closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting logo on Omega case

Craftsman

Interesting logo on Omega case

Just did the first strap change on my Speedmaster 57 and noticed this interesting little logo on the back of the 1 o'clock lug. Shows how closely I've looked at the case back up until now! Is this something common to all new cases?

Is this the newest Speedmaster 57 version with blue dial by any chance? Not sure about the logo but would appreciate your thoughts on the model vis-avis to wearability. I'm looking at this one but I'm worried the long and flat lugs make the watch look too big in comparison to a speedy pro.

Kind Regards,
    Catalin

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Master
    A lot of new omegas come with this feature.
    The intricate Ω graphic is there to make it difficult for counterfeiters to reproduce the cases with ease I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Inq24 View Post
    Is this the newest Speedmaster 57 version with blue dial by any chance? Not sure about the logo but would appreciate your thoughts on the model vis-avis to wearability. I'm looking at this one but I'm worried the long and flat lugs make the watch look too big in comparison to a speedy pro.

Kind Regards,
    Catalin
    Yep, that's the one. I've never had a pro so can't compare but I'm finding this one very wearable, even with what I consider to be fairly small wrists. 40mm is generally my top end but I loved the look of this one and the reduced thickness, together with a very slim and tapered bracelet made it a winner for me. Having said that, I'm just giving it a go on a leather strap. Here are a couple of photos comparing it with probably my most fit-and-forget daily watch, the Seiko solar compact, which is 38.5mm or 39mm depending on which specs you read. As an aside, one thing that's slightly surprised me about the 57 is just how legible it is. The hands (rhodium plated I think) just seem to reflect the light so well in all conditions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    A lot of new omegas come with this feature.
    The intricate Ω graphic is there to make it difficult for counterfeiters to reproduce the cases with ease I believe

Thanks. Yes, that was my first thought actually.

Although if you can make a convincing "replica" of the rest of the watch, I wouldn't have thought a little laser etching would be too hard? Perhaps it takes more sophisticated equipment than I'm imagining.

This is my Seamaster

Had it on my 2022 Speedmaster 3861. I assumed, like Ar.parask said, it was an engraved attempt at a hard to reproduce "hologram".

Omega have been doing this for a while. As said an attempt to make it more difficult for fakers.
    One thing I have noticed is the red dots on the case back seem to have disappeared.

Master
    It was apparently originally introduced in the early 2000s as a way for Omega to take Costco to court as they were selling grey market watches in a manner which Omega hq did not approve of. If forget the details but it wasn't really aimed at preventing faking, it isn't all that tricky to copy after all. It was more a copyright thing.
    Last edited by Padders; 10th April 2023 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    It was apparently originally introduced in the early 2000s as a way for Omega to take Costco to court as they were selling grey market watches in a manner which Omega hq did not approve of. If forget the details but it wasn't really aimed at preventing faking, it isn't all that tricky to copy after all. It was more a copyright thing.

Nothing to do with fakes.

Craftsman
    I second the prevailing view.. or third it.

I remember it coming out in the noughties. It began on the 2541/2531 era SMPs to the best of my knowledge. Similarly situated. Around the time they started to put a little red dot between the caseback and the case.

I’d always thought it was an additional anti counterfeiting measure. Hadn’t realised it was about catching a reseller out.