closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Xmas getaway?

Master

Xmas getaway?

I know, I know.
    It’s only bloody April and I’ve mentioned the word.
    Anyway I’ll continue, we’ve never been away for the festive period, ( if you can call it that ), but this year we’re going to do it, and have booked 3 nights in Cornwall at the Salcombe manor hotel, reasonably priced and all the food chucked in.
    Going forward I’d like to think I can convince swmbo to do this on a regular basis, she always felt guilty as it’s just her mum left now and, well, you know what I mean.
    Where do people go for there winter break, nice to have ideas for the future.
    Apologies again for the early mention of ####

Blog Entries
    Apology not accepted - come back in November!

Salcombe is a lovely place to visit, but not so sure I'd go in the December.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 15th April 2023 at 17:05.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Austria is becoming our regular December destination. The Xmas markets in Vienna are like something out of a childhood fantasy, and just a stunning city alround, I cannot recommend it enough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Apology not accepted - come back in November!

Salcombe is a lovely place to visit, but not so sure I'd go in the December.
    I usually ban the word in our household until December but these things have to be booked early to avoid disappointment, hence the post, but I understand where you’re coming from, lol.
    This is our maiden voyage so a learning curve that hopefully will bring some nice experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I usually ban the word in our household until December but these things have to be booked early to avoid disappointment, hence the post, but I understand where you’re coming from, lol.
    This is our maiden voyage so a learning curve that hopefully will bring some nice experiences
    But it's Xmas 2024 you're talking about!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Austria is becoming our regular December destination. The Xmas markets in Vienna are like something out of a childhood fantasy, and just a stunning city alround, I cannot recommend it enough.
    That sounds very nice, how do you find the travel at that time of year, do you go early to avoid the rush?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    But it's Xmas 2024 you're talking about!
    ??

??
    Understood you've booked Xmas this year and are looking suggestions for future years?

booked 3 nights in Cornwall at the Salcombe manor hotel
    If you get to Cornwall you've gone too far. Salcombe is Devon.
    As for Christmas, we've been to the Canary Islands the couple of years and has some great weather. This year Mrs wanting to go long haul, Dubai or Mexico.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    If you get to Cornwall you've gone too far. Salcombe is Devon.
    As for Christmas, we've been to the Canary Islands the couple of years and has some great weather. This year Mrs wanting to go long haul, Dubai or Mexico.
    You are so right, and it’s the salcombe harbour hotel, good job I’m not in charge of booking things 🙈😂👍

That sounds very nice, how do you find the travel at that time of year, do you go early to avoid the rush?

- - - Updated - - -

??
    Its not a bother really. We usually travel the second week of December and I am told the beginning of the month is a little quieter, but work commitments mean it's not an option. It really is a magic time to be in Vienna.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    My birthday is in early November and we're planing on going to Vienna, being somewhere where I've always wanted to go, but I don't have problem with early December to perhaps make it even more interesting/special. Any recommendations/tips? Thanks.

You are so right, and it’s the salcombe harbour hotel, good job I’m not in charge of booking things 
    A very good choice of hotel if I may say so, I've stayed in several Harbour Group hotels and they've always impressed. Although Harbour Salcombe Hotel is the closest one to us, we've not stayed there but have had lunch and dinner several times and all were very good.

Hope you enjoy it too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    If I time it right, I can leave my house and enter the Spanish place in 6.5 hours. I grew up in Newtown Abbot in Devon and even Salcombe isn't a patch on the Spanish place I live in. Devon suffers from an influx of Grockles and does not have the infra structure to cope, even at Christmas. My Brother lives down there and he never stops moaning about traffic jams. Devon was great back in the 1960s but it is like Venice, its popularity with tourists is killing it.

Master
    We've been away for ... (insert to C word if you must) a couple of times. It's Mrs Beanies birthday the week before so we have incorporated it into a holiday somewhere hot.
    Once you get over the guilt of bailing on the relatives, it's really quite relaxing not having to think about visiting etc and can just concentrate on the two of you.

Master
    Caribbean. We prefer Bonaire as we like to dive.

We went to Riva del Garda last Christmas to get away from having Christmas rammed down our throats for two months in UK. It was fantastic. Beautiful weather, Christmas markets and evening events for families ( kids well behaved). Cruise on lake Garda on Christmas Day, bars and cafes open. Won't ever stay in UK at Christmas again. Christmas in Italy seems to start about a week before the 25th and end soon afterwards as it should be.

We used to go away when our son was in infant school for 4-5 weeks from early december to early january. Did it for 10 years from 1996, spent in Sri-lanka.
    Flights were dirt cheap as we left before the christmas rush, and we used to book direct with the hotel and they gave us a special deal, $20 a night, breakfast only. We travelled around the Island and had our base at the hotel, Tangerine Beach/Royal palms.
    Christmas in the UK is expensive and pretty miserable and all over within 3 days, it worked out cheaper spending 5 weeks in Sri-Lanka :D

I went to Salcombe once and hated it.

Beautiful surrounding area and countryside, but the town itself is a perfect example of how outsider money can kill local communities. It was full of Hooray Henries and Henriettas and not a local accent to be heard because no one local can afford to live there.

I know it's the way of the world but I can still despise it.

I'm sure it's lovely really and you'll have the best Christmas ever

Craftsman
    We went to Paris Christmas just gone. Was proper ace, instead of eating loads of crap at home we ate like absolute kings there instead. Pissed as can be every night and came home Jan 1st.

One of the best breaks I’ve done.

Master
    I visited Annecy on the Swiss / French border just before Christmas on a business trip a few years ago and it was amazing. I plan on taking my family there at that time of year sometime in the next year or two.
    Also you fly in via Geneva so, you know, watches.
    Also Geneva Airport departures has the nicest smoking room I’ve ever been in at an airport. If you are that way inclined.

Craftsman
    If you happen to have young kids or grandchildren I’d recommend centre parcs, really good for a short get away not to far from home.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    NY booked for seven days to take my two grandkids just before Xmas in December.