closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mac Mini Advice

Craftsman

Mac Mini Advice

Looking for some advice please on speccing a Mac Mini M2. I'll primarily be using it for photo editing with the usual browsing, home admin etc tasks.

I'm considering the standard M2 with upgraded 512GB hard drive and 16GB RAM.
    My question: Is it worth further upgrading to 24GB RAM or am I into the realms of diminishing returns. I know photo processing relies mainly on RAM rather than GPU.

Thoughts appreciated please from any Mac experts

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Not an expert but I do seem to have 3 Macs in use at the moment, with 8, 16 and 32GB memory.

I use the 8GB one (a Mac Mini from 2014…) for photo editing, mainly because it has a large screen attached. It's entirely fine. There is a 2021 Apple M1Pro / 32GB plugged in right next to it, but I don’t feel any need to switch to it.

So I think your spec will be more than adequate unless you are loading vast raw files and making 100s of layers or adjustments per image.

Craftsman
    Hi, I recently bought a Macbook air M2 to "update " as I used (and continue to do so) an IMac 2012 but on an old OS (Yosemite) so I can use iPhoto and Aperture, This has 12gb mb RAM and still works very well with RAW files and no too laggy. The Air appears to be somewhat quicker but in the native photos app. Upshot is that I think you'll be fine with the lower RAM in the mini, good luck. Cheers, John B4

Master
    If you can live with 8GB RAM but still want the 512GB SDD then this is probably a good deal at the moment;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-deskt...ps%2C70&sr=8-5

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Looking for some advice please on speccing a Mac Mini M2. I'll primarily be using it for photo editing with the usual browsing, home admin etc tasks.

I'm considering the standard M2 with upgraded 512GB hard drive and 16GB RAM.
    My question: Is it worth further upgrading to 24GB RAM or am I into the realms of diminishing returns. I know photo processing relies mainly on RAM rather than GPU.

Thoughts appreciated please from any Mac experts

I have been waiting for the release of an M2 MacMini to replace my still excellent but forced into obsolescence by Apple, 2012 iCore7 MacMini. I'll buy a new M2 model when funds permit.

I always advise my clients, I'm an IT consultant, to spend more money on RAM when buying a Mac, rather than HD storage. With online cloud options being comparatively cheap, and if you work collaboratively with others, either in the Google or Adobe spaces, much of your work can be stored safely in the cloud.

The old adage, the more RAM the merrier, still holds true. 16GB will doubtless serve you well for all the usual office and home uses. 24GB would be better if you are working with larger files in PS or ID. If you can afford it, why not fully future proof increases in the OS / app overheads by going for the extra RAM. I envisage running my M2 MacMini for as close to 10 years as I can, and over that lifetime the cost of additional RAM is miniscule.

I don’t edit photos but I wouldn’t be keen on buying a computer with 8gb RAM in 2023, particularly as you cannot change this at a later date.

If you’re not aware the storage on the 256gb M2 Mac mini is 30% slower than the M1 as they use 1x256gb Vs 2x128gb.

I think with 24gb if you needed it you would know it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I have been waiting for the release of an M2 MacMini to replace my still excellent but forced into obsolescence by Apple, 2012 iCore7 MacMini. I'll buy a new M2 model when funds permit.

I always advise my clients, I'm an IT consultant, to spend more money on RAM when buying a Mac, rather than HD storage. With online cloud options being comparatively cheap, and if you work collaboratively with others, either in the Google or Adobe spaces, much of your work can be stored safely in the cloud.

The old adage, the more RAM the merrier, still holds true. 16GB will doubtless serve you well for all the usual office and home uses. 24GB would be better if you are working with larger files in PS or ID. If you can afford it, why not fully future proof increases in the OS / app overheads by going for the extra RAM. I envisage running my M2 MacMini for as close to 10 years as I can, and over that lifetime the cost of additional RAM is miniscule.

I’d generally agree with this logic, however Apple have been at it again. With the introduction of the M2 platforms Apple have been using a ssd in the base models that has upto 50% less speed than the 512Gb systems. If you combine that with the inability to upgrade the memory or ssd & the generally longer lifespan of Mac’s I’d say 512Gb ssd & 24/32Gb of memory would be my start point.

Details of the storage throughput issue.
    https://www.macworld.com/article/148...-mac-mini.html

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’d generally agree with this logic, however Apple have been at it again. With the introduction of the M2 platforms Apple have been using a ssd in the base models that has upto 50% less speed than the 512Gb systems. If you combine that with the inability to upgrade the memory or ssd & the generally longer lifespan of Mac’s I’d say 512Gb ssd & 24/32Gb of memory would be my start point.

Details of the storage throughput issue.
    https://www.macworld.com/article/148...-mac-mini.html
    Another fine day on Planet Apple! Thanks for the link.

dkpw

Couldn't agree more and was about to post something similar. Personally, I'd say think about the RAM you need and then double it to ensure you're future proofed.

My M1 MBP has 64GB, and I know I'd have been fine with 32 right now. Yes, it was a tad over the top, but it's something I'll never have to think about again.

Master
    I think I read (or watched) somewhere that the new M series are much more memory efficient so you can get by with 8GB rather than needing 16GB. That said given you have less upgrade ability buy what you can afford I guess. Depends how long term you want to plan for really.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Couldn't agree more and was about to post something similar. Personally, I'd say think about the RAM you need and then double it to ensure you're future proofed.

My M1 MBP has 64GB, and I know I'd have been fine with 32 right now. Yes, it was a tad over the top, but it's something I'll never have to think about again.
    But you have all those really dark snaps to process, and that eats RAM..... ;)

This let's me go even darker

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This let's me go even darker
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy

"That," he said, "that... is really bad for the eyes."
    It was a ship of classic, simple design, like a flattened salmon, twenty yards long, very clean, very sleek. There was just one remarkable thing about it.

"It's so... black!" said Ford Prefect. "You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it!"

The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.

"Your eyes just slide off it..." said Ford in wonder.
    & the only thing in the known galaxy darker that that is one of Tony’s photos… ;-)

Can you buy 3rd party RAM for the Mini or is it sealed in?

I specified the lowest RAM when ordering my iMac in 2017 and bought extra RAM from Crucial, which just slots in and was much cheaper than going the Apple route.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Can you buy 3rd party RAM for the Mini or is it sealed in?

I specified the lowest RAM when ordering my iMac in 2017 and bought extra RAM from Crucial, which just slots in and was much cheaper than going the Apple route.
    Current Mac Minis are unable to be upgraded with RAM or SSD. What you order is what you get for the life of the computer.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. Based on the advice I think I'll go for the 24GB upgrade. This should give me a bit more longevity as Photoshop /Lightroom require more memory with each subsequent update

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    & the only thing in the known galaxy darker that that is one of Tony’s photos… ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don’t edit photos but I wouldn’t be keen on buying a computer with 8gb RAM in 2023, particularly as you cannot change this at a later
    On paper it looks a little, but it's equivalent to around 20GB of the very last of the Intel processor Macs. More than enough for pretty much everyone.

Although I'd agree in a way as I always go for the maximum of everything I can as a way of future proofing, even though I don't keep my Macs very long until I chop them in (being in the business it gives me quite some tax savings).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    On paper it looks a little, but it's equivalent to around 20GB of the very last of the Intel processor Macs. More than enough for pretty much everyone.

Although I'd agree in a way as I always go for the maximum of everything I can as a way of future proofing, even though I don't keep my Macs very long until I chop them in (being in the business it gives me quite some tax savings).
    Thanks for that. I think I'd rather spend another £200 now and get say an extra couple of years out of it before replacing the whole thing. This will be my first venture into the world of Mac but the mini looks ideal for my needs - small form and can sit on my desk rather than a larger tower PC which has always been my previous computer

Nothing wrong with 8gb in the right setup. I have the M1 with 8Gb and absolutely fine for me, quick as you (or I) like - I don't do video editing or gaming. There is such a thing as being over-specced.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

Interesting conversion, thanks for sharing. I’ve just got a refurb M1 Pro 16gb 512gb and it is unbelievably fast, if only just to boot. I’m very tempted to get the base spec M2 mini from Costco for £600 inc vat but the slower storage put me off on principle. Still debating it though.

And the Guardian give it a 5 Star review.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ighty-computer

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    There is such a thing as being over-specced.
    Completely agree, increasing the spec a new Mac Mini M2 for photo editing and web browsing is like buying a DeepSea to wear in fog.

Professional users like myself, and many other photographers, designers and creatives I know are using years old machines with much less performance than new Macs.