closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rucksack suggestions

Master
    Bumping the thread to ask for recommendations on holiday rucksacks.
    Mainly will be carrying a load of stuff that the kids may need during a day and water bottles, snacks, etc.
    Capacity wise, maybe slightly bigger than the average work backpack.
    Most important, needs good shoulder straps for support so that the weight can be distributed properly. I am guessing a hiking type may be a better option, although doesn't need to be too overkill.

Any recommendations?

Am very happy with Osprey Talon 33. Transformed with the water bladder which means I can take 2 litres of water and maintains its balance. Having just looked at prices they seem to have doubled from a couple of years ago !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I have a Tumi Alpha slim, bought in 2008. I've used it every day and its done hundreds of flights. It still looks almost like new. I broke a zipper puller a while back, emailed Tumi and they apologized and sent me a pack of 10 new zipper pullers. I think I will never need to buy a new backpack.
    I'd expect that for the amount of money they cost.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I have a Tumi Alpha slim, bought in 2008. I've used it every day and its done hundreds of flights. It still looks almost like new. I broke a zipper puller a while back, emailed Tumi and they apologized and sent me a pack of 10 new zipper pullers. I think I will never need to buy a new backpack.
    I have a Eurohike bought for a tenner, 15 years ago.

It has been all around the world with me and on other multiple trips many times each year.

Still going strong.

Master
    I’m liking the videos of the Maus packs, having been a fan of the phone cases. Throwing it out of a helicopter with a MacBook in caught my attention!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worth checking out Thule. I’ve got eight or nine of their bags, even just bought their baby change bag.

Other options available but these two look half decent.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/backpack...-34l-_-3204022

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/backpack...-40l-_-3203722

Master
    Thanks for the recommendations all. Will do some more research. I like the look of the Osprey.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Worth checking out Thule. I’ve got eight or nine of their bags, even just bought their baby change bag.

Other options available but these two look half decent.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/backpack...-34l-_-3204022

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/backpack...-40l-_-3203722
    Is it just me, or are those shoulder straps quite thin / narrow...meaning weight will be targetted on a smaller area?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations all. Will do some more research. I like the look of the Osprey.

Is it just me, or are those shoulder straps quite thin / narrow...meaning weight will be targetted on a smaller area?
    Weird. All of these are Thule apart from the bottom left which is Dell. Purple is my wife’s for comparison - female backpacks have thinner straps. Top left is unisex.

Bottom middle is brand new and the straps seem an easy-link thinner than the Dell. Bottom right is years old and a bit wider.

Osprey are meant to be really good but I haven’t bought one of those. Most places will have free returns

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Weird. All of these are Thule apart from the bottom left which is Dell. Purple is my wife’s for comparison - female backpacks have thinner straps. Top left is unisex.

Bottom middle is brand new and the straps seem an easy-link thinner than the Dell. Bottom right is years old and a bit wider.

Osprey are meant to be really good but I haven’t bought one of those. Most places will have free returns

Blimey. So you collect Rolex and Backpacks, what a combo!

I feel the need to visit a shop where I can try a few on and pick one. I wonder if those places still exist!

Thanks for the pictures, they are helpful.

And please admit, the purple is really yours too for when you are feeling particularly brave.

Craftsman
    I used a Crumpler rucksack daily for about 20 years, commuting into London -- they don't make my particular model any more, but I would probably go to them if I needed a new one.

-- Tim

Blimey. So you collect Rolex and Backpacks, what a combo!

I feel the need to visit a shop where I can try a few on and pick one. I wonder if those places still exist!

Thanks for the pictures, they are helpful.

And please admit, the purple is really yours too for when you are feeling particularly brave.
    Doubtful re seeing them in person but Covent Garden is probably a good bet with all the camping/hiking stores. I ordered the baby changing backpack from their website direct, couldn’t find a UK stockist.

All the backpacks and the £12 dell bags gets used the most.

Master

Millican are no longer in business, which is a shame.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’d not realised that. I love my Oli bag, might have to pick a spare one up as backup.

Having just googled, it seems they are allegedly 40% off from some retailers at £55 and I’m sure I paid half of that previously. Ouch.

Master
    I have two Millican Fraser 18l packs in moss green that I bought in sales a few years ago. They remain unused. I have enough packs already to last a lifetime.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    My daily is a 25l Smith pack but we've numerous different ones in the 'family' with a few tucked away from a sale a while back (mostly Frasers and Olis). I'd definitely look at other makes as they're not perfect but they are very good in terms of multi use (walking and cycling), pockets and well made. We've 3 of their older army canvas sacks that have been very well used and still going strong after 15 years but with a lot of 'patina' .

Master
    I think I am going to go for an Osprey Farpoint 40. Probably overkill. Would have loved to see one in person but cannot find any shops with them in stock nearby. So amazon it is.
    Hopefully it isn't outrageously big in real life.

I think I am going to go for an Osprey Farpoint 40. Probably overkill. Would have loved to see one in person but cannot find any shops with them in stock nearby. So amazon it is.
    Hopefully it isn't outrageously big in real life.
    It's not outrageously big. If you intend to carry a laptop in it, make sure you're getting the newer (this year's?) version, where the laptop compartment is in the back. In the previous version, which I had, it was rather inconveniently placed towards the front, basically inside the main compartment's flap.

I don't know about the new one, but the previous one was available in M and F versions; the M one had two sizes: L/M and S (?) if I remember their notation correctly. The smaller one's capacity was something like 38L rather than 40 and I went for that one (to make sure the size didn't exceed carry-on luggage allowance), but that was a mistake -- if you're tall/big, you'll probably want the bigger one.

I had a quick scroll through the thread and I don’t think I saw anyone suggest Dakine. Personally I wouldn’t pick anything else. I have had a few and they are almost indestructible, I have only upgraded for size from 25l to 33l. But I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Master
    No idea which version. Just the ones on Amazon.
    When you say back vs front. Does back mean closer to your back?

Will give it a go and see how we get on.
    Which colour do you have? Trying to figure out grey vs black!

My knowledge and experience of backpacks is limited, though I have found that adding a chest trap (joining the shoulder straps) is a revelation for my comfort. I've now adapted a simple webbing strap with clip and use it on my daily backpack.

No idea which version. Just the ones on Amazon.
    When you say back vs front. Does back mean closer to your back?

Will give it a go and see how we get on.
    Which colour do you have? Trying to figure out grey vs black!
    Yes, back = the back of the rucksack = closer to your back. That's where I want to have the laptop compartment.

The colour I had was Volcanic Grey with bright green (or yellow?) interior. Actually, I still have pics from when I was selling it:

If you're like me that is the version that you DON'T want, but from what I see on Amazon UK, only the new ones (ie the good ones) come up -- they're described as one size (O/S) and with a 'direct access laptop sleeve'.
    Last edited by rodia77; 28th July 2023 at 22:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Yes, back = the back of the rucksack = closer to your back. That's where I want to have the laptop compartment.

The colour I had was Volcanic Grey with bright green (or yellow?) interior. Actually, I still have pics from when I was selling it:

If you're like me that is the version that you DON'T want, but from what I see on Amazon UK, only the new ones come up -- they're described as one size (O/S) and with a 'direct access laptop sleeve'.
    Yes I think they must be the new one then.
    Will give it a go I guess.

Hello

I’m not sure if Millican have gone for good, on the website it says they are going to relaunch with new products etc. Hopefully not, I have a few of their bags and like them a lot.

Best,

Ben