closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 39 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 5518

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    Pet hate of mine although there was minor contact.
    All clubs have them though. Here at Brighton we have a chap called Mitoma who can go down easily under a challenge. James Milner gave him a right earful. Later he went through half the Wolves team, fouled two or three times, kept on his feet and scored a wonder goal.
    Watching Grealish at Aston Villa was always embarrassing, thankfully Pep was cut all that out of his play.
    Although the biggest cheat I’ve seen play on a regular basis was Harry Kane, forever backing in and falling over like a ragdoll. Hopefully Bayern can cure his balance problems.
    Rashford was talking about it a few years ago saying Mourinho would berate him for not playing for a foul and drummed it into him that if opponents were doing it he should too. He seems to be a bit more steady these days but he's still got some of the 'dark arts' about him.

Master
    Money doesn't always guarantee trophies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66726456

Master
    Hi everyone, is there anyone here with One Hotspur membership that could check if there are any tickets for the home game with Liverpool available on the ticket exchange?
    I have a friend visiting from overseas and they would like to go to the game if possible but they would like to know if there are any tickets before taking out a membership.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post

Is this even news? anyone who knows anything about the club knows just how poorly its been run for a continued period of time - non football people running the club and no investment (of there own money from the owners) and its hardly a surprise - reminds me very much of Leeds under O leary at the time when they were giving out monster contracts ala Seth Johnson

United have always over paid and have always sold at a loss even when Gill and SAF was there - the difference is now players are on monster contracts and not good enough that they cant shift them - I imagine Chelsea could go down a similar route if the youth strategy doesnt work for the players brought in on 7/8 year contracts

Dont get me started on the leaky ground and the money taken out the club as dividends over the years - But alas its the managers fault
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 6th September 2023 at 16:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Is this even news? anyone who knows anything about the club knows just how poorly its been run for a continued period of time - non football people running the club and no investment (of there own money from the owners) and its hardly a surprise - reminds me very much of Leeds under O leary at the time when they were giving out monster contracts ala Seth Johnson

United have always over paid and have always sold at a loss even when Gill and SAF was there - the difference is now players are on monster contracts and not good enough that they cant shift them - I imagine Chelsea could foul of similar if the youth strategy doesnt work for the players brought in on 7/8 year contracts
    Totally agree, I guess point I was making was that just because a club has an endless supply of money to invest into the club, a hell of a lot more needs to present to translate that into success on the pitch.

Despite Man City being our biggest rival in recent times, credit to them for having their structure sound from top to bottom. Their success is down to more than just their financial muscle.

Master
    Totally agree, I guess point I was making was that just because a club has an endless supply of money to invest into the club, a hell of a lot more needs to present to translate that into success on the pitch.

Despite Man City being our biggest rival in recent times, credit to them for having their structure sound from top to bottom. Their success is down to more than just their financial muscle.
    Man City have never been our biggest rivals that will always be Liverpool

I do agree totally regards City and its something Ive spoke about often on here about how well the club is run, Brighton and Brentford are also great examples with a very similar ethos - if the club isnt run right top to bottom then you are in big big trouble

Uniteds policy in previous years of signing superstar names and thus putting shirt sales and sponsorship ahead of on field performance is a recipe for disaster - Ed Woodwood the 1 culprit now replaced by another yes man in Richard Arnold

Cant grumble too much, no-one has any given right to be at the top and Im fortunate enough tyo of been there during the Fergie era so I appreciate we are where we are because we deserve to be

United have always over paid and have always sold at a loss even when Gill and SAF was there - the difference is now players are on monster contracts and not good enough that they cant shift them - I imagine Chelsea could go down a similar route if the youth strategy doesnt work for the players brought in on 7/8 year contracts

Dont get me started on the leaky ground and the money taken out the club as dividends over the years - But alas its the managers fault
    You have to admit that it’s pretty funny when you consider United’s back four last weekend

Master
    Totally and yet it took injury time for arsenal to win!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

The implied stock market valuation of Manchester United is down to c£2.5bn. The Glazers reportedly want £10bn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66725924

A laughable put down that's about 10 years out of date. As I breezed my way to the train along Wembley Way in June I know that those sorry faces in bucket hats would have much rather have lost to your 'biggest rivals' than City.

I don't see many reds in Manchester thanking god it wasn't Liverpool that won the teble either. And they called us bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    A laughable put down that's about 10 years out of date. As I breezed my way to the train along Wembley Way in June I know that those sorry faces in bucket hats would have much rather have lost to your 'biggest rivals' than City.

I don't see many reds in Manchester thanking god it wasn't Liverpool that won the teble either. And they called us bitter.
    Depends what you mean by 'rivals' - City are quite clearly top of the tree right now but I don't 'hate' them like I hate liverpool and leeds (how's that for a rivalry that's 40 years old?).
    For the record, I wasn't keen on City winning the treble but it was better than seeing the scousers winning either a 20th league title or another Euro.

Master

Premier League 2023-24

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post

Wasnt a put down at all and if it came across like that I apologise I was stating facts incidentally your comment does come across as bitter lol -

Liverpool will always be our biggest rivals and Im sure thats the case for any Man utd fan of my generation- comments below are spot on

For clarity on that and to prove Im not on a wind up - if you were to define the true meaning of rival - it is competing with others for the same thing or in the same area: - Were not even competing at present
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 7th September 2023 at 11:16.

Wasnt a put down at all and if it came across like that I apologise I was stating facts incidentally your comment does come across as bitter lol -

Liverpool will always be our biggest rivals and Im sure thats the case for any Man utd fan of my generation- comments below are spot on
    Oh come on Rob , please let us be your biggest rivals . It’s the final piece of the jigsaw to be super massive .
    Only when fans of other teams sre gnashing their teeth when City’s name pops up in the media will we have finally made it .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Oh come on Rob , please let us be your biggest rivals . It’s the final piece of the jigsaw to be super massive .
    Only when fans of other teams sre gnashing their teeth when City’s name pops up in the media will we have finally made it .
    ha ha ha thats the spirit pal - only when you are public enemy 1 have you truly made it

As a united fan, Liverpool will always be our main rival, last year's treble hurt, but the previous year quadruple attempt would of hurt more.

As much as I hate to say it Liverpool have been better run than both Manchester clubs in recent years

City are a cheat code ( 116 reasons), pep is lauded as a great coach and he clearly is good but he has the gift of fixing his mistakes every 12 months, he doesnt have to make things work, just buy a new one, left back rubbish, get a new one. He doesn't have to even look at the youth team. The club is completely set up for him to succeed.

Is it next year that haalands buyout clause kicks in? Let's just say haaland didn't agree to a buyout clause to stay .....

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Interesting that the latest clubs to fall foul of FFP are Manchester United and Chelsea. Then again you can be forgiven for not noticing. It went through from the the top to the bottom of all the news feeds and out the other end faster than a prawn vindaloo. I was waiting for a 15 minute Dan Roan cheating special on the 6 o'clock news but it never happened.

Real Madrid haven't spent much, less than Palace, Bournemouth and Everton!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    As a united fan, Liverpool will always be our main rival, last year's treble hurt, but the previous year quadruple attempt would of hurt more.

As much as I hate to say it Liverpool have been better run than both Manchester clubs in recent years

City are a cheat code ( 116 reasons), pep is lauded as a great coach and he clearly is good but he has the gift of fixing his mistakes every 12 months, he doesnt have to make things work, just buy a new one, left back rubbish, get a new one. He doesn't have to even look at the youth team. The club is completely set up for him to succeed.

Is it next year that haalands buyout clause kicks in? Let's just say haaland didn't agree to a buyout clause to stay .....

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Hilarious .
    From first line to last , thanks for confirming my generic thoughts on United fans knowing absolutely balls all about the game .

I find the whole Man City rival thing a bit weird. Hardly any Arsenal fans I know view City as a rival in a negative way - we kind of admire them but also I'm a member of a Man City forum and post on there a fair bit openly as an Arsenal fan (as it is by far the best football forum) and many of them seem rabidly of the opinion that Arsenal are obsessed with City, Arsenal's executive team have tried to run City into the ground over FFP, our fans sing anti City songs and everything we do is centred around trying to bring City down. They even refer to the Arsenal fans as the 'Tarquins', as if Gooners are all wealthy, prawn sandwich quaffing City boys.

Erm, nope. Stop sniffing glue boys. We think City are an excellent team and a very well run club. We admire them a lot, their fans are always impeccably well behaved down here and they suffered long enough through dark days to be where they are today. Our rivalry locally is with Spurs. I guess if there was a non-London club Arsenal truly disliked it would be Liverpool (and it appears that is the club City fans dislike the most too)
    Last edited by ryanb741; 7th September 2023 at 19:53.

Master
    I’ve met a few Chelsea fans and they’ve told me their biggest rivals were Liverpool. I was absolutely baffled by it.

Liverpools biggest rival is United then Everton.

United a biggest rival is Liverpool from every Ynited fan I’ve talked with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I’ve met a few Chelsea fans and they’ve told me their biggest rivals were Liverpool. I was absolutely baffled by it.

See
    City don’t have rivals because they don’t have anyone to create a false environment.

Oi Newcastle you horse punching oil backed money grabbers .
    Fancy a rivalry ? Eh ? Remember Denis’s overhead kick in 76 ? Or the FA Cup in 1955 ? Which you won, but that doesn’t count , you massive halfwits .

Oi who you calling horse punchers? That was one idiot and one horse and the horse threw the first punch I believe. Hardly representative of a fan base.

Don’t we already have a rivalry? Oil Classico?

Would you be referring to Mr Tuart’s 1976 overhead kick? Dennis went to school with my Dad and they played for Newcastle City Boys together.

See
    City don’t have rivals because they don’t have anyone to create a false environment.

Fancy a rivalry ? Eh ? Remember Denis’s overhead kick in 76 ? Or the FA Cup in 1955 ? Which you won, but that doesn’t count , you massive halfwits .

I thought the Newcastle rivalry was with Sunderland, on the odd occasion when they climb out of Div 1 and you are relegated and you meet in the Championship…

Master
    See

Who would you say is your biggest rival ?

Blog Entries
    Whoever comes 2nd

z

Master
    Blog Entries

Renewable energy.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 8th September 2023 at 08:51.

I do agree totally regards City and its something Ive spoke about often on here about how well the club is run, Brighton and Brentford are also great examples with a very similar ethos - if the club isnt run right top to bottom then you are in big big trouble

Uniteds policy in previous years of signing superstar names and thus putting shirt sales and sponsorship ahead of on field performance is a recipe for disaster - Ed Woodwood the 1 culprit now replaced by another yes man in Richard Arnold

Cant grumble too much, no-one has any given right to be at the top and Im fortunate enough tyo of been there during the Fergie era so I appreciate we are where we are because we deserve to be
    It is just a time thing, Liverpool and United have been huge rivals for many decades, City are new to the mix once they got the oil money, 15+ years ago no one cared about City, the next generation of supporters will have a mind set change and could change who is deemed their biggest rivals.

I wonder when someone is going to mention Winston Bogarde to the fat controller at Chelsea?

No one else find it weird that an arsenal/Southampton fan reads and takes part in a Man city supporter forum....

No one else find it weird that an arsenal/Southampton fan reads and takes part in a Man city supporter forum....

Comical really.

I can't see the point of all of this rivalry stuff. I have no interest in what any other club are doing are apart from my own.

I follow West Ham on our fan site KUMB (knees up mother Brown) and that's it.

Obviously our greatest rivalry and scene of many a war in the old days was Millwall but as we rarely cross paths anymore....
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Because it is a far better forum than the Arsenal forum and I'm open about being an Arsenal fan and that is fine with their members. Which speaks well of them don't you think?

Master

Baffled? Me too

Spurs are our biggest rivals in many ways. Determined in my family by the 1967 cup final. My Dad and Uncle both went, but my Uncle for some bizarre reason was a Spurs fan, still is.

I can only guess that the Liverpool statement comes from the mid 2000’s. Stevie G, ghost goals, UCL Semi Finals etc

Honestly not sure mate. If you go on forums it’s generally United or your good selves .
    Maybe it’s just my perspective but I can’t be doing with the false narrative of a rivalry set up by others to generate animosity and/or to sell papers/ airtime etc .
    Ask yourself this Ivan . Where did the United v Liverpool rivalry stem from ?
    The Liverpool / Manchester thing predates all of this by a good long way . Sorry for the Ship Canal btw .
    From memory, there was no rivalry before the 77 Cup Final . You were rubbish when they were good and vice versa. In the 50s, 60s and 70s you barely crossed swords.
    Robert75 says he’s no interest in a media driven rivalry but classes United as rivals because of a media driven rivalry.

Blog Entries
    Honestly not sure mate. If you go on forums it’s generally United or your good selves .
    Maybe it’s just my perspective but I can’t be doing with the false narrative of a rivalry set up by others to generate animosity and/or to sell papers/ airtime etc .
    The Liverpool / Manchester thing predates all of this by a good long way . Sorry for the Ship Canal btw .
    From memory, there was no rivalry before the 77 Cup Final . You were rubbish when they were good and vice versa. In the 50s, 60s and 70s you barely crossed swords.
    Robert75 says he’s no interest in a media driven rivalry but classes United as rivals because of a media driven rivalry.
    Quite. Hence my (Tongue in cheek) comment about - whoever is closest that season.

One year it’s Man U, another it’s Liverpool, another it’s Arsenal. All media driven.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 8th September 2023 at 19:25. Reason: Typo

Master
    I certainly remember a big Man Utd v Liverpool rivalry in the 70s

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Because it is a far better forum than the Arsenal forum and I'm open about being an Arsenal fan and that is fine with their members. Which speaks well of them don't you think?
    No Ryan it’s just weird you post on a different teams forum.

No Ryan it’s just weird you post on a different teams forum.

I think it is nice to see what other fans think and get their perspective.

Forum is bluemoon btw. Honestly it is great!

I’ve never got hung up about all that rivalry stuff and I will always want a British team to win if in a European match, I just enjoy football full stop. Watching Scotland as I type, currently 3-0 up and great to see.

I used to work with Liverpool supporters and if they had a choice, win the league or see Everton relegated and you can only have one, many would pick Everton being relegated. I could never understand the logic that you would pass on honours for your own club in order to inflict shit on another club, but some people actually think like that.

I still believe Leicester winning the PL was the best thing to happen in football in the last 25 years, the little guys did well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Intense rivalry in the 70's

It's all been said in a roundabout way. Maybe my view is old fashioned but for me if a large City has 2 teams then your rivals are a few bus stops away regardless of form or even if they are in the same division. When City went on a tour of the lower leagues, fans waited to 'resume' the rivalry IMO, and not just City fans. In my mind Everton are Liverpool's rivals. When form and trophies get involved it can get a bit fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If there was, it definitely cooled in 74/75.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess there are different reasons to have a rivalry or dislike a club (or like them). For example, while many fanbases might dislike Spurs, Liverpool etc for various reasons, very few would absolutely despise a club like Arsenal and I guess that's because in many ways Arsenal are a 'Rolls Royce' type club (if than makes sense), very traditional, formal and I guess a bit 'classier' than many other clubs.

It would be a bit like hating the Royal Family - yes you may not agree with it but also below the surface many people have respect and admiration for it and I guess that's what a lot of fans would have for a club like Arsenal - sure you of course want to beat them but also there's that subconscious element of wishing your own club would act as classily and respect/honour their heritage as elegantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I guess there are different reasons to have a rivalry or dislike a club (or like them). For example, while many fanbases might dislike Spurs, Liverpool etc for various reasons, very few would absolutely despise a club like Arsenal and I guess that's because in many ways Arsenal are a 'Rolls Royce' type club (if than makes sense), very traditional, formal and I guess a bit 'classier' than many other clubs.

It would be a bit like hating the Royal Family - yes you may not agree with it but also below the surface many people have respect and admiration for it and I guess that's what a lot of fans would have for a club like Arsenal - sure you of course want to beat them but also there's that subconscious element of wishing your own club would act as classily and respect/honour their heritage as elegantly.
    Indeed, rivalry doesn't mean hate or it shouldn't at least. It often comes with respect and admiration. Football is a strange platform for it, it often brings the worst out in people.

It all seems a bit more sporting in Cricket and Rugby.

You are surely just trying to wind folk up Ryan. Absolute load of pish from a Woolwich wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    You are surely just trying to wind folk up Ryan. Absolute load of pish from a Woolwich wanderer
    Actually, he has a point with regard to the way Arsenal are run as a club. Compared to the constant controversies regarding our lot they're a model of decorum and professionalism.

In terms of rivalry I also dislike Chelsea and West Ham a whole lot more these days. I'm not quite sure why or when that change occurred - it's very strange (perhaps it's down to their hostility towards us, though).

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Intense rivalry in the 70's
    Take it from me. The big rivalry in the late 60s and 70s was City / Utd. My first ever game was watching City beat Newcastle away to win then league in 1968 with my dad. If we had lost Utd would have won. Some of those games and the trouble at them was frightening. I have no clue as to why people think there was rivalry between Utd and Liverpool then. I think some people need to take a longer view of the history of some clubs. They may be a little surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Oh , I don’t know. I think Ryan makes a good point.
    Who doesn’t go misty eyed when thinking of superstars like Steve Morrow and Perry Groves? Who still isn’t crapping themselves when Arsenals line up included John Jensen ? Yaya Sonogo and Sebastián Squilacchi still give me a semi .

Even off the pitch, they are run so so well . Being involved in the planning of the European Super League wasn’t Arsenals fault at all . It was nasty Man United and Liverpool.
    A true “Rolls Royce “ of a club .

Oh , I don’t know. I think Ryan makes a good point.
    Who doesn’t go misty eyed when thinking of superstars like Steve Morrow and Perry Groves? Who still isn’t crapping themselves when Arsenals line up included John Jensen ? Yaya Sonogo and Sebastián Squilacchi still give me a semi .

Even off the pitch, they are run so so well . Being involved in the planning of the European Super League wasn’t Arsenals fault at all . It was nasty Man United and Liverpool.
    A true “Rolls Royce “ of a club .
    Pretty sure Man City were also involved in the planning of the Super League!!!

Anyway Super League is basically what the CL will be next season