TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 8 Best Microbrand Watch Investments 2023

8 Best Microbrand Watch Investments 2023

According to Oracle Time

https://oracleoftime.com/best-microb...8e2c-130671182

Hopefully the link works
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I don't have an interest in watches as investments, thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Sadly you're probably in the minority these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post

Truth.

Even as a noob I can see the 'investment' mindset is sucking the life right out of the hobby.

5k uplift on a CW!

Who is mad enough to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    In that case he's in a minority of at least 2, along with me.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    In that case he's in a minority of at least 2, along with me.
    Make that 3.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Make that 3.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Are these prices serious? Dont mean to sound harsh but these are basically 8 unremarkable micro brands some of which have been around for years. Is this something that stuck from lockdown where people couldnt go out so just bought pretty much anything online? The Baltic one was purchased by a few on here and the reviews of the dial suggested they are pretty unremarkable, Anordain were selling off the shelf a couple of years ago and the small cased ones were just over a grand. Unimatic are now selling double the price pre-owned, where? Who on earth is buying this stuff. The first one, yes an interesting dial but its basically a Seagull you can get dozens of Seagull movement watches for £150 - £200 on ebay

Where on earth are they getting their used pricing from?
    It's just a matter of time...

I’d happily have any of these at the right price ,but I’m not sure I’d spend more than 2k on any micro brand

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I’d happily have any of these at the right price ,but I’m not sure I’d spend more than 2k on any micro brand
    The ability to support, service, repair their products is a real issue. The vast majority of micro brands are a punt or a bit of fun. Yes you will get a great looking well made (some of the time) watch but there are plenty of horror stores out there regarding warranty work and the inability of getting it done when it all goes wrong.
    Until they solve this there will always be a limit to what people are willing to spend on a micro brand watch. It becomes even more of an issue used.
    As an investment option, the article reads as a puff / click piece because the usual suspects are a little more volatile than they were a year ago and they have nothing else to write about.
    If you are looking at making £40 on a watch as worthwhile investment you might want to look at other options - a fruit machine for example.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 15th February 2023 at 08:57.

Craftsman
    After reading that I think I know what made me lose interest in watches ten years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Where on earth are they getting their used pricing from?
    Maybe throwing dice or a crystal ball.

Sigh……watches as investments again……if you want investments read the FT or whatever for goodness sake!

If anyone buys a microbrand watch and hasn't either assumed they'll keep it for the foreseeable or will lose half their capital, they are, at best, mistaken.

Need some evidence? Check the tungsten diver on SC.

I love niche, differentiated watches and am happy to accept that going off piste probably means it's not an investment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Sigh……watches as investments again……if you want investments read the FT or whatever for goodness sake!
    Agreed. Make that 6
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    As much as I love my anOrdain, I'd probably sell it for £8k! Though it is unique so knowing I couldn't replace it even with a 2yr wait does make that decision harder.

The Bel Canto is a tremendous watch, and An Ordain has enamelling expertise, but that uplift is nowhere near. I wouldn’t call them microbrands either.

The whole idea of investment has caused all kinds of trouble in this “hobby”, although for true microbrands my advice would be to enjoy the fun you get and regard them as disposable. I was lucky to get nearly all my money back on two Unimatics I owned and I’m hoping to have learnt a lesson about not buying any more of this type of watch

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Indeed. This headline of the article annoys the sh!t out of me.

Master
    Come on, fellas. The article is online journalism. Most journalism is rubbish, online journalism is silly rubbish.

This article was very probably written in in the author's bedroom. He's a teenager, trying to get a job.

Michael Sonsino

As Junior Content Producer for Oracle Time, Michael needs an eye for detail, which makes it a good thing that his twin joys in life are miniatures and watches. While a relative newcomer to the magazine, he's nonetheless a lifelong fan of fine timepieces, especially those of a more historic nature - if it has a twist of Art Deco, all the better.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A teenager who plays Warhammer. Or at least that is what 'minatures' is usually a euphemism for. Mind you, I'm always happy to have the competition reduced by removing the stupid and gullible when looking for decent watches.

Master
    It’s exactly these sort of articles that are perpetuating the issue and killing the hobby.

I am pretty sure nobody ever got a girlfriend by saying they are interested in ‘miniatures’ or watches.

I'll be bet there are a lot of men that have a girlfriend (or wife) and who also play Warhammer. Not a lot different to those men who have games nights with an Xbox or Playstation and their mates, with the other half 'tolerating' it.

It's possible money changed hands in the writing of this article.

Still, if you ignore the Chrono24++ used prices there's some nice looking watches there.

With CAD and Chinese manufacturing it's never been easier or cheaper to design and make a watch; the days of Kemmner / Fricker cases and ETA movements are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

Still, if you ignore the Chrono24++ used prices there's some nice looking watches there.

With CAD and Chinese manufacturing it's never been easier or cheaper to design and make a watch; the days of Kemmner / Fricker cases and ETA movements are long gone.

Just look at completed auctions on eBay.... the prices in the article are reflective of the recent sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    Just look at completed auctions on eBay.... the prices in the article are reflective of the recent sales.
    My guess is thats all the author of that article has done to give those prices. Just because one or two watches have sold way overprices does not mean thats what you are going to get though or thats what they are worth. Its a bit like when you see Steinhart watches on ebay getting sold over retail price when you can just order online from their online store or chronomaster at the correct price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

I remember getting a Kemmner marine watch for about £300. Unitas hand wind movement, Roman numeral dial if I remember correctly......