closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Volunteer days

Volunteer days

Hi, my work are offering two paid days for me to do some volunteering. Im struggling to think of something worthwhile to do.
    Anyone else here have the same opportunity and what sort of thing are you doing
    Thanks
    Andy

I always take a half day 4x per year and give blood.

Usually volunteering in your own time allows you to take the time back so if you gave blood (or anything else) on the weekend you can still take the time during the work week.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Hi, my work are offering two paid days for me to do some volunteering. Im struggling to think of something worthwhile to do.
    Anyone else here have the same opportunity and what sort of thing are you doing
    Thanks
    Andy
    My workplace offers the same. Local community pages on Facebook and similar often have requests for volunteering so worth looking in places like this. I've done: teaching woodland survival skills, shelter building and fire making to kids (Brilliant day. The bit they were most excited about - building and using an outdoor toilet!); part renovated a community hall; cleared an unkempt garden area for the same community hall etc.

Craftsman
    How about litter picking? Depending on whereabouts you’re based, you could get to go to some different places or nice beaches etc?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Say where you are located someone local maybe able to suggest somewhere.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

Master
    Contact your Parish or local Council who are always looking for volunteers to help tidy up fields or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I always take a half day 4x per year and give blood.

Usually volunteering in your own time allows you to take the time back so if you gave blood (or anything else) on the weekend you can still take the time during the work week.
    Half day to give blood??? Clearly more complicated in London, 1.5h including travel up in Scotland man!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I am a trustee for a local charity. The Trust is responsible for some historic buildings and getting them fixed up and open to the public. They take as much of my time as I can spare. Usually I can manage a couple of days a month. Some Trustees (mainly the retired ones) give more, some give less.
    My skill set is IT, so I was able to help them with all aspects of that and help out with Operations type duties.

Maybe have a look at what is local for you.

Master
    During the summer we volunteer at a local archaeological dig, tiny trowels are provided! Otherwise we sort donations for local hospice shop.

We get a day a year.

Last year was very enjoyable. I took people round Goodwood race circuit in my car in aid of The Children's Trust.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    We get a day a year.

Last year was very enjoyable. I took people round Goodwood race circuit in my car in aid of The Children's Trust.
    Do you need a co-pilot haha. That’s a great idea.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions

Master
    We get 7 days a year...
    I look for team activities like ..
    - Local food bank
    - Animal Rescue centres
    - Forestry commission.
    - Old folks home help - painting etc.
    - Schools - STEM talks, career guidance, practise interviews, smaller kids - reading groups
    - Best of all is we do WellChild garden make over - 2 days activity with about 20 people per day.
    - Support for Ukraine - organising collections..

Master
    I work with a bunch called Inspiring the Future, going in to schools, talking about my job, running mock interviews and the like.

Feels good to do.

Local Cub Scout groups are always in need and appreciative of some extra hands. Premises usually need some fixing, or store rooms sorting out, boats painting etc. If you need a contact or want to join me just drop me a pm.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Half day to give blood??? Clearly more complicated in London, 1.5h including travel up in Scotland man!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    London traffic and they leave you sitting half an hour before the nurse even comes to talk to you!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I clean the village hall once a month, help with Cub group (May need DBS checking) and help with local park run (marshal, time keeping, results scanning), and manning RBL stand selling poppies in a November - gets me 3 days additional holiday for activities I’d be doing anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    We get a day a year.

I get a day too. Sounds a great way to spend it - but never having been on a track, would require some trusting people to sit next to me!

Master
    London traffic and they leave you sitting half an hour before the nurse even comes to talk to you!
    That’s London for you. Airbus near Chester in and out in less than 40 mins that includes a pint of orange a coffee and a choccy biscuit:)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That’s London for you. Airbus near Chester in and out in less than 40 mins that includes a pint of orange a coffee and a choccy biscuit:)
    The highlight for me is always the club orange bar after. It’s a sad day when they only have kitkats left.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    No hot drinks for us, thought they'd been banned - maybe different in Wales?

Master
    The highlight for me is always the club orange bar after. It’s a sad day when they only have kitkats left.
    Not had a club in years. Hope you still eat the chunkier bits of chocolate off first?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    How about litter picking? Depending on whereabouts you’re based, you could get to go to some different places or nice beaches etc?

I praise those who do this,but I couldnt do it knowing the very next day its as bad again.

Demoralising......

Ones I have been involved with mostly consist of woodland maintenance, for local National Trust properties and local "Friends of" groups associated with local parkland areas.
    I also do my own mini "Wood for Good" scheme, where I supply some of my friends with cut and seasoned firewood, and they pay a "reduced from commercial price" sum direct to their own choice of charity. I get fit, they get heated and the charity get paid, win win win.

It seems to me that providing some of your own services in return for charitable donation would work in any event. That way you get to do what you choose to (and are good at)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

It seems to me that providing some of your own services in return for charitable donation would work in any event. That way you get to do what you choose to (and are good at)
    Wouldn't be allowed in our scheme - we have to volunteer for a registered charity (or have "charitable status" e.g. a school). It depends how rigourous the person at the company running the scheme is.

Thanks everyone, some really good ideas.
    I’ve checked our scheme and I have the choice of either the company charity, a third party one or something off my own back.

My wife used to lead an activities team in a local care home for the elderly. She recruited volunteers ….. what skill set have you got ? If you can play the piano and can sing a bit then the residents love a music afternoon. Or they sometimes had games afternoons when some old fellow would like a game of chess or table tennis. Makes a big impact

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=P9CLY;6170787]I praise those who do this,but I couldnt do it knowing the very next day its as bad again.

Demoralising......

The standards we walk past and ignore are the standards we set.

I’m a sighted guide for Guide Dogs.
    Taking out a visually impaired person on a regular basis whilst they wait for a partnership with a guide dog.
    Giving them a bit of independence, exercise, companionship and the chance to learn routes which they will be expected to do when paired with a dog.
    I’m partnered with a lovely guy who lost his sight virtually overnight to diabetic retinopathy at 39.
    We go out walking once a week for a few hours, into town, along the river, local touristy sights, that sort of thing.
    We’ve even been to see his team West Brom a few times.
    It’s incredibly rewarding and he sent me a card at Christmas telling me how I had genuinely changed his life.
    From a recluse to someone who can’t wait to get back out and at it.
    Very humbling.
    Work give me half a day a month time off in lieu.
    Covid had a massive affect on the breeding and training program of guide dogs. Stopping both overnight.
    Both programmes are back up and running but waits for a partnership at the moment are two to three years.
    You may have seen recently on the news about the shortage of volunteers.
    They’re in need of Puppy raisers and fosterers too if you want a dog in your life.

I have been a regular volunteer at a children's charity for over 6 years now. This all started because of such days. At the time my employer gave 5 days a year. I requested to leave early/block late Wednesday afternoons every week such that I could commit to the charity.

The charity needs me from about 4pm. It's not that early to leave the office/desk, but my employers commitment to this was essential in my ongoing commitment.

I've been doing this almost weekly since. It's one of the best things I do.