closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: German Watches

German Watches

As I've built my watch collection I've focussed on Swiss brands, however I've just seen a beautiful (new old stock) Glashutte Original Panomatic Lunar with a silver dial. I've done some reseach and they appear to be a respected luxury manufacturer but obviously not at the same level as Lange and Sohne in terms of qualty or price!!

It's a somewhat unconventional design for me with the main dial and sub seconds offset to the left but balanced by a moonphase complcation and large date on the right. The exhibition back shows the beautifully crafted movement with engravings and features. The design is so differnt but classy with it (imo) and Im convined its not something I'd fall out with over time.

There's a lot of reviews including this particular watch all of which are pretty cimplimentary especially regarding the quality on offer at the price point. I was just wondering if anyone has any first hand ownership experience of the brand before I pull the trigger.

I'd welcome any views on this potential purchse, its not for an invsestment and know it wont likely hold its value comparted to the like of Rolex or Omega, its a watch I will be wearing and admire the craftsmanship that gone into its creation,

Make sure it's not going to need a service soon.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master
    I've owned a number of GOs and currently have 2 - a Seventies non chrono with blue dial & a Sport Evo.

Imho they are excellent quality for the price point and comparable with many of their big name competitors, with some nice features such as the bracelet micro adjustments that exceed those found in Rolex or similar. Found them to be bullet proof from a time keeping or other maintenance issues myself.

Bought the Seventies new & i wouldn't describe them as an investment though!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Great watches, beautifully built but this is some sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    I've owned a number of GOs and currently have 2 - a Seventies non chrono with blue dial & a Sport Evo.

Imho they are excellent quality for the price point and comparable with many of their big name competitors, with some nice features such as the bracelet micro adjustments that exceed those found in Rolex or similar. Found them to be bullet proof from a time keeping or other maintenance issues myself.

Bought the Seventies new & i wouldn't describe them as an investment though!

Alex
    Thanks appreciate the comments - I'm not looking at it as an investment just as a quality watch I can admire and enjoy wearing

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Thanks - yes a good point - It will be serviced at the time of purchase and comes with a warrenty

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
    Thanks appreciate the comments - I'm not looking at it as an investment just as a quality watch I can admire and enjoy wearing
    It's refreshing to read this, amidst the torrents of guff regarding residuals, futures etc etc ad nauseam. I hope you find a good example to enjoy.
    F.T.F.A.

I think your reasons for buying a Panomatic are excellent. I'm not a current or past owner, but I do love GO watches, as well as other German watches with a similar feel such as Nomos, as well as independents such as Dornbluth, Hentschel and Kudoke. Maybe they are not Lange, but the more you spend, the more it becomes marginal gains. I've looked at Lange's Glashutte competitor MG, and nice as they are I can't see where the money has gone. I think GO sit in quite a sweet-spot in terms of price and quality , and are vastly more interesting such as mainstream Swiss competitors such as JLC.

I don't know what servicing costs are, but they are likely to be in the same ballpark as anything else you could get at similar money. If the watch speaks to you, and why wouldn't it, it will be great.

Dave

This is the one I'm on the hunt for. Unfortunately they are 40mm now.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

42mm of goodness.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I think your reasons for buying a Panomatic are excellent. I'm not a current or past owner, but I do love GO watches, as well as other German watches with a similar feel such as Nomos, as well as independents such as Dornbluth, Hentschel and Kudoke. Maybe they are not Lange, but the more you spend, the more it becomes marginal gains. I've looked at Lange's Glashutte competitor MG, and nice as they are I can't see where the money has gone. I think GO sit in quite a sweet-spot in terms of price and quality , and are vastly more interesting such as mainstream Swiss competitors such as JLC.

I don't know what servicing costs are, but they are likely to be in the same ballpark as anything else you could get at similar money. If the watch speaks to you, and why wouldn't it, it will be great.

Dave
    As the owner of three MGs (and no Lange pieces) -- IMHO, MG finishing is at least the equal of Lange (I love the 'hand made hands' for example, which AFAIK do not feature with Lange) but the designs 'stir my soul' in a way that the simply-too-sterile Lange designs fail to. I particularly like the gorgeous 'shrunk-pocket-watch' movements.

In terms of quality for the money, I agree wholeheartedly about GO -- which is why I own a Sport-Evo, a Senator, a PanoReserve and a PanoMatic Lunar -- and wear them all frequently.

What I have found with both MG and GO (and also with Dornblüth) is that customer service is excellent -- even if you bought the watch used. They seem genuinely interested in the people who own their pieces.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    As the owner of three MGs (and no Lange pieces) -- IMHO, MG finishing is at least the equal of Lange (I love the 'hand made hands' for example, which AFAIK do not feature with Lange) but the designs 'stir my soul' in a way that the simply-too-sterile Lange designs fail to. I particularly like the gorgeous 'shrunk-pocket-watch' movements.

In terms of quality for the money, I agree wholeheartedly about GO -- which is why I own a Sport-Evo, a Senator, a PanoReserve and a PanoMatic Lunar -- and wear them all frequently.

What I have found with both MG and GO (and also with Dornblüth) is that customer service is excellent -- even if you bought the watch used. They seem genuinely interested in the people who own their pieces.
    I was just admiring your Benu on the Friday thread and its the hands that lift the watch to another level. I did not realise they were hand made but it really shows.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I was just admiring your Benu on the Friday thread and its the hands that lift the watch to another level. I did not realise they were hand made but it really shows.
    They really do make them in sets. Fascinating to watch.

Not sure if you've seen this post but makes for a nice read.
    I've become a bit infatuated with the GO Seventies.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Always liked the go sixties square. Love the colours really have the vintage look. Always struggles to find one for sale though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

German Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    As the owner of three MGs (and no Lange pieces) -- IMHO, MG finishing is at least the equal of Lange

I love all your collection of German watches, they are just brilliant.

I know you are a fan of MG, and there is no doubt that the sheer finesse of their hand finishing really is way above the others, Lange included.

The Benu that you have is now €45000 Euro via their boutique. Lange is the well known luxury brand from Glashütte so is a comparison standard, much in the way that Rolex is in its segment. I haven’t followed MG long enough to know how it’s prices have evolved, but the current MRP is pretty ambitious at that level, if Lange is the comparison.

Another thing with the Glashütte plate design that all these brands have is that it doesn’t give the opportunities for intricate anglage in the way that a brand like Gronefeld delivers. Lang & Heyne are in Dresden, but have shunned the 3/4 plate design in favour of multiple bridges. Now I don’t really care about internal angle anglage, but it does create a value question as pricing leaves Lange behind.

They are beautiful watches

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I love all your collection of German watches, they are just brilliant.

I know you are a fan of MG, and there is no doubt that the sheer finesse of their hand finishing really is way above the others, Lange included.

The Benu that you have is now €45000 Euro via their boutique. Lange is the well known luxury brand from Glashütte so is a comparison standard, much in the way that Rolex is in its segment. I haven’t followed MG long enough to know how it’s prices have evolved, but the current MRP is pretty ambitious at that level, if Lange is the comparison.

Another thing with the Glashütte plate design that all these brands have is that it doesn’t give the opportunities for intricate anglage in the way that a brand like Gronefeld delivers. Lang & Heyne are in Dresden, but have shunned the 3/4 plate design in favour of multiple bridges. Now I don’t really care about internal angle anglage, but it does create a value question as pricing leaves Lange behind.

They are beautiful watches

Dave

Dave, you are quite correct. When a humble watch starts to cost the price of a half-decent car (or ventures further into the realm of a house) you have to question the sanity of this hobby.

I take the view that watches are jewellery -- in fact, the only jewellery I like. So, I tend to buy what pleases my eye and my soul (hence no Lange pieces). I find the Glashütte three-quarter plate an elegant solution -- in line with the slightly ascetic ethos of the overall design of the area. I have talked to Lang & Heyne a bit, and will take up their invitation to visit next time I'm in Saxony, but I find their offerings a bit showy (both front and back). If I want show from a German maker, I have only to look at my Benzinger . . . . .

You are absolutely correct about recent MRP inflation -- during Covid MG put their list up by an unconscionable 30+%. However, I have bought all three of mine used -- which is huge mitigation. Luckily, as I have only ever sold two pieces, "value retention" is not something I think about -- I try simply to buy well.

To illustrate my point about customer service, the last time I was in Glashütte, MG gave my Benu a comprehensive 'look over' for me. Including the replacement of the case-back screws and a regulation check, the bill was €0.00.

David

Master
    That's nice to read.

I've never bought a watch with the thought of what it'll be worth when I sell it. I always buy them because I like them, whether budget or pricier. It's a hobby and a pleasure for me.

I love the Panomatic Lunar, so beautiful and elegant.

I like many of GO's watches and think they look beautifully made, but those ones with the tiny dial are an absolute hate for me. The Panoinverse above being the worst offender in my opinion.

I guess they're a bit like the CW Bel Canto in that actual function is secondary to design, but whenever I see one they set my teeth on edge!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 25th February 2023 at 11:40.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Thanks for all the comments guys - after weighing everything up I completed the purchase yesterday - delighted that I did its a stunning timepiece - calling it a watch doesn't seem to do it justice

Thanks for all the comments guys - after weighing everything up I completed the purchase yesterday - delighted that I did its a stunning timepiece - calling it a watch doesn't seem to do it justice
    Wonderful. It’s a masterpiece IMO.

THought I should add some picture so you can see what I'm so excited about

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...vuBwY25evU-GFY