for the trophies they win.

What’s the point of any manager if they can’t improve the players they are working with ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

So you don't think Eddie Howe improved Newcastle, Arteta improved Arsenal and even Ten Haag improved Manchester United? I don't think you will find many people who have been closely involved in sport at any level who believe that a good coach doesn't improve performance at whatever level to a higher level.

Like you, I have zero practical knowledge/experience of football coaching and management but I think an overwhelming majority of former players and managers know the difference the best can make.

Have a watch of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-in-a-lifetime
    Last edited by David_D; 29th June 2023 at 17:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    So you don't think Eddie Howe improved Newcastle, Arteta improved Arsenal and even Ten Haag improved Manchester United? I don't think you will find many people who have been closely involved in sport at any level who believe that a good coach doesn't improve performance at whatever level to a higher level.

Like you, I have zero practical knowledge/experience of football coaching and management but I think an overwhelming majority of former players and managers know the difference the best can make.

Have a watch of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-in-a-lifetime
    Unlike you I don’t have have zero practical knowledge of football coaching.

Coaches don’t improve players.

Coaches set up systems for players to play in to maximise the players attributes for the team.

I think Ivan's point is not that good managers don't make a difference, it's more that Pep is especially lauded for doing so, to the extent that it's a bit of a cliché now

Clearly he improves players, but so do most of the others.

Master
    I think Ivan's point is not that good managers don't make a difference, it's more that Pep is especially lauded for doing so, to the extent that it's a bit of a cliché now

Clearly he improves players, but so do most of the others.
    Well Guardiola improves them to the extent that Manchester City, apparently, break all sorts of records and win lots of trophies so maybe that's the distinguishing feature. I think something can be a cliche and true. End of the day, TalkSport, Radio 5, and the rest of the media have to fill lots of time and column inches so whatever they say gets repeated ad nauseum and it gets boring. Does my head in and so I just don't listen. I recommend that approach

Master
    Unlike you I don’t have have zero practical knowledge of football coaching.

Coaches set up systems for players to play in to maximise the players attributes for the team.
    Whatever you say, chief.

I must respectfully say that’s possibly the biggest load o’ shyte I’ve ever heard.

That’s good for you mate .
    You’ll catch a few with that one 😉

The acid test will be when he leaves, United struggled after Sir Alex remember.