closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cheap homage watches thread under £100 from Ali-Express and the like

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    £45 delivered from Aliexpress. It's an Rdunae RA03, a homage of the Benrus DTU-2A/P. It's an exceedingly close copy of the original in terms of case shape and lug width which I like. Hard to fault it for the money
    These Rdunae watches just don't get the credit they deserve, even in Ali circles they're often overlooked by Baltany and that Militado brand

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

At the risk of peeing on everyone’s chips here, I am wondering how it’s possible to make watches of this apparent quality at these tiny prices?
    Are they coming from less-than ethical places?
    Not judging others, but it would help me decide if I’m interested in this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    At the risk of peeing on everyone’s chips here, I am wondering how it’s possible to make watches of this apparent quality at these tiny prices?
    Are they coming from less-than ethical places?
    Not judging others, but it would help me decide if I’m interested in this sort of thing.

Just a Quick Look online and you can buy an Accurist quartz or Sekonda for £40, Seiko 5 on Amazon for £75

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    At the risk of peeing on everyone’s chips here, I am wondering how it’s possible to make watches of this apparent quality at these tiny prices? Are they coming from less-than ethical places? ...

These - along with the overwhelming majority of consumer goods - are coming from one of the least ethical sources possible - the pseudo-communist dictatorship of China. A nation regularly topping lists of human rights abusers, ethnic-cleansers, polluters, natural resource over-exploiters, cyber-criminals, intellectual property thieves, fake-news disinformation-propagandists . . . and so much else.

We ALL wilfully turn a blind eye to this, because the alternative in 2024 is to live in a cave and fashion stone tools with which to hunt for rats and feral pigeons - so ubiquitous is Chinese manufacturing.

You could opt to buy only - say - Swiss watches, but I'm willing to bet that even the big names are buying part-finished and even ready components from China, and certainly things like boxes, packaging, brochures, booklets, bulk alloys, machined blanks, sapphire crystals and a great deal else...

Ironic, really, that Western consumerist greed has made China a pre-eminent World power...

But yeah, where discretionary luxury purchases are concerned, we should, morally, avoid buying from China.

Master
    Yes I'd imagine it's a hard task to find a watch that has no part of the total package coming from China.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Good points, the three of you.

Master
    £45 delivered from Aliexpress. It's an Rdunae RA03, a homage of the Benrus DTU-2A/P. It's an exceedingly close copy of the original in terms of case shape and lug width which I like. Hard to fault it for the money
    Surely it's a homage of the Hamilton Khaki Field? Or is that based upon the Benrus?

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Surely it's a homage of the Hamilton Khaki Field? Or is that based upon the Benrus?

The design was outlined by the US department of defence for general issued military watches.
    Benrus and Hamilton both produced watches from the 60s to the 90s based on the design
    The modern Khaki and the khakis that went before take their design from these issued watches. The modern ones tend to be a little larger then the issued watches.

Master
    Got'cha.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

As Sinnlover said above various specs for US military watches were issued and both Benrus and Hamilton made similar versions.

I'm not an expert on US military watches, but from reading into the history of them, MIL-W-3818B was the spec issued in 1962 which is what the Benrus DTU-2A/P was made to meet. Other companies (not including Hamilton) also tendered but only the Benrus was considered to meet the spec. MIL-W-46374 was the updated spec issued in 1964, and the A version was released in 1968 with Hamilton producing metal cased versions.

Craftsman
    The 1960's Mil-Spec case size was 34mm which is what Benrus produced after beating Bulova to win the contract in 1962....

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    The 1960's Mil-Spec case size was 34mm which is what Benrus produced after beating Bulova to win the contract in 1962....
    The originals (Hamilton) are small but wear well - with a Tudor sub for scale

You can see the design language in the earlier A17s (Waltham)

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    The Rdunae is 34mm also and has the correct lug width. Here it is next to a 1968 W10

Or a modern 39mm version if the style is more important than historical accuracy

NEW SAN MARTIN EXPLORER 36 First Look & Quick Comparison With SMITHS EVEREST!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FiRlDmy617M

I don't remember seeing this before even tho it is a couple of years old.
    THIN is the new BLACK

This is a little outside the scope of the thread as it was £109 plus postage, but I figure it's ok to squeeze it in seeing as we were just talking about Rdunae. This is the R6. A homage to the Tornek-Rayville TR-900. A sterile dial version existed of this watch but only 5 are known so pretty much impossible to own for anyone without exceedingly deep pockets. Seiko NH35 auto movement and 200m WR. I can see this one hanging around

This is a little outside the scope of the thread as it was £109 plus postage, but I figure it's ok to squeeze it in seeing as we were just talking about Rdunae. This is the R6. A homage to the Tornek-Rayville TR-900. A sterile dial version existed of this watch but only 5 are known so pretty much impossible to own for anyone without exceedingly deep pockets. Seiko NH35 auto movement and 200m WR. I can see this one hanging around
    I have one of these
    It’s not bad for the money, nice bezel action, good lume the only downside is the mineral crystal (domed) and bezel insert.

Journeyman
    Nice. Giving me Unimatic vibes. Just been a full black bezel :)