closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which car should I buy?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Car number 1: Red Mazda dealer

23 46.94%
  • Car number 2: Grey indy dealer

26 53.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Pick my next car …

UPDATED: Pick my next car …

What would TZ do in the following scenario?

Two Mazda 3 hatchbacks, details as follows.

Car 1: £9,945

2014 (64 plate)
    63,600 miles
    1 owner
    Full dealer service history
    12 months MOT
    Seller is Mazda dealer so 12 months Mazda warranty, 12 months UK and Euro breakdown.

Car 2: £9,995

2016 (16 plate)
    62,000 miles
    1 owner
    Full dealer service history
    12 months MOT
    Indy London dealer (good reviews on Autotrader) so standard 3 months warranty

Both cars have same spec as far as I can tell. Both are in good clean condition.

Mazda dealer car is copper red like our recently departed Mazda 6, so nice continuity. Indy dealer car is dark metallic grey.

So TZ, which one should I buy? TIA
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 19th May 2023 at 18:25.

Master
    RED much nicer and if you have trouble then hopefully you'll get more joy from a main dealer. Age difference not reall ya problem these days.

Have you driven both?

Master
    Ask the Indy dealer for a longer warranty?

Would always go approved used over an indy. Much better chance of having faults sorted if anything goes wrong and there's always the opportunity to escalate to the "top brass" should you need to.

Provided you've inspected them both and they're mechanically equal, I think its so close you should pick whichever you like more.

That said I did vote for the Red - the dealer purchase is a little more protected and IMO its a car that benefits from a splash of colour, instead of being in flat grey.

Grand Master
    Virtually same spec and mileage, but one's 2 years newer; that would swing it for me, newer car ought to be the better option.

Craftsman
    The newer one for me.

I'd go newer, you'll notice any problems pretty quick so 12 months dealer warranty isn't a sway for me.

Seat give 2 years which is a bit different

Pick my next car …

Might be worth looking at the first two letters of the number plate to get an idea of roughly where each was registered.

An in-house fleet dept mechanic once told me to stay away from london cars when buying used as every mile in london is the equivalent of six out of london in wear and tear - potholes, start stop traffic, stuff like that

Are red cars still involved in a higher percentage of accidents and as such receive higher insurance costs? Or is that old news/ old wives tale

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Virtually same spec and mileage, but one's 2 years newer; that would swing it for me, newer car ought to be the better option.
    And yet you voted for the older car

And it's about 18 months newer.

I would aim for the newer car, but put these details to the trader and ask if they can provide a good quality 1-year warranty. Both have done relatively low miles, but being a couple of years newer for the same price is a bonus IMO, and you may find it helps with its future value.

This is the kind of scenario and price that applies to me so I found it a tough choice. In the end I went with the Mazda dealer car for peace of mind. I hope that helps.

Master
    Which dealer is closest to you so that should there be a problem it should be easier to engage with them over it.

It’s slightly unusual to see a 9yo car at the main dealer as a approved used, if you haven’t already it would be worth reconfirming thats the case, as there have been many cases where sales folk have “mistakenly” sold used with a 3rd party warranty as approved used with a manufacturer backed warranty.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    And yet you voted for the older car

And it's about 18 months newer.
    Apologies, I pressed the button before reading the age of both cars, I'd assumed they were the same. 18 months difference in age vs a better warranty makes it a harder choice. Check tyre tread depth on both and factor that in, might not be a deal-breaker but it might help tip the balance. Also read what is covered in the Mazda warranty very carefully and assess whether it really is worth it.

Me? I'd forget about both and search for a nice 2014 3-Turbo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

You’d be for a lengthy search in the uk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Newer for me if everything else about the car was equal. Later model year might have some improvements or a slight better standard spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd check the resale prices on the usual websites to see what the difference was there and compare that against the cost of a similar 12mth 3rd party warranty or the risk to you of less warranty. Don't forget, at mentioned, to ask for details of the pre sale preparation done (tyres etc) as that can help compare the current conditions of both vehicles (in my experience even ADs scrimp on prep if they can get away with it).
    After that I'd lean towards the newer car but I'd be comfortable with the risk; if you're more risk averse then consider a 3rd party inspection for the indy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    You’d be for a lengthy search in the uk
    You’d be surprised, there’s always a fair few for sale & generally under £10k

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

I always wanted one of these - awesome car. I thought they stopped production in 2013?

Sadly I have a wife and 2 kids, and head must rule heart

Thanks for all replies so far.

Essentially these are the same car with different reg plates and paint, so no difference on spec.

I honestly don't think the age will make much difference to resale as we'll be keeping this either until it dies, I win the lottery, or some idiot smacks me arse like the last one.

I'm also starting to think that warranty isn't such a big problem. Mazda are rock solid in my experience.

The poll looks like Brexit so not much hope there either

I'm going to call them both tomorrow and see what they have to say. Maybe that'll help me decide.

Master
    Please tell me you've driven them both?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    What's the point of that when you can get the opinion of a bunch of strangers on a watch forum 😂

Craftsman
    Car 2 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Factor in cambelt change maybe? Assuming it has one.
    Based on mileage and age
    What are most cars £5-800?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    What's the point of that when you can get the opinion of a bunch of strangers on a watch forum 
    Clearly I’m not going to hand over £10k without driving them first, but I’ve driven a Mazda for the past 10 years so unless there’s something broken with either of these, they should drive fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Factor in cambelt change maybe? Assuming it has one.
    Based on mileage and age
    What are most cars £5-800?
    These are cam chain so no worries there. It’s why I’ve shied away from any VAG cars.

Master
    Clearly I’m not going to hand over £10k without driving them first...
    Many would, and do.

Hi

Hope you don't mind my 2p....

The Main dealer 64plate has been off the road/on the forecourt for several months:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk...ration=ls64kvf

and I personally prefer the MOT history on the 16plate:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk...ration=yh16nlm

Best Neil
    Last edited by flame; 10th May 2023 at 15:02.

Mazda do minor/ major services, often age related, check which one is next in case a big one needs to be factored in. They are doing digital service books too, so should be able to get full "print out" from Mazda.

I'm sucker for the red as per other halfs Mazda2, and likely to be easier to sell if not keeping it long.

Oh and they like to throw it through MOT before doing any service which is annoying if you've already planned for them to do work e.g. the brakes on the first one wouldn't surprise me if dealer serviced.

Do they have sat nav? Presume same as the Mazda2 which is download to card and upload to car, make sure they are up to date as Mazda like to charge for either single update or subscribe which only gives 2 updates a year and need to upload manually- neither is cheap route.
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 10th May 2023 at 15:35. Reason: ETA re MOT and Sat Nav question

Master
    This was similar to our dilemma when looking for our next Merc. The Used Approved has worked better for us and I like the way we get treated in a Merc main dealer, not sure about other makes but I would hope the same applies. One thing that has scared me recently about non-franchised purchases is how many adverts there are on facebook marketplace for 'Mileage Correction' - illegal tampering with mileage. Even a small-ish amount like 10,000 miles can make a lot of difference to a cars value.

Thanks for all the further input.

I looked more closely at the red dealer car images and it looks tatty, with tears and scrapes on the boot carpet and a big patch of leather worn out on the handbrake, so I've dismissed it.

The grey indy car by contrast looks tidy. I'm hopefully viewing and driving it on Friday so will check all the service records and ask about the SatNav updates.

What do people think about getting some wedge knocked off? Because decent motors are thin on the ground at the moment I don't really have a hand to play, but no harm trying I suppose. Maybe see if they'll throw in 12 months warranty?

Hi

I suspect you might be able to haggle a tank of petrol , however that will probably be it !

Best Neil

Haggling is becoming a thing of the past, most dealers know the market and how much they will get for their car. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but you're better off aiming for things like petrol, mats, map updates, improved warranty (or at least a discounted extension to it), things that the dealer may normally provide with a markup. Just don't unnecessarily walk away from the right car at a price you're willing to pay for the sake of the sport of haggling.

Grand Master
    Traditionally, if you had nothing to part ex you were in a stronger position to haggle some discount. Times have changed, I haven`t bought a car for a few years so that may no longer be the case. Can the dealer offer an extended warranty that would normally have to be purchased at extra cost, if so try to get that thrown in. Look v. carefully at tyres and take a tread depth tool with you, if any tyres are getting close to the end of their life try to haggle for replacements.

Master

Question

Not much between them- I personally love that share of red, so would go with that one.

This is the handbrake area on the red one:

And the boot:

Bit scruffy.

Master
    This is the handbrake area on the red one:

And the boot:

Bit scruffy.
    That red one looks to have had a fairly tough life based on the wear to the handbrake, rubber seal on boot, dog getting in and out? Lots of crap carelessly loaded and unloaded?

If the interior has had so little care you've got to question how much mechanical sympathy they had.....

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    That red one looks to have had a fairly tough life based on the wear to the handbrake, rubber seal on boot, dog getting in and out? Lots of crap carelessly loaded and unloaded?

If the interior has had so little care you've got to question how much mechanical sympathy they had.....

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I've dismissed it already.

I hadn't noticed the wear and tear when I was first looking at it, and I thought Mazda might have demanded a higher standards threshold for its approved used cars. Times must be tough for dealers as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just another possible thought, I bought a 10 yo one owner lexus with a tad under 60K mileage last year from the main dealer - the dealer replaced the timing chain as part of their prep because the car was 10 yo. So even though chains are more robust than rubbery belts it does seem to be another reason to support the newer car?

Master
    Exactly. I've dismissed it already.

I hadn't noticed the wear and tear when I was first looking at it, and I thought Mazda might have demanded a higher standards threshold for its approved used cars. Times must be tough for dealers as well.
    Maybe the photographs were taken before the approved used car preparation?

You’d be none the wiser if they’d replaced the handbrake leather and the boot seal, so perhaps use them as a point of negotiation and get the dealer to replace them?

It’s a used car, and will have signs of use, especially after that mileage and age, but those items are pretty easy to replace so personally I wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand as long as the oily bits have been tended to on schedule.

Master
    The top of the steering wheel looks pretty worn too especially for car with that mileage

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    The top of the steering wheel looks pretty worn too especially for car with that mileage
    and the floormats ( driver/passenger ) look clean , suggesting it's been through prep too....bet the top of gear nob is worn....previous owner probably wore a few rings:

Best Neil

I went to see the car today in a huge pound in the arse-end of Hounslow (apologies to anyone who lives there, but the walk from Hounslow Central to the dealer was grim), complete with an on-site garage that I'd never want any car of mine to go anywhere near. I'd forgotten the joys of visiting indy car dealers and seeing how they operate.

Anyway, the car itself is totally clean. Barely any stone chips, one tiny dent on passenger door. Inside was clean as a whistle, and more comfortable and roomy in the back than I was expecting so the kids will be fine. Felt like a pleasant place to sit so I can imagine driving it long distances with no fuss. It obviously feels smaller than the 6 estate but plusher.

The boot was the eye-opener. It's a standard size for this type of car but looked tiny compared with the 6. We'll deffo need to economise on luggage when we go away, and I might have to buy a parlour guitar to take with us because I don't think the jumbo acoustic will fit with bags as well.

First impressions pretty good then, but a few things bothered me (outlined below) so I walked away to think it over.

It was serviced all its life at Stoneacre Mazda dealer in Harrogate, which could be seen as a plus. Last service was November last year and a few advisories were mentioned but not actioned by the owner:

I couldn't work out how to auto fold the mirrors but I phoned Stoneacre service dept. and they said the right mirror should still fold as they use separate motors. Not necessarily a deal breaker but a problem nonetheless.

Is 60% and 50% worn brake pads something to worry about? Probably not, but I wouldn't be paying near £500 to replace them at a dealer. Surely that's way over priced?

Also, the tyres are wearing unevenly at the rear:

Could the rear tyres have been replaced at different times? Would 4-wheel alignment sort that? Is it a potential problem? I'd feel safer budgeting for two new tyres but the uneven wear bothers me.

Finally, I looked under the bonnet to check fluid levels.

The coolant level was good but the colour was a sort of muddy brown-green. The old Mazda 6 had blue coolant and all my Skodas were pinky/orange coolant. I've never seen the muddy green colour before so wondered what it was? The coolant isn't normally changed until 120,000 miles but the Mazda dealer checked and ticked it at the last service, so must be OK?

When I pulled the dipstick to check the oil level the entire stick was streaked with oil, which I've never seen before. I gave it a wipe, popped it back in and pulled it again but same thing - the whole stick streaked with oil. The engine was cold. The level itself was right at the Max marker. Potential problem?

The test drive was a bit of a non-event. Driving at 20mph, stop-starting for lights and going over speed bumps for 10 minutes gave me no real idea about how it drives. It sounded OK, no nasty rattles or squeaks, but Christ knows how it turns or accelerates?

All gizmos seemed to work, including the HUD, which is cool.

In light of all the above, I can't make up my mind. I wonder if buying from a car yard with a rough looking garage on site is prejudicing my decision? I know a Mazda used-approved 12-month dealer warranty would be preferable, but the indy said he can do nationwide warranty. He can forget the on-site warranty anyway - not a chance.
    I just can't drop £10k on a motor unless the whole thing sings to me, and there were some bum notes today.

Back to the drawing board and a potentially long wait, or try to haggle some money off to fix the issues?

Hiya

Personally , I'd walk away & find another example based on the above.

For £10k it should be better....

Best Neil

Master
    From what you say it seem like a lot of cash for a carp car
    I know it’s not the same but my daughters got her heart set on a new shape Corsa and has sent me a couple to look at - both ‘20 reg with around 12k on the clock - £12k - £2k more than your looking at

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    TBH it doesn't sound too bad considering the mileage but if you have even the slightest doubt my decision is always to walk away.

Used prices are stupid but sadly it isn't going to change in the near future.

Based on your last post I’d pass and keep looking. Sooner or later you’ll find a one owner private sale or a proper approved used.

REgarding the rear tyres, one may be a replacement, check the 4 figure marking on them, it gives the week and year of manufacture. if very similar then an issue if one is a year or so younger then, not so much...

Does anyone know what the oil on the dipstick might be? Or the coolant colour?