closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New C Ward Release

New C Ward Release

Looks quite Genta ish. Looking forward to seeing it / them.

https://e.christopherward.co.uk/5P8Z...0C80BB/cr.aspx

I'm looking forward to seeing how differently they thought about a sharp-edged stainless steel sports watch with integrated bracelet. I predict the love child of a Tissot PRX and a Victorinox Inox with some vertical lines on the dial.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing how differently they thought about a sharp-edged stainless steel sports watch with integrated bracelet. I predict the love child of a Tissot PRX and a Victorinox Inox with some vertical lines on the dial.
    And the bezel from a Girard Perregaux Laureato.

Quote Originally Posted by neuman356 View Post
    And the bezel from a Girard Perregaux Laureato.
    It was really just the bezel from the Inox that I was thinking of, which is really just a beefy take of the one on the Laureato.

Master
    I am looking forward to seeing what it will look like, perhaps a bit Tudor north flag or Oris pro pilot titanium (smaller one)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    It was really just the bezel from the Inox that I was thinking of, which is really just a beefy take of the one on the Laureato.
    Ah! Sorry, didn't know.

Well it's released, looks a step up from the tissot's of the world - https://www.fratellowatches.com/intr...live-pictures/

That’s a Czapek Antarctique copy isn’t it?

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think that dial texture is a very successful interpretation of the logo, very cool.
    But for me, that is the highlight

CW make very good quality watches at extremely competitive price points. Their Sealander for example is superior to a Sinn 556i at nearly half the price. So, if you like this type of Watch style then this will give you an excellent option, but personally I’m not into these Genta designs so this isn’t for me.

Why twelve? I see they've made six notwithstanding the rubber option.

Oh, it's the sides of the case yes?

Anyway, not bad, not terrible, not for me, but nice if you like that sort of thing.

Master
    The dial texture is just not doing it for me at all. I’m not sure if it’s just the lighting in those shots, but it makes the dial look far too busy.. it’s hurting my eyes.
    Perhaps in real life it’s less noticeable… I hope so, because there’s a lot to like about what they’ve done with the rest of this watch. The matching date wheel for each dial colour is a nice touch.
    Last edited by gorrie; 27th April 2023 at 11:23.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Well it's released, looks a step up from the tissot's of the world - https://www.fratellowatches.com/intr...live-pictures/

And so it should for the price.

I quite like them, but I won't be buying one at new price.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    A plainer dial would have looked so much better IMO

They do make well made watches though

Huh, I really like it. Well, of course it's easy to like, it is pretty derivative of a lot of well-loved designs.

New C Ward Release

Huh, I really like it. Well, of course it's easy to like, it is pretty derivative of a lot of well-loved designs.
    Yeah that sums it up.

Nice enough looking watch, but their branding is terrible and in my experience (although a few years ago) their QC left quite a bit to be desired.

They unapologetically reference Genta, AP, and PP in the marketing blurb, even showing an illustration of a Royal Oak in one of the videos.

Despite one or two nice touches, I think this misses the mark, and as a fan of integrated bracelet designs, it's a 'meh' from me.

Master
    It's a no from me too but I'm happy to see them doing more watches and hope they continue well. I'm just not a fan of many integrated bracelet designs as they just seem very contrived and 1970s to me. I also think the dials are too busy.
    Hope it does well though.

Master
    That dial is truly horrible! (IMHO!).

I like it too, FWVLIW, and let's be objective - how many watches are not derivative of pre-existing designs?

Nice looking watch, but I don't like integrated bracelets 😐

I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

D
    It does have similarities.

Perhaps one of the design team for the Antarctique was also one of those involved with the design of the CW watch…

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

D

Yes but with a better execution of the bracelet case interface. Czapek is pitiful in that aspect.

Looks very VC to me.

TBH, they all kinda look like one another - but the Ti, if it isn't totally crap finished, seems like good value.

Out of this current crop, I like the Sartory Billard, but also a price bracket above the CW - https://sartory-billard.com/produit/sb07-bespoke/

Master
    The steel based watches dials look much less gaudy than the Ti versions. The light blue is very Grand Seiko and the white a bit VC.

I like it.

Master
    Clearly I am with the minority here but I really like it!
    The pattern on the dial is really smart and makes for some nice lighting effects. As said previously the case design is pretty similar to other options…
    However, the titanium version uses the sellita 300 which makes the watch less than 9mm thick. That is quite impressive for the price point.
    I will probably try to get my hands in one of them!

I think it's the nicest thing CW have released in a while. I particularly like the arctic dial version.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Clearly I am with the minority here but I really like it!
    The pattern on the dial is really smart and makes for some nice lighting effects. As said previously the case design is pretty similar to other options…
    However, the titanium version uses the sellita 300 which makes the watch less than 9mm thick. That is quite impressive for the price point.
    I will probably try to get my hands in one of them!
    Yes, I wonder how many saying they dislike the dial have just looked at the photos.

I saw this first on JOMW and it looks far better moving.

https://youtu.be/u7NSq5naSYM

My sole remaining CW is a Makaira 500, but it's outrageously accurate and very nicely finished when you look carefully.

That said, it was £275 new 8 years ago, so they're definitely playing in a different market now!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 27th April 2023 at 15:17.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yes, I wonder how many saying they dislike the dial have just looked at the photos.

I saw this first on JOMW and it looks far better moving.

https://youtu.be/u7NSq5naSYM

M
    You're right, the dial does look better in the metal but its still far too busy. Legibility is out the window for me, on this one.

I think the Nordic Blue will be a stunner in real life.

Master
    Based on first impressions I think they’ve done a good job with that one, I’ve seen a lot worse Genta-ish clones. Proportions are good, it’s reasonably thin. What’s different to the Genta inspirations though, is the relatively thin bezel, nothing like the AP with its industrial bezel and hex screws, or the Nautilus, Ingenieur, or (not actually Genta but clearly in the same category) Overseas. While this gives it a point of difference and emphasises the dial, it will also make it a pretty large wearing 40mm. Come to think of it, the blue dial Oysterquartz 17000 is much the same idea, but in much more wearable form, so I won’t be needing the CW! A good effort though, they seem to be going in a good direction having finally sorted out their branding.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Why twelve? I see they've made six notwithstanding the rubber option.

Oh, it's the sides of the case yes?

Anyway, not bad, not terrible, not for me, but nice if you like that sort of thing.
    Count the bezel, 12 sizes rather than the GP’s 8!

There is a lot to like with this watch. I also think the dial is excellent. It looks better in the titanium’s Fume colours rather than the steel colour option which look a little bland/washed out to me apart from the Nordic Blue.

The build quality will be miles ahead of Tissot and the movement is better as well, in the Titanium at least. I think CW are doing some excellent stuff for cracking value. If you want an integrated sports watch, good build quality and a decent bracelet without paying over £5k+ then is has to a winner.

For those of you claiming derivative, please change the record as every integrated sports watch is totally derivative of earlier Genta designs. I mean even the PP Nautilus is a derivative of the Royal Oak.

Just admit that CW are doing much better quality stuff for a very fair price price than they did in the past. They are doing a lot more than some of the Kickstarter brands that seem to get a lot of love here!

I really like that, not sure that style is for me but I'd quite like to try a ti version.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

For those of you claiming derivative, please change the record as every integrated sports watch is totally derivative of earlier Genta designs. I mean even the PP Nautilus is a derivative of the Royal Oak.

Just admit that CW are doing much better quality stuff for a very fair price price than they did in the past. They are doing a lot more than some of the Kickstarter brands that seem to get a lot of love here!
    Sorry, did I hurt your feelings? I'm the only one who said the word derivative, but I also said I liked it. I'm also a former owner of CW products and know they're good quality. You've got to admit though, the whole aesthetic is really played out right now, these things are a couple of years out of fashion already.

Master
    Having now watched the videos.. I’ll retract some of my dial comment. The lighter colours seem to not hurt my eyes. The others though, I’m still not sold on.

I have a strong dislike anything Genta derived, I dislike integrated bracelets and overly fussy dial textures, nor am I a fan of bright flashy dial colours… but I don’t hate this. I would not buy one, but I would like to see one in the metal.
    Chr. Ward is making some interesting watches recently.

Master
    I love the Genta-esque design, I even like the integrated bracelet but I hate those crown guards. Mt Tissot PRX is a lot nicer, aesthetically at least.

New C Ward Release

Sorry, did I hurt your feelings? I'm the only one who said the word derivative, but I also said I liked it. I'm also a former owner of CW products and know they're good quality. You've got to admit though, the whole aesthetic is really played out right now, these things are a couple of years out of fashion already.

Don’t worry, no hurt feelings here, just boredom. My comment’s context is broader than just your use of derivative! It is the need of some within the Forum to bash CW (or Bremont for that matter) without acknowledging any positives of either company. By all means dislike (or like) the watch but the same old complaining about the company just comes over as sour grapes.

Finally, yes, I agree there are many trends that are getting old in the watch world like turquoise dials. However, integrated sports watches now seem to be a fixture for most brands and whilst recently back in fashion to say that they are done is to ignore 50+ years of their heritage. It’s the same as getting annoyed at the next Pilot watch that get released!

Got to say, that titanium model with the purple dial has really grabbed my attention.

Master

New C Ward Release

I have put an order in for the titanium blue. Liked the fact that they made the rubber strap available with it on release as well!
    The colour matched date wheel is also an amazing touch, only a few companies ever bother even on much higher price points.
    Anything else with integrated bracelet on titanium is closer to the £10k mark…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I hate those crown guards.
    I didn't spot them until you mentioned but they spoil the case for me.

Overall another great offering from CW though. Hope they are a success.

I love the style of the watch and I love the integrated bracelet. I do like what they've tried to do with the dial but in the pictures it make my eyes hurt. May be it will be different in person but purely for the dial I wouldn't buy one.

I don't doubt the quality is fantastic for the money, and I know I'll be hated here for this comment but this just looks so lacking of any originality to me. My facebook feed seems to be filled with watches of similar design these days(mostly micros), although I suppose to be fair that's obviously for a reason as that's what sells.

The funny thing is I am and always have been a fan of seventies design, but just now it feels like it's being overdone and of course I do understand brands need to adopt and give their own takes on what is popular. I guess there just isn't much room left for original designs now, let's face it it's all been done before by now I suppose.

Anyway please don't hate me, just giving my thoughts.

The dial shown in the photo above is a bit OTT. Much, much nice in a calmer dial like the Glacier Blue.

Master
    As a review pointed out, this actually owes more to the Czapek Antarctique than the usual Genta suspects, leaving aside the twelve sided bezel.

Though the Czapek is available in a wearable 38.5mm version as well as the original 40.5mm, if you don't mind spending 20x the price!

https://monochrome-watches.com/czape...g-specs-price/

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    As a review pointed out, this actually owes more to the Czapek Antarctique than the usual Genta suspects, leaving aside the twelve sided bezel.

Though the Czapek is available in a wearable 38.5mm version as well as the original 40.5mm, if you don't mind spending 20x the price!

My initial thought was I would have preferred 38mm to 40mm. They are also releasing a 36mm in the summer - probably too small!

There are now quite a few real world pics on the Christopher Ward forum and it seems to wear better than I expected for the size. Apparently whilst the case is 40mm, it is only 38.5mm to the outer edge of the bezel.

The similarities to the Antarctique are understandable - the head of design at CW also does some design work for Czapek. CW initially started thinking about the concept for the Twelve in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

More of a copy and paste than owing more to be fair, just when CW had actually ventured out on their own and created their bel Canto (All be it the same movement is in their partner company Meistersinger) they revert back to form with this.

Its nice enough though and I actually prefer the look of the bracelet to the Czapek and the price is very good considering Maurice Lacroix and Frederique Constant have their "Tribute, homage" watches going for a lot more.