closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watches you were enthusiastic about but you now couldn't care less

Breitling Emergency.

Lusted after one for a few years until realising they're just a monstrasity.

Master
    Tag Monaco
    Breitling Emergency

Journeyman

Watches you were enthusiastic about but you now couldn't care less

Zenith
    People tend to praise the humble hero of watchmaking.
    I had two.
    I won't touch it even with a stick.
    Disgraceful reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Blancpain FF Barakuda. Absolutely lusted after one on release, have one, least worn watch. It's just too small on me.
    Same goes for all the FF 40mm limited edition models. I've lusted after them, read all about them only to have the biggest disappointment when trying them on. They wear TINY!
    I've only got small wrists but it looked like a child's watch to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    Zenith
    People tend to praise the humble hero of watchmaking.
    I had two.
    I won't touch it even with a stick.
    Disgraceful reliability.
    They were my favourite watch brand for a spell but their movements are very delicate and prone to issues, I have had problems with several Zenith models I’ve owned, I haven’t given up on them completely however but will only ever buy them with warranty, their saving grace is that the customer service from Stuart is excellent.

Master
    Any Omega - have always thought I’d get a speedy at some point but never actually put in the effort. And now they’re 6k+

For me it’s the Submariner, but I’m reality it is anything in the “plus £500” range.

I think it was Ken (Wallasey Runner) who said to me, that the sub-£500 range is a great place to be in watch collecting and I’ve come to appreciate that is true, for me.

The truth is if I lost or damaged a watch of that value, it’s still a lot of money to me, but I could justify going out to buy another. And it means I wear and enjoy them a lot more and don’t feel so self conscious about them.

I totally respect higher end horology, I understand the status and appreciation of those watches and brands as well, but I’ve realised it’s not for me.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Same goes for all the FF 40mm limited edition models. I've lusted after them, read all about them only to have the biggest disappointment when trying them on. They wear TINY!
    I've only got small wrists but it looked like a child's watch to my eyes.
    Yep, ive got a DJ 36 smooth on oyster, the size difference is barely perceptible. Nuts.

Omega x-33 Gen 2

Started to look for one of these in the late noughties but they were already end of line.
    There were rumours of a group bulk buy option but they came to nothing.
    Then Omega launched the z-33 which isn't viable as an everyday watch.
    Got fed up with waiting for a x-33 gen 3 being released and bought an Explorer 2 instead.
    Think i'm too old for the gen 3 now but i do still check SC in case a gen 2 arrives.... but doubtful now that i care enough to buy...
    (and i never found a way to search SC for x-33)

Craftsman
    Two Rolex models spring to mind, one I doubt I'd ever actually own and the other I went in to buy "this" and bought "that" instead. The Daytona was a watch I always lusted after, that is until a mate had one and I tried it on. I knew I'd probably never own one, but the sence of meloncholy I felt as I realised I just didn't like it.

The other was an Explorer 216570 Polar. I'd tried the earlier (16570) some years prior and really liked it. Finally had funds to buy one and into the local AD I went. Sadly, once again there was that sadness as I gazed down at a face I just couldn't love. We all know that feeling eh? However, a black 216570 quickly restored my passion and relieved my bank balance accordingly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    For me it’s the Submariner, but I’m reality it is anything in the “plus £500” range.

I think it was Ken (Wallasey Runner) who said to me, that the sub-£500 range is a great place to be in watch collecting and I’ve come to appreciate that is true, for me.

The truth is if I lost or damaged a watch of that value, it’s still a lot of money to me, but I could justify going out to buy another. And it means I wear and enjoy them a lot more and don’t feel so self conscious about them.

I totally respect higher end horology, I understand the status and appreciation of those watches and brands as well, but I’ve realised it’s not for me.
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

The worst of times for those wanting to buy a brand but, for those interested in quality, variety and VFM, with what's on offer now in the sub £1,000 range (extended to include the likes of Christopher Ward, Ginault, et al), there's never been a better time to be a collector.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 4th May 2023 at 20:53.

Master
    Pre-TAG, vintage Heuers.
    Seiko Tunas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post

Totally this
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!