closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my cunning plan cunning enough.

For all those recommending that the OP wear a Casio, a Seiko or somesuch: Picky Me is an elected representative (el presidente of the owners' association, or something) in his pueblecito.

He must have an upmarket watch to reflect his status & standing in the community. Remember, his Omega just doesn't cut it.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You could just buy one of our host's watches. Nice and easy to wear, well regarded and cheap enough. Mind you, if there really was a market that I didn't dare wear the watch of my choice to due to the excessive crime, I'd probably not be there in the first place.

Which Constellation do you have that you don't like? Perhaps a photo?

Alternatively, in the spirit of a historically popular succession movement that has not aged well, you could just wear a fake Rolex and donate the money saved to the fundraiser?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Why bother with a watch, your phone will do everything you need.
    But hey, that just starts another discussion - an i-phone 14 is just as likely to be targeted.

Mick, the obvious answer is to do what the toffs did in Victorian London - get your wife to walk with a sword stick so she really defend your honour.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    For all those recommending that the OP wear a Casio, a Seiko or somesuch: Picky Me is an elected representative (el presidente of the owners' association, or something) in his pueblecito.

He must have an upmarket watch to reflect his status & standing in the community. Remember, his Omega just doesn't cut it.
    Pride usually comes before a fall especially once past a certain age.

With his status in mind, the answer is obvious, hire a bodyguard for trips to the dodgy Sunday Market! Then everyone will know how important he is and he can wear whatever.
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th February 2023 at 12:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    OT, but saying an Omega Constellation is 'heap of muck' is quite insulting to the many tz'ers on here who hold Omega in high regard. You are a watch brand snob who has no interest in watches IMHO. Don't expect any help from Omega afficionados on the forum or any other watch lovers.
    Enjoy your holiday though whatever you decide & stay safe.
    I said in my opening statement that the Omega felt like a heap of muck compared to a Rolex. On reflection I accept that it was inappropriate to say that and apologies for any offence caused.

I wore the Omega Constellation Manhattan almost every day from the mid 1980s up to Jan 2014 when I treated myself to an Explorer as a birthday present to myself. I have since become a self confessed Rolex fan and prefer them to any other brand and that includes Pateks.

I am going to give the Omega another try and will adopt a more positive attitude to it. I had it fully serviced by Omega last year so I may as well use the thing and I am usually out in Spain for about 5 months each year, so it will get a fair amount of use.

Let's see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The "high risk" area was a Sunday market in a coastal town. I have since found out that there have been several incidents of elderly ladies having their handbags stolen but the good news, if you can call it that, is that violence is hardly ever used.

I now never wear any watch in those areas.
    Bloody forriners, wherever you go. Even in good old Blighty.

Might as well lay down and die.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Bloody forriners, wherever you go. Even in good old Blighty.

Might as well lay down and die.
    I am the foreigner when in Spain, just a bloody tourista.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Stop worrying about how you present yourself to your peers. Wear a Casio.

This. Why is a Rolex so important to you?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    This. Why is a Rolex so important to you?
    I find the 5 digit watches a thing of beauty but not over keen on the six digit stuff- too blingy.

I find the 5 digit watches a thing of beauty but not over keen on the six digit stuff- too blingy.

Quite agree with you there.

However, if I was too frail to feel safe wearing one I would wear something different. Maybe wear it around your house where it is safer?

Master
    Go somewhere other than Spain?
    On holiday I often don’t bother with a watch, I eat/drink with help of my stomach timing, or check the sign outside a pharmacist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    On holiday I often don’t bother with a watch, I eat/drink with help of my stomach timing, or check the sign outside a pharmacist.
    I have a holiday home in Spain and also I feel naked without a watch on my wrist.

I have a holiday home in Spain and also I feel naked without a watch on my wrist.
    Moonswatch, Sinn, Christopher Ward, CWC, Marathon, Seiko.

I would probably go for a Sinn 556i. Beautiful, timeless watch but too small for my wrist

In your situation Mick I would wear a nice Seiko.

Forget the status symbol Rolexes, I have. All sold.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Not sure that works in all countries.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I said in my opening statement that the Omega felt like a heap of muck compared to a Rolex. On reflection I accept that it was inappropriate to say that and apologies for any offence caused.

I wore the Omega Constellation Manhattan almost every day from the mid 1980s up to Jan 2014 when I treated myself to an Explorer as a birthday present to myself. I have since become a self confessed Rolex fan and prefer them to any other brand and that includes Pateks.

I am going to give the Omega another try and will adopt a more positive attitude to it. I had it fully serviced by Omega last year so I may as well use the thing and I am usually out in Spain for about 5 months each year, so it will get a fair amount of use.

Let's see how it goes.
    No, you are right, the eighties Constellation Manhattan is a heap of muck and possibly the lowest point that SSIH hit before Hayek saved them. I withdraw my Omega offence. Perhaps you might consider any other Constellation from any other period?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    In your situation Mick I would wear a nice Seiko.

Forget the status symbol Rolexes,..
    Quite - when we holidayed in Barcelona I took the two on the left...

One for exploring, one for the pool.

z

Grand Master
    The "high risk" area was a Sunday market in a coastal town. I have since found out that there have been several incidents of elderly ladies having their handbags stolen but the good news, if you can call it that, is that violence is hardly ever used.

I now never wear any watch in those areas.
    Ok sounds bloody awful.Just stay in sipping Sangria,not too much or you might stumble and damage whatever watch is safe to wear indoors.

Although I can suggest a G-Shock if stumbling might happen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I gather the impression that most people consider this a ‘1st world problem’ maybe?

A lot of fuss about nothing really

Plenty of sensible suggestions

Here's another

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    A lot of fuss about nothing really
    Precisely, like a stuck record.

Master

Let's see how it goes.
    Fair reply, thank you. Have a great time at your hacienda.

1. Holiday somewhere else
    2. Where the bloody thing
    3. Wear it on a Nato
    4. Wear something else - a "substitute" on a bracelet, will still attract unwanted attention, so a G-Shock/Garmin etc is probably the safe choice
    5. Don't wear anything at all

But in all honesty, why go back there if there's such a risk?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    1. Holiday somewhere else
    2. Where the bloody thing
    3. Wear it on a Nato
    4. Wear something else - a "substitute" on a bracelet, will still attract unwanted attention, so a G-Shock/Garmin etc is probably the safe choice
    5. Don't wear anything at all

But in all honesty, why go back there if there's such a risk?
    Because he has a property there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Because he has a property there.
    Should have got a great big turnip in the country.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    Apologies Mick, ive just come off a ukrainian thread on another forum. Let’s cut the crap - your wife fought off a previous attacker, you say you couldn’t live with the guilt if your wife was hurt in that (or any subsequent) attack, your wife has recently sufferred a severe stroke- F#@“%§$€¥ away maybe?

Blog Entries
    I have the answer! If you must wear a Rolex, Mick - get yourself a second hand Cellini? The robbing turds won't recognise it.

(I had my Rolex Submariner taken off my wrist in Barcelona back in 2014 - didn't notice until I got back to the hotel - insured so got a replacement but still really a b*gger of an experience).

NB - I can recommend Portugal - no one cares a rats dooda what your wear.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

You're desperate for everyone to know you have a Rolex collection but don't want any undesirables to notice. That's fantasy land I'm afraid. Your brand snobbery (and just general snobbery) is clouding your view here. You had an awful experience but you're still prepared to take risks by wearing expensive trinkets.

Why not wear them in the house, in friends houses and places you know to be safe? At any other time, wear a Smiths or a Seiko (you'll probably vomit the first few times) for a very low risk and low stress life. The medium risk option would be to wear your Rolex everywhere but on leather or a nato.

Your tolerance for risk will ultimately make your decision.

Wear and enjoy your Rolex, but not to the Sunday market?

A lot of fuss about nothing.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    A lot of fuss about nothing.
    I'm sure there will be photos one day...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m certain Mick has just posted this for some ‘sport’ - rainy day in Spain perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I’m certain Mick has just posted this for some ‘sport’ - rainy day in Spain perhaps
    I thought the rain in Spain stayed mainly in the plains.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I think you should wear two Rolexes at least, one on each wrist. Rolex shirt and cap as well. YOLO!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I think you should wear two Rolexes at least, one on each wrist. Rolex shirt and cap as well. YOLO!
    Nearly half of the expats wear gold Daydates, so status symbol they are not. This is probably why the ringers go there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nearly half of the expats wear FAKE gold Daydates, so status symbol they are not. This is probably why the ringers go there.
    50/50 chance of hitting it big
    Last edited by Suds; 19th February 2023 at 15:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    50/50 chance of hitting it big
    I don't think they are the fake wearing type to be honest, a lot of them are ex police.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Wear the Rolex, with pride. It is insured isn't it? Don't go to dodgy areas... problem solved.
    Insurance won’t but of much use if you get mugged and seriously injured.

Nowadays you need to be mad to wear Rolex or a gold watch in Spain. In my line of businesses there is a big annual conference in Barcelona, and every year several participants got mugged and some got watches stollen. Last year I was with a Huawei smartwatch or Seiko Monster, no way I am risking an expensive watch there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they are the fake wearing type to be honest, a lot of them are ex police.
    Comedy gold.
    ______

​Jim.

LOLZ

Nearly half of the expats wear gold Daydates, so status symbol they are not. This is probably why the ringers go there.

I’m sure they’ve all appeared on “bargain brits in the sun”. Perhaps without a Rolex you feel inferior to your peer group?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I thought the rain in Spain stayed mainly in the plains.
    Even the Spanish skies weep when Mick rolls into town.

You're not selling the place, it sounds awful, please which part are you describing, so I know to never, ever go there?

Blog Entries
    I hope to be off to Spain in a few weeks and it appears to be a hot spot for Rolex theft even though the country has an overall low rate of crime.

I wore my old Omega Constellation on the last visit and to be honest it felt like a heap of muck compared to a Rolex.

I want to wear a good watch up with Rolex but even my Explorer1 is instantly recognisable as a Rolex and I am therefore still an easy target.

So I am thinking of a JLC Reverso. The quality probably exceeds Rolex and when I am in a high risk area, I can wear it with the flip side turned over, so only a steel plate is on view. I could even get JLC to apply black enamel to make it look like a cheap wearable computer or whatever it is called.

It seems plausible to me, does anyone think otherwise?
    Wear long sleeves.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Wear a gumshield.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’m sure they’ve all appeared on “bargain brits in the sun”. Perhaps without a Rolex you feel inferior to your peer group?
    Red chino brigade.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I know a fair amount of ex-coppers, not many of them are wearing Rolex’s. 😂

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah, they were senior ossifers, Masonic Lodge (nudge nudge, wink wink)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Radiomir.

not immediately identifiable

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    I know a fair amount of ex-coppers, not many of them are wearing Rolex’s. 😂
    He didn’t say ex-coppers, he said ex-Police, I like to think of Mick flexing with Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland.