closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Driver and passenger window tints ?

Driver and passenger window tints ?

I am seeing more and more cars while out and about with tints on the front windows so dark I can't see the driver/passenger and also some strange tint to the windscreen which I can't see through, is this now legal ?

Also some of the headlights on cars are so bright they dazzle even in day light.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Driver and passenger window tints ?

Definitely not legal, just chancers because they know there are no police about to challenge them.

I believe the windscreen tints are known as Chameleon tints which change colour according to the light, not sure if they are legal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wjkerfoot; 9th May 2023 at 12:28.

Not legal, the police have meters to measure the percentage of light transmitted, but the law is very odd in such that you can wear any sunglasses you like

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Not legal, the police have meters to measure the percentage of light transmitted, but the law is very odd in such that you can wear any sunglasses you like
    This was always the issue with illegal dark tinted motorbike visors - you can always flip it up, but can't take off sunglasses while riding.

It is definitely illegal to over tint windows (I think cars ship with about the maximum legal tint) and in an accident with tinted windows this could well be cited as a contributing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    This was always the issue with illegal dark tinted motorbike visors - you can always flip it up, but can't take off sunglasses while riding.

It is definitely illegal to over tint windows (I think cars ship with about the maximum legal tint) and in an accident with tinted windows this could well be cited as a contributing factor.
    Most people think that if you carry a clear visor as well the police won’t do anything

Master
    The chameleon tint is sold as being legal as it only blocks out a certain percentage of the light, but I don't think they take into account that most windscreens already have a slight tint and applying it will take you over the legal threshold. It also looks shite and the end of this fad can't come soon enough.

Most people think that if you carry a clear visor as well the police won’t do anything
    To be fair with modern visors it is so easy to change the visor if it gets dark it really isn't the issue it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    To be fair with modern visors it is so easy to change the visor if it gets dark it really isn't the issue it once was.
    One of my lids has an internal flip down tinted visor, I can’t see the old bill spotting that

but the law is very odd in such that you can wear any sunglasses you like
    It is illegal for certain sunglasses....

https://scrivens.com/blog/why-you-co...ut-sunglasses/

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    It is illegal for certain sunglasses....

https://scrivens.com/blog/why-you-co...ut-sunglasses/
    It doesn’t say anywhere in that article they are illegal, it say you might, could be, may be prosecuted for something, it then goes with some AA recommendations “ A guide from motoring organisation, the AA, which shares advice from the Optical Suppliers Association states your driving sunglasses should:”

This is more useful but still isn’t clear on what you can be prosecuted for
    https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice...-in-sunglasses
    Last edited by adrianw; 9th May 2023 at 13:41.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    The chameleon tint is sold as being legal as it only blocks out a certain percentage of the light, but I don't think they take into account that most windscreens already have a slight tint and applying it will take you over the legal threshold. It also looks shite and the end of this fad can't come soon enough.
    Yes I think the chameleon tint has become a bit of a scene thing. As a cyclist I steer clear of cars when I see either illegal tints on the front windows. Appreciate that sounds very stereotypical of me - but the amount of times I've nearly been knocked off my bike by people turning into side roads with these tints, it can't be a coincidence.

Also look bloody stupid as well

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Yes I think the chameleon tint has become a bit of a scene thing. As a cyclist I steer clear of cars when I see either illegal tints on the front windows. Appreciate that sounds very stereotypical of me - but the amount of times I've nearly been knocked off my bike by people turning into side roads with these tints, it can't be a coincidence.

Also look bloody stupid as well
    Yes, likewise.

Red flag alerts for belligerent drivers, in the same way as loud exhausts, baseball caps on backwards etc etc
    (There’s another set of red flags for drivers who won’t see you, like beige Hondas, but at least they will mostly be going very slowly)
    🤣

Correlation too between dark tints and the front number plate on the dash... muppets.

It doesn’t say anywhere in that article they are illegal, it say you might, could be, may be prosecuted for something, it then goes with some AA recommendations “ A guide from motoring organisation, the AA, which shares advice from the Optical Suppliers Association states your driving sunglasses should:”

This is more useful but still isn’t clear on what you can be prosecuted for
    https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice...-in-sunglasses
    You can be prosecuted for wearing category 4 sunglasses 😎 other types
    up to 3 are ok. I would think prosecutions are extremely rare though.... unless you were wearing them if involved in a RT accident.

In the same respect there's also been a big increase in the number of cars in seeing with grey tinted number plates. I believe it's meant to hamper speed cameras and ANPR. so clearly illegal, yet nobody seems to get pulled for this either.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    In the same respect there's also been a big increase in the number of cars in seeing with grey tinted number plates. I believe it's meant to hamper speed cameras and ANPR. so clearly illegal, yet nobody seems to get pulled for this either.
    Nobody seems to get pulled for anything, rarely see police patrol cars thesedays. In the distant past the mere presence of the traffic cars made folks behave better on the roads, when I was a youngster I was driving most evenings and I could almost guarantee to come across them, even if you were doing nothing wrong and your car was strictly legal (mine always were) you still felt guilty. Rover 3.5 'Jam Sandwich' alongside you, circa 1978, certainly focussed the mind! Whenever I did get pulled over I was always treated fairly and let off with a good old-fashioned bollocking if I was in the wrong, speed cameras aren`t able to exercise discretion in the same way.

Unfortunately these benefits aren`t quantifiable so they don't fit with modern policing, big mistake IMO and we end up with a culture where folks think they can do as they please.

Bring back old-style coppers and higher profile policing, if folks don't get away with minor stuff they're less likely to progress to more serious offences.

Cuts in the numbers of police and back office support staff has consequences.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Cuts in the numbers of police and back office support staff has consequences.
    Yeah, well, there's 20,000 more of them now: Cruella has spoken, so it must be true

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Yes, likewise.

Red flag alerts for belligerent drivers, in the same way as loud exhausts, baseball caps on backwards etc etc
    (There’s another set of red flags for drivers who won’t see you, like beige Hondas, but at least they will mostly be going very slowly)
    🤣
    I want a pair of Lightening McQueen eyes as my screen wrap!

Joking aside, the car I had (briefly) while waiting for my company car to arrive was a maroon Rover 75. I have never been carved up as much on roundabouts, it was amazing.

Put it down to the fact the other driver assumed I’d still be checking to see if it was clear vs being a spritely 25yr old petrol head in the car.

Not a cool car but on my 100 mile daily round commute it was effortlessly comfy on cold dark winter nights.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I want a pair of Lightening McQueen eyes as my screen wrap!

Joking aside, the car I had (briefly) while waiting for my company car to arrive was a maroon Rover 75. I have never been carved up as much on roundabouts, it was amazing.

Put it down to the fact the other driver assumed I’d still be checking to see if it was clear vs being a spritely 25yr old petrol head in the car.

Not a cool car but on my 100 mile daily round commute it was effortlessly comfy on cold dark winter nights.
    Yeah - I understand. Years ago I had a Honda Accord for 6 months for reasons I won't bore you with, and my experience was similar: entirely reliable, never opened the bonnet and it was loaded with lots of pleasant extras, but everyone assumed you didn't want to do more than 25mph.

It was a bit similar when my wife had a Citroen Dyane, also years ago. I used to enjoy driving it in a spirited fashion, and it was great fun to catch people out by not slowing down at roundabouts and knowing just how far you could get the body to lean over in the dry before there was any risk of breaking adhesion or getting even close to a roll

The umbrella-handle gear shift was pretty slick once you'd grown accustomed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nobody seems to get pulled for anything, rarely see police patrol cars thesedays. In the distant past the mere presence of the traffic cars made folks behave better on the roads, when I was a youngster I was driving most evenings and I could almost guarantee to come across them, even if you were doing nothing wrong and your car was strictly legal (mine always were) you still felt guilty. Rover 3.5 'Jam Sandwich' alongside you, circa 1978, certainly focussed the mind! Whenever I did get pulled over I was always treated fairly and let off with a good old-fashioned bollocking if I was in the wrong, speed cameras aren`t able to exercise discretion in the same way.

Unfortunately these benefits aren`t quantifiable so they don't fit with modern policing, big mistake IMO and we end up with a culture where folks think they can do as they please.

Bring back old-style coppers and higher profile policing, if folks don't get away with minor stuff they're less likely to progress to more serious offences.
    The real issue is that they are only interested in revenue and that is where the resources go

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Chameleon tints are legal so long as they let a certain amount of light through.

Front side windows can have a very light tint but nothing more.

https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-wi...ight%20through.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk