closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Regulated my '67 Glycine Combat

Regulated my '67 Glycine Combat

My recently acquired Glycine was running a few minutes fast so I popped open the back (compressor) and reset the regulator arm so now its only fast by seconds, not minutes. Much fun. It's an ETA 2472.

Master
    That's a really lovely piece that, and it looks very well made too. Nice to get it running better.

Craftsman
    Really nice piece, love the patina....

Agree its a very nice watch and the strap is an excellent pairing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Nice watch, looks to be in great condition.

Not too difficult to regulate, the little pointer and scale makes things easier, but you only have to move the pointer a tiny amount to get a significant change. On the later ETA movements (2824, 2892) 1 gradation equates to 6 secs/day, no idea what this one will equate to.

Here's tip: before making any adjustment, record the rate in the dial-up position when fully wound, simply run the watch for around 8hrs overnight. Then wear the watch for a full day after fully winding and record the rate 'on the wrist'. This figure will vary slightly due to activity and wear pattern. Calculate the overall rate based on 8rs dial up overnight (when the watch is taken off) and 16hrs on the wrist and work out how many seconds faster or slower it needs to run (I would aim for an overall figure of zero to +6, ideally +2 to +3). Now you know how much faster or slower the watch needs to run it's straightforward enough to make a small change and leave the watch running dial-up, you can work out what the target 'dial up' figure needs to be so there's no need to keep wearing the watch.

This is how I regulate watches, although instead of wearing for a day I put them on the cyclotester which rotates the watch slowly, the rate on the cyclotester should approximate to the rate 'on the wrist', it won't agree exactly but it'll be close.

To simplify matters, if a watch runs at around +5 dial up it's likely it'll give acceptable performance during everyday wear unless it's got issues.

That's really helpful, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    To simplify matters, if a watch runs at around +5 dial up it's likely it'll give acceptable performance during everyday wear unless it's got issues.

Good work Tom!

A very nice watch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nice watch, looks to be in great condition.

Not too difficult to regulate, the little pointer and scale makes things easier, but you only have to move the pointer a tiny amount to get a significant change. On the later ETA movements (2824, 2892) 1 gradation equates to 6 secs/day, no idea what this one will equate to.

Here's tip: before making any adjustment, record the rate in the dial-up position when fully wound, simply run the watch for around 8hrs overnight. Then wear the watch for a full day after fully winding and record the rate 'on the wrist'. This figure will vary slightly due to activity and wear pattern. Calculate the overall rate based on 8rs dial up overnight (when the watch is taken off) and 16hrs on the wrist and work out how many seconds faster or slower it needs to run (I would aim for an overall figure of zero to +6, ideally +2 to +3). Now you know how much faster or slower the watch needs to run it's straightforward enough to make a small change and leave the watch running dial-up, you can work out what the target 'dial up' figure needs to be so there's no need to keep wearing the watch.

This is how I regulate watches, although instead of wearing for a day I put them on the cyclotester which rotates the watch slowly, the rate on the cyclotester should approximate to the rate 'on the wrist', it won't agree exactly but it'll be close.

What a fantastic tip on how to make a minor adjustment to timekeeping Assume this is if the timekeeping is constant, I'm guessing if it's erratic then this would highlight a more significant issue and likely needs a service.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My recently acquired Glycine was running a few minutes fast ...
    Great work on a fab watch, I'm honestly impressed - but doesn't minutes fast suggest a magnetised hairspring?

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Great work on a fab watch, I'm honestly impressed - but doesn't minutes fast suggest a magnetised hairspring?
    Beats me. I just pushed on the arm until I got the results I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    ... I just pushed on the arm until I got the results I wanted.

Like so many good things!