closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Skoda Kamiq

Craftsman

Skoda Kamiq

Hi All

My 75 year old FIL is looking for a final new (to him) car and he likes the slightly higher driving positions, he currently has a Skoda Octavia (this would be the 5th family Skoda that we have had)

Looking at a Skoda Kamiq TSi se 1.0litre

Just wondered if anyone had any real world experience good or bad

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

J3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience, but the Kamiq is tiny. It's the smallest of Skoda's 3 SUV's, about Fabia size, so a big change from an Octavia.
    I have an Octavia estate now and have a Kodiaq arriving next week, which is the big one. Then there's the Karoq in the middle

Craftsman
    Yes, it’s defiantly smaller

But he lives inside the ULEZ zone and is future proofing (rightly or wrongly) the chance that all diesels will get banned in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    But he lives inside the ULEZ zone and is future proofing (rightly or wrongly) the chance that all cars will get banned in the near future

FTFY

Craftsman

Skoda Kamiq

Lol, I think your 100% right

Not sure if we are allowed politics in here so

OK, so long as he's ok with the down size. Has he sat in one? Reviews i've seen state it has a "hatchback like driving position" or "Doesn’t offer an SUV driving position the looks suggest it has"

Wife had that 1L engine in a Scala, which is about the same weight as a Kamiq and while no sports car, was actually OK, so i'm sure that will be fine in a Kamiq for town driving

In-laws and the same age neighbours bought a Karoq

Lovely car and worth maybe looking at one of those

Craftsman
    I think the size is ok, but we may need to look at the Karooq if not

He’s set on Skoda which is no bad thing

I test drove the Karoq with my father in law before they bought it and we both had a good go. The app is a bit pants but who’s going to use an app for a normal car?

I had to drive it briefly the other day and it put my Model 3 to shame. Better lights, more comfortable, sunroof opens. No bad thing being set on a Skoda.

Craftsman
    Just had a 3 hour car journey and done a bit of digging

I’m now thinking that the Karoq could be a better option for him

Journeyman
    My wife had one. Really nice car. 1 litre engine 125bhp plenty of go in it. Decent room in the back - my son is 6 foot - plenty of legroom. Boot not massive though. Overall had it 3 years from new and a great car.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

They’re much bigger in the back and boot than something like a Ford Puma. I got close to ordering one a few months ago but was told it was an 18 month + wait for a new one!!

I had one for a couple of days as a courtesy car, top of the range, had everything.

I thought it was great, comfortable, pretty quick and would have been big enough for us.

Not sure it has the high driving position that some of the bigger models do.

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Just had a 3 hour car journey and done a bit of digging

I’m now thinking that the Karoq could be a better option for him

Big fans of the KAROQ here.

Master
    Something we don't know is how your father wants to use the car: is it just for him or does he regularly have 3 or four passengers? If 99% of the time it's just one or two people in the car then SUVs can be a bit of a disappointment.

The Kamiq seat height isn't that different from an Octavia & the Karoq is certainly better for getting in & out of but the boot is not particularly large, especially coming from an Octavia: I had a Mondeo before my Karoq & I'm not impressed with the boot space. Yes you can roll the rear seats forward or even remove them entirely but that's the sort of trick you need twice a year when taking one of the kids to university, not every week when you have been to Wickes or the garden center. Cars like the Karoq are biased towards cabin space not the boot & if you're not driving 4 up most of the time it can be the wrong compromise.

Look at the Puma as well as the Kamiq & the Kuga as well as the Karoq.
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-ren...verdict/n21460
    https://www.whatcar.com/make/ford/ku...ersions?id=n57

Avoid the 19" & 18" wheels on the Karoq as well as the ride is very poor/poor. The Karoq is ok, but I'm still looking for a car with better rear seat to boot ratio.

Kinda think if you´re weekly to Wickes or the garden centre then an estate or possibly a van´s more apt to fulfil the brief. I can see your point, sort´ve re boot space vis a vis the Karoq though personally I´ve never struggled...there´s usually an assortment of beach gear...toys, kite, towels, collapsible chair, living in the back of our un but I can still get a weeks shop in there no issues at all... as you say it´s horses for courses which is a good point, in our case, the wife´s hip replacement meant the easier in- out because of the height was a major selling point for us with this style vehicle.
    Last edited by Passenger; 25th February 2023 at 14:35.

I bought a new Kamiq last month. To me the driving position is quite high but I have been used to driving a Yaris which may explain why I think this.

Boot space is enough for our needs but not as big as an Octavia

It feels spacious inside and I have no complaints so far.

I bought an 'in stock' car - it was the spec I wanted and 2nd colour choice. Went to see it on a Sunday and picked it up the following Thursday.

Master
    I recently hired a Kamiq for a long weekend trip to Scotland whilst in between cars. Family of 4 including 2 teenage kids, we managed to squeeze in our luggage (plus an impromptu shopping trip at Gretna which mostly ended up on the parcel shelf!) Coming from a diesel Honda CRV I really enjoyed it, was not disappointed at all by the 1.0tsi even on the motorway. No complaints from the passengers either, although it would be too small for us long term as a family (we've ended up with a Dacia Jogger, but that's a different story!) I could definitely live with one once the kids have flown the nest.

I hired it from VWFS and picked it up at the local Skoda dealership, with very reasonable pricing so could be worth hiring one for a day or 2 to see how he gets on with it?

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies

Just to update, for the time being he’s staying with the Octavia

The decision was made that the change was for the sake of change only, and funds could be better spent elsewhere

I’m sure this will be revisited in 3/4 weeks……