closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solicitors grumble ….

Master
    Blog Entries

Solicitors grumble ….

Apologies to any solicitors here but …. Why do they never stick to their quotes?

I’m just doing a probate project and the fees are going to be over double the bottom end of the quote range.

The project has unfolded almost exactly to the brief we gave … yet we will be charged double.

I’ve used various solicitors for property work, wills and probate and always the final fee is way over.

I’ve tried different firms over the years, do they deliberately low ball the quote, or are they just poor at quoting?

I can’t think of any other example where quotes seem to go so wrong.
    Last edited by Montello; 16th March 2023 at 19:04.

I have always thought that a quote is a fixed price, ( unless new unknowns become apparent ) a estimate however is variable.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I have always thought that a quote is a fixed price, ( unless new unknowns become apparent ) a estimate however is variable.
    Quote is the process of giving an estimate I believe …

Point is the estimates are never accurate.

Going forwards I’m going to try getting them to offer a fixed price.

I have reviewed this post and my invoice for this service will be with the OP shortly,along with the invoice for producing the invoice, time affixing stamp, envelope, labour sealing envelope and time taken to move envelope across the office and admin fee for the admin to paid said envelope.

If you wish to challenge the invoice or delay payment a further invoice fee and interest charge at inflation plus overtime rate as this now outside office hours of 2 to 4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

A quote should be adhered to unless there are extenuating circumstances which allow for a slightly higher invoice. The point being that if it wasn’t binding, then people could quote to steal the work and then bill what they originally intended.

Double is bonkers.

As he said a quote is a binding price whereas an estimate isn't, at least that's my understanding.

Challenge them over it and tell them what you are willing to pay

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/public...or-a-solicitor

https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

They are no different from any other business but many shy away because they are 'legals'
    Last edited by TKH; 16th March 2023 at 18:07.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I could but then it just consumes more time. In this instance it makes no difference to me as most of the estate is going to charity. So their fee is only reducing the amount the charities get.

I have pulled them up and I just get the usual “it’s been more complicated than anticipated “ line.

Anyway, was just a grumble as I know I can’t/won’t do anything about it.
    Last edited by Montello; 16th March 2023 at 19:18.

Master
    So what if their quote was £100 and you said go ahead and it turned out they charged £100k-

As the money is going to charity, the solicitor has decided charity begins at home I think.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    As the money is going to charity, the solicitor has decided charity begins at home I think.
    Sounds like their business model for estates going to charity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I think this is it

I always assumed a quote was what you would have to pay, otherwise its an estimate surely?
    I have just completed probate for my mum who passed last year. Newbold Solicitors in Cwmbran "quoted" me a fixed price of £650 plus vat. That is exactly what I had to pay.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They quoted £10-15k. Overlooked to mention the VAT in the meeting and I had assumed it was included, although it is detailed in the engagement details.

At this rate in expecting not to have much change out £20k plus Vat.

Anyway, I’m putting it down to experience.

My wife did her dads probate herself.

Seems 1-5% of the estate is the standard fee.
    Last edited by Montello; 16th March 2023 at 19:03.

They quoted £10-15k. Overlooked to mention the VAT in the meeting and I had assumed it was included, although it is detailed in the engagement details.

At this rate in expecting not to have much change out of £30k.

Anyway, I’m putting it down to experience.

My wife did her dads probate herself.

Nothing to have stopped her doing similar for you and invoicing £15k on the estate - that would have been a bargain !

Sorry to hear of the issue. I’m not a legal professional but I’m pretty sure it’s against the law to quote to a consumer without including VAT.

All B2C quotes and advertising must be inclusive of mandatory costs, including VAT. This is why broadband companies who require a phone line aren’t able to price is as £broadband plus £phone. It must be one cost only as the phone line is not optional.

Rule 3.18 states: Quoted prices must include non-optional taxes, duties, fees and charges that apply to all or most buyers. However, VAT-exclusive prices may be given if all those to whom the price claim is clearly addressed pay no VAT or can recover VAT.

https://www.asa.org.uk/static/upload...4ba10ad1d2.pdf

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Nothing to have stopped her doing similar for you and invoicing £15k on the estate - that would have been a bargain !

As we are not probate professionals the charities wouldn’t have accepted us billing the estate for our time.

Fed up with the exhorbitant fees I ended up paying to my solicitor every time I used him I once asked if he'd answer two questions from me for a flat fee of £100.

'Of course I will dear boy' he replied 'and what's the second question?'

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sorry to hear of the issue. I’m not a legal professional but I’m pretty sure it’s against the law to quote to a consumer without including VAT.

All B2C quotes and advertising must be inclusive of mandatory costs, including VAT. This is why broadband companies who require a phone line aren’t able to price is as £broadband plus £phone. It must be one cost only as the phone line is not optional.

Rule 3.18 states: Quoted prices must include non-optional taxes, duties, fees and charges that apply to all or most buyers. However, VAT-exclusive prices may be given if all those to whom the price claim is clearly addressed pay no VAT or can recover VAT.

https://www.asa.org.uk/static/upload...4ba10ad1d2.pdf
    I have pointed this out. The terms of business which we signed detailed the VAT but I don’t recall them mentioning vat in our initial meetings

It’s all a bit emotional and I’m just frustrated that the project has got away from us.

Craftsman
    I don't think it's just solicitors who do this. I find there are some accountants that do this as well. There's always some excuse such as to 'why' the charge is higher than quoted (more work needed doing than expected is the usual one). It shouldn't be allowed in my opinion. I never charge my clients more than my quote and if I did I'd expect to be censured. It's unfair and it's bad business practice. Bordering on fraud.

Master
    When we quote it's a fixed price for specified work. If the work changes then we would charge more but if it's within the initial remit but more than we expected then that's our problem.
    I think that's generally how it works so would suggest in future, if you didn't on this occasion, that you ensure the quote is sufficiently detailed so that you can hold them to it and understand any additional charges outside of the initial work.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    When we quote it's a fixed price for specified work. If the work changes then we would charge more but if it's within the initial remit but more than we expected then that's our problem.
    I think that's generally how it works so would suggest in future, if you didn't on this occasion, that you ensure the quote is sufficiently detailed so that you can hold them to it and understand any additional charges outside of the initial work.
    Good advice.

In this case it was all a bit emotional and a verbal brief was given and hands shook.

Next time I will be giving a written brief and asking for a fixed fee quotation.

You live and learn.

Master
    I’ve used the same solicitors for years as did my parents. House purchases, divorce, anything legal.
    This last house purchase was abysmal. Not only did they drag it out for ages almost losing the property but they flubbed the final processing by submitting some paperwork late, and the. An it glitch meant it couldn’t be processed in the day. Eventually we moved in but nearly had to book hotels, storage and cattery.
    The cherry in the icing on the cake was them writing to me 3 months later informing me that they wanted an extra £700 off me as they had miscalculated the bill.
    I wanted to tell them to foxtrot Oscar but the wife is non confrontational so we paid up.
    Never using the shysters again though.

Sorry to hear about this, very frustrating. They should be able to identify the factors that lead to the uplift I would have thought.

For the sake of balance, I would add that lawyers and accountants are often, very often, nearly always, subject to scope expansion and unrealistic client expectations, so it goes both ways to be fair. (Not saying that's the case here obvs).

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

My understanding is that an estimate is literally just that, whereas a quote is binding unless the scope changes.

Solicitors AND Plumbers.....I've sh!t 'em

I’m an actuary and charge clients by the hour. We agree a scope of services/work beforehand with an agreed fee range.

If the work and associated fees are likely to be outside (more) than this initial agreement I go back to the client and discuss. If the initial scope was wrong (or more likely the project has grown) and more work is required then i again confirm what the extra work is and how much it is likely to cost.

If the scope agreed was right and I underestimated it then it’s my problem and I take it on the chin.

I simply wouldn’t keep clients if I just sprung them with unexpected bills.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My understanding is that an estimate is literally just that, whereas a quote is binding unless the scope changes.
    It's quite simple.

If someone gives you an estimate, that is all that it is, just an approximate cost to do something. In law it is meaningless. The final cost if you proceed could be higher or lower than the estimate. You could, as a separate issue insist that work stops once it hits a certain price as a precaution to avoid runaway costs.

A quote is a fixed price to do a job and that's it. If you are quoted say £100 to do a job, that is all it's going to cost you. The seller or tradesman could make or lose money and that is his risk. The law expects him to have enough expertise to quote a price and for him to stand by it. In an ideal world, the quote should be in writing as a deal sealed with a handshake without witnesses is a bit awkward.

The confusion arises when a dodgy person verbally quotes the price and then later claims it was an estimate and wants more money. So it comes back to buy the seller.

Master
    I’m not a fan of these people but they work on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis. Might be worth a try.

https://www.checkmylegalfees.com/about