closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BBC HD, what’s going on ?

BBC HD, what’s going on ?

After many years of “we cannot show regional programmes…etc, please switch to 101 or channel 1”
    The beeb have recently amalgamated BBC1 to include your regional news and programming.
    However, it’s terrible !
    The 6 o‘clock news seems to start in standard definition switch to HD after the intro the revert back as the weather is on.
    Also seems to switch during the news at times as well.
    Some outside broadcasting and reports look to be in UHD others look like they’ve been filmed with someone’s phone.
    How hard can it be…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just cannot believe in this day and age BBC cannot show local news in HD. I always watch ITV Central far better than auntie beeb anyway.

Move to Scotland - you'll never want to watch local news (embarrassingly basic / dumbed down, and largely irrelevant - to me anyway - maybe targeted to the typical SNP voter).

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Move to Scotland - you'll never want to watch local news (embarrassingly basic / dumbed down, and largely irrelevant - to me anyway - maybe targeted to the typical SNP voter).
    I live for Polly Bartlett's segments.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I live for Polly Bartlett's segments.
    She considers herself a 'serious journalist', apparently. Oh well...
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    She considers herself a 'serious journalist', apparently. Oh well...
    I really don't understand her role, she's clearly not being groomed for better things. A job replacing Kelly-Jo-Anne-Marie Woodland behind the desk is but a pipe dream for her.

Master
    BBC ? It's a total joke in every respect. Most of the "News" is speculation. The programmes are trying to be so politically correct, that they all seem to include every possible (name any current whim). Everything seems to be done "on the cheap", using the same people (almost incestuos)! If it's free, send an outside broadcast unit to film it! Television just seems to be a brainwashing service these days (do this, buy that, love this, hate that). Watching grass grow is far more entertaining, free and if your eyesight is OK, you don't need HD to appreciate it. Switch off your telly, put down your phone and enjoy nature (and listening to the ticking of your watches of course!).

Master
    BBC news has become laughable. Warning before most news items just in case anyone gets offended or hears something that may upset them.
    And I agree the changes which were unannounced and the SD HD mix, joke and aren’t worthy of the licence payers money

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    BBC ? It's a total joke in every respect. Most of the "News" is speculation. The programmes are trying to be so politically correct, that they all seem to include every possible (name any current whim). Everything seems to be done "on the cheap", using the same people (almost incestuos)! If it's free, send an outside broadcast unit to film it! Television just seems to be a brainwashing service these days (do this, buy that, love this, hate that). Watching grass grow is far more entertaining, free and if your eyesight is OK, you don't need HD to appreciate it. Switch off your telly, put down your phone and enjoy nature (and listening to the ticking of your watches of course!).
    ........and pop over to TZ on your computer for all the latest news/scandal/speculation/BS/Barbour jackets you can endure instead hahahah

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Just cannot believe in this day and age BBC cannot show local news in HD.
    Give 'em a chance, it's only been around 18 years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    After many years of “we cannot show regional programmes…etc, please switch to 101 or channel 1”
    The beeb have recently amalgamated BBC1 to include your regional news and programming.
    However, it’s terrible !
    The 6 o‘clock news seems to start in standard definition switch to HD after the intro the revert back as the weather is on.
    Also seems to switch during the news at times as well.
    Some outside broadcasting and reports look to be in UHD others look like they’ve been filmed with someone’s phone.
    How hard can it be…
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Give 'em a chance, it's only been around 18 years.
    Really? Don't get me started on this............

The elderly in law's are convinced that TV channels are numbered 1 - 3 with the newfangled 4 & 5 occasionally checked on. Using 101, 102, etc will cause the electricity meter to emulate a jet engine's r.p.m. "Can you not see how much clearer the picture is?" Mother in Law replies " No! "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I really don't understand her role, she's clearly not being groomed for better things. A job replacing Kelly-Jo-Anne-Marie Woodland behind the desk is but a pipe dream for her.
    Not unlike Emma Cameron with that stick on smile that never slips, even when she talks.

Master
    Given that there are clearly some experts in national broadcast infrastructure posting on this thread can you please put forward your proposals for how the HD Regions changeover should have been implemented?

HD or not HD, that is not the problem. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the blatant left wing bias and dumbing down of the BBC news, or to take your viewing to ITV, and by opposing subject thyself to waton sensationalisation. No more; and by a peep elsewhere, end the heart-ache! And with a thousand natural shocks assign viewing loyalty to Channel 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Given that there are clearly some experts in national broadcast infrastructure posting on this thread can you please put forward your proposals for how the HD Regions changeover should have been implemented?
    I’m not professing any expertise and can’t really see who is,
    What I’m saying is they’ve put HD on to the regional channels and some programmes aren’t in HD, so why bother.
    Watch the 6’oclock news on 101, the intro is in standard definition.
    When it starts proper they flick the “HD lens on” button.
    Halfway thru the weather it gets turned off.
    The following regional news is like looking thru opaque glass.

WTF?
    ITV have managed it for years…

Master
    What I’m saying is they’ve put HD on to the regional channels and some programmes aren’t in HD, so why bother.

WTF?
    The difference is ITV don't have twelve English Regions, three more more for Wales Scotland & Ireland & then assorted dross like Alba & BBC 2 Ireland. Before the Regions could go HD a lot of the regional studios had to be upgraded from SD to HD which takes time & money.

Added to the complication is that this now has to be done on three platfroms: Terrestrial, Satellite & internet streaming. To distribute regional HD news would have needed leasing roughly 12 additional HD satellite transponders & that's not cheap. Then add in the fact that there are a (very) small number of viewers who can't get Terrestrial HD & you'd have had to make the decision to disenfrachise them.

The BBC has to try & serve everyone; ITV don't really care if they miss a few. Following the Central Apparatus Room incident at White City which took out a lot of the channnels being played out from there the BBC were back running from the DR site in a very short time. Some of the independent channels were still without subtitles weeks/months later.

Craftsman

WTF?
    Sounds like a problem with the continuity suite that puts the news studio on air, and later switches to the local news.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    The difference is ITV don't have twelve English Regions, three more more for Wales Scotland & Ireland & then assorted dross like Alba & BBC 2 Ireland...<snip>
    I thought ITV PLC owns 13 of the 15 UK terrestrial TV franchises, including S4C, UTV, ITV Channel Isles & ITV Breakfast. STV own the 2 Scottish ones.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master
    Can’t say it bothers me whether I watch news programmes in HD or not. HD’s definitely better for sport, but about it for me.

As a fan of the BBC I have to smile at the beeb-bashers. Absence of advertisements is a huge plus too.

Master
    ...... and Gary has finally got a yellow card but walked off with half the team before the match ends! HD ?

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk