closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Voting in the UK local elections today?

Voting in the UK local elections today?

Don't forget to take your ID!

https://www.electoralcommission.org....d?gclsrc=aw.ds

I've not put this in the bear pit, as I'm not looking for trouble. Just a little reminder...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Postal vote for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Postal vote for us.
    Same. Have done for years, much more civilised.

I decided to pass this year.

Postal vote so much easier.

Craftsman
    Had me worried for a minute - I just checked are there aren't any this year where I live.

I have a postal vote but haven't posted it.

Master
    I shall go in a few minutes. Ten minute walk.

Master
    Already done at 7.15.

Craftsman
    Was the ID requirement a hassle for people? I'm mystified by the fuss as we've had it in NI for years.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Was the ID requirement a hassle for people?
    Not for me; dead easy.

Blog Entries
    Are there any special places that are normally closed but now open because there's a polling station for one day?

Castles, parts of museums, privately owned islands ('vote and get a guided tour as well!); all spots where we can vote when we want to. It has raised the vote turnout here.

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Was the ID requirement a hassle for people? I'm mystified by the fuss as we've had it in NI for years.
    Well, to keep things simple, the only valid paperworks that come with a photo are your passport, a reasonably recent driving licence and a senior bus pass. Which mean that the elderly will have no issue, most people on this forum will have no issue but students will struggle and students from poor families will struggle more.

[sarcasm]I am of course convinced that it's a coincidence if they are the ones most likely to vote Labour. Whereas voters fraud was an urgent issue that needed tackling asap.[/sarcasm]
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Well, to keep things simple, the only valid paperworks that come with a photo are your passport, a reasonably recent driving licence and a senior bus pass. Which mean that the elderly will have no issue, most people on this forum will have no issue but students will struggle and students from poor families will struggle more.

[sarcasm]I am of course convinced that it's a coincidence if they are the ones most likely to vote Labour. Whereas voters fraud was an urgent issue that needed tackling asap.[/sarcasm]
    Won't many students have a proof of age (PASS) card?

My Mother had none of those you mention BTW...

I hope there are representatives keeping a tally of the numbers of people refused the vote today.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman

People can also apply for a Voter Authority Certificate and an Anonymous Elector's Document. And most students will have ID as that is frequently needed to purchase alcoholic beverages...

Master
    Walked into polling station, showed my driving licence, voted, walked out.
    No problem at all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I hope there are representatives keeping a tally of the numbers of people refused the vote today.
    Apparently they are required to collate numbers at least I believe

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    They will. I have worked at plenty of Polling stations and at the count. They will know the numbers on each area’s electoral role, now how many people voted and for whom, plus they will tally up any spoilt ballot papers; some of those provided a welcome chuckle when counting votes. Turn-out seems to be getting lower and lower with each new election, I suspect this will be more of the same.

I’m no Labour voter, but I would cynically concur.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Well, to keep things simple, the only valid paperworks that come with a photo are your passport, a reasonably recent driving licence and a senior bus pass. Which mean that the elderly will have no issue, most people on this forum will have no issue but students will struggle and students from poor families will struggle more
    People who want to vote in an election need experience no issue. You need a national insurance number (every adult has one) and a recent digital photo (I doubt that students from poor families will have any difficulty with that one). It's free as you'd expect, so poverty isn't an issue.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-i...ty-certificate

If you want to vote and you're eligible to - you can. Easily.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    People who want to vote in an election need experience no issue. You need a national insurance number (every adult has one) and a recent digital photo (I doubt that students from poor families will have any difficulty with that one). It's free as you'd expect, so poverty isn't an issue.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-i...ty-certificate

If you want to vote and you're eligible to - you can. Easily.
    But why bother with adding a layer of any rigamarole, voter fraud in the UK was as I understand it a non issue?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    But why bother with adding a layer of any rigamarole, voter fraud in the UK was as I understand it a non issue?
    Not at all the case in NI, that's why it was introduced here. In GB, I don't know.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk