closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My mothers datejust repair cost. Don’t want to tell her!

Craftsman

My mothers datejust repair cost. Don’t want to tell her!

So last weekend my mother asked me to sort the date out on her 28mm datejust, was out for a family meal.
    I noticed the crown wouldn’t engage the date wheel. Didn’t want to spoil her afternoon. The only way was to rotate the hour hand accordingly

Anyway the watch is 6 months over the 5 year warranty and to be fair she doesn’t wear it that often. I phoned up the AD and took for a repair estimate hoping for a goodwill gesture to sort it for her. The assistant managed to engage it but said it was difficult and they would send it away.

The quotes come today with the following, gulp. Not looking forward to telling her. She said I don’t fancy paying for a repair I can’t really see the date anyway.

The following work is deemed necessary:

A complete service £580.00
    A replacement crystal - existing is chipped and no longer protecting your watch against moisture ingress £115.00
    A replacement middle case - existing edge is heavily knocked/damaged at 9 O'clock, and the washer seating damaged £1050.00

The following work is deemed optional:

N/A

For an overall total of £1745.00

When the case middle is replaced your watch is issued with a new serial number, a letter from Rolex will be sent advising this information.

Master

Not sure what options you have other than telling her and it gets repaired or you get the watch back and she’s in the same position as she was before it got sent away. Or you pay for the repair as a Mother’s Day present!!

Sounds like it has been worn quite heavy if it needs a new case.

Previously I have found Rolex quite good when it comes to repairs outside of warranty. My mums Daytona was a year past it’s 2 year warranty period when the watch suddenly stopped working. Rolex, despite the multiple marks on the watch, repaired for free…although it didn’t need a new crystal or case as in the case of your mothers watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.jaye; 14th March 2023 at 20:01.

£1,745 for a new Rolex sounds OK to me...

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    £1,745 for a new Rolex sounds OK to me...
    Agreed. This is how I'd be looking at it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Other option is you get an independent to service the movement maybe?

Craftsman
    She must have really whacked it if the middle case is why the date wheel stopped engaging.

She won’t see it as £1745 for a new Rolex.

Any recommendations for independents that could service the movement

You know, for all this talk of tough tool watches for macho jobs like deepsea diving and adventuring, working on submarines and potholing/spelunking (what a stupid word?!?) in my experience nobody can smash a watch up like a lady! - my wife’s watch always looks like it’s been used as a hammer after a couple of years of daily wear, they get sprayed with hairspray, perfume, a bit of bleach, furniture polish, banged up against bracelets, getting the kids ready for school, taking things in and out of the oven, bashed against the basin and the taps - ok, I’m not being sexist as I know many of these jobs aren’t just things women do, and I can only really speak for my wife - but she just never takes her watch off, pays it no attention and as a result her watch takes a heap of abuse compared to mine. I’ve no idea how you whack a Rolex so hard the date change goes crazy and you need a new case (no idea what mid case is on a Rolex,
    It’s what I’d call the case) - and I’m guessing it’s a small size with even less chance of getting whacked than a sub or a seadweller. Forgive me if your mum is a WWF wrestler and works in construction - but somehow she’s managed to seriously damage an Oyster case with a bit of housework, dusting and light gardening!! Never let her borrow your car!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    You know, for all this talk of tough tool watches for macho jobs like deepsea diving and adventuring, working on submarines and potholing/spelunking (what a stupid word?!?) in my experience nobody can smash a watch up like a lady! - my wife’s watch always looks like it’s been used as a hammer after a couple of years of daily wear, they get sprayed with hairspray, perfume, a bit of bleach, furniture polish, banged up against bracelets, getting the kids ready for school, taking things in and out of the oven, bashed against the basin and the taps - ok, I’m not being sexist as I know many of these jobs aren’t just things women do, and I can only really speak for my wife - but she just never takes her watch off, pays it no attention and as a result her watch takes a heap of abuse compared to mine. I’ve no idea how you whack a Rolex so hard the date change goes crazy and you need a new case (no idea what mid case is on a Rolex,
    It’s what I’d call the case) - and I’m guessing it’s a small size with even less chance of getting whacked than a sub or a seadweller. Forgive me if your mum is a WWF wrestler and works in construction - but somehow she’s managed to seriously damage an Oyster case with a bit of housework, dusting and light gardening!! Never let her borrow your car!!
    Hilarious, but too true.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    True @ Robdad

OP did you notice significant case damage when you took it for a quote?

Tbh if the case is trashed then if its going to be used regularly it will need fixing.

Master
    Even Rolex main agents have noticed a recent phenomenon…..

Never before does it seem that Rolex so often demanded mid-cases be replaced. Now it is happening an awful lot. Hmmmmm.

Have it looked at by a good, independent watchmaker, Rolex-certified if you wish. Strangely, they regularly can see nothing wrong with the mid-case - but if it’s been to Rolex first, they will retain a note of what they had diagnosed.

^^ That seems rather fishy… but I had a similar (lower level) experience with a Tudor I sent back for a missing bezel insert.

Was told the bezel itself was irreparably bent and needed a new one, along with the insert.
    I disagreed (as knew for a fact it was not - long story) and had the watch returned to me.
    Sent it to William Rice, they confirmed absolutely nothing wrong - and fitted a new insert without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had my 42mm Explorer 2 serviced by Duncan, who is well known on this forum:

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/

I'd also recommend Olli, also a regular on this forum:

http://onatelier.co.uk/

I went to Duncan because my Explorer has already been back to Rolex twice within its warranty, once to sort out the hands going floppy and again to replace the dial after they left a mark in the centre (what looked suspiciously like an oily finger print) of the dial while repairing the hands. I trust Duncan and Olli completely. I don't trust Rolex.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I had my 42mm Explorer 2 serviced by Duncan, who is well known on this forum:

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/

I'd also recommend Olli, also a regular on this forum:

http://onatelier.co.uk/

I went to Duncan because my Explorer has already been back to Rolex twice within its warranty, once to sort out the hands going floppy and again to replace the dial after they left a mark in the centre (what looked suspiciously like an oily finger print) of the dial while repairing the hands. I trust Duncan and Olli completely. I don't trust Rolex.
    That doesn't sound good. Was that at Rolex St James or via an AD (I've yet to have on serviced so am clueless on this).

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    She must have really whacked it if the middle case is why the date wheel stopped engaging.

Mentioned a few times now on the forum, Century Watch Repairs. Great group https://www.centurywatchrepairs.co.uk/

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    So true! The other half has a Tudor that when looking at the watch, you would assume she's a bricklayer.

The new crystal doesn't seem too bad, the service pricey but to be expected at Rolex, and a new case bound to be a packet.

Amazing it need so much doing!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

jeez...Is Rolex steel softer than regular steel?

SydR
    Tell her and let her decide. It is her watch.

It may even make her be a little more careful with it in future.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    That doesn't sound good. Was that at Rolex St James or via an AD (I've yet to have on serviced so am clueless on this).
    St James.

OP: you have to understand Rolex will evaluate a watch based on making it look brand-new, with perfect water resistance. They don't want any old prole wandering round with one on their wrist, hence limiting supply and making it so hard to buy a sports Rolex. It may well be the watch is fine and an independent repairer can service and clean it up with no problems. And if they can't (if, for example, the parts aren't available outside Rolex) they can at least give you a second opinion on what needs replacing.
    "A man of little significance"

I would:
    • Get it back
    • Set the date
    • Give it 10-20 winds every morning

That way the date is already set when it needs to be worn.
    And it will only need a 24-hour adjustment at the end of 30-day months.

Grand Master
    Based on what the OP’s posted there are 3 separate issues.

The chipped crystal is obvious, but whether it compromises WR is debatable because it depends where it’s damaged, if it’s chipped on the edge I would say it is cosmetic damage only.

The quickset date function isn’t working. That could be due to damage to the date wheel teeth ( possibly through trying to quickset when the date is changing over close to 12?) or there is damage to the stem and pendant tube preventing the crown setting into the quickset position. OP hasn’t made this clear.

The case has some damage which potentially affects sealing. I assume this is where the caseback meets the case rather than where the bezel fits. However, for the mid- case to be scrap it would, in my opinion, need to be distorted and I would be v, surprised if that’s true.

Ideally the OP should discuss these points with someone at Rolex SC who can give a qualified technical explanation to justify their conclusions. OK, the watch has been battered a bit, but that doesn’t translate to a replacement mid-case!

It may be worth trying William Rice at Beverley, he’s semi- retired and no longer Rolex accredited but I feel sure he could help with this one. I was chatting to him recently so I know he’s still active in the watch world.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    I would:
    • Get it back
    • Set the date
    • Give it 10-20 winds every morning

That way the date is already set when it needs to be worn.
    And it will only need a 24-hour adjustment at the end of 30-day months.
    All that does is delay solving the problem, unlike grazed knees watches don’t heal themselves!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post

Speak to Duncan Potter at genesis, following inspection he will advise what is needed to resolve the date function and provide waterproofing without going over the top.

He can refurbish the case & bracelet, which sounds as if it is needed.

Grand Master
    Independent all the way.Like someone said your Mother wont see it as a new Rolex,She may infact see it as a huge amount of money that fed her family for several months many years ago.Rolex needs to be changed to Robin(g).

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    She may infact see it as a huge amount of money that fed her family for several months many years ago.
    I don't know what you eat, but that would feed us for many months NOW!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Oh I'd like to see some pics!

BUBI
    @porque.racing

Craftsman
    Ok so thanks for the input guys. A little twist to the story

I phoned mum that evening and broke the news that there won’t be a goodwill gesture repair. However there will be a bill of £1745 because of a damaged case. Waiting for an angry response her reply was, oh yes I hit it hard against the wall/door at home. So after explaining the quote she excepted what damage the impact may have caused.

So now dad’s called the house insurance and this is covered under accidental damage. Got to send the pictures in and hopefully just the excess to pay.

I never noticed this when she asked me to change the date. It was my daughter a few days later that took the watch to the AD for her.

Last edited by forest172; 17th March 2023 at 07:52.

Yep, forget SAS soldiers and heroic deep sea divers, Astronauts and Pilots, Everest climbers and crazy Free divers, Surfers and Sailors. Your mum will wreck a watch before any of them. The Rolex Mum-master - 3 inch thick Titanium-Carbide case, (not) coming to an AD near you soon! Oh, good news about the insurance

Master
    I can’t help feeling that most watchmakers would simply polish that out very effectively and get her back on the road with an uncompromised, water-tight and perfectly performing wristwatch, serving her as their client rather than making the most of an opportunity to charge for something whether it is really necessary or not.
    As for insurers paying, it is naive to think that means anyone other than you and the wider insured clientele.
    The winners here are Rolex.
    If they replace the mid-case, I would say it reduces the residual value of the watch by perhaps 10%. If you allow them to, would you please tell us what sort of case number they put on the new case?
    Thankyou.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 17th March 2023 at 23:49.

Master
    Some strength your mother has! Not a woman to be messed with. Good result if it’s covered by the insurance.