closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Octopus Agile users

I looked at adding a myenergi Eddi (similar to iboost) to our system but decided against the additional cost.

It made more sense to me to send excess solar back to the grid during the day and buy it back overnight when cheaper.
    Last edited by gunner; 20th November 2023 at 14:37.

For the first time since I've been on agile it may be worth swapping for the duration to tracker. Just ran the Octopus compare app and tracker would have been about £15 cheaper for last month. Worth a look if anything

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    For the first time since I've been on agile it may be worth swapping for the duration to tracker. Just ran the Octopus compare app and tracker would have been about £15 cheaper for last month. Worth a look if anything
    It’s certainly keep up last few days. Think we will hold firm for now.
    Tracker is another option but overnight charge etc has saved us £100s so will continue to keep an eye and hopefully lower rates to return.

Last night first time having to charge at around 20p. Which vs standard variable is still great but obviously not vs what have been used to!

Yep, 20p felt painful last night until I remembered the standard rate was still at least 50% higher...

Craftsman
    What is the max agile can peak at? Is it the same as the tracker?

Was thinking about the tracker or agile but only have 5kw of battery would think I need to add another 5 to do agile on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The trackers 20.48 today for me

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    What is the max agile can peak at? Is it the same as the tracker?

Was thinking about the tracker or agile but only have 5kw of battery would think I need to add another 5 to do agile on the cheap.

Read at the weekend it’s capped to £1 per kWh same as Agile

Craftsman
    Yeah I read that on the website was not sure if it was old and still capped at the price cap or not thanks

I'm on Flux, which seems to be working well for me at the moment, only been on it since September. 10kWh battery but no EV.

Charge between 02:00 and 05:00 at 16.955p / kWh and export during the day at 17.95p

Looked at Octopus Agile but it doesn’t make much sense if you have Solar and Tesla Powerwall. The way they notify you of charging bands is clunky and does not allow you to automate the process. It would be better if they had an API that linked into things like the Tesla Home Gateway. I am on Octopus Intelligent which works well with the Tesla Home Gateway and the 2Tesla Powerwalls I have. Since switching to Intelligent all my electric charges have been at 7.5p per kWh as the Tesla Powerwalls have enough power (27kwh) to run the house for the whole day. My electric bill has dropped by 75%. The Powerwalls are recharged overnight during the 23.30-05.30 off peak rate. The EV also recharges at this time too if required.
    I also recently just got my Export MpAN through and am now being paid 15p per kWh exported. The Tesla Home Gateway is quite smart in that it recognises how much power you regularly use. Looks at projected solar for the day ahead and will export power to get the 15p/kwh. I am still experimenting with the settings but it looks like I can export enough to offset the usage at off peak to essentially mean I just pay the daily standing charge. In the months when solar is much more productive (April-October) I calculate that I will be being paid by Octopus.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Looked at Octopus Agile but it doesn’t make much sense if you have Solar and Tesla Powerwall. The way they notify you of charging bands is clunky and does not allow you to automate the process. It would be better if they had an API that linked into things like the Tesla Home Gateway. I am on Octopus Intelligent which works well with the Tesla Home Gateway and the 2Tesla Powerwalls I have. Since switching to Intelligent all my electric charges have been at 7.5p per kWh as the Tesla Powerwalls have enough power (27kwh) to run the house for the whole day. My electric bill has dropped by 75%. The Powerwalls are recharged overnight during the 23.30-05.30 off peak rate. The EV also recharges at this time too if required.
    I also recently just got my Export MpAN through and am now being paid 15p per kWh exported. The Tesla Home Gateway is quite smart in that it recognises how much power you regularly use. Looks at projected solar for the day ahead and will export power to get the 15p/kwh. I am still experimenting with the settings but it looks like I can export enough to offset the usage at off peak to essentially mean I just pay the daily standing charge. In the months when solar is much more productive (April-October) I calculate that I will be being paid by Octopus.
    I have a similar setup (only one powerwall) and agree that Agile is a bit clunky. My November bill averaged 12.2p so it worked OK financially but did require me to manage it quite carefully.

Now they've added myenergi to the compatible chargers I've switched to Intelligent Go, as much for the reduced admin as any financial benefit.
    Last edited by gunner; 7th December 2023 at 10:46.

Virtually free and in to the negative all day tomorrow apart from the normal peak spike, lets hope Monday will be the same to cook the turkey.

Master
    Maybe everyone knows but via the app under the octopoints tab you can get a free hot drink at Greg’s every week

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Maybe everyone knows but via the app under the octopoints tab you can get a free hot drink at Greg’s every week
    I did not, and thanks

edit…..cant find on app, where about is it?

Master
    It’s on the octoplus tab - I had to manually update my app to see it

It’s on the octopoints tab - I had to update my app to see it
    thanks…il take a look

It’s on the octoplus tab - I had to manually update my app to see it

Updated the app, logged out and in but still no points tab?

I dont have octoplus thats why…will look in to it, whats the difference?

Master
    This might help
    Sometimes free electricity and saving sessions
    https://octopus.energy/octoplus/

Master
    I dont have octoplus thats why…will look in to it, whats the difference?
    It’s essentially their points system.
    Allows you to opt in to savings sessions. Which confused me quite a bit at first. I opted in for the sake of it. Don’t think I will see many savings and don’t usually opt in for the savings session. When you opt in if you are able to power off and use less electric than usual they will give you some points which means money off I think.

I have noticed the Greggs drink offer. Who is going to go in for a free drink and not buy a sausage roll? Not me.

Craftsman
    There is not much to be had from saving sessions unless you have batteries.

I get around £5 per saving session but that’s about it. Some people seem to do very well if they have a g99 or perhaps 3 phase to their property at a guess

Cheers all, I've found it now. I don't pay by DD but pay once the bill comes in. I set up a DD and the app gave me the option to opt in and the tab became available. 500 points for opting in, a few ad hoc points and i must have opted in to a saving session last year before this octoplus came out.
    82p to redeem and a free coffee….boom!

Craftsman
    That’s good for about half a sausage roll. A saving session just finished there at 7 could have earned the other half.

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    That’s good for about half a sausage roll. A saving session just finished there at 7 could have earned the other half.

So how does it work? If you used nothing or considerably less than a usual evening?

Master
    So how does it work? If you used nothing or considerably less than a usual evening?
    You get so many points for x amount of savings below your usual use
    I use FA so save really nothing

You get so many points for x amount of savings below your usual use
    I use FA so save really nothing
    Got it, doubt I’ll save much either in that case but its better than a poke in the eye, plus free coffee.

Craftsman
    This past event you got 1.75£ per Kw you used less than your usual.

I had a base load of around 350w on average for a Thursday between 6-7pm ( I think that it seems to be day and time specific)

So if I just switched my consumer unit off I’d get 0.35*£1.75 so around 60p.

I charged my solar batteries an hour and a half before. I am on tracker so that was charged at around 20p per Kw today.

Then between 6-7 I exported it to the grid. I exported around 2.2KW in the hour.

So I will get paid (2.2+0.35)*£1.75 so about £4.25-50p it cost to charge so £3.75 profit for the day.

At least I think that’s close that below is the last one I did with official results

Master
    Got it, doubt I’ll save much either in that case but its better than a poke in the eye, plus free coffee.
    And the free electric when they do power ups

Craftsman
    Some people do very well off it on some Facebook groups I’ve seen many users post decent savings over the 8 or 9 there has been

Master
    Could this be of interest - I’m on octopus but no EV
    https://octopus.energy/power-pack/

Get free EV charging with our groundbreaking vehicle-to-grid (V2G) tariff

Add Octopus Power Pack to your regular tariff. We’ll set up your V2G charger to automatically manage your charging and discharging in the greenest way possible, so you can fill up for free.

A typical V2G driver could save £880 per year compared to Flexible Octopus, and £180 compared to Intelligent Octopus Go.

Power Pack represents the latest stage in our V2G rollout, following our wildly successful Powerloop V2G trial. It's currently a beta tariff

Craftsman
    I think octopus have some innovative tariffs.

Good to see early adopters of green cars getting something before the tax man gets hold of the data.

Master
    Could this be of interest - I’m on octopus but no EV
    https://octopus.energy/power-pack/

Get free EV charging with our groundbreaking vehicle-to-grid (V2G) tariff

Add Octopus Power Pack to your regular tariff. We’ll set up your V2G charger to automatically manage your charging and discharging in the greenest way possible, so you can fill up for free.

A typical V2G driver could save £880 per year compared to Flexible Octopus, and £180 compared to Intelligent Octopus Go.

Power Pack represents the latest stage in our V2G rollout, following our wildly successful Powerloop V2G trial. It's currently a beta tariff
    Had a look earlier but from what I understand need a special charger. Also not compatible with agile or tracker.

Great to see continued innovation though.

Craftsman
    The ev tariffs all seem to need a particular charger.

The tariff seems to be to help the grid at peak times as the grid have no storage but as the fleet of ev batteries grows they are looking to make use of it and have your car ready for a particular time you set.

This is all well and good till a 2 am hospital run is required and the battery is at a lower state of charge than it would be otherwise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Had a look earlier but from what I understand need a special charger. Also not compatible with agile or tracker.

Great to see continued innovation though.
    I don’t think it’s new - the car needs to have a chademo plug, do any new cars even come with those now?

Craftsman

Octopus Agile users

No only a few older ones and they are about 5 or 6k i think for the charger.

Quite old but I think they are in/out chargers so ideal for this type of thing.

I would imagine when the mainstream start making them they will suit new cars.

May just be a proof of concept type of announcement

Master
    Just to add now you can get a sausage roll too

Octopus Agile users

Just to add now you can get a sausage roll too
    Deal breaker for me

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I have a similar setup (only one powerwall) and agree that Agile is a bit clunky. My November bill averaged 12.2p so it worked OK financially but did require me to manage it quite carefully.

Now they've added myenergi to the compatible chargers I've switched to Intelligent Go, as much for the reduced admin as any financial benefit.
    Quick update on the move from Agile to Intelligent Go. Last month my average cost was 8.8p per kWh, largely thanks to overnight charging of the powerwall. Still selling excess back to the grid at 15p per kWh too.
    Last edited by gunner; 26th March 2024 at 17:13.

Craftsman
    Just switched from IO to Agile (no solar or battery), some cheap AM charging tomorrow and in the afternoon

Wait until they pay you to take it!

Craftsman
    Wait until they pay you to take it!

That’s crazy!

I know what time that I’ll be charging my car tomorrow

Great day for Agile tomorrow.

Possibly the best day that I’ve seen.
    Saved a fortune since switching to Agile

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Possibly the best day that I’ve seen.
    Saved a fortune since switching to Agile
    It can have its ups and downs but for the last few months its been the cheapest option, well according to the comparison app anyway

Master
    Great day for Agile tomorrow.
    Isn’t it a bit odd that the last couple of days the daytime has been even cheaper than the night!?

Did a car top up earlier today when there were a few hours of virtually free / negative rates .

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Isn’t it a bit odd that the last couple of days the daytime has been even cheaper than the night!?
    Still the Easter school holidays and daytime electricity demand will be low, when compared with normal.