closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If branding is deleted what watch are you wearing?

Craftsman
    My PRS1 - it already is sterile.

I’d prefer my CWC W10 Mellor without the branding, tritium’T’ or the mark of the Board of Ordinance.

I’d wear either of these before my Rolex Explorer (branded or not) but that’s due to the size.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Wasn't his wife set upon at the golf club for his watch? Although quite right, no evidence of that.

I thought his wife protected him from a female watch thief?

Master
    I’ll wear a BALL diver company engineer deepquest

Christopher Ward, so long as you guarantee there's defo no branding on it!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I love matte black dials with flat printed tritium markers.

So vintage Omega SM300 (either “12” or “ Big Triangle”) or Rolex 1016 Explorer.

Genuinely cool. No white gold surrounds, no applied logos, nothing to catch the light. Bling free tools

Blog Entries
    I might swap around one or two of the watches I own. One has a very distinctive cyclops and case shape and Mercedes hands. If it sold for the same price as it does now it could pay for a very nice FF on SC I have my eye on maybe with change to spare. I don’t really care what the printing on the dial is and they could be “sterile” - but I do care about the brand and I have grown to appreciate some. It is a shame some brands drop 50% off MRP when bought compared to others that attract premiums second hand. But we do live in a commercial world and brand image is paramount (not necessarily technical prowess).

Watch “collectors” remind me of vintage car collectors. Models are lovingly restored with authentic or manufactured parts. Out of date technology (ICE) is revered though modern (currently EV - with so much less no wing parts and maintenance) - watches equivalent is mechanical compared to quartz.

Anyway, I digress. As said - I don’t care what the dial says, I care about the brand and I like diversity in my little watch collection - mainly a diverse technology / complication.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't bother me what's on the dial or not, the only appeal would be the reduction in theft risk etc.

There are some naff brands out there but you either like the watch or you don't.

I buy watches I want to wear and don't give a rats a$$ what others think of them.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id still be wearing the same watches tbh as its the style I like.
    Eg I really dont like Panerai as a brand (particularly in recent years) but I love the watches and always go back to them.

No date sub.

If you asked 100 people to draw a picture of a watch 95 of them would draw a no date sub without even knowing what a Rolex was.

Name aside it’s the best design on any watch.

Red face

Probably an Apple Watch. :)

Craftsman
    I've had to retype my reply a few times as I'm struggling to justify my true response, but here goes...

No way would I pay the prices for my collection if there were no brand names on them. I just wouldn't.
    The brand name is what makes them an unjustifiably expensive, luxury item. Take those brand names away and I'd probably cap my spend at Ł1k which comes no where near the value of any piece in the collection.

As to what I'd actually buy and wear. Either a stainless steel Apple Watch, or Seiko Prospex.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    No date sub.

If you asked 100 people to draw a picture of a watch 95 of them would draw a no date sub without even knowing what a Rolex was.

I reckon most would add a date to their scribble of a watch face. So, I'm thinking (Date) Sub [or SD, as not many would add / want the carbuncle].

Master
    Blog Entries

I think most would draw a simple Oyster Perpetual, or with Arabic’s a IWC Mark II.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    In my opinion the Explorer is a watch that just cannot be bettered.
    Here you go:

The definitive Explorer has to be the 1016. So the same case and dial pattern but with the superior period Omega hands and movement married to a decent Seiko Grand bracelet.

But I'd still go for the watch that's been going for ever, in every sense:

No date sub.

I doubt that.

I suspect most would draw a simple 2 handed dress watch.

Of course, the Sub is relatively simple, but that doesn't mean the child's clock drawing is a Rolex!

Actually, reading on, I'd say if any Rolex was the one people draw it would be the Explorer.

Academic, though, since we'll never test the theory.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 14th February 2023 at 19:11.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I doubt that.

I suspect most would draw a simple 2 handed dress watch.

Of course, the Sub is relatively simple, but that doesn't mean the child's clock drawing is a Rolex!

Actually, reading on, I'd say if any Rolex was the one people draw it would be the Explorer.

Academic, though, since we'll never test the theory.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Explorer or OP are good options

But I think the Porsche 911 and Rolex Sub are truly iconic designs which have never aged.

I can't afford the Porsche but can afford the watch

Craftsman
    Roger Smith wears an Explorer as his daily which I think is the closest example of someone who didn’t pick a watch because of branding.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This:

Pretty sure there will be something very similar on Ali Express…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Pretty sure there will be something very similar on Ali Express…
    Isn’t that the point though? Remove the branding and what are you left with? (my pic was of my Patek - I “photoshopped“ out the name.)

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th February 2023 at 21:23.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This:

Looks great.

Isn’t that the point though? Remove the branding and what are you left with? (my pic was of my Patek - I “photoshopped“ out the name.)
    ]
    You’re left with exactly the same as you have. Apple removed their logo from the front of the latest iMac range. It doesn’t mean it’s an inferior product, or buying something that looks similar from Ali Express will do the same job. Logo or not it’s still an iMac.

Remove the brand name from all watches and their inherent design, quality, history and prestige remains. You just have to look a little deeper to recognise it.

Exactly the same watches I already have including the Zenith de Luca and MM600.

Serica

Sort of an easy answer, but also a cheat as the name is on there, just in tiny tiny writing. Serica 4512 - such a cool watch. Had one and loved it and then sold it to a chap on here. Kind of hoping he sells it back to me at some point!

I think the real question is: would you wear a watch with no brand value (possibly to show off)?

Probably tons of people like this in such a forum of wis!

My answer is... all of my watches

BUBI
    @porque.racing

All of mine, branding and history means a lot less to me than the quality of the product.
    A more interesting question would be, if a Men In Black style memory wipe was conducted on the whole world, and all previous knowledge of watch brands, their history, and fashion were gone, would the current market leaders be able to re-establish their position with their current offerings? In my opinion they wouldn’t even get close.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    … if a Men In Black style memory wipe was conducted on the whole world. . .
    Goodness me! If that happened the last thing to concern us would be watch branding! Reminds me of the John Lennon song, “Imagine”.

Goodness me! If that happened the last thing to concern us would be watch branding! Reminds me of the John Lennon song, “Imagine”.
    Stand by me

BUBI
    @porque.racing