closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Hi Marc

The squad contains some remarkable players that have either been used incorrectly or, used hardly at all. After Tuchel's personal problems that led to his demise, the squad seemed not to be able to lift their game, perhaps because they didn't respect Potter sufficiently and the appointment of Frank should never have happened. It would have been better to see the season out under Saltor than to bring back a manager on an interim basis that had history with some of the squad already (not all good).

I'm not sure whether Poch is the right man but he comes with a reputation. Add to this the fact that through their own underachievement, they lack the distraction of European football next season, and it could provide the perfect storm. Remember last time they didn't have European football (also after a previously disastrous season) they won the league. Top six should be an achievable goal.
    You may well be right but I come from rugby and believe that a team is just that. And if quality players cannot work as a team then you do not have a team. I know the rule in football is to change the manager but I am not convinced it's suitable. Fergie and Wenger for example had long tenures, not always crowned with success but they instilled a spirit to the team, and new players picked up on that spirit or left.
    Instead, we seem to have a culture where the changing room decides whether they will play with the manager or not, instead of for the team. So a new manager comes in, gets new players... Maybe he is talented enough to inspire the team but what becomes of the club? where is its spirit? It goes the moment the manager goes, or is replaced. What would you say of fans who behaved this way, who shifted their allegiances depending on the manager, the players, or indeed the results?

I mentioned I came from rugby. In 2011, in Auckland, the French manager (Marc Lievremont) lost the players, who disagreed with the team selection. For the final ML was basically a spectator on the bench, having left the players decide the starting 15 and the bench. They played as a team losing 7 to 8 to the AB in NZ.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You may well be right but I come from rugby and believe that a team is just that. And if quality players cannot work as a team then you do not have a team. I know the rule in football is to change the manager but I am not convinced it's suitable. Fergie and Wenger for example had long tenures, not always crowned with success but they instilled a spirit to the team, and new players picked up on that spirit or left.
    Instead, we seem to have a culture where the changing room decides whether they will play with the manager or not, instead of for the team. So a new manager comes in, gets new players... Maybe he is talented enough to inspire the team but what becomes of the club? where is its spirit? It goes the moment the manager goes, or is replaced. What would you say of fans who behaved this way, who shifted their allegiances depending on the manager, the players, or indeed the results?

I mentioned I came from rugby. In 2011, in Auckland, the French manager (Marc Lievremont) lost the players, who disagreed with the team selection. For the final ML was basically a spectator on the bench, having left the players decide the starting 15 and the bench. They played as a team losing 7 to 8 to the AB in NZ.
    You make many a good point, Marc. The trouble is the silly money in the game. The players no longer need very long careers to be set for life.