closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: India sim card

India sim card

Hello we are off to India next year, been to Vodafone about what to do to buy an extra pack to use abroad, not very helpful just says to buy a sim card over there and put £20.00 on it just wondering if anybody else has been there and I what did you do about it, also been told cannot get money here have to exchange over there

Master
    Just get an esim of your phone supports it. Worked fine for my daughters trip see https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Sim-for-Travel Airalo seemed to be the recommended supplier and who she used.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Just get an esim of your phone supports it. Worked fine for my daughters trip see https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Sim-for-Travel Airalo seemed to be the recommended supplier and who she used.
    thanks will have a look at that.

Master
    It depends on whether you’re massively bothered with data when out and about.
    My friend and I were there earlier this year and never much struggled without it, just used Wi-Fi in hotels to use for google maps when wandering around.
    His cost of roaming (Vodafone) was ok, mine (Sky) was eye-watering. If you really want to hit the data a lot (or are there a long time and the daily charge adds up) then a local sim is the best thing.

And correct on currency, you can only get it there. ATMs give annoyingly large bills, so be prepared to be constantly breaking them when you can.

See link below;

https://thewanderingquinn.com/sim-ca...delhi-airport/

You can buy the sim near the exit. The sim is a bit more expensive due to being in the airport but it is less of an administrative headache.

It can take a few hours to activate and the data allowance is per day, rather than per month.

Forgot to mention regarding money. I usually take money from the cashpoint but I have a State Bank of India bank account opened from here but can withdraw cash in rupees over there. But opening an account will take a week or more, especially as the admin side is mind boggling. For example, each time you get a new debit card, your PIN is cancelled. Trying to call customer service and understand is a nightmare.

Your alternative is to take GBP and exchange at a bank. But if you have fee free card (eg Halifax Clarity) that will be useable in most places eg coffee shops, restaurants etc.

Lebara UK SIM-only plans run on the Vodafone network and offer free roaming in the EU and India.

I switched from Vodafone to a Lebara plan a few months ago and now get more data and free roaming as above for a lower monthly payment and no contract.
    Last edited by DMC102; 3rd May 2023 at 23:43.

Just pick up a sim with suitable package at the airport in India. You have 3 main providers, so Vodafone Idea (VI), Airtel or JIO.

IMHO although me and my wife use a VI sim I’d personally choose JIO if you are planning on travelling as they have more coverage.

We did a tour of Rajastan a few weeks back and both our VI sums struggled whereas a few people with us who used JIO had no issues whatsoever.

I was in Goa at Christmas and used an Airalo esim.

Set it up at home, connected within a couple of minutes of landing and no issues throughout my stay.

Just spent five minutes setting up my next Airalo esim. Going to the US in a few days. $16 for 5GB for 30 days.
    If all goes well I'll just switch it on when I land and I'll be good to go. Easy.