closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 91 of 110 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,550 of 5464

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Watkins was always a decent striker but this season he's moving into the elite category. His 2 goals against Fulham were superb and indicative of a top level striker who scores on instinct.

If you've got a guy up front who'll reliably stick chances away you've always got a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Watkins was always a decent striker but this season he's moving into the elite category. His 2 goals against Fulham were superb and indicative of a top level striker who scores on instinct.

If you've got a guy up front who'll reliably stick chances away you've always got a chance.
    Luckily you have Jesus and we have Richarlison.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Luckily you have Jesus and we have Richarlison.

I think ironically scoring isn't an issue for us, only Liverpool have scored more (a single goal more). Arsenal also have by far the most touches in the opposition box and the best overall goal difference.

Wouldn't turn down Mbappe mind you!

Watkins isn’t an elite striker. He’s a decent premier league striker but he’s not a player a big club is going to break the bank for. Drogba, Cole, Henry, Van Nistelroy, Aguero, Harland, Kane, Shearer and Wright are examples of elite strikers and Watkins is miles away from their quality.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Watkins isn’t an elite striker. He’s a decent premier league striker but he’s not a player a big club is going to break the bank for. Drogba, Cole, Henry, Van Nistelroy, Aguero, Harland, Kane, Shearer and Wright are examples of elite strikers and Watkins is miles away from their quality.
    Those are World Class strikers (except Cole IMHO).

Elite is a rung below but still superb. Current World Class Strikers are Mbappe, Haaland and Kane.

In the PL elite strikers are Watkins, Toney and Son. Nunez has the potential to move into the elite category as well. But none of those I think will hit World Class level.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that Sheff Utd won't get top 4.

Master
    You’ve missed Suarez off the Elite list. He’s genuinely one of the best strikers of all time and the best striker Liverpool have ever had. A level above the likes of Rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did, totally unintentional. I'll have missed others too. Suarez was unreal. My nephew is named after him and spelled the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    You’ve missed Suarez off the Elite list. He’s genuinely one of the best strikers of all time and the best striker Liverpool have ever had. A level above the likes of Rush.

Master
    Another thing about Suarez was he never missed a game through injury. In his 3 years with Liverpool he never missed a game with it and he has the lowest injury record of any player to ever play in a top league.

In 800 career games to date he’s missed 6 games through injury.

Blog Entries
    Another thing about Suarez was he never missed a game through injury. In his 3 years with Liverpool he never missed a game with it and he has the lowest injury record of any player to ever play in a top league.

In 800 career games to date he’s missed 6 games through injury.
    So he missed more games through biting opponents

z

Yep glaring omission but not elite, Suarez was world class, the level above elite.

Master
    Yep glaring omission but not elite, Suarez was world class, the level above elite.
    Yes, when I say elite I mean the top of top players.

Master
    Another cracking atmosphere at the Etihad.

https://x.com/stehoare/status/1758982620120006916?s=46

Craftsman
    Ryan I'm enjoying your classification system, have you got any more rungs on the ladder please?

Some suggestions:

World Class
    Elite
    Sub-elite
    Can do it at Stoke on a rainy Tuesday
    Doesn't know 'our league'
    Nicklas Bendnter Hall of Fame
    Kenwyne Jones style
    Hey, hey Bebe (ooh ah)
    Ali Dia Academy Award

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Ryan I'm enjoying your classification system, have you got any more rungs on the ladder please?

Some suggestions:

World Class
    Elite
    Sub-elite
    Can do it at Stoke on a rainy Tuesday
    Doesn't know 'our league'
    Nicklas Bendnter Hall of Fame
    Kenwyne Jones style
    Hey, hey Bebe (ooh ah)
    Ali Dia Academy Award

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Nice ranking system, I'd add 'Yaya (did you mean to sign Toure instead?) Sanogo' between Hey, Hey Bebe and Ali Dia, with him not being the lowest rung only due to somehow scoring for Arsenal in the CL against Jurgen Klopp's Dortmund. Dortmund's social media team were clearly stunned.....

Let's not forget....."Generational talent"

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Tell you what, Hojland is starting to look like some player.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Tell you what, Hojland is starting to look like some player.
    He is, I said to my work colleague who is a UTD fan I wish Arsenal signed up. Young, strong and wants to do well, had a slow start but he is playing for a very average UTD side. If he played for City he would be scoring alot.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    He is, I said to my work colleague who is a UTD fan I wish Arsenal signed up. Young, strong and wants to do well, had a slow start but he is playing for a very average UTD side. If he played for City he would be scoring alot.
    He's settled in, but his upturn also coincides with sidelining Anthony (an expensive, predictable, greedy, very average player) and switching Garnacho to the right.

United are improving, but still average. More turmoil to come with a clear out and influx this summer.

Woy has gone.

Woy has gone.
    Worst kept secret in football currently.

At 76 he's due a well earned retirement

That and Mbappe going to RM.

Worst kept secret in football currently.

Yep agreed.

Master
    Woy has gone.
    And permanent replacement appointed minutes later!! Classy!

Blog Entries
    After watching Luton v man United and being a Luton fan is crazy and very frustrating seeing the 150% effort that Luton put in every game right up untill the whistle blows and we still fighting for survival in the bottom three

Master

possibly the most complete centre forward I've ever seen in the flesh. That is as a non Liverpool fan....

he did everything brilliantly and also defended from the front, total team player and also knew when to be selfish. As a centre back I always watch CF's as how would you like to play against them; Suarez at his peak would have been a fking nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    possibly the most complete centre forward I've ever seen in the flesh. That is as a non Liverpool fan....

he did everything brilliantly and also defended from the front, total team player and also knew when to be selfish. As a centre back I always watch CF's as how would you like to play against them; Suarez at his peak would have been a fking nightmare.
    For sure Norwich City are glad to see the back of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblue View Post
    After watching Luton v man United and being a Luton fan is crazy and very frustrating seeing the 150% effort that Luton put in every game right up untill the whistle blows and we still fighting for survival in the bottom three
    If Adebayo had been playing you'd have got a point.

Hopefully you can get a point at Anfield tomorrow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post

His tactic of being 5 yards offside then being onside to a square ball was genuinely unbelievable.

I’ll find the clips of it but he scored a massive amount of goals by being miles offside in the first phase of play only to be onside with a square ball and being 5 yards ahead of defenders.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen another striker do it.

Craftsman
    Just announced on talksport, £130 million signing on fee and £30 million a season.

Yes as a huge Hatters fan I agree, loads of positives from our performances against top 6 teams but whilst it is great to watch we haven’t converted these solid performances into points.

Then bizarrely we have played terribly against Burnley and Sheffield United which is where we really need to score the points!

At least the media are not being quite so condescending about Luton these days. It was great to see the TV cameras focusing on Luton legend Mick Harford the other day while he was giving out mints to the lucky young chap sat next to him!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

After watching Luton v Man United and being a Man United fan...
    a) I was not at all confident going into the match
    b) we were very lucky to come away with the three points - you were the better team for the last 80 minutes but not translating it into points. (I realise my sympathy will mean nothing if you go down)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Just announced on talksport, £130 million signing on fee and £30 million a season.
    The greed in modern football is getting out of hand, all it does is force the fans to pay huge season ticket prices and very high sky sports prices.

The greed in modern football is getting out of hand, all it does is force the fans to pay huge season ticket prices and very high sky sports prices.
    Indeed, even with increasing EPL TV deal, chumps league moneys, lots of new direct commercial deals and weekly new Adidas Arsenal stuff, my Arsenal ticket will go up another 6% next season; so that 11% increase in 2 seasons with 3 fewer cup matches... I know they prefer the tourists with one off visits and buying the club shop

Jota out for 'months' apparently. Massive shame for the lad, he's not been lucky with injuries.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jota out for 'months' apparently. Massive shame for the lad, he's not been lucky with injuries.
    He will be sorely missed, great player who is quite underrated imho.

Squad depth looks iffy now to say the least.

Master
    One for you Ryan, Van Dijk and Saliba’s stats this season.

Check out the details of Messi’s contract if you want to feel really sick

https://www.fastcompany.com/91030230...miami-contract

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    Yes as a huge Hatters fan I agree, loads of positives from our performances against top 6 teams but whilst it is great to watch we haven’t converted these solid performances into points.

Then bizarrely we have played terribly against Burnley and Sheffield United which is where we really need to score the points!

At least the media are not being quite so condescending about Luton these days. It was great to see the TV cameras focusing on Luton legend Mick Harford the other day while he was giving out mints to the lucky young chap sat next to him!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sheffield to be fair was the first team to seem to tactically change their game plan coming to Lutonand took it serious enough to turn up and fight and it showed on the day they deserved the win and we now need a
    crucial point against Liverpool to keep up in the fight stay up

And Saliba is 10 years younger! I know who I would rather have for the next 5-10 seasons.

Master
    And Saliba is 10 years younger! I know who I would rather have for the next 5-10 seasons.

Konate ?

Craftsman

These stats say nothing other than that van Dijk has had a ton more defending to do! Which is true. Arsenal are a much better defensive side than Liverpool.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

What about the 'goals conceded' stats. Surely that's what matters the most as if you have a better midfield (like Arsenal do with Rice) protecting the defenders then they don't need to make so many headers.

And as for 'long passes', unlike Liverpool Arsenal aren't a long ball team. Arsenal play it short to the midfielders or the inverted full backs.

So goals conceded is the most important.

Here are some more 'stats'. Based on Ivan's logic then Joachim Andersen must be a better defender than Virgil Van Dijk.

Master
    What about the 'goals conceded' stats. Surely that's what matters the most as if you have a better midfield (like Arsenal do with Rice) protecting the defenders then they don't need to make so many headers.

And as for 'long passes', unlike Liverpool Arsenal aren't a long ball team. Arsenal play it short to the midfielders or the inverted full backs.

So goals conceded is the most important.
    Hang on so individual defending stats aren’t applicable because Arsenal have a better midfield ( Rice ).

But goals conceded is the most important stat even though Arsenal have a better midfield ( Rice ) to protect the defenders ?

Can’t we have some consistency in your posts please Ryan.

Hang on so individual defending stats aren’t applicable because Arsenal have a better midfield ( Rice ).

But goals conceded is the most important stat even though Arsenal have a better midfield ( Rice ) to protect the defenders ?

Can’t we have some consistency in your posts please Ryan.

OK I'll try and make this very simple.

Why do football teams have defenders in their team? What do they try to stop happening?

A defensive unit also includes the midfield. The fact that Saliba doesn't need to win as many aerial battles is because he doesn't have to. Just like I'd imagine a lot of the Everton defenders have 'better' stats than Saliba.

The one that really matters is the goals against.

Just like at the other end of the pitch Haaland doesn't make as many tackles as Maupay. But there's one stat Haaland has that defines him as a far better striker than Maupay.....

Master
    Again Ryan can we have some consistency please.

Only goals conceded matter to centre half stats. Which means there can only be 1,2 or 3 good centre halves at the end of each season as they would have conceded the least amount of goals.

By your metrics Saliba is only a good centre half if Arsenal conceded the least goals at the end of the season.

We will revisit at the end of the season and see if you move your goal posts again.

He is already at a big club!

Good win for Man City vs Stokeford this evening. Not being great but still winning. 3 points is all that matters.