closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best 3rd party bracelet?

Best 3rd party bracelet?

I've tried various different bracelets and never seem to get on with them. The best one I've found so far is the Seiko Presage M0PF221J0 which I have on a SARX029. I like that it's not too thick/heavy (looking at you, Sinn) and has a bit of flex to it because each link is made from 5 independent pieces (unlike the more common partially polished Y-link style), and the clasp doesn't get in the way. Unfortunately it's very specific to that watch, so I can't just put it on something else.

I really like the MM300 ratchet mechanism as a way to adjust for wrist expansion during the day (especially in hot weather), but apart from that, I find it rather chunky. Fairly comfortable considering its bulk (being partially titanium probably helps with the weight), but too bulky to wear every day nonetheless.

I've tried a few different 3rd party bracelets of varying quality and even the best ones I've tried tend to have annoyances like sharp edges on the clasp, lack of micro-adjustment or some other problems.

Let's say I'm willing to spend in the region of £300 (but ideally less) for the a bracelet that looks good and is extremely comfortable, with no weird annoying niggles. Does anyone make such a thing? What's the best one you've found?

Master
    I've not tried but have been looking and forster get excellent reviews, uncle Seiko next, and zulu diver after that.

Strapcode have been my go to for Seiko bracelets. Their jubilee is brilliant as is their super engineer line of bracelets.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Is this intended to be used on just one watch, or on a few different ones? Any quirky lug-width requirements? Just wondering if a nice quality shark mesh may work?

https://www.watchgecko.com/collectio...ch-straps-mesh

Craftsman
    I don't know for what watche(s) you are looking at, but I think that the best bracelet I have had is a Christopher Ward one. They do sell them in 20 & 22mm lug widths, they are of good quality stainless steel and have a very nifty fine adjustment built into the clasp. Cheers, John B4

Which ones have you already tried ? I've had Strapcode and US aftermarket bracelets, both were good with the individual watches I bought them for, but they wouldn't have worked the other way round even if they'd fitted.
    The most comfortable bracelet I had was on a Tissot chrono, I think the current most comfortable is the Pelagos with the spring buckle.
    You mention sharp edges, actually every titanium bracelet I've worn has felt "sharp" at first, then the sensation disappears.

A couple of things to consider.
    What watch will to be used on? The shape and width of the end lugs is key here, will it fit the watch? Not every watch is identical obviously.
    Modern bracelets such as strap code tend to be less flexible than vintage, they are heavier and thicker, however some do have the micro adjust function in the clasp. (They tend not to suit smaller more vintage style watches IMO as they over power the watch head)
    Suppliers such as uncle seiko and Forstner tend to supply vintage inspired bracelets, they are lighter more flexible due to the old style construction such as rolled links and pressed clasps. The micro adjust is limited to the old style holes in the clasp.

Master
    I can only comment on a Strapcode which I bought for my SKX009. It is model specific for that watch, has nicely fitting SEL's. screwed links, I went for the clasp with 6 adjustment holes (this makes it a bit long, and in hindsight the shorter one would have done) and the brushed finish was excellent. It's a solid bit of kit that really does lift the feeling of quality of the watch. If you want a watch specific strap, then your usual suspects are probably Strapcode, Forstner (forstnerbands) and Uncle Seiko (now unlimited straps as per the thread on here)

Master
    It's a shame cw don't offer straight end link versions of their bracelets as they seem very good

To answer some questions -

I'm not bothered about any specific watch. I've got a few, with different lug sizes & shapes. I wouldn't mind having any one of them on a really comfortable bracelet. To that end I'm more interested in which are the best bracelets in general, than what's best for one specific watch. But broadly it's more likely to be a diver or something else toolish with a rotating bezel.

I might even consider trading a watch out for something with a really excellent bracelet, if it's good enough. No Rolex though. That's out of my range and I dislike the brand image.

I would like to find a bracelet for my Speedsonic, but one is quite niche, so I'm not expecting to find one.

In terms of what I've tried, they've all been bought over the course of a number of years and I can't remember offhand. I've been meaning to go through my straps drawer and make a list. I'll do that soon and update, but please keep the suggestions coming in the meantime - might be helpful information for others anyway.

I'd say mesh is a different thing and I do have a mesh I quite like. I forget the make, but it was cheaper than Staib. I'll check and maybe grab a photo of it.

In contrast to the OP, I find Sinn bracelets amongst the most comfortable I've experienced.

I have an Uncle Seiko beads of rice bracelet on my Speedmaster and that's pretty good, but I think that's down to the design of the BoR bracelet than specifically an US thing as the BoR on my Caribbean is also very comfortable.

I think bracelets are the most contentious types of wearing a watch when it comes to comfort. One person will find a specific bracelet on a specific watch very comfortable and another unwearable.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    In contrast to the OP, I find Sinn bracelets amongst the most comfortable I've experienced.
    Which one? I've got a 103 and the big problem is it's just ridiculously heavy. I think they are over-engineered in general, but I believe the 104 has an almost identical bracelet to the 103 except it's thinner. So that probably works better. I expect their titanium ones are better again because it's so much lighter than steel.

I currently have the H-link (although it's not on the watch at present). I originally ordered the fine link one, but ended up exchanging it for the H-link, which is slightly more comfortable. I definitely expected it to be the other way around.

The defining thing about Sinn bracelets for me is that they really are over-engineered - there's just no need for it. They could be about half the thickness and still be just as strong in practice. I'm not convinced screwed links are all that practical either. They have more chance of working themselves loose than a pin & collar.

But I digress. I definitely find a heavy bracelet less comfortable than a lighter one, all else being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Which one? I've got a 103 and the big problem is it's just ridiculously heavy. ...
    But I digress. I definitely find a heavy bracelet less comfortable than a lighter one, all else being equal.
    I've got a couple of 203s, had an EZM3 and have a EZM7S.

They all have a similar bracelet, but I've found them all very comfortable (and a lot of my other watches I've switched from bracelets to leather straps, so I'm not a big fan of bracelets generally).

I think Sinn bracelets (on these watches, at least) need to be pretty heavy to counter the heavy watch heads.

I guess it echoes my original point, one man's comfortable is another's unwearable.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I think Sinn bracelets (on these watches, at least) need to be pretty heavy to counter the heavy watch heads.

I guess it echoes my original point, one man's comfortable is another's unwearable.
    Yep, I agree with you there and there's definitely something to be said for balance in the comfort equation. Personally, if I take the Kemmner Octopus as an example, I wore that on a bracelet for a long time. I found it pretty comfortable but always noticed deep indentations in my wrists at the end of the day. I think over time I've got a lot more sensitised to that and just find it uncomfortable. Put it on rubber instead and it's like a whole different level of comfort. It is however, somewhat top heavy, since it weighs approximately 1.5 metric tonnes.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    It's a shame cw don't offer straight end link versions of their bracelets as they seem very good
    Especially as the latest version have screwed links. They basically admitted the at they copied the Rolex Oyster bracelet as best as they could.

I have no idea who is recommending Seiko bracelets. Even a £6k Grand Seiko has junk for a bracelet.

The CW at a fraction of the cost had a bracelet 10 times better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Especially as the latest version have screwed links. They basically admitted the at they copied the Rolex Oyster bracelet as best as they could.

I have no idea who is recommending Seiko bracelets. Even a £6k Grand Seiko has junk for a bracelet.

The CW at a fraction of the cost had a bracelet 10 times better.
    They do look good and I've read others saying they are good. I wonder if someone could alter end links to fit other watches? Well, if course anything is possible and a bit of laser welding here, some machining or grinding there, and a great fit is achieved. What I mean is, would it cost a silly amount!?

As for which bracelet is best, the oyster style is simple, slim and comfy if tapered well and the links curve. The rolex one is good but others are too.
    Generally smaller and more, more rounded links makes a comfier bracelet, so the classic speedy bracelet errr the 1570? , the rolex president and so on are comfy, and also the jubilee style. BoR with their multiple curved and small pieces are comfortable too.

Screws vs pins and collars ... both work. Both have draw backs.

Finishing quality is important and an otherwise good bracelet can be badly let down by a sharp edge or stiff links.

The clasp is a big factor to comfort and imv it is often here that seiko don't do well. Lack of adjustment, too bulky and cheap pressed steel doesn't make the grade any more. Rolex, omega and many others are now making fabulous clasps.