closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protecting your data and on-line identity - tips & hints

One more thing I do is to maintain and frequently use a suite of utilities to keep my PC clean, like:

• Avast (real time)
    • CCleaner (manual only)
    • System Mechanic (manual only)
    • Glary Utilities (manual only)
    • Malwarebytes (manual only)
    • Comodo (manual only)

I run CCleaner almost daily, and the rest every 1-2 weeks. The Task Manager gets reviewed every couple weeks, too.

I use Windows 11 with no other programs, just run regular updates and let it's defender do it's thing

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why don't the spammers simply strip the +text?
    You’d need to ask a spammer, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    You’d need to ask a spammer, not me.
    Sorry, thought you might know as you keep suggesting this.

I'll suggest that they largely do and the exercise is pretty pointless.

They aren't looking for people who understand email addresses

If someone replies it won't be because they are fooled by email formatting

Master
    Use a password manager & set it to generate complex passwords.

As a side benefit you can set it up so your family can get at your passwords when you kark it which makes administering your estate a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Use a password manager & set it to generate complex passwords.

As a side benefit you can set it up so your family can get at your passwords when you kark it which makes administering your estate a lot easier.
    I use a password manager and my wife has the master key

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sorry, thought you might know as you keep suggesting this.

I'll suggest that they largely do and the exercise is pretty pointless.
    You can suggest what you like, however you’ll note I’ve only suggested this once & answered one or two questions about it.

Facts matter.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve never been keen on password managers. They just seem like a single point of failure waiting to happen.

If I were a serious hacker breaking on of those seems like an obvious target.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I’ve never been keen on password managers. They just seem like a single point of failure waiting to happen.

As is your Google account.

Dashlane has never been breached and I prefer the additional functionality

From an independent review

"Both Dashlane and Google offer user-friendly vaults for password management. Both services are easy to use, but Dashlane provides much more functionality, with stronger encryption and additional inbox scanning and VPN features, which give its vault an edge over the protection offered by Google. Both tools allow users to generate secure passwords, although Google provides no options around password length or special characters, while Dashlane provides full customization over generated password strength."

It's that customisation I like, I use the longest most complex each website allows, Dashlane allows this. There are others, I'm not sure what the difference is.

Anyway, I'm less bothered about all the programs in this thread which scan for malware etc, I just use Windows default defender, but passwords different matter, I like to manage those as best I can.

As I said earlier , we will all be fixated by malware etc and take our own precautions yet online fraud that I come across is almost exclusively people freely giving their details out via scam emails or phone calls, or allowing them access to your computer thinking they are tech help.

Last edited by Daveya.; 8th May 2023 at 09:51.

If anyone has a windows laptop and wants to change how they login

You can try this for free at the moment

https://digitalsecurity.hitachi.eu/p...s/veinid-five/

Just DM me

If you have a small business and want to make sure no one is setting up a duplicate fake website to steal your customers. Had two instances of small companies Gardener and Dog grooming who took payments via their sites. also will check standard recommended configuration.
    Again free for a single site, DM me if you need help.

Www.Cyberalarm.org

Just about to relaunch with new website and some additional functionality

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t allow Google to store any serious passwords either.

I like Google, I'm Googled up, just like the functionality to go for the strongest password possible .

Tbh I wish more sites offered 2FA. Think all my important accounts are 2FA, and I have every social media account to stop others using my email address.

Discord, Gettr and TikTok, when I sighed up found accounts already set up using my email address, quickly sorted that out.

When I first set up the password manager think I had about 2000 passwords to sort, and some accounts I had to apply to get close. Sainsbury's insurance for example doesn't allow you to delete your account, took 3 months to get it deleted.

29 years using same Gmail account and same old Orange phone number I'm not surprised I had that many tbh. God knows what data I've left behind, loving house 8 times I suppose has helped

Make up, print and laminate your card PINs in a pattern only you know.

Make it 5x5 if you are nervous.

Keep it in your wallet and on phone.

Even easier, use memorable (but not easily guessed) words for PINS and longer numerical combinations such as for safes and carry a small crib like this.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    A B C D E F G H I J
    K L M N O P Q R S T
    U V W X Y Z
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Even easier, use memorable (but not easily guessed) words for PINS and longer numerical combinations such as for safes and carry a small crib like this.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    A B C D E F G H I J
    K L M N O P Q R S T
    U V W X Y Z
    But. - mine works……………..

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    But. - mine works……………..
    Not entirely sure what you mean, you have to choose the word before converting it to set a combination or PIN but I assure you that it works and something very similar is in use by many organisations that need high levels of security, because words and phrases are easier to remember than numerical sequences and thus far less likely to be written down.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 8th May 2023 at 20:42.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suspect many use self created codes. I use a substitution code where I memorise various strings which are represented by letters and then combine them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

As the hapless LastPass keeps finding out! I moved to BitWarden but TBH there's no assurance any password manager won't get blown open, hence using MFA/2FA whereever possible with a biometric to unlock the Authenticator app on mobi.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 8th May 2023 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Not entirely sure what you mean, you have to choose the word before converting it to set a combination or PIN but I assure you that it works and something very similar is in use by many organisations that need high levels of security, because words and phrases are easier to remember than numerical sequences and thus far less likely to be written down.
    Ah - sorry, Mine is for PINs issued by the banks (I think before you could easily change them) - so without changing anything, a way of remembering what your pin is for several cards. The PIN is simply hidden in the tables.

You do get some strange looks when you pull out the paper, look at it - then enter the PIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I like Google, I'm Googled up, just like the functionality to go for the strongest password possible .

29 years using same Gmail account...
    Umm...Google was founded in 1998 and GMail was introduced in 2004. Maybe you meant 19 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Umm...Google was founded in 1998 and GMail was introduced in 2004. Maybe you meant 19 years.
    Yeah I meant Orange, went online and bought a mobile when my wife was pregnant in 94, assumed Google email was same time. Think was was the dial up account email, AOL I think. I've had Sky for 19 years as they've made me a platinum