closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 110 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I must respectfully say that’s possibly the biggest load o’ shyte I’ve ever heard.
    Didn’t you see Coldplay recently?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    What’s this belief that Pep drastically improves players ?

Any player is going to improve playing for a top side.

I see it rolled out constantly, on forums and in the papers and don’t see how anyone can claim it to be true
    Ji-Sung Park
    Alexis Sanchez
    Angel di Maria
    Harry Maguire

…all improved massively at Man U

z

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The acid test will be when he leaves, United struggled after Sir Alex remember.
    And there was a good reason for that.
    The bullying old sod didn’t want his legacy tarnished or continued. Most of his team had peaked and he refused to renew his squad. He had Moyes on a hiding to nothing because of his ego. Even Van Persie was upset as Ferguson had told him he was staying on when he bought him fromArsenal. He’s still stinking the place out now.
    United need to do what Liverpool did with Shankly.

City will have a plan for when the bald fraud leaves, of that there is little doubt.
    I agree that a falloff is inevitable but Peps footprint will be around this club long after he leaves to manage a national team.

Master
    The acid test will be when he leaves, United struggled after Sir Alex remember.
    Alex Ferguson didn’t coach any players, he didn’t take sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I must respectfully say that’s possibly the biggest load o’ shyte I’ve ever heard.
    What improvements do you think a coach is making to a 26 year old footballer ?

A coach trains and buys players to fit a system.

The system is coached on the training field, players aren’t coached individually.

Hence why a player can go to a different team playing a different system that doesn’t suit their game and be a shadow of the player they once were.

Crazy was the average Joe thinks goes on in football.

Master
    Coaches don’t improve players.
    So, how do players improve?

I had a few shooting coaches over the years who improved my technique, performance and mental fortitude immeasurably, so I’ll be very interested in your reply. As an individual sport, target rifle shooting didn’t require systems or tactics, so this begs the question — why did I even have a coach? (Same applies to golf)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    So, how do players improve?

I had a few shooting coaches over the years who improved my technique, performance and mental fortitude immeasurably, so I’ll be very interested in your reply. As an individual sport, target rifle shooting didn’t require systems or tactics, so this begs the question — why did I even have a coach? (Same applies to golf)
    I can’t really be arsed to continue as people either don’t understand or haven’t been around elite football.

A coach is coaching a system. He coaches the players to play in the system.

If Guardiola, Klopp, Ferguson etc are so good at improving players why isn’t every player improving ? Why would they need to buy players ?

They buy players to play in their system then coach the players to play the system.

If you think age of 28 De Bryune is getting better as passing because of Guardiola giving him passing sessions is laughable.

Master
    Interesting to read apparently Man Utd only have a budget of around £130m this year...how does that work?

Nowhere near enough. They have spent 60m on Mount. They are looking at the Inter keeper and clearly need a world class striker.

Maybe they can convince someone to spend 40m on Maguire and 40m on Martial? Or Fred to Saudi!

I do find it odd when subs come on the coaching staff get the ipad out or some laminated sheets out and try to give instruction to a player who doesn’t look like he is listening.

I don’t recall Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley or Brian Clough needing a booklet full of pretty pictures when they managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Interesting to read apparently Man Utd only have a budget of around £130m this year...how does that work?

Nowhere near enough. They have spent 60m on Mount. They are looking at the Inter keeper and clearly need a world class striker.

Maybe they can convince Everton to spend 40m on Maguire and 40m on Martial? Or Fred to Everton!
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    FTFY
    We may be shit and red hot favourites for relegation, but I’d rather go down than sign Maguire or Martial. I’d take Fred and McTominay.

You also need to remember that the fat ginger one only signs ex Burnley players, especially those who were in the squad that were relegated. I haven’t forgiven him for getting rid of Conor Cody.

I think Mount is a good signing and in the current market a good price, in comparison to Rice he has been playing at a higher level, become Chelsea's player of the season two years running and at 25 should be hitting his prime for a few years.

I dont get the fanfare around Rice, I'm not saying he is a bad player but probably looks better at West Ham as his team mates are not exactly top draw, he has not proven himself in a team like Chelsea playing Champions League and let face it he's more used to mid table mediocrity and looking over his shoulder than top 4.

I'm sure he will do well at Ars but 6 figure players normally have a wealth of top level experience - DR doesn't..

I can’t really be arsed to continue as people either don’t understand or haven’t been around elite football.

A coach is coaching a system. He coaches the players to play in the system.

If Guardiola, Klopp, Ferguson etc are so good at improving players why isn’t every player improving ? Why would they need to buy players ?

They buy players to play in their system then coach the players to play the system.

If you think age of 28 De Bryune is getting better as passing because of Guardiola giving him passing sessions is laughable.

I will go against the grain and kind of agree with you to some extent, coaches can help develop young players maybe not so much older players, but I would not say this is always the head coach, Pep etc, clubs have teams of coaches, players learning off players, being around better players makes you push to be better, the players attitude etc. Its a whole system not just 1 person.

More is the style of play, building work rate, attitude to winning, formations, game time etc, that the head coach instils on the team, improving the system and mentality over improving the player.

Take someone like Balotelli, immense talent, but terrible attitude and went no where, as you have said you cant improve everyone no matter how good the coach is

Well, after last season's debacle I've been trying to keep my head below the parapet thus far. However, with three fantastic signings (if one includes making Kulu permanent) we're a quality left-sided CB away from plugging our obvious gaps. I'm happy that we'll be reverting to a 4-3-3 formation, and my gut feeling is that a midfield three of Bentancur, Bissouma and Maddison will be transformational. I also think that both Spence and Udogie will feature in the FB berths, and my money is placed very firmly on Harry extending his contract.

We also know that Postecoglou will have us pressing high and on the front foot at all times so the horrific period of negative football since the departure of Poch is going to be a thing of the past. I'm actually feeling quite upbeat, and pretty sure that come the end of the season we'll have secured a European spot, even if it's too early to hope for a return to the CL. COYS!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    and my money is placed very firmly on Harry extending his contract.
    Any more rumours of HK building a new house Tony? Think Harry Redknapp was quoting that but without any details......so it could be nonsense and/or just an investment property and not for living in.

And if Harry was to leave (be allowed to..........) where do you think he could/would want to go? Cheers.

Master
    Well, after last season's debacle I've been trying to keep my head below the parapet thus far. However, with three fantastic signings (if one includes making Kulu permanent) we're a quality left-sided CB away from plugging our obvious gaps. I'm happy that we'll be reverting to a 4-3-3 formation, and my gut feeling is that a midfield three of Bentancur, Bissouma and Maddison will be transformational. I also think that both Spence and Udogie will feature in the FB berths, and my money is placed very firmly on Harry extending his contract.

We also know that Postecoglou will have us pressing high and on the front foot at all times so the horrific period of negative football since the departure of Poch is going to be a thing of the past. I'm actually feeling quite upbeat, and pretty sure that come the end of the season we'll have secured a European spot, even if it's too early to hope for a return to the CL. COYS!
    I love the optimism of the close season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Any more rumours of HK building a new house Tony? Think Harry Redknapp was quoting that but without any details......so it could be nonsense and/or just an investment property and not for living in.

And if Harry was to leave (be allowed to..........) where do you think he could/would want to go? Cheers.
    Seems to be the case, Gareth. It's hinted to be a new family home, although he's certainly into property investment so who knows?

As for where Harry would choose to go if he left, I'm sure his preference would be another PL side so he can continue to chase down that record. I can't see Levy fancying that very much, though.

Premier League 2023-24

Seems to be the case, Gareth. It's hinted to be a new family home, although he's certainly into property investment so who knows?

As for where Harry would choose to go if he left, I'm sure his preference would be another PL side so he can continue to chase down that record. I can't see Levy fancying that very much, though.
    This is what I don’t get about top players with 1 year on their contract, they have all the cards, if Kane wants to leave and insists he will not sign a new contract and will sulk for 12 months Levy can squirm all he likes but he’s over a barrel of 90m+.

I think Harry may well be too nice of a bloke to create a problem and Levy knows this..

Kane is also a low single figure golfer with a love of the game and wealthy enough to afford both a property and membership at Wentworth. I think that’s far more relevant than it’s proximity to Chelsea training ground.

If he genuinely wants to leave for pastures new Levy would be foolhardy to let him leave on a free at the end of next season. He is world class and has become a real playmaker as well as a superb goal scorer. It’s going to be much easier to replace him with money from his sale.

I just don’t believe ambition to win trophies is high on Levy’s list of priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Kane is also a low single figure golfer with a love of the game and wealthy enough to afford both a property and membership at Wentworth. I think that’s far more relevant than it’s proximity to Chelsea training ground.

If he genuinely wants to leave for pastures new Levy would be foolhardy to let him leave on a free at the end of next season. He is world class and has become a real playmaker as well as a superb goal scorer. It’s going to be much easier to replace him with money from his sale.

I just don’t believe ambition to win trophies is high on Levy’s list of priorities.

Would love Kane at Arsenal, we'd offer £100m for him but I suspect even Levy wouldn't be cynical enough to let that one go through, plus no guarantee of trophies.

Sure, totally agreed on all counts Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    This is what I don’t get about top players with 1 year on their contract, they have all the cards, if Kane wants to leave and insists he will not sign a new contract and will sulk for 12 months Levy can squirm all he likes but he’s over a barrel of 90m+.

I think Harry may well be too nice of a bloke to create a problem and Levy knows this..
    Again, totally agree and especially with that last comment. And the fact Harry's Brother is his agent makes them both, in my view, an easier pair for Levy to deal with as they are not in his league for tactics/negotiations I would imagine.......so DL ties them both in knots until the nice side of Harry comes out and he just gives in. Again.

No disrespect with Spurs fans but Kane is still (even with some good new signings/new Manager who looks decent...........until he's not and Levy sacks him!) wasting his career now by staying as silverware isn't going to happen in 23/24 at all. And is the PL scoring record really that key in reality? Maybe but if staying to get that hampers the rest of the career I just cannot see the sense in that.

Sure, totally agreed on all counts Tony.

Again, totally agree and especially with that last comment. And the fact Harry's Brother is his agent makes them both, in my view, an easier pair for Levy to deal with as they are not in his league for tactics/negotiations I would imagine.......so DL ties them both in knots until the nice side of Harry comes out and he just gives in. Again.

No disrespect with Spurs fans but Kane is still (even with some good new signings/new Manager who looks decent...........until he's not and Levy sacks him!) wasting his career now by staying as silverware isn't going to happen in 23/24 at all. And is the PL scoring record really that key in reality? Maybe but if staying to get that hampers the rest of the career I just cannot see the sense in that.
    Haaland would beat Kane's record anyway if he stayed another 4 or 5 seasons.

One stat Graeme Souness came out with which I thought was incredible was that if Cristiano Ronaldo never scored another goal again, then Erling Haaland would need to score 43 goals each season for the next 16 seasons just to level Ronaldo's record!

https://www.google.com/search?q=grae...id:CNetNhhrM0M

The Kane situation puzzles me. I think I said it earlier in the thread but Levy must know that Kane is going to sign another contract or surely he’d be trying to flog him now. Most people, and especially Levy, would be wanting to recoup £90m+ rather than nowt in 12 months. He’ll end up Spurs, England and EPL record scorer but some day those will all be overtaken. That leaves him with precisely nothing in terms of career achievements. I don’t get that. For a player of his quality to not have the ambition to win a single professional honour really baffles me.

Premier League 2023-24

That all makes far too much sense and you have me all excited for the coming season.
    Damn you LTF

Shearer is a legend in English football with no silverware, and I agree his PL goals record is probably more important than team trophies for HK - though both would be great. A trophy as England captain would trump everything

Shearer won the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    That all makes far too much sense and you have me all excited for the coming season.
    Damn you LTF

Shearer is a legend in English football with no silverware, and I agree his PL goals record is probably more important than team trophies for HK - though both would be great. A trophy as England captain would trump everything

We may be shit and red hot favourites for relegation, but I’d rather go down than sign Maguire or Martial. I’d take Fred and McTominay.

You also need to remember that the fat ginger one only signs ex Burnley players, especially those who were in the squad that were relegated. I haven’t forgiven him for getting rid of Conor Cody.
    Whats the story with Cody? Was captain at Wolves then gets loaned out to Everton, seems to do weill with them then gets moved on.

Its one big wait and see with Everton, I think it might be a case of promoting some youth players to the first team and one or two scrappers who can keep Everton up.

Dyche won’t attract quality players and they’re skint anyway. His persona and style of football are negatives. They play in a rat-hole of a stadium in an awful part of the city. Some of their current squad will want to be away. I honestly can’t see anything other than another relegation fight this coming season.

It’s sad as it’s successive owners and boards that have created this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Whats the story with Cody? Was captain at Wolves then gets loaned out to Everton, seems to do weill with them then gets moved on.

Its one big wait and see with Everton, I think it might be a case of promoting some youth players to the first team and one or two scrappers who can keep Everton up.

The Kane situation puzzles me. I think I said it earlier in the thread but Levy must know that Kane is going to sign another contract or surely he’d be trying to flog him now. Most people, and especially Levy, would be wanting to recoup £90m+ rather than nowt in 12 months. He’ll end up Spurs, England and EPL record scorer but some day those will all be overtaken. That leaves him with precisely nothing in terms of career achievements. I don’t get that. For a player of his quality to not have the ambition to win a single professional honour really baffles me.
    I think he must just be happy at Spurs but I agree he should have left years ago, the issue now is he is 30 soon, so way too old for someone to be spending £100 mil on. How many good seasons does he have left? 2 maybe?

Shearer won the Premier League.
    My bad!

He also won an international tournament with England:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Tournoi_de_France

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    My bad!

Master
    Unfortunately Levy stitched him when the chance to go to city came along and as we now know that boat has sailed - Im a united fan and would love him to come but it wont happen and I cant see any reason for him to leave spurs unless he has a guaranteed chance of winning things and its only really City where that is guaranteed, for me he damages his reputation and legendary status at spurs by signing for any other english side so unless Madrid or Munich do come in for him I dont see him going anywhere and I cant blame him to be honest

Other than financial gain it would make no sense to me on a footballing basis to leave unless he can win things - its a shame as hes earned the right to win things but there really isnt many clubs that can guarantee that - personally Id like to see him go and win things as a neutral but I dont see that happening =- records get broken medals are forever

I also think by there nature strikers are selfish and love personal accoloades and the adulation of the fans - hes probably settled in London so unless there really is a great move which I dont think there is it makes no sense to gamble not in this country anyway

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 30th June 2023 at 14:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do worry that Liverpool are going to get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Unfortunately Levy stitched him when the chance to go to city came along and as we now know that boat has sailed - Im a united fan and would love him to come but it wont happen and I cant see any reason for him to leave spurs unless he has a guaranteed chance of winning things and its only really City where that is guaranteed, for me he damages his reputation and legendary status at spurs by signing for any other english side so unless Madrid or Munich do come in for him I dont see him going anywhere and I cant blame him to be honest

Other than financial gain it would make no sense to me on a footballing basis to leave unless he can win things - its a shame as hes earned the right to win things but there really isnt many clubs that can guarantee that - personally Id like to see him go and win things as a neutral but I dont see that happening =- records get broken medals are forever

I also think by there nature strikers are selfish and love personal accoloades and the adulation of the fans - hes probably settled in London so unless there really is a great move which I dont think there is it makes no sense to gamble not in this country anyway
    Well, given that I fancy Spurs to win a trophy or two he might just end up with the best of both worlds!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    we could well be, lets see how we get on, we need at least 2 more very good midfielders and either a CB or RB imo.

Wink

Well, given that I fancy Spurs to win a trophy or two he might just end up with the best of both worlds!

Bit early to be on the beers on a Friday Tony!!

Dyche won’t attract quality players and they’re skint anyway. His persona and style of football are negatives. They play in a rat-hole of a stadium in an awful part of the city. Some of their current squad will want to be away. I honestly can’t see anything other than another relegation fight this coming season.

It’s sad as it’s successive owners and boards that have created this mess.
    I’m not expecting world beaters to go to Everton next season I doubt most Everton supporters will either I would expect them to go out and look for fighters who can pull them away from a relegation battle and give the club some stability.

So no period of consolidation or progression? Just straight to winning trophies? You’ve had some of the best coaches in the game yet only won four trophies in almost forty years.

It’s entitled opinions like this that make me hope you never win anything. I’ll bet you £50 for charity that Kane doesn’t win anything while at Spurs.

Is Pau Torres to Villa a done deal at £35m?

Looked excellent the few times I’ve watched him play.

So no period of consolidation or progression? Just straight to winning trophies? You’ve had some of the best coaches in the game yet only won four trophies in almost forty years.

It’s entitled opinions like this that make me hope you never win anything. I’ll bet you £50 for charity that Kane doesn’t win anything while at Spurs.
    He’s already won a couple of golden boots and the Audi Cup.
    Poor effort at levelling the score vis-a-vis corrections :wink:

Master
    Bit early to be on the beers on a Friday Tony!!
    I had assumed Tony had started mainlining Skag

I thought the premier league closed the loophole to stop Chelsea signing players on 8 year deals???

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Macallister and Szoboszlai are two great signings .
    Looks like you’ve finally got a midfield and you’ll be back at it next season

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Apparently so. My only concern being he plays in Mings' position, but then we need a second left-footed CB. We have a midfield, now we need a winger, striker, reserve goalie and RB (and possibly a LB).
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Apparently so. My only concern being he plays in Mings' position, but then we need a second left-footed CB. We have a midfield, now we need a winger, striker, reserve goalie and RB (and possibly a LB).
    Been doing some behind the scenes restructuring as well.

If Emery has a decent transfer window they could be contenders for top four imo...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

We wanted him at Spurs - excellent signing if it actually happens. Big upgrade on Mings, too (IMO, at least).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st July 2023 at 08:17.

Top 4 will be super tight next season and I don't think Man City will have it easy, its really hard to keep that motivation and push following on from such a great season although Pep will demand it, losing some top class players will hurt plus I think other clubs will suss out how to limit Haaland.

Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal will all improve in this transfer window plus a couple of new interesting managers, all of them will be looking for top 4 and several will demand a trophy, add in lots of lower clubs are well capable of taking points off any of them and it looks to be shaping up to a very interesting season.

Master
    Dominik Szoboszlai apparently arrived for his Liverpool medical, good business it appears.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Top 4 will be super tight next season and I don't think Man City will have it easy, its really hard to keep that motivation and push following on from such a great season
    There’s also the annoying UEFA Super Cup and World Club Cup competitions to add into the mix. The latter could actually be quite interesting this year with Kante and Benzema signed up for the hosts…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Dominik Szoboszlai apparently arrived for his Liverpool medical, good business it appears.
    Was chuffed to hear this, maybe the board read the G&D

Seems like Arsenal are making up for time wasted by forking out another £77m for Aurelien Tchouamemi from Real Madrid