closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The great Seiko diver's. SLA055 Rubber strap on MM300?

Master

The great Seiko diver's. SLA055 Rubber strap on MM300?

Anyone used the rubber strap from the SLA055 on a 300m MM? I'm seriously considering buying one for my SBDX001.

It's not cheap, but I love the waffle texture. Is is silicone or rubber and does it feel like high quality?

This is my fifth MM300. Was a safe queen when I bought it a few weeks ago, but now it's already been diving with me. This time I'm going to hold on to it, that is unless Seiko re-introduces the MM300 with:

- Crown at exactly 4 o'clock
    - Replaceable crown tube
    - Everbrilliant steel
    - Bracelet from MM200 (with current clasp)

Then it would be perfect. But with 4K Euro watches being called 'great value' I like to think the MM300 is still a bit of a steal.

In the meantime, have a few photos for your viewing enjoyment :)

watch_11 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

watch_12 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

watch_13 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

watch_15 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

watch_16 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

Whilst I have not tried the SLA OEM Seiko strap
    I do have a couple of alternative options

Uncle Seiko Chocolate bar. It’s a bit thin but it is nice and soft

Degaz copy of the MM300 rubber strap. It’s softer and more flexible than the OEM but looks identical

Zulu Diver waffle, this is my preferred option. The strap is thick robust, soft and smells nice. It’s equal if not better than Seiko’s offerings IMO.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 14th March 2023 at 22:49.

Thanks Buddy, I'm glad you managed to pick up such a lovely example - and some great photos there. It still looks in great condition, I'll be interested to see how it bears up to daily life, including taking it on dives (i.e. how resilient even without the Diashield protection). [I have the SLA023, but pretty much baby mine, and I don't dive unfortunately.]

I'll follow the rubber strap responses with interest. I pretty much gave up trying to find a suitable rubber strap that comes in a shorter length (for a 6.75" wrist), takes 2.5mm fat springbars, and is supple / comfortable (compared to the awful default Seiko monstrosity).

A point of interest, I have an SLA023, the blue MM300. I wore it on a genuine (new) tropic until one day I stood at the front door, waving my kids off to school, and heard a nasty sound as the watch hit the paved path outside. The original spring bars were so tight in the strap one had popped out of the watch. I tried other spring bars from my spares box but need to try to find some that are both thin enough that they don't get stuck inside the Tropic but are thick enough at the ends to fit in the holes inside the lugs.

No idea if this is relevant to other rubber straps but my beloved (and I really do love it) SLA023 now has an ever so slightly damaged bezel just past the 12 mark. I stuck it back on the Erika's (with the original Seiko spring bars again) I used to wear it on and so far it hasn't come off. At least if it does, the other spring bar will hold it in place.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    A point of interest, I have an SLA023, the blue MM300. I wore it on a genuine (new) tropic until one day I stood at the front door, waving my kids off to school, and heard a nasty sound as the watch hit the paved path outside. The original spring bars were so tight in the strap one had popped out of the watch. I tried other spring bars from my spares box but need to try to find some that are both thin enough that they don't get stuck inside the Tropic but are thick enough at the ends to fit in the holes inside the lugs.

No idea if this is relevant to other rubber straps but my beloved (and I really do love it) SLA023 now has an ever so slightly damaged bezel just past the 12 mark. I stuck it back on the Erika's (with the original Seiko spring bars again) I used to wear it on and so far it hasn't come off. At least if it does, the other spring bar will hold it in place.
    AM skinny-fat seiko springbars are a thing. Watch gecko used to sell them. Probably still do

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    AM skinny-fat seiko springbars are a thing. Watch gecko used to sell them. Probably still do
    The WG link for the skinny fat Seiko bars no longer works, but someone will sell them (1.1mm tips, 2mm body).

P.S. eBay have some: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195183361118
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 15th March 2023 at 03:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Degaz copy of the MM300 rubber strap. It’s softer and more flexible than the OEM but looks identical
    I'll second this, great straps.

Journeyman
    I've been wearing my MM300 on the Zulu diver for the last year or so, can definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Thank you, I had no idea!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    The WG link for the skinny fat Seiko bars no longer works, but someone will sell them (1.1mm tips, 2mm body).

P.S. eBay have some: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195183361118
    And thank you for this, I've bought some
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Some nice options for sure, but I prefer OEM Rubber straps.

My only non OEM is the Bonetto Cinturini 284. I wear it on my Golden Tuna all the time. Takes fat spring bars no problem too. Since that watch is light, the flexible and pliable strap works well with it. On my Emperor Tuna, it lets it flop too much, so I use the stiffer (and perhaps stronger) DAL1BP.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Some nice options for sure, but I prefer OEM Rubber straps.

My only non OEM is the Bonetto Cinturini 284. I wear it on my Golden Tuna all the time. Takes fat spring bars no problem too. Since that watch is light, the flexible and pliable strap works well with it. On my Emperor Tuna, it lets it flop too much, so I use the stiffer (and perhaps stronger) DAL1BP.
    For what it’s worth, Zulu diver straps are made by Bonetto Cinturini. They are identical. No issues with the watch head moving with the ZD strap I posted below.

BC / ZD are OEM for many many Swiss brands

Great strap, great watch!

High quality, comfortable, pliable and a good fit for my 6.75 inch wrist.

Last edited by Rocket Man; 16th March 2023 at 10:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    For what it’s worth, Zulu diver straps are made by Bonetto Cinturini. They are identical. No issues with the watch head moving with the ZD strap I posted below.

BC / ZD are OEM for many many Swiss brands
    Oh ok? They are? You learn something new everyday :)

PS: Does the Zulu Diver Waffle take Seiko fat spring bars?
    Last edited by buddy13; 16th March 2023 at 11:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Great strap, great watch!

High quality, comfortable, pliable and a good fit for my 6.75 inch wrist.

Thanks for this! Now I will have to get one :). I'm a 6.75 inch wrist myself.

You're welcome!

How much do Seiko charge for them separately?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 16th March 2023 at 11:17.

Craftsman
    Absolutely love my SLA047 which I was fortunate to buy from here. Believe it or not my first ever Seiko!
    One of the few watches that I've had the urge to buy multiple straps for.
    Tried it on a cheaper Buckle and Stitch waffle which was surprisingly nice for the price.
    Also Crafter Blue is very good as it gives you the adjustability of the OE clasp.
    But tbh my favourite is the green OE strap, it's a really nice strap.
    I've now ordered a ZD gray 284.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Master
    I wear mine on a ZULUDIVER 270 Italian Rubber.
    It is so good I bought another as a back up for when it wears out, 8 months of heavy use and it is still doing the business.
    P.S. Great watch !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app