closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Explorer I alternatives?

I think the BB36 is a beautiful watch - good choice if you go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking72 View Post
    Quest update. Visited Covent Garden Tudor/Rolex shop and tried some watches for hands on research.

Tudor Ranger doesn’t work at all as the lume letters (sort of yellowish) take it away from Explorer territory. Nice watch though.

Surprised how the Black Bay 36mm wears a bit bigger than the 36mm Explorer I (tried both on) and frankly I like the Tudor better (!!!!). Going to sleep on it, but might have a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think the BB36 is a beautiful watch - good choice if you go for it.
    I’m hoping that Tudor upgrade the movements and bracelets soon then I think I’ll be back in for a BB36.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I’m hoping that Tudor upgrade the movements and bracelets soon then I think I’ll be back in for a BB36.

Not a fan of the movement?

Master
    I’ve had two in my time and had no complaints with performance. I seem to recall one ran slightly slow and one slightly fast by around 8spd. Perfectly acceptable for what was then an ETA movement rather than the current Sellita. Both were bought used at a suitably discounted price. I do think that the current retail price is too high without the so-called manufacture movement and lack of T lock clasp. From memory the current bracelet is very comfortable once dialled in.

if you can get past the internalised rolex hype in your mind, you won't regret it. i've had 2 explorers and bought the bb36 to see if i wanted the 36mm expl1 again. mine runs +2/3 secs a day and i prefer the dial and slightly larger size relative to the explorer.
    if you're not set on new, theyre rarely on sc here but can be had on ebay for 1650-1750 whcih is a good price in today's world

Grand Master
    Much as I see the appeal of the Explorer 1 I do think it's over-rated. I owned mine for 9 years before selling it on, as part of a collection it was OK but eventually I found the watch a bit boring. Ironically it was the money tied up in it that tipped me over the edge to sell, but if I`d kept it the watch would be worth at least £1500-£2K more by now so in hindsight it was the wrong call.

Best homage I`ve handled is the Incipio, had 2 of these on the bench over the past 12 months, they're difficult to find so it was v. unlikely to get 2 in for service but it happened.

PRS 25 is a good call at a fraction of the cost, I couldn't justify having over £5K tied up in a watch, others will obviously think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I’ve had two in my time and had no complaints with performance. I seem to recall one ran slightly slow and one slightly fast by around 8spd. Perfectly acceptable for what was then an ETA movement rather than the current Sellita. Both were bought used at a suitably discounted price. I do think that the current retail price is too high without the so-called manufacture movement and lack of T lock clasp. From memory the current bracelet is very comfortable once dialled in.

Yeah this exactly replicates my thoughts. I prefer the size and aesthetic of the BB36 to the Ranger but they are the same (or near enough) RRP, yet the Ranger has the in house COSC 70hr movement and T-Fit clasp, whereas the BB36 has a Sellita movement and basic fold over clasp. As such, the BB doesn’t represent good value at all and I don’t see how Tudor can justify the price hike this watch has had.

If I was after a BB36 I’d be looking on eBay, I saw a really nice one on there for £1750 the other week which actually does offer value.

If they brought it back with the same upgrades the Ranger has had, at the same RRP I’d be all over it, cracking watch.

Going to comment on the incipio, got lost in translation
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 4th March 2023 at 06:22.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Going to comment on the incipio, got lost in translation
    I have one. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    I have one. Love it.

Me too mate, I like it much more than the 14270 that I have. Both visually and feel whilst wearing them.
    My best buy last year
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 4th March 2023 at 14:49.

I refer you to post no. 58 in this very thread.
    ______

​Jim.

I recently bought a Nivada Grenchen Antarctic Spider which is absolutely stunning. I think their Super Antarctic is a very cool and under the radar Explorer alternative.

Craftsman
    Any mention of the steinnhart adventurer?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Any mention of the steinnhart adventurer?

I do really like Steinhart as a brand (I own four of their models) and the Adventure definitely looks like a superb piece, just wish it was in 36mm as the 39mm looks a bit too large overall for myself.

Rolex just made the Explorer 40mm (no thanks) and Tudor put the Black Bay 36 on a jubilee strap (in house movement tho, but also no thanks).

Master
    Blog Entries
    They still do it in the 36mm case

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Me too mate, I like it much more than the 14270 that I have. Both visually and feel whilst wearing them.
    My best buy last year
    Really pleased your enjoying the incipio. I sold two here last year and I think there the best 1016 homage there is. You can still get them from Japan.

There slightly smaller than a 1016 but look great all the same.

Master
    Have you considered a Rail master? I really enjoy mine.

https://ibb.co/0G67hw4