closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octopus Agile users

Octopus Agile / smart tariff users

Virtually free electricity tomorrow for quite a few hrs…great time to charge the car, batteries etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 10th December 2023 at 20:10.

They’re paying us to use it tomorrow
    Not quite sure how it works but hey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you work out if this makes sense for you overall? I have Octopus but like the cheap rate at night as I can charge my battery with it...

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    How do you work out if this makes sense for you overall? I have Octopus but like the cheap rate at night as I can charge my battery with it...

Because I was paying their basic tacit before which was 33.50 pence per KWh
    They release the following days half hourly prices at 4pm so you can what they are
    As of yet the price hasn’t been over 33.50 at any part day and night and in general if you average the whole day it’s sits at somewhere better 18p-22p per kWh

Master
    They have allowed me to sign up, but did not do it.
    I think rates vary across regions?

I may give it a go, based on the rates I see on yours FFF.
    We are high energy users during the day - charge the car once a week - so the maths didn't add up for the EV night tariff.

But if the day rates are as you show, this could be the way to go. May take a risk!

Edit: Just made the swtich and they say it is live today.
    How will they notify me of tomorrow's rates? By email or some other thing I need to login to, in order to check? Would be interesting to compare to yours FFF, to see if we are getting the same or different. I assume they will not be the same.
    Last edited by Boss13; 3rd July 2023 at 10:07.

If you're already with octopus i think you could use guy lipman's site to rerun your existing bill with alternative to tariffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    If you're already with octopus i think you could use guy lipman's site to rerun your existing bill with alternative to tariffs.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    They have allowed me to sign up, but did not do it.
    I think rates vary across regions?

I may give it a go, based on the rates I see on yours FFF.
    We are high energy users during the day - charge the car once a week - so the maths didn't add up for the EV night tariff.

But if the day rates are as you show, this could be the way to go. May take a risk!

Edit: Just made the swtich and they say it is live today.
    How will they notify me of tomorrow's rates? By email or some other thing I need to login to, in order to check? Would be interesting to compare to yours FFF, to see if we are getting the same or different. I assume they will not be the same.
    Agile I believe is the same across the whole regions, don’t think it’s like Flux or flexible where they do differ

The app is the best place….
    Download and click usage
    Then at the bottom here….

Then it shows you todays 1/2 hourly prices
    Tomorrows come out at 4pm - you’ll see that in the same place as below

I am on Go which seemed a "no brainer" same standing charge (48p) & unit rate (30.6), but 9.5p 00.30-04.30 so handy for topping up the car, run dishwasher, washing machine etc off peak.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Agile I believe is the same across the whole regions, don’t think it’s like Flux or flexible where they do differ

The app is the best place….
    Download and click usage
    Then at the bottom here….

Then it shows you todays 1/2 hourly prices
    Tomorrows come out at 4pm - you’ll see that in the same place as below

Thanks will check that shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I am on Go which seemed a "no brainer" same standing charge (48p) & unit rate (30.6), but 9.5p 00.30-04.30 so handy for topping up the car, run dishwasher, washing machine etc off peak.
    I did ask about GO but for me it was 7.5p 1230-430 but around 42p all other times, which would not have worked.

Thanks will check that shortly.

I did ask about GO but for me it was 7.5p 1230-430 but around 42p all other times, which would not have worked.
    It might be worth checking again as before I had similar, but just swapped the other day as peak rates the same now at the expense of off peak but that makes things easier for me as can just try to take advantage of the night rate when I can.

Last edited by MB2; 3rd July 2023 at 15:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    It might be worth checking again as before I had similar, but just swapped the other day as peak rates the same now at the expense of off peak but that makes things easier for me as can just try to take advantage of the night rate when I can.

I called them on Thursday.

Will give this agile a go and see how it works out for a few weeks.
    No penalty to change out so if it becomes very costly will consider another way.

I called them on Thursday.
    That's dissapointing - I checked & swapped mine on line this month. I had the Smart meter installed ages ago, but never switched as it was too complicated to work out the cost/saving - further complcated by having charging at work.

Next task is to persude the Garo Charger to become Smart - fortunately the car has scheduled charging, but it would be ideal if the charger could switch on/off to schedule.

Master
    Virtually free electricity tomorrow for quite a few hrs…great time to charge the car, batteries etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looks like another plunge pricing day today. I am now live on this plan, haven't seen a first bill yet - but the rates I am seeing on this are favourable vs. standard so far.
    Let's see what happens when the July bill arrives in a couple of weeks.

FFF - thanks for this thread as you nudged me into switching onto this plan.

No worries.
    Ive essentially halved my bill being on agile, you may get times when it goes above the what was price cap of 34p but overall throughout the day its a lot cheaper. Reading on various forums/FB groups etc the negative price drop today was caused by high winds yesterday.
    Nice surprise today though so got the immersion on and car on charge from 9am til 12 for virtually nothing.

Master
    No worries.
    Ive essentially halved my bill being on agile, you may get times when it goes above the what was price cap of 34p but overall throughout the day its a lot cheaper. Reading on various forums/FB groups etc the negative price drop today was caused by high winds yesterday.
    Nice surprise today though so got the immersion on and car on charge from 9am til 12 for virtually nothing.
    We are going out in the car at 10am. Typical!
    But charged overnight and the rates were very good from midinight too.

We have not changed any behaviours at home, only rule now is - no car charging between 4-7pm.
    But generally, we thought to continue using things as we normally would and in theory it should be cheaper anyway.

Quite a few days, I forget to check the rates, so the 4-7pm rule works well as it is guaranteed to be higher during those times due to their formula from what I understand.

We are going out in the car at 10am. Typical!
    But charged overnight and the rates were very good from midinight too.

We have not changed any behaviours at home, only rule now is - no car charging between 4-7pm.
    But generally, we thought to continue using things as we normally would and in theory it should be cheaper anyway.

Quite a few days, I forget to check the rates, so the 4-7pm rule works well as it is guaranteed to be higher during those times due to their formula from what I understand.
    Great day today also, from about 4.30am through to 4pm its in negative figures!

Master
    Great day today also, from about 4.30am through to 4pm its in negative figures!
    Brilliant.

Except my wife decided 430pm would be a good time to put the dishwasher on! Haha!
    Oh well.

Craftsman
    We moved from Octopus SV rate to Agile earlier this week.

We filled our boots with electricity that they paid us to take this weekend - we even used the tumble drier instead of the washing line (in between the frequent rain showers).

I've now set the battery back to what it was on Friday - charging to 75% overnight and just after lunchtime.

The saving , so far, averages about 40 odd % on week days - with this weekend plunge pricing the saving was about 90%.

So far, all upsides!

Is Agile worth doing without watching the rates the whole time? I E. Charging the solar panel battery at night etc.

Craftsman
    Is Agile worth doing without watching the rates the whole time? I E. Charging the solar panel battery at night etc.

Hard to say for sure.

I looked at general charging trends and have set the charge times according to this, plunge pricing aside .

Two attractions for us were FIT integrity and the ability to have more than one cheaper charging period each day

Octopus Agile users

On average across the whole day I’d say it’s about 20p per kWh
    I was paying a flat 34.5p before and so I’ve reduced my bills quite a lot
    Also applied for the export tariff and got back a tenner last month for what I didn’t use
    For us it’s a no brainier, add to that a few weeks back where the tariff was -18p per kWh and most of this Sunday was in negative, you can charge the car up, top the immersion up and stick on all the appliances and shift the load for nothing
    The 1/2 price may go up to around £1 but I’ve looked back in the history files and can’t see it ever happening.
    Even if it does it won’t be forever.
    It’s a gamble but you’re not fixed and can change rather rapidly

Quote Originally Posted by series5 View Post
    Hard to say for sure.

I looked at general charging trends and have set the charge times according to this, plunge pricing aside .

Two attractions for us were FIT integrity and the ability to have more than one cheaper charging period each day
    Thanks. What's FIT integrity?

Craftsman
    Thanks. What's FIT integrity?

We have an existing FIT based upon generation and deemed export. While not as generous here as it was where we lived previously, it's still worth a reasonable amount each year. I don't really plan to export much, if any, power, so generation payment is valuable to me.

Some of the Octopus tariffs require partial surrender of the FIT and, once done, it doesn't appear to be possible to reinstate them. The loss, were I to do so, may or may not be significant, I just don't know at this stage. However, I'd rather try a smart tariff before denting my FIT and see how things go.

For anybody on a more recent SEG or just considering PV/battery the issue that I have doesn't come into play so strongly, if at all.

Master
    We have an existing FIT based upon generation and deemed export. While not as generous here as it was where we lived previously, it's still worth a reasonable amount each year. I don't really plan to export much, if any, power, so generation payment is valuable to me.

Some of the Octopus tariffs require partial surrender of the FIT and, once done, it doesn't appear to be possible to reinstate them. The loss, were I to do so, may or may not be significant, I just don't know at this stage. However, I'd rather try a smart tariff before denting my FIT and see how things go.

For anybody on a more recent SEG or just considering PV/battery the issue that I have doesn't come into play so strongly, if at all.
    Without Googling. Your post makes close to zero sense to me.
    Ignorance is bliss I guess!

Craftsman
    Does anyone here use Octopus Agile with an Ohme EV charger?
    Wondering if it's possible to set up the Ohme to only turn on when the price per kWh is below a certain amount?
    I'm currently using Intelligent Octopus with Ohme setup to only turn on when the cost is 7.5p per kWh or less, and it works great.

Google / Octopus are giving me conflicting information!

Craftsman
    Without Googling. Your post makes close to zero sense to me.
    Ignorance is bliss I guess!
    My post won't be relevant unless you have a PV installation and a feed in tariff which has been running for a good few years already.

My post won't be relevant unless you have a PV installation and a feed in tariff which has been running for a good few years already.
    My PV was installed just outside the FIT time scale so ive essentially missed out on nearly 4 years of export. Bulb my previous supplier couldn't apparently tie my installation cert in with my house…Octopus did its straight away after i swapped over to them and went agile. Last month i got a tenner back which is fine by me as i was getting sweet FA before

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    Does anyone here use Octopus Agile with an Ohme EV charger?
    Wondering if it's possible to set up the Ohme to only turn on when the price per kWh is below a certain amount?
    I'm currently using Intelligent Octopus with Ohme setup to only turn on when the cost is 7.5p per kWh or less, and it works great.

Google / Octopus are giving me conflicting information!
    Cant be certain but i think it was talked about quite a lot on their Facebook page and i remember there was issues. Join the octopus Facebook page…they'll know for sure

Price go up to 45p for an hour this afternoon

Craftsman

Red face

Price go up to 45p for an hour this afternoon

Good reason to have filled the batteries earlier in the day then !

Good reason to have filled the batteries earlier in the day then !
    indeed - shift that load

Master
    Just reporting back having now had our first bill after switching.
    We saved around £200 in the month on electricity. Wasn’t expecting such a big saving. Let’s see if it’s a one off, will keep an eye on it for next couple of months. Maybe the plunge price weekends have helped and I don’t expect those to repeat every month but a very good start anyway.

As mentioned earlier we haven’t really changed any behaviour except not charging the car between 4-7pm.

Taken a few weeks to switch but just transferred over to Agile. Should work well with the solar/powerwall/EV.

Craftsman
    We've been billed for the first 17 days of usage on Agile.

Using the cost we would have otherwise incurred with the SVR and 17 days of pretty poor PV, our total bill has come in at £35.91 with Agile and would have been £73.64 on the SVR.

We have a battery (~15KWh) but no EV or heat pumps.

It would be a bit of a stretch to apply this saving over a whole year as solar will vary seasonally, but even looking pessimistically, Agile could save us quite a bit.

Let's hope Putin has no grandeos plans this winter.

Heads up if you're not aware, 01:30 until 05:00 is virtually free/ very cheap

A few cheap nights this week.

Saved a fortune since changing to this tariff

Definitely filling the car and powerwall tonight...

Sleeping with the lights on...

First one for a while

First one for a while
    A combination of the offshore winds blowing hard coincidental with very mild temperatures.

Lots of supply and not a lot of demand.

48 free kWh for me.

I also have the feed-in fixed at 15p so it makes sense to charge up even if it's going to be a good day for the solar.

I've got dual fuel with Octopus, and my gas consumption is 10x my electricity consumption and with no cheap periods.

So I have replaced the gas hob with induction, which along with a battery is allowing me to use cheap electricity instead of gas for that.

I'm now looking at ways to further decarbonise. The most obvious seems to be using the immersion heater instead of the boiler.

Has anyone else tried this? Currently I'm on cheap overnight rather than the full Agile.

We have immersions which I switched on during the summer (using excess solar) but not as a full time boiler replacement.
    Last edited by gunner; 19th November 2023 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I've got dual fuel with Octopus, and my gas consumption is 10x my electricity consumption and with no cheap periods.

So I have replaced the gas hob with induction, which along with a battery is allowing me to use cheap electricity instead of gas for that.

I'm now looking at ways to further decarbonise. The most obvious seems to be using the immersion heater instead of the boiler.

Has anyone else tried this? Currently I'm on cheap overnight rather than the full Agile.
    You have solar…What about an iboost?

Gas capped price is 6.87p/kWh, and with a boiler typically 90% efficient that’s equivalent to about 7.5p/kWh.

If you can buy overnight electricity for less than 7.5 p/kWh then it is cheaper to heat your water via electricity. Conversion of electricity to heat is 100%.

Definitely more wear and tear on a boiler than an electrical element, so factor that in too.

If your motives are to decarbonise, then you may wish to use the immersion heater above 7.5p/kWh electricity price, as along as your provider guarantees the electricity is from renewable sources and not partially from burning fossil fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Gas capped price is 6.87p/kWh, and with a boiler typically 90% efficient that’s equivalent to about 7.5p/kWh.

If you can buy overnight electricity for less than 7.5 p/kWh then it is cheaper to heat your water via electricity. Conversion of electricity to heat is 100%.

Definitely more wear and tear on a boiler than an electrical element, so factor that in too.

If your motives are to decarbonise, then you may wish to use the immersion heater above 7.5p/kWh electricity price, as along as your provider guarantees the electricity is from renewable sources and not partially from burning fossil fuels.
    Primary motive is to decarbonise, but looking to do it as efficiently as possible from a cost point of view. So heating water at 7.5p/kwh (my current overnight rate) with electricity is cost neutral and therefore a good thing.

You have solar…What about an iboost?
    I don't have solar. I'm currently having a new roof and wanted to go solar but have faced a lot of hurdles. Firstly the roof has 13 faces, each with dual pitch. Plus 2 chimneys on the south facing side. Plus solar installers rammed with demand so not interested in even quoting on a sub optimal setup. But I got a battery which I'm planning to feed from ground based solar in the garden at some point.

I don't have solar. I'm currently having a new roof and wanted to go solar but have faced a lot of hurdles. Firstly the roof has 13 faces, each with dual pitch. Plus 2 chimneys on the south facing side. Plus solar installers rammed with demand so not interested in even quoting on a sub optimal setup. But I got a battery which I'm planning to feed from ground based solar in the garden at some point.
    So if you do an iboost makes a lot of sense, diverts any excess above 100 watts which isn't being used by the house or to charge the batteries straight to your immersion. Ive had one installed now since Feb last year and since then it’s given the immersion 1254 kw of free electricity. Summer months i get about 6kw a day which equates to 2 full hours of power. I dont waste a watt of solar now as if it doesn't get used by the house or the immersion i get the octopus export tariff.