closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holiday in Egypt

Master
    Do you need vaccinations for Egypt? I completely forgot about this and we're going next week!

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Do you need vaccinations for Egypt? I completely forgot about this and we're going next week!
    No.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Antinal is an antibiotic.
    Yeah l was referring to penicillin etc.

Master
    Antinal is an antibiotic.
    Yes a good broad spectrum one, not sure why big fella thinks it isn't, unless he is thinking about more targeted antibiotics.

If you don't have a history of reaction to antibiotics, I would rather take this than block myself with Imodium & let the bacteria breed...at some point the Imodium will wear off, and you won't have a choice.

My gut flora is sensitive in the UK often, so abroad I just get to the shop in the hotel as soon as I can, if they don't have it I will get to a pharmacy. No allergies, just the stomach of a young child it seems, and no logic or repeatable experiments to trigger what causes it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    No.
    Turns out you need hep A and typhoid. Managed to get my daughter an appointment but not my 3 year old son. Having to get one privately but you're not completely immune until 2 weeks after. Anyway he's not going to be drinking tap water or ice sofingers crossed it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Turns out you need hep A and typhoid. Managed to get my daughter an appointment but not my 3 year old son. Having to get one privately but you're not completely immune until 2 weeks after. Anyway he's not going to be drinking tap water or ice sofingers crossed it will be fine.
    To be fair, you don't 'need' - as in a requirement to have - in order to enter Egypt.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I went there when teaching diving and taking dive groups. My daughter was between 12 -14. The harassment targeted at her, including by the police and guards making sexual comments was not acceptable.

On a well run ‘5 Star’ compound type hotel you will be a lot safer then walking about with her. Maybe it’s improved, but not good.

Worth paying more for better place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    No.
    And also depends where your travelling from or through recently. Anywhere that’s been or is a yellow fever area you need a certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I don’t know a single person who’s been who hasn’t had stomach issues.

The plan journey home on my last trip was horrific, people were queuing the whole way home for the toilets.

My friends ended up with a big payout from a holiday provider 20k+ as his wife ended up with ecoli and another bacteria. She was hospitalised and was in a bad way for months.

You couldnt pay me 8k to go to Egypt again on holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One of my sisters end up with a Hep C infection caught in Egypt - she is never going back there..
    Another sister 'only' had the squits but hated the place though I'm not sure which resort she stayed in. She reckoned the gift shop staff locked the doors and would not let her out till she bought something! she would never go back either..

Mind you, I have just come back from Thailand and I have had the squits the last 4 days although getting a bit better now. Flight home was no fun.. Also quite a few Russians in my hotel on Koh Samui - stayed well away from them..

Blog Entries
    I was (and am) in the ‘Once but never again’ team and I posted this a while ago. After reading nearly all replies including some horror stories, I can safely conclude that we were lucky, health-wise!

When walking up and down the buffet tables during our stay in Egypt, I did wonder “Why should it be safe to touch this (e.g. water melon slices) when it’s not safe in all other parts of Egypt?” I remember that I stayed clear of that sort of food!

And, we were there with hundreds of others from all over the world only a few weeks before Covid.

Yes we were lucky.

Master
    When running dive groups the advice from seasoned travellers was to use the local medication not the IK stuff from Boots.

I always found this worked with the people I had with me. Sea sickness and upset stomachs were the usual complaints but fixed with local tablets. Juts make sure it’s an established pharmacy otherwise will be fake.

Blog Entries
    I was (and am) in the ‘Once but never again’ team and I posted this a while ago. After reading nearly all replies including some horror stories, I can safely conclude that we were lucky, health-wise!

When walking up and down the buffet tables during our stay in Egypt, I did wonder “Why should it be safe to touch this (e.g. water melon slices) when it’s not safe in all other parts of Egypt?” I remember that I stayed clear of that sort of food!

And, we were there with hundreds of others from all over the world only a few weeks before Covid.

Yes we were lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Indeed, 20 minutes ago.

Deja pooh.

When we went last October, all 4 of us in the family were fine. We ate fruit, salads, everything that looked good on the buffets (and not everything did look good).

Master
    Indeed, 20 minutes ago.
    Haha brilliant!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    And also depends where your travelling from or through recently. Anywhere that’s been or is a yellow fever area you need a certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you’re travelling from the uk, you are not required to provide certificates for yellow fever, or any fever as far as l’m aware.

Nor have l ever come across anyone who had yellow fever from Egypt, wether you want to get inoculated for it, is up to you.

l’ve been going there since early 2000, and never been asked to provide one.

Will being inoculated for yellow fever stop you getting pharaoh’s revenge l doubt it very much.
    Last edited by the big fella; 14th June 2023 at 13:51.

Reading this thread I am shocked.

I have been to Egypt 4 times with the family and none of us have ever suffered the trots.

As for resorts, I would never go back to Sham. It was a hole. Hurghada on the other hand was lovely, however we avoided the town (which seemed to be full of chavs and Russians). Best to find a hotel in the gated areas to the South of the town.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche