closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Not illegal, but sly....

Master
    Blog Entries

Not illegal, but sly....

I've always been a bit dubious about the number of this kind of spam mail I get so I did some digging...

....and yes. It's a limited company, with a paid up capital of £500k. Presumably they're also drawing decent salaries and the cynic in me might also suspect that some of the employees are family too.

Their only "charitable" commitment is giving £50k a year to the named charity.

There are genuine charities doing this though - just keep an eye out if you recycle your clothes this way and use a proper charity.

I think it's very charitable that they supply me with free kitchen swing-bin liners. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

All of this type of thing go straight from the letterbox to the bin. I take a great deal of stuff to charity shops, especially when moving house as I'm about to do, and will continue to do so. I'll take them to those charity shops of my choosing that are legitimate.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I think it's very charitable that they supply me with free kitchen swing-bin liners. ;-)
    Me too & just changed it.

Take all our clothes and anything else they can sell to a few local charities.

Master
    I never throw any clothes out, they get worn to destruction or given to homeless on the street. Most of the stuff sent to charity or recycling end up in big bales n some port in Africa or the 3rd world and pile up unrecycled.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bingo!

tbh most people i know ~(inc myself) just use these as a way to dispose of old clothes and footwear that is past the stage that a tramp would refuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    tbh most people i know ~(inc myself) just use these as a way to dispose of old clothes and footwear that is past the stage that a tramp would refuse them.
    I thought that was when they appeared on SC? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    LOL

thats for things like expensive shoes and the sales pitch usually contains something like 'paid £500 for them in 1964- just want my money back'

Master
    I checked a couple that had come through my door on the Gov Companies registration and both recent startups with eastern european names. I wondered how to check just how much of the "charity" gets to the charity. There is a local place that buys old clothes, often frequented by folks in "nameless" white vans, taking full loads! (Easily seen from the supermarket car park!)

Master
    We always get these but I never realised it was a scam. I just saw the charities logo and assumed it was from them directly. Charity fund raising in general has really got a bit grubby.

Most of the stuff donated ends up in Eastern Europe thrift stores. A lot of people fall for it.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

This is a candidate for reply of the year!

Had me and my wife doubled over.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Most of the stuff donated ends up in Eastern Europe thrift stores. A lot of people fall for it.
    They’re not necessarily ‘falling’ for it. They could be using this as a convenient way to dispose of old clothes rather than believing they are raising money or giving clothes to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    They’re not necessarily ‘falling’ for it. They could be using this as a convenient way to dispose of old clothes rather than believing they are raising money or giving clothes to charity.
    Then those people haven't fallen for it and it's a conscious decision. I'm referring to the likes of my mother-in-law who doesn't even look at the small print and thinks that all the proceeds go to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    That will be Sales Corner....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

We get one of these bags through the door every week - how much stuff do they think we've got to get rid?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    We get one of these bags through the door every week - how much stuff do they think we've got to get rid?
    Same here, and if that very charity IIRC.

Is this the new letterbox opportunity?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    I wonder if there are any real tramps left. All the "homeless" people in my area seem to have just made a home for themselves and settled in disused doorways.

I do remember than most towns had the odd one traveling thru. And as society has grown wealthier there are more and more
    Last edited by redmonaco; 27th April 2023 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I just saw the charities logo and assumed it was from them directly. Charity fund raising in general has really got a bit grubby.
    Around 30 years ago, a slightly dodgy friend of mine had an arrangement with a charity ("The Lourdes Society for Invalid Children", if I remember correctly), whereby he paid them a set amount of money per year and he could keep the proceeds of any fundraising that he did in their name.

The advantage for the charity was that they received a known amount of money every year, without having to expend any effort or resources in fundraising. I imagine that this sort of arrangement is more common than most of us realise.

Master
    I suppose in a just society charity wouldn't (shouldn't?) be necessary...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I suppose in a just society charity wouldn't (shouldn't?) be necessary...
    The UK regulator has in my view lost control of the charity sector. Far too many seem to be either political fronts or simply a method by which people can pay themselves a decent salary. Even well known charities can be dubious in how much they spend on administration compared to a well run one.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I wonder if there are any real tramps left. All the "homeless" people in my area seem to have just made a home for themselves and settled in disused doorways.

I do remember than most towns had the odd one traveling thru. And as society has grown wealthier there are more and more

there are a lot of 'homeless' who have turned begging in shop doorways into a full time job that apparently pays quite well , theres no way to work out who genuinely needs help anymore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Around 30 years ago, a slightly dodgy friend of mine had an arrangement with a charity ("The Lourdes Society for Invalid Children", if I remember correctly), whereby he paid them a set amount of money per year and he could keep the proceeds of any fundraising that he did in their name.

The advantage for the charity was that they received a known amount of money every year, without having to expend any effort or resources in fundraising. I imagine that this sort of arrangement is more common than most of us realise.
    A work mate of mine got recruited by someone to sell scratch cards for a local childrens charity till he found out he took 20p out of every pound for himself

Eton College is a charity - just saying.

For me the word "charity" is nowadays a prompt for due diligence, as Scepticalist and others have done. The sector has some great exponents but also a lot of dodgy behaviour; Oxfam, Save the Children and Kids Company for example. There are many others which have high administrative charges, low donation percentages and CEOs on very healthy salaries.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    All of this type of thing go straight from the letterbox to the bin. I take a great deal of stuff to charity shops, especially when moving house as I'm about to do, and will continue to do so. I'll take them to those charity shops of my choosing that are legitimate.
    I'm the same, and with free newspapers.

I trained my son at a young age to put all newspapers in the recycling bin. Being an eager little boy, he grabbed a paper that had just fallen through the letterbox, and ran to the recycling bin to dispose of it.

The chap who delivered it was still on the driveway!

Master
    Just had one this morning, supporting the homeless in Norwich?????? From t'internet:-

"MTD CLOTHING LTD

Company number 14011566
    Follow this company File for this company

Company Overview for MTD CLOTHING LTD (14011566)
    Filing history for MTD CLOTHING LTD (14011566)
    People for MTD CLOTHING LTD (14011566)
    More for MTD CLOTHING LTD (14011566)

Officers
    Persons with significant control

Filter officers
    Filter officers
    Current officers
    Officers: 1 officer / 0 resignations
    POLUBINSKAJA, Natalija

Correspondence address
    29 Macdonald Road, Cromer, England, NR27 9AP

Role Active
    Director

Date of birth
    February 1987

Appointed on
    30 March 2022

Nationality
    Lithuanian

Country of residence
    England

Occupation
    Director"
    Address appears to be a B&B in Cromer!
    Last edited by tixntox; 28th April 2023 at 11:38.