closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday in Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I find normal working class Russians to be decent people . The ones that can afford foreign holidays tend to be of another ilk entirely . Certain parts of India have a similar problem.
    This is probably what I have experienced TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

You couldnt pay me 8k to go to Egypt again on holiday.
    I've been to Egypt for business, and 100% this. I would not go there on holiday for any reason.

Holiday in Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I hope you like Russians.
    Phuket (Nai Harn) is also currently full of them.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 12th May 2023 at 12:27.

I’d did an Italy tour a couple of years ago and this year I’m going Croatia.
    Got 2 daughters who get bored of the beach and pool scene .
    Far too much in the world to see than just sitting on a beach .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I'm.gwtting the feeling that Egypt might not be the best place to go Might have to rethink this, wanted a decent holiday in the sun in April, like I said we were going to go to Mexico but the seaweed situation has put us off, don't want the Caneries as we've done them to death, might have a look at Dominic or if somebody cab suggested elsewhere?

Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated.
    Go to the Bahamas and use Atlantis. Superb water park there. We stop across the road in Comfort Suites which are perfectly fine for the time you are in the room, You get breakfast and full access to Atlantis included. Went last summer and had a great time -been a number of times over the years. In the late Nineties Nassau was quaintly British even with a M&S. It is a bit too American and Cruise ship oriented now but there's still some interesting things to do to split up the lounging around side.

Master
    Egypt is fine if you want to see the monuments by day and cruise down the nile on a gin palace in the evenings ( you can laugh at the red lobsters sun bathing in the Sahara desert then wondering why they feel sick) but its not a beach holiday , definitely don’t he in holiday tourist mode , be alert and more business like.

I would say you’d have a more relaxing time in Mumba than Egypt and that’s not a recommendation,

Thailand sounds a better bet , its beautiful , lovely warm people . Head to Kanchanaburi and Chang Mai is my recommendation , the food is amazing , you can take boat trips down the river kwai and swim with elephants , beautiful caves and national parks , chiang mai has good night life too

Phuket is a decent gateway to many beautiful island locations if you want some boating ( I got caught in a massive storm in the Phuket sound once , everyone was screaming including the boat crew ( it was a big luxury sunseeker yacht with a film crew and film stars ) , I was hanging off the boat swigging beer and smoking cigars at one point I had to help them retrieve the tender that had come loose , the boat nearly capsized as they turned us back side on to the waves , lifejackets issued and told that if we went in the water not to panic and to stay afloat and we’d probably be found within a couple of days as the water was warm ( didn’t mention the sharks) . When we docked I was the only one smiling , the rest were like the walking dead caked in vomit . It was fantastic !

Vietnam I’ve also heard great things about .

I have never been to Egypt but a work colleague went last year and hated most if it, they both got sick and spent most of the time running to the toilet! It is a never a place I would consider, unless you like diving, as the diving there is meant to be amazing.

Go to Thailand every time.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I’d did an Italy tour a couple of years ago and this year I’m going Croatia.
    Got 2 daughters who get bored of the beach and pool scene .
    Far too much in the world to see than just sitting on a beach .

Good call on Croatia (especially Split if you can get there) is just a fantastic place Mick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Good call on Croatia (especially Split if you can get there) is just a fantastic place Mick.
    We'll be heading for Zadar, Croatia, in June.

Can’t say I had stomach issues but a few sensible precautions when travelling .

Don’t eat cut fruit ( I recommend this everywhere including the UK , get a piece of fruit and peel and cut it yourself ) too much handling fir a commercial aetting you are guaranteed cross contamination and thats before you get to the buffet situation. Avoid salads and raw veg for the same reason .

Avoid buffets when possible . If not stick to ordering fresh or boiled eggs and sealed yoghurt .

Don’t over indulge , your system can handle most pathogens if you don’t overload it . Eat what you need don’t be a glutton.

Stay hydrated . There is nothing wrong with a glass of whisky or spirits as a digestive immediately after dinner . Its not a very effective antiseptic and won’t help with toxins already produced on food by existing bacteria but it won’t hurt .

If something tastes very bland or dirt like don’t eat it .

All sage advice.

The thing with Eygpt that we noticed (too late as we both were starting to feel ill which lasted 3-4 days and cost us about £1,100 in drugs/treatment there) is that the hygiene standards are very poor for the hotel staff and I'm talking pre-covid.

We saw little evidence of serving staff in the hotels washing their hands (and plates/glasses/cutlery etc) and to make matters worse they all mishandled the plates with food served (so fingers/thumbs over the top of the plate/touching food no doubt - which is my pet hate anywhere) and for the drinks the staff often held glasses by the rim and not the side so once again dirty/contaminated hands and fingers near (or on) where your mouth was about to go.............

And the one time we left the hotel complex at night we felt very uncomfortable within 200m of where we were staying in a shop selling booze and fags where the staff were downright stalker ish and completely overbearing so we left for the safety of our hotel.

And even then (2017) there were a great number of Russians at the same resort and for the most part (sorry to say as we have 2 Russian friends) they were deeply unpleasant to everyone around them all the time.

So, on balance, never again thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    We'll be heading for Zadar, Croatia, in June.
    Another massive plus for Croatia , we went to Opatija while it was still under communist rule in 1987 absolutely beautiful ,wonderful friendly people .

Another vote for Croatia. I stayed in Sipan. Absolutely loved it. For 8k, Egypt wouldn't be on my list. It's great for a diving holiday and that's the only reason I go there. I know you can get food issues anywhere but last time I visited my squits experience was horrific. I couldn't eat solid foods for two months and lived on complan nutrition drinks. I won't go into detail but the flight back from Hurghada was probably worse for the people who had to sit next to me!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has the OP reached a decision on Egypt? Seems my experience is pretty much standard.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Has the OP reached a decision on Egypt? Seems my experience is pretty much standard.
    Talked to the Mrs about it tonight while on our dog walk, Egypt is a definite no now! Thanks to everybody who took the time to reply, it made our decision quite easy in the end so very grateful for all the various experiences. We've got Florida in October this year so that's ruled out and we went to Thailand not long back so out of the picture as well. Looking at Mexico again (if we think we can put up with the days where the sargassum comes in) or maybe Dominican...decisions decisions.

Thanks again for all the replies👍

Agree about not returning to Egypt .
    If you speak any arabic the constant insults from the locals behind your back is utterly disgusting .

I was on a felucca ride as part of a trip and midway through the crew taught the tourist group to recite a profanity and blasphemy riddled song , the tour guide ( a self professed professor of egyptology no less) sat there smiling , at one point I caught him making sexual remarks about my wife ( we were on honeymoon) and the next minute he was making sexual remarks about me !

Gropings and sexual remarks from shopkeepers and monument staff were quite common , I chased two young men out of a perfume shop for molesting my wife and chased them down the street shouting haram at them to shame them.

Armed guards at some monuments . I had a 70 year old with an M60 casually over his shoulder flagging the entire tour group with it as we walked about .

40 tourists were massacred at

Then at the end the cruise ship owner trying to shake us down for more money to tip the crew as its traditional.

Horrendous place all round . There was a massacre in Luxor about a week after we left in 97 , 50 people including small children . Stabbed . The families found the bodies had been looted on retrieval ( wedding rings removed along with fingers ) watches and jewelry . Local police were implicated .

Vietnam , Thailand , Mauritius , India , Maldives all better places with much better people. I’d happily go back to Beirut and Syria over Egypt. Even in Russia people are more honest and trustworthy.
    Agreed. We had a superb holiday in Ambre Mauritius last year and also in Kata Noi, Phuket, Thailand. Beautiful places with wonderful food and the nicest people. Egypt is one of the very few places I would ever return to.

India for me🕌 Dropping £8k in Egypt? no way thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Another massive plus for Croatia , we went to Opatija while it was still under communist rule in 1987 absolutely beautiful ,wonderful friendly people .
    We were "greeted" by a line of machine gun toting, grim faced soldiers around the same era! I had a great time doing a "great escape movie style inspection" which had them all smiling at me and winking at the missus!

Master
    Why not a trip to the Caribbean? Bonaire curaçao? Do some diving, its great. it’s fun for the young ladies. Nice people.

I guess it depents on what you want. Culture? Beaches? Cities and shopping? Activities?

All in; 8k and 2 young ladies; don’t go to Egypt.

Craftsman
    5 star resorts in Turkey are fantastic (Side especially) Top quality food and drink ,great entertainment and lots of hotels have water parks. All the holiday you are after for probably half the budget.

Grand Master
    Been there 8-9 times. Always ok. Basic personal hygiene rules and never stay in a complex. Get out and live locally. I really don't understand people who go abroad and sit in gated or fenced hotels. Thats not seeing a country.

Sharm el Sheik at night is great fun from 7pm to early hours 7 days a week.

RIAC

Craftsman
    Used to go twice a year up until Covid times. Stayed in Sharm & Hurghada.
    Never had any issues with the locals dodgy stomachs etc. we did stay in decent quality hotels and on the whole managed to avoid those frequented by the Russians.
    Went back in March for a week and stayed in Sharm . No issues, hotel & food good standard & only paid £600 each all in via Travelzoo. Would go again if we could get a decent deal though will probably be looking at Morocco for our winter breaks this year.!

Master
    I must have been lucky also, have visited 8 times , Sharm, Hurghada, El Gouna. Only issue I’ve ever had is with Sharm airport, most disorganised airport I’ve ever had the misfortune of travelling through.

I have been to Egypt once. For a lot of the reasons already stated by others, there is no way I will ever go again!

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    This re Egypt......wont ever go again.
    Many more places we would go.
    Imodium is the last thing you need, you have a touch of pharaoh’s revenge, it’s absolutely nothing to do with the food or drink, not everyone gets it, but if you do imodium and anti biotics won’t work with this,avoid expensive doctors, instead head straight to the nearest pharmacy , they are generally on site at the hotels, the pharmacist will know exactly what you need, and give you tablets(called (Antinal) and cost you no more than a couple of quid which usually clears it up within 24hrs, but if it’s your first time you more than likely will get it. The only hotels l would consider are the Jaz hotels although l have been to quite a few over the years.
    Last edited by the big fella; 13th May 2023 at 23:16.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    Imodium is the last thing you need, you have a touch of pharaoh’s revenge, it’s absolutely nothing to do with the food or drink …
    Really? Why do you think the problem is so prevalent if it is not related to the food and drink?

What is your theory ?

Also note that that drug you mentioned isn’t over the counter in the UK and should only be prescribed by a doctor.

Really? Why do you think the problem is so prevalent if it is not related to the food and drink?

What is your theory ?

Also note that that drug you mentioned isn’t over the counter in the UK and should only be prescribed by a doctor.
    It’s also, despite what he says, an antibiotic.

Master
    British family's Egyptian holiday from hell as they suffer horrific pus-filled giant mosquito bites, 'extreme bowel loosening', trails of vomit, six-man punch-up and a dead dog in reception

A two-week getaway to the white sandy beaches of Hurghada became a holiday from hell...plagued with infected mosquito bites and embarrassed by medicine-induced bathroom accidents around the resort.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 14th May 2023 at 14:25.

Master

What is your theory ?

But different counties have different rules on what is over the counter, and what can be purchased. Melatonin in high doses in the US as an example. Equally I can buy 1,000 paracetamol in a single transaction over there, but we are restricted to 16 or whatever it is (32?).

I’ve taken that antibiotic in a couple of counties, and anything else they have in the hotel shop that’s a proper medicine. Rather than than be peeing out my arse for days on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Going to split first,then driving down to budva and then back up to Dubrovnik.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    What about Cape Verde islands ?
    If you like being sandblasted? Sorry, but there is a reason it’s a Mecca for kite surfers Who have to follow strict instructions to make sure they don’t get swept across to the US ! We found that even by the pool, with planting etc all around the sand still got everywhere

Holiday in Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Going to split first,then driving down to budva and then back up to Dubrovnik.

You'll be driving past Ston. If you haven't seen them, the battlements around Ston are really impressive. I'm sure I read that it is the longest wall in Europe.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 14th May 2023 at 17:42.

Master
    I'm going to Sharm el sheikh in less than 2 weeks. Didn't want to go the the canaries and the price was pretty good. Sensible precautions and I think we'll be fine. Mostly looking forward to swimming and scuba diving in the sea with my children.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    You'll be driving past Ston. If you haven't seen them, the battlements around Ston are really impressive. I'm sure I read that it is the longest wall in Europe.
    Thanks I’ll have a look

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

We went to Ston last year and it’s well worth a visit for sure.

Master
    The only hotels l would consider are the Jaz hotels although l have been to quite a few over the years.
    Why? We're staying at Jaz Mirabel Beach. Any advice?

Master

What is your theory ?

It’s hard to say what exactly causes it, l’ve always said it’s just in the air, l got it the first time l went 20yrs ago. l’ve been back many times since, and it’s never bothered me. my other half however never got it until the last time we went two years ago, so who knows.

you won’t get the Antinal in the uk over the counter, but it’s ready available in Egypt over the counter, my advice to anyone going is to head straight to the pharmacy and buy some just in case, and on any signs of stomach problems your ready.
    Last edited by the big fella; 15th May 2023 at 13:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Why? We're staying at Jaz Mirabel Beach. Any advice?
    The hotels are absolutely spotless, staff are generally spot on, food and drink is of a very good quality.and just totally stress free from Russians.

Take dollars with you tip the barstaff occasionally especially the lads around the pool,and bar they can turn your holiday into an absolute dream of a stay,and will often seek you out at the bars.

Try to stick to the same lad and tip at the end of the day or they’ll change hands on you and you’ll end up tipping twice,although this didn’t really bother me if l thought l got decent service l was always happy to throw them a dollar or two.!

Egyptian’s love tips a couple of dollars really makes their day, and they will go out of their way to make yours.

My best piece of advice though is read the post above and head straight to the pharmacy .

If your planning to do any trips seek out the agency's outside the hotels you’ll generally find they are cheaper than the like of tui and jet 2 for instance.
    Last edited by the big fella; 15th May 2023 at 13:54.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s hard to say what exactly causes it, l’ve always said it’s just in the air…

In the air? I’m no doctor or microbiologist but I’d bet it’s poor hygiene.

Master
    The hotels are absolutely spotless, staff are generally spot on, food and drink is of a very good quality.and just totally stress free from Russians.

Take dollars with you tip the barstaff occasionally especially the lads around the pool,and bar they can turn your holiday into an absolute dream of a stay,and will often seek you out at the bars.

Try to stick to the same lad and tip at the end of the day or they’ll change hands on you and you’ll end up tipping twice,although this didn’t really bother me if l thought l got decent service l was always happy to throw them a dollar or two.!

Egyptian’s love tips a couple of dollars really makes their day, and they will go out of their way to make yours.

My best piece of advice though is read the post above and head straight to the pharmacy .
    Great tips, thanks. Do they generally accept dollars for everything there or should I get some Egyptian pounds to be safe?

Indeed. Next you will be told to travel with this:

Remember to pack the nose with thyme!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Great tips, thanks. Do they generally accept dollars for everything there or should I get some Egyptian pounds to be safe?
    They’ll except anything but l take dollar because l know they can spend them, if you give them £1’s they have to try and change them to notes before they can spend them, you can take Egyptian pounds but it gets confusing, dollars $1 -60 - 70 pence easy, but as far as currency is concerned they’ll take anything as long as it’s not monopoly money, another tip as far as money is concerned is haggle and haggle hard, ie he wants a $100, you’ll ofer 20 and expect to agree somewhere in the middle.

Master
    It’s certainly not poor hygiene as far as the hotels l’ve been too are concerned, as some of them you could eaten your food off the floors, outside the hotels could be a different matter.
    You do however have to remember you are visiting a 3rd world country but l’ve certainly seen worse hygiene in say Kent.
    Last edited by the big fella; 15th May 2023 at 14:18.

Master
    Its poor hygiene. You cannot do anything about it .
    Don’t overload your system , avoid cut fruit and salad and you will probably be okay .

Master

If your planning to do any trips seek out the agency's outside the hotels you’ll generally find they are cheaper than the like of tui and jet 2 for instance.
    Me and my two kids stayed in a Jaz hotel last year. All of us had the trotts and both my kids were vomiting too.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Me and my two kids stayed in a Jaz hotel last year. All of us had the trotts and both my kids were vomiting too.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Had you asked last year l’d have told you about the Antinal.
    I first got it staying in the Royal albatross moderna in sharm, my wife got it at the Jaz splash in hurghada it doesn’t seem to discriminate between hotels.
    I’m just telling you what clears it up.
    Last edited by the big fella; 15th May 2023 at 14:59.

Master
    Its poor hygiene. You cannot do anything about it .
    Don’t overload your system , avoid cut fruit and salad and you will probably be okay .
    Has l said earlier l’ve been going to Egypt for the past 20 odd years, l got it the first time l went, never had it since so l find it hard to put it down to hygiene, although l don’t generally over indulge, l do eat everything.
    If it’s your first time going to Egypt the chances are highly likely you will get it, no matter what or what you don’t eat.

Holiday in Egypt

Its poor hygiene.
    We've known since the fourth century B.C that miasma is the cause of the bloody flux.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 15th May 2023 at 20:20.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s certainly not poor hygiene as far as the hotels l’ve been too are concerned, as some of them you could eaten your food off the floors, outside the hotels could be a different matter.
    You do however have to remember you are visiting a 3rd world country but l’ve certainly seen worse hygiene in say Kent.
    The hotels I stayed in were high end and everything looked great ... but it wasn't.

The last visit was a business sales conference for the EMEA sales force; the next quarter sales were down about 60% as almost all the staff came back from conference sick ... it was an unmitigated financial disaster for the company.

We did have a private viewing of the Cairo Museum one evening which was fantastic including seeing some items and mummies not on public display ...

I won't be returning. I'm well travelled and have a generally solid constitution but I am no measure for the environment in Egypt.

Master
    The hotels I stayed in were high end and everything looked great ... but it wasn't.

The last visit was a business sales conference for the EMEA sales force; the next quarter sales were down about 60% as almost all the staff came back from conference sick ... it was an unmitigated financial disaster for the company.

We did have a private viewing of the Cairo Museum one evening which was fantastic including seeing some items and mummies not on public display ...

I won't be returning. I'm well travelled and have a generally solid constitution but I am no measure for the environment in Egypt.
    I’m not disputing it but l’ve told you and others what clears this sickness up, anti biotics won’t work with this,nor does Imodium, Antinal does very quickly, in fact usually you’ll see the difference within 24 hrs.

The Egyptians won’t tell you what it is because they are after your money, and will usually try to palm you off with stuff you don’t need, as l said before l’ve been going to Egypt for near on 20 yrs, l had it the first time l went, l’ve been all around Egypt including the midnight bus to Cairo and never had it since.

I’m not disputing it but l’ve told you and others what clears this sickness up, anti biotics won’t work with this,nor does Imodium, Antinal does very quickly, in fact usually you’ll see the difference within 24 hrs.

The Egyptians won’t tell you what it is because they are after your money, and will usually try to palm you off with stuff you don’t need, as l said before l’ve been going to Egypt for near on 20 yrs, l had it the first time l went, l’ve been all around Egypt including the midnight bus to Cairo and never had it since.
    Antinal is an antibiotic.