closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Older Tissot service

Master

Older Tissot service

A good friend of mine has come by his fathers watch in the usual way and its of great sentimental significane to him, but not working as it should. He would like pointers to a repair and service place local to him, Larkhall/Glasgow/Edinburgh area.

This is a similar watch

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203325209...mis&media=COPY

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont know if of use but Tissot have said they'd service my dads old pr 516 so I think the mothership should still deal with the oldies.

Master
    Many thanks Verv, i will pass it along.

Grand Master
    This may be straightforward to sort out or it could be a nightmare, you never know with old watches. All depends on the condition.

Assuming its an automatic, the biggest headache is likely to be the rotor bearing closely followed by a worn mainspring barrel. I sorted one out 3 years ago using a similar NOS movement which kindly donated its auto- winding assembly. Parts availability is the big problem thesedays and if it needs several bits replacing it would be better going to someone like Duncan Potter (Genesis) who has a Swatch Group parts account, but don’t expect it to be cheap!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    This may be straightforward to sort out or it could be a nightmare, you never know with old watches. All depends on the condition.

Assuming its an automatic, the biggest headache is likely to be the rotor bearing closely followed by a worn mainspring barrel. I sorted one out 3 years ago using a similar NOS movement which kindly donated its auto- winding assembly. Parts availability is the big problem thesedays and if it needs several bits replacing it would be better going to someone like Duncan Potter (Genesis) who has a Swatch Group parts account, but don’t expect it to be cheap!
    Many thanks, i will pass on your words, its not my sentiment or money.

If it is the watch in the ebay link it has a plastic movement called the Tissot cal. 2280 (the listing description is wrong). This was an adaptation of the cal.2250 which was first used in the Tissot Research Idea 2001, introduced in 1971 and arguably the forerunner to Swatch watches. It was designed as a sealed, self lubricating movement and the only metal parts are the keyless works and balance wheel from memory. I doubt Tissot would be interested in servicing what was intended as a disposable movement, over half a century old.

Probably the best bet would be to source a working donor watch and get a good independent watchmaker to swap the movements over. All of this is assuming your friends watch is indeed an Tissot Autolub.

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Omegary; 20th February 2023 at 21:23. Reason: Poor grammer

Grand Master
    Every day’s a schooday, thanks Gary for posting. I assumed the movement would be a conventional automatic, can’t recall the Tissot numbers off the top of my head, but the one I have in mind is straightforward.

If this watch has the autolube movement it might not be fixable and that’s a great shame given the sentimental value.

Yep it's a weird movement Paul, allegedly self lubricating because of the extensive use of synthetics, I don't think it had any jewels but I could be wrong about that. Plastic main plate and bridges, even the pallet fork, escape wheel and barrel where all plastic. The Lemania 5100 has nothing on the cal. 2250 when it comes to plastic content!

There's a good article about it below if anyone's interested.

https://www.watchonista.com/articles...tic-revolution

Cheers,
    Gary

Autolubs had one jewel. Balance spring, mainspring and stem were metal, everything else was plastic. As the name suggests they were sealed up and designed not to need servicing. They were also called Sytal or Astrolon movements.
    I have one in a 70's Lanco. It's still going strong with no issues at all.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Yep it's a weird movement Paul, allegedly self lubricating because of the extensive use of synthetics, I don't think it had any jewels but I could be wrong about that. Plastic main plate and bridges, even the pallet fork, escape wheel and barrel where all plastic. The Lemania 5100 has nothing on the cal. 2250 when it comes to plastic content!

There's a good article about it below if anyone's interested.

https://www.watchonista.com/articles...tic-revolution

Cheers,
    Gary
    Just had a read, I've a vague recollection of having heard about these in the distant past. Horrible thing in my opinion, plastic isn't the right stuff to make movements from, must've seemed like a good idea at the time!

Master
    Thanks to all, i have passed on the information.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Just had a read, I've a vague recollection of having heard about these in the distant past. Horrible thing in my opinion, plastic isn't the right stuff to make movements from, must've seemed like a good idea at the time!
    I had one years ago with this movement. Interesting but poor timekeeping, I seem to remember they were notorious for it.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    If the movement is the autolub and it is dead, it may still be possible to swap it with a more traditional mechanical movement from the same period. A lot of the vintage Tissots from this time used very similar cases. Of course, you'd need to find a donor watch or spare movement and check the critical dimensions, but it could be an option to keep a very sentimental item in some kind of working order. This link shows a similar watch with an automatic day/date movement....

https://watchguy.co.uk/service-tisso...-calibre-2571/

Sent from my SM-S901B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks, that sounds like a decent possible workaround.

Grand Master
    First thing to establish is whether the movement is the autolub or not. If not it’ll be far easier to sort out and I would be prepared to get involved. If it is the autolub it may not be so easy to fit a conventional mechanical movement, cases may look similar but the devils in the detail, cases are machined to take a specific movement and movement ring. Movement height and date window position can be a problem, unfortunately it isn’t straightforward.

Master
    It is the Plastic movement, not seen it my self but he has had the back off.

Grand Master
    Might be of interest to those who haven’t seen one: https://youtu.be/zYFLnstvADQ
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Swapping the movement out with one from the 2451 movement family might not be that straightforward (if necessary), as measurements appear to be a bit different?
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...wk&Tissot_2451
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...wk&Tissot_2250
    It seems these guys had nos ones at some point https://urdelar.se/products/tissot-a...32947070369877
    maybe worth an inquiery.