closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex warranty voided after opening caseback

Craftsman

Rolex warranty voided after opening caseback

Hello everyone,

Have a question around how Rolex knows if a watch caseback is opened (and hence voids the warranty of a watch). I’m asking because, sometimes when purchasing a watch, I’d like a watchmaker to take a look at the movement to verify everything is in order (unless there are ways to verify without opening the caseback, but I’m quite certain with super fakes/clones around, the only way is to open the watch).

And from speaking to a Rolex AD, this apparently voids the warranty. So my question is, what is the difference between a watchmaker/Rolex opening the caseback themselves? And how are they able to tell? Are they always able to tell, or does it depend on the watchmaker that opens the watch?

If you are that worried I would pass on the watch you are interested in and buy from someone reputable.

Other than any visual damage caused by the removal tool - or some internal evidence - then I say there's no way Rolex could tell.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Other than any visual damage caused by the removal tool - or some internal evidence - then I say there's no way Rolex could tell.

R
    I can't see how they'd know either. They don't use and seal or visible markings, unlike (say) Omega.

Grand Master

R
    Correct! However, they’re not the easiest caseback to open, a good quality caseback opener is essential to avoid leaving marks. When inspected under a strong loupe its quite common to see marks on the serrated surface.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    If you are that worried I would pass on the watch you are interested in and buy from someone reputable.
    You’d be surprised how many reputable dealers open casebacks to verify the authenticity of watches. When I’ve bought off dealers who have done this I’ve asked them to confirm (in writing) they will cover the warranty if Rolex deem it voided due to case back opening. Reputable dealers have no problems providing this. Very small risk that Rolex will know it has been opened, and it will ever need to go to them at all, but good to have the assurances just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
    This..

If a watchmaker opens caseback with correct tools and don't leave marks I don't see how would any manufacturer tell it's been opened. Unless they spray invisible dust after closing watch in factory, of course :)

DNA microdot technology + database of EXACT case back positions.

Does it explicitly say in the Rolex warranty documentation that removing the back voids that warranty?

Because if it doesn't, I don't see any way that Rolex could enforce that exclusion. I suspect that the AD was making things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    DNA microdot technology + database of EXACT case back positions.
    Close, but not quite.

Rolex own special gasket grease has embedded smart technology (like Smart Water, but greasier!).

It used to be that the tiny amount of air within the case had to match the Rolex HVAC records for day of manufacture, but technology has moved on...
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    ...Unless they spray invisible dust after closing watch in factory, of course :)
    Thanks for this, made me smile =)

Rolex warranty voided after opening caseback

Just look for the tiny footprints the Swiss elves leave in the Rolex fairy dust sprinkled into every Rolex in the magic factory

Craftsman
    So for those wondering, one of the reputable traders I’ve spoken to says there is a “case seal” of some sort that breaks when you open the case back, but it can be replaced when closing the case back and if done properly, won’t be noticed.

Only way you find out is when you send it into Rolex. I won’t be surprised if most of the watches that’s been to a trader already has the Rolex warranty voided without the current owner knowing.

Master
    Slightly off topic , how are Ebay verifiers completing their assessment if not by case back removal. I trust they have bought a few copies of Haywoods guides. :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    So for those wondering, one of the reputable traders I’ve spoken to says there is a “case seal” of some sort that breaks when you open the case back, but it can be replaced when closing the case back and if done properly, won’t be noticed.

Only way you find out is when you send it into Rolex. I won’t be surprised if most of the watches that’s been to a trader already has the Rolex warranty voided without the current owner knowing.
    They are telling you lies.

The case back has a seal yes, like all water resistant case backs, but it is not a tamper proof/evident seal.

Providing it was done by a competent watchmaker who checked the water resistance after and not the manager out the back with a case tool, Rolex will not know.

That's nonsense, seriously.

So how exactly would this seal work? Assuming it’s internal, as soon as you open the watch to check the seal, surely you’ve broken it again?? Confused

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I suspect that the AD was making things up.
    So you mean to say that the most reprehensible authorised dealers of any dealer network in any industry the world over, aren't being honest?

I would say I'm surprised, but given the incredibly poor reputation ADs have on here and watch forums across the planet, I'm most definitely not.

Do you think warranty will cover a drop? A week old Submariner fell on wooden floor. Crystal flat down from about a meter hight or so.

No dents at all. Absolutely no visual damage still like new, but it now runs about five minutes slow a day.

Will they know there’s been an impact and refuse warranty repair?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    So how exactly would this seal work? Assuming it’s internal, as soon as you open the watch to check the seal, surely you’ve broken it again?? Confused
    Schrödinger's seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Do you think warranty will cover a drop? A week old Submariner fell on wooden floor. Crystal flat down from about a meter hight or so.

No dents at all. Absolutely no visual damage still like new, but it now runs about five minutes slow a day.

Depending on damage inside they could know it’s had a serious knock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Depending on damage inside they could know it’s had a serious knock.
    Won’t mention I dropped it. And hopefully they will turn a blind eye considering the natural slowing down on those 3230 calibres.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's nonsense, seriously.
    Agree - complete fiction.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Really don’t think they would

I once lamped a Rolex off a door frame so hard it moved the cyclops off centre while running inside the house and when I told the AD and they not to say anything and just sent it back over warranty

New glass and service free of charge

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Really don’t think they would

I once lamped a Rolex off a door frame so hard it moved the cyclops off centre while running inside the house and when I told the AD and they not to say anything and just sent it back over warranty

New glass and service free of charge
    Good to know thanks. Watch stopped working now. Fully wound it at 10am. It had stopped at 6:30pm.

If RSC say anything I’ll remind them about the previous one they had to adjust like three times!

They’ll cover it. Had a mate who did far worse, dropped it on stone gym floor. Broke the crystal, lost the Pearl, watch running super irregularly. Repaired as new within a few weeks under warranty, no charge.

The king for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    They’ll cover it. Had a mate who did far worse, dropped it on stone gym floor. Broke the crystal, lost the Pearl, watch running super irregularly. Repaired as new within a few weeks under warranty, no charge.

The king for a reason.

The king of bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

The king for a reason.

Then he woke up.

Blog Entries

Depends if it is normal wear and tear or damage due to misuse, it’s excluded. Quote from the Rolex website about warranty cover.

The Rolex guarantee excludes normal wear-and-tear (notably the wear-and-tear of non-metal bracelets and straps), loss, theft, or damage due to misuse.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th April 2023 at 22:08.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Who is this “reputable trader”?
    He is either a fool or a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Who is this “reputable trader”?
    He is either a fool or a liar.
    Rolex types are usually both!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Then he woke up.

No warranty will cover you for ‘accidental damage’. It’s to cover manufacturing defects. Nothing else. And as a company Rolex aren’t exactly known for their cheap service costs and transparent pricing structure are they??

R
    My guess is they'll say that if a warranty claim looks expensive.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?