closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Inheritance, Probate and Tenants in Common question

Craftsman

Inheritance, Probate and Tenants in Common question

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of the application for probate process regarding questions about the estate?

Basically, my parents' house is split between them 50/50 as tenants in common. Their house has a value of £220,000, there are no other assets and have been no gifts and there are no debts.

My father has recently passed away and I am filling in the gov.uk probate form.

The first question asks 'What is the total gross value of all assets like property, money and gifts in the last 7 years before taking off any debts?' - Here I don't know whether I should put £220,000 or the value of my father's half, ie, £110,000?

The next question - 'What is the net qualifying value?' and says 'Take off from the net value any assets passed to spouse or civil partner and money left to a charity'. This question is what makes me want to put £220,000 in the first question and £110,000 in the second question. Am I correct or should I put £110,000 for both?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd say £110,000 for first question then take off £110,000 (presumably left to your Mother) to give net qualifying value of £0.

I'd say ask the advice of a solicitor rather than a watch forum !

The deceased person’s estate holds the half share so that is what should be shown.

Note also that you would normally expect a discount because a sale of half a house won’t fetch 50% of the house’s total value- see here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...nual/ihtm15072

You should definitely seek advice on this.

Inheritance, Probate and Tenants in Common question

Unless there’s a lot more to the estate will be well under IHT threshold anyway (re. <50%).
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 24th February 2023 at 21:21.

Craftsman
    Thanks all. There is no more to the estate than stated. Agreed that a solicitor would sort it, but the estate is very simple and it seems daft to spend several thousand just to get past this question. I did not want to get the form wrong and have it rejected. I just thought that there possibly was a helpful and knowledgeable chap on here who would be happy to chip in.

In the past I've found calling them to be very helpful, they understood and explained to me what I needed to know, while the forms are daunting it's all pretty straight forward.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'd say £110,000 for first question then take off £110,000 (presumably left to your Mother) to give net qualifying value of £0.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Porky View Post
    ....and it seems daft to spend several thousand just to get past this question. I did not want to get the form wrong and have it rejected.
    Sorry I can't help with your original question, but I am in the process of getting grant of probate for my mum who passed last year and aside from the registration fee the solicitors are charging a flat rate of £650 plus vat. Its roughly £1100 total including the vat and the registration fee so it won't be several thousand if that's any help.

I did my Mother’s very recently and solicitor quoted £1100 + VAT + the probate fee. Anything more complicated would be £250/hour. Others might be happy paying this for a fairly simple task but I wasn’t.
    Found the valuations etc to be far more time consuming TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I did my Mother’s very recently and solicitor quoted £1100 + VAT + the probate fee. Anything more complicated would be £250/hour. Others might be happy paying this for a fairly simple task but I wasn’t.
    Found the valuations etc to be far more time consuming TBH.
    Blimey, that is expensive, not a flat rate either.

We were quoted 1% of the estate so £1100 quote seems pretty cheap

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just to add, there is a good chance that your parents also drew up wills at the same time which they just left with the solicitor for safe keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Just to add, there is a good chance that your parents also drew up wills at the same time which they just left with the solicitor for safe keeping.
    Presumably his Mother would know this.