closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing a mattress

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I subscribe to Which and they reckon the mattress sold by Ikea is by far the best and it sells at a low price.

It’s actually about the 15th best rated mattress on Which. Although by far the best for its price point.

The Eve Premium Hybrid are rated the best by Which, and I have them in three bed rooms - they are ok, but I prefer my older Silent zoned mattress with built in memory foam topper; and the best night sleep I’ve had recently was on a Sealy Teramo / Nostromo mattress (I had to enquire as it was that nice) at a friend’s place - it felt that good I’m planning on buying one for my main bedroom.
    It's just a matter of time...

Any mattress in the 'few hundred pounds' category will last only a few years maximum and will slump over time, no matter how comfortable it is to start with.

We have a silentnight pocket sprung double in our spare room, and we sleep on Vi-Spring at ten times the cost. I can honestly say from a comfort perspective both a comfy as each other. But the silentnight gets barely any use.

You sleep in your bed 8 hours per night, every night. And by the time your bed also becomes your private internet chamber, the 8 hours becomes 10 hours.

That is where you notice the quality difference. I have no doubt our Vi-Spring will last the full 30 years for which they are now guaranteed, whereas a cheaper mattress will simply sag fairly quickly.

A quality pocket sprung mattress will ensure you and your partner sleep without any impact on each other (whether you want that or not, fnar, fnar).

I can be a right old tight arse sometimes, but one life lesson I have learned is buy the best mattress you can afford and match it with a good quality mattress topper. We have had our Vi-spring 8 years now, and with a good mattress protector it is as good as the day we bought it, and supremely comfortable.

It baffles me why someone would spennd £3.5k on a modest Tudor watch, and £300 on their mattress they spend one third of their life on.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Master
    Vi spring for us too. Costs 5 figures but will last with comfort for 20 years. Our old one did.

Five figures? For a mattress? How the other half sleep 😴

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Vi spring for us too. Costs 5 figures but will last with comfort for 20 years. Our old one did.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Five figures? For a mattress? How the other half sleep 😴
    Lot of very wealthy folk on here as the 'What do you drive thread' testifies. But over a certain amount of spend, the law of diminshing returns applies.

Nobody needs to change their mattress immediately, and hence there is no rush to pay RRP.

Our Vi-spring was about £3k RRP back in 2014, and we picked it up for half that in John Lewis as an unused customer return.

You can probably add 50% on to that cost now, but it is amongst the best money I have ever spent.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

It baffles me why someone would spennd £3.5k on a modest Tudor watch, and £300 on their mattress they spend one third of their life on.

You mean I could sleep on the floor and then have a nice watch - that’s an easy choice for me 😁

Id rather change my mattresses every 8-10 years, than think about using any long guarantee though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Might be too late. We are using our second nectar mattress. Really comfy. Need to let it air for a week then off you go. Massive no quibbles returns policy too.

Choosing a mattress

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Id rather change my mattresses every 8-10 years, than think about using any long guarantee though.
    It is not about the guarantee.

It is about the consistent quality and comfort you get for those 8-10 years, rather than a product degrading quickly over time.

I think of it like my 14 year old trouble free Volvo V70 that I drive

Craftsman

Mattress

We just changed ours 6 weeks ago. I got a Leesa bed-in-a-box mattress 6 years ago. Enjoyed it for the first 3 years and less so after that. Seems to lose support and started to sag a bit despite regular 180 degree rotations. In the meantime Leesa ceased trading in the UK. So have a few other bed-in-box brands. My first and last time with foam. Did quite lot of reading and got quite alot of useful info on pocket sprung mattresses from the John Ryan website. I ended buying one from The Original Bed Company, the Juno Cashmere in Superking size. Made in UK and lots of natural materials. It weighs a tonne and smelled initially of sheep and horses but that's now gone and I'm delighted with the mattress. It gives good support (I got it in medium, my wife and I are of average height and build) and the best thing is the temperature regulation. Spot on all night. I actually go to bed earlier now just to sleep in it! Only downside is the difficulty in flipping it over as it is so heavy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Five figures? For a mattress? How the other half sleep 
    Not really. The cost includes zip and link frames too + the 6foot wide headboard. Better value over the years than a Rolex etc don’t you think?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Very happy with our John Ryan By Design.
    We got one from here a few months ago, it’s the best mattress I’ve ever had by far. All the natural wool, hemp etc did smell a bit farmy for a while but it soon went

Master
    We need a new bed and mattress so did a search here and found this thread - lots of different recommendations to consider :-)

We sleep on a £2k Vi-spring.

The £280 silentnight we bought in Argos and have on our spare bed is just as comfortable.

Remarkable value for such a cheap mattress and read the 5 star reviews.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5541887?gbraid=0AAAAAD9II9n_rw0eqXwnKFzCLJPnNI_Qk& istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=ixwliwixx&istBid=t&&cmpid=G S001&_$ja=tsid:59157%7Cacid:844-913-7556%7Ccid:16779432608%7Cagid:133077902577%7Ctid:p la-886037585223%7Ccrid:591039237510%7Cnw:u%7Crnd:1246 8545139865450638%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:%7Cmt:%7Cloc:100715 6&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16 779432608&utm_term=5541887&utm_content=shopping&ut m_custom1=133077902577&utm_custom2=844-913-7556&GPDP=true&gbraid=0AAAAAD9II9n_rw0eqXwnKFzCLJP nNI_Qk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgtzrss6p_QIVS-rtCh0kMgOfEAQYASABEgJrl_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    We put this on top of our Vi-spring mattress and found complete perfection. I am sure it would do the same for other mattresses. Best £100+ I have ever spent.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis...opper/p1519431

Master
    We put this on top of our Vi-spring mattress and found complete perfection. I am sure it would do the same for other mattresses. Best £100+ I have ever spent.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis...opper/p1519431
    Is that still worth getting with decent new mattresses? Say something like tempur, igel, posturepedic etc?

Well it was definitely worth it for our £2k Vi-Spring, and that was the sale price when we bought it in 2016.

It changed it from a very comfortable bed to an uber-comfortable bed, for just an additional 5% cost of the mattress itself.

I would recommend it to anybody. Such a small price and will substantially improve the comfort of any mattress. The reviews speak for themselves, and I can only endorse them further.

Master
    5 mattresses in the house and they are all Vi-spring

Master
    Well it was definitely worth it for our £2k Vi-Spring, and that was the sale price when we bought it in 2016.

It changed it from a very comfortable bed to an uber-comfortable bed, for just an additional 5% cost of the mattress itself.

I would recommend it to anybody. Such a small price and will substantially improve the comfort of any mattress. The reviews speak for themselves, and I can only endorse them further.
    Thanks, I’ll take a good look at that as well :-)